Books about Music

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

laraelisabeth

Books about Music

Post by laraelisabeth »

I know there is a book thread that has a good number of music books, but it seems to me this is deserving of a separate thread. As it combines two of my favorite activities- music and reading- I am always on the lookout for good ones, but sometimes think that the quality of writing does not reflect the greatness of the musician in question. I'll start.
The great- I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon.
The good- This Wheel's On Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of The Band.
The disappointing- Keith: Standing In The Shadows (by Stanley Booth, about Keith Richards).
there's no comfort in survival but I guess it's the best option I've found

beantownbubba

Re: Books about Music

Post by beantownbubba »

I just got Across the Great Divide (about the Band) out of the library. Looking forward to reading it.

IMO, the best book about rock/pop music remains Greil Marcus's classic Mystery Train, though admittedly his writing style is not for everyone. The book includes a chapter about, who else, the band :)

Just happened to look to my right where i spied Nick Hornby's Songbook,a really cool book of essays about songs he felt like writing about for one reason or another. Knowledgeable music fan + great writer + enthusiasm for his subject = great read.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

joelle

Post by joelle »

sadly beautiful
and
bittersweet

Clams

Post by Clams »

joelle wrote:Image
sadly beautiful
and
bittersweet

I read that one a couple of years ago. Sadly beautiful... you got it right.
If you don't run you rust

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Up and Down With The Rolling Stones by Spanish Tony This book is totally badass rock and roll excess. This was where the Keef legend began. Read it in high school.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

joelle

Post by joelle »

ImageImageImageImageImage

and...
for the kids

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I just started this one:

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This is Your Brain on Music is a freakin' ALSUM book, joelle!!! First time i've seen/heard anyone else mention it :)

joelle

Post by joelle »

beantownbubba wrote:This is Your Brain on Music is a freakin' ALSUM book, joelle!!! First time i've seen/heard anyone else mention it :)

i'm a real real awesome person. 8-) ;)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://www.amazon.com/Are-You-Ready-Cou ... 00167#noop

Are You Ready For The Country: Elvis, Dylan, Parsons and the Roots of Country Rock

should be required reading (especially on here)
from Hank to Uncle Tupelo, pretty damn comprehensive
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

both great reads, especially Townes
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Woody Guthrie: A Life- Joe Klein
the three-part Elvis biography series- Peter Guralnick (really great writer, check out Lost Highway and Feel Like Going Home)
Miles: The Autobiography
Country Music USA- Bill Malone
Our Band Could Be Your Life- Michael Azerrad

ditto on Mystery Train and Are You REady for the Country

back when I was just a little-assed G I really loved Up and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:This is Your Brain on Music is a freakin' ALSUM book, joelle!!! First time i've seen/heard anyone else mention it :)

Please don't keep it a secret. What's it about? Who wrote it? etc
If you don't run you rust

scotto

Post by scotto »

If you like jazz...

Heavily romanticized (and simplified), but a fun read nonetheless.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

My two favs have already been posted ("I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" and "This Wheel's on Fire").

Bob Dylan's "Chronicles" is great. Can't wait for Vol. 2. "Shaky," the Neil Young bio, has been on my shelf for ages, but I haven't gotten around to reading it.

"Cash," by Johnny Cash, of course.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

SandyBritches

Post by SandyBritches »

Far superior to Twenty Thousand Roads

whatwouldcooleydo?

I found Shakey to be a major disappointment. McDonough gets unprecedented access to Neil but ends up with a book that at times reads more about him than it does Neil. It's not horrible, but it is a major letdown. That was a one-shot deal and it was blown

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I love Shakey. I'm not sure what you were expecting, but I think it is an informative, enjoyable read.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:I love Shakey. I'm not sure what you were expecting, but I think it is an informative, enjoyable read.

glad it works for you

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

joelle wrote:

i'm a real real awesome person. 8-) ;)

Wait. I'm confused. I thought u were a bad person. :mrgreen:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:If you like jazz...

Heavily romanticized (and simplified), but a fun read nonetheless.

Agreed. My favorite part is when the author tries to explain Bird's talent for giving oral sex to his talent w/ the sax. :lol: (I'm not making that up). I was reading it in the library in college when i was supposed to be shelving books and i literally burst out laughing.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:

The book is by Daniel Levitin. From Amazon:

