Neil young solo tour

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brstigerfan

Neil young solo tour

Post by brstigerfan »

So has anyone made it to one of these shows yet? I'm going Sunday to Spartanburg, and am very excited.
I have read some pretty negative reviews though. It looks like he's playing about an hour and a half, and there are 7 or so new songs sprinkled in.
I honestly don't have a problem with either of those things. I don't even care about a one song encore, that is going to be a song no one in the auditorium has ever heard before.
The thing that worries me is out of tune guitars and muffing up lyrics. Maybe a lot of this has improved as the tour has gone on. I hope it has.
Can anyone here offer a review?

Clams

Re: Neil young solo tour

Post by Clams »

I believe Beeblesticks posted a review a week or two ago in the Live Music thread.
If you don't run you rust

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

Clams wrote:I believe Beeblesticks posted a review a week or two ago in the Live Music thread.

Thanks, I went back and found it. Positive review for Neil. Negative review for the audience.
I hope we dont have a large contingent in SC screaming, "NEIL!"

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

brstigerfan wrote:
Clams wrote:I believe Beeblesticks posted a review a week or two ago in the Live Music thread.

Thanks, I went back and found it. Positive review for Neil. Negative review for the audience.
I hope we dont have a large contingent in SC screaming, "NEIL!"

Inevitable. Even old, hardened, salty, douche bags like myself have been known to throw out an obnoxious "Neil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" from time to time. I know. Hard to believe I can be obnoxious. But true.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

One of these shows is in Austin and I'm trying to convince my buddy that lives there that he CANNOT miss it.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Review from the recent Louisville show:

http://musicalbox.bloginky.com/2010/05/ ... rt-jansch/

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

We have tickets for Sun night. The Louisville Review has me pumped up for it.

cortez the killer

rlipps wrote:Review from the recent Louisville show:

“I said solo… they said acoustic.”

"fascinating, ear ringing electric playground of a tune"

Awesome! Were you there Rodney?
- DPM

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Nope, I didn't make the show, but I always like reading Walter Tunis' reviews. He does a good job and always comes to the DBT/Isbell shows when they are in the area.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

word from a solid source says that by the time Neil gets around to playing out west (assuming he does at all, not counting Bridge) he won't be solo. My source didn't know what this meant, but he is reliable, so who the fuck knows? Neil works in mysterious ways
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

Ill be in Hotlanta about 12 rows back tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

cortez the killer wrote:
rlipps wrote:Review from the recent Louisville show:

“I said solo… they said acoustic.”

"fascinating, ear ringing electric playground of a tune"

Awesome! Were you there Rodney?

Great write up.
Beebs is not a ragey man

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

Well, I feel like a complete dick for ever doubting the man. I saw an incredible performance last night. From the opening notes of My, My, Hey, Hey, I knew that every penny I'd spent on my ticket was worth it.
I had a huge grin on my face the entire concert, as I watched this man whose music I've worshiped since I was 14 years old.
Neil was brilliant. His voice sounded amazing, and I loved the electric stuff as well as the acoustic stuff.
It was a nice surprise for him to award the audience with Heart of Gold and Old Man in the encore.
I will say too that some of the new material stood toe to toe with the classics. It was a great night, and I'm glad that I can scratch a Neil Young show off my bucket list. Although, I hope he makes it back down here again.

PS: The audience is damn annoying. Yuck. He's not a fucking jukebox. shut up.

**Edit** I read some reviews on Thrasherswheat, and the consensus is that this was the best audience of the tour. It's amazing to me that the audiences are usually much worse. Why don't people just behave?

cortez the killer

brstigerfan wrote:Well, I feel like a complete dick for ever doubting the man. I saw an incredible performance last night. From the opening notes of My, My, Hey, Hey, I knew that every penny I'd spent on my ticket was worth it.

I've been going to Neil shows for 17 years now and have never seen a bad one. The man just brings it live. I'm glad you were able to experience the master in action.
- DPM

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

brstigerfan wrote:Well, I feel like a complete dick for ever doubting the man. I saw an incredible performance last night. From the opening notes of My, My, Hey, Hey, I knew that every penny I'd spent on my ticket was worth it.
I had a huge grin on my face the entire concert, as I watched this man whose music I've worshiped since I was 14 years old.
Neil was brilliant. His voice sounded amazing, and I loved the electric stuff as well as the acoustic stuff.
It was a nice surprise for him to award the audience with Heart of Gold and Old Man in the encore.
I will say too that some of the new material stood toe to toe with the classics. It was a great night, and I'm glad that I can scratch a Neil Young show off my bucket list. Although, I hope he makes it back down here again.

PS: The audience is damn annoying. Yuck. He's not a fucking jukebox. shut up.

**Edit** I read some reviews on Thrasherswheat, and the consensus is that this was the best audience of the tour. It's amazing to me that the audiences are usually much worse. Why don't people just behave?

Wow man, it was incredible. Glad I got to witness him live. But it has to get old for him to hear all those people screaming shit every night.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

cortez the killer wrote:

I've been going to Neil shows for 17 years now and have never seen a bad one. The man just brings it live. I'm glad you were able to experience the master in action.

^^

here's my review of the show two weeks ago:
http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/neil-yo ... -worceste/