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Think of a song that resonates deep down in your being. Now imagine sitting down with someone who was there when the song was recorded and can tell you how that series of sounds was committed to tape, and who can also explain why that particular combination of rhythms, timbres and pitches has lodged in your memory, making your pulse race and your heart swell every time you hear it. Remarkably, Levitin does all this and more, interrogating the basic nature of hearing and of music making (this is likely the only book whose jacket sports blurbs from both Oliver Sacks and Stevie Wonder), without losing an affectionate appreciation for the songs he's reducing to neural impulses. Levitin is the ideal guide to this material: he enjoyed a successful career as a rock musician and studio producer before turning to cognitive neuroscience, earning a Ph.D. and becoming a top researcher into how our brains interpret music. Though the book starts off a little dryly (the first chapter is a crash course in music theory), Levitin's snappy prose and relaxed style quickly win one over and will leave readers thinking about the contents of their iPods in an entirely new way. (Aug.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
From School Library Journal
Adult/High School–Levitin's fascination with the mystery of music and the study of why it affects us so deeply is at the heart of this book. In a real sense, the author is a rock 'n' roll doctor, and in that guise dissects our relationship with music. He points out that bone flutes are among the oldest of human artifacts to have been found and takes readers on a tour of our bio-history. In this textbook for those who don't like textbooks, he discusses neurobiology, neuropsychology, cognitive psychology, empirical philosophy, Gestalt psychology, memory theory, categorization theory, neurochemistry, and exemplar theory in relation to music theory and history in a manner that will draw in teens. A wonderful introduction to the science of one of the arts that make us human.–Will Marston, Berkeley Public Library, CA
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Woody Guthrie: A Life- Joe Klein
the three-part Elvis biography series- Peter Guralnick (really great writer, check out Lost Highway and Feel Like Going Home)
Miles: The Autobiography
Country Music USA- Bill Malone
Our Band Could Be Your Life- Michael Azerrad

ditto on Mystery Train and Are You REady for the Country

back when I was just a little-assed G I really loved Up and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez

Loud "yes" on Guralnick, espy Vol. 1 of his Elvis bio. Actually, i don't know why i say that, all his books are great. One of those guys who seems to know every song ever recorded.

Don't know Tosches's Country book, but really liked his book on Jerry Lee. Called Hellfire i believe.

Greil Marcus's book on "Like a Rolling Stone" is interesting just to see how anyone could write a whole book about a single song.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I found Shakey to be a major disappointment. McDonough gets unprecedented access to Neil but ends up with a book that at times reads more about him than it does Neil. It's not horrible, but it is a major letdown. That was a one-shot deal and it was blown

The problem Jimmy McDonough had was that he had a written agreement to write an authorized biography but midway through the project Neil withdrew from the contract and the two men ended up in years of litigation. Finally, the courts ruled that McDonough could use the material. However, I think legally he had to put the info he got from Neil in italics and use the interviews verbatum. So, the book was as much a story of his struggle with Neil as a biography.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Author also wrote Last Train to Memphis- The Rise of Elvis Presley, which is recommended as well. It's been years since I've read this one & I forget where the 1st book ends and where this picks up in the life of Elvis. Sad story.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Image

Fascinating read. The complete history of Pink Floyd as told by their quiet, non-controversial drummer. In a band that became a clash of personalities, it's very interesting to hear the inside story from a neutral party.

Nick Mason: lukewarm water

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I HIGHLY recommend "Really The Blues" by Mezz Mezzrow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezz_Mezzrow

It's a amazing look into jazz culture and the marijuana underground in the 30s. A great read and a rare history.
Not forever, just for now.

joelle

Post by joelle »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Think of a song that resonates deep down in your being. Now imagine sitting down with someone who was there when the song was recorded and can tell you how that series of sounds was committed to tape, and who can also explain why that particular combination of rhythms, timbres and pitches has lodged in your memory, making your pulse race and your heart swell every time you hear it. Remarkably, Levitin does all this and more, interrogating the basic nature of hearing and of music making (this is likely the only book whose jacket sports blurbs from both Oliver Sacks and Stevie Wonder), without losing an affectionate appreciation for the songs he's reducing to neural impulses. Levitin is the ideal guide to this material: he enjoyed a successful career as a rock musician and studio producer before turning to cognitive neuroscience, earning a Ph.D. and becoming a top researcher into how our brains interpret music. Though the book starts off a little dryly (the first chapter is a crash course in music theory), Levitin's snappy prose and relaxed style quickly win one over and will leave readers thinking about the contents of their iPods in an entirely new way. (Aug.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
From School Library Journal
Adult/High School–Levitin's fascination with the mystery of music and the study of why it affects us so deeply is at the heart of this book. In a real sense, the author is a rock 'n' roll doctor, and in that guise dissects our relationship with music. He points out that bone flutes are among the oldest of human artifacts to have been found and takes readers on a tour of our bio-history. In this textbook for those who don't like textbooks, he discusses neurobiology, neuropsychology, cognitive psychology, empirical philosophy, Gestalt psychology, memory theory, categorization theory, neurochemistry, and exemplar theory in relation to music theory and history in a manner that will draw in teens. A wonderful introduction to the science of one of the arts that make us human.–Will Marston, Berkeley Public Library, CA
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

that ought to do it
now
read

joelle

Post by joelle »

beantownbubba wrote:
joelle wrote:i'm a real real awesome person. 8-) ;)

Wait. I'm confused. I thought u were a bad person. :mrgreen:

basically,i'm both.
sometimes simultaneously.