Ronnie Montrose passes

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lone Wolf1

Ronnie Montrose passes

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Clams

Re: Ronnie Montrose passes

Post by Clams »

If you don't run you rust

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Sorry to see Ronnie get so little love here. Dude was a guitar fuckin' hero & far more underappreciated than you might imagine. Here are some of the great songs he played on:

R.I.P. Ronnie
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Slipkid42 wrote:Sorry to see Ronnie get so little love here.

Maybe because it wasn't until we had that Music Your Parents Listened To thread that I discovered that some of us are the age of a lot of people's parents on here. That said, even though Montrose was everywhere in the 70s and I was aware of who he was, I didn't own any Montrose albums.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

They were the same demographic last week when Davy J got some love. Montrose was definitely in my collection (in spades). I love hard rock & they were a very good hard rock band (with some great hard rock songs). Didn't get much radio love, though.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Slipkid42 wrote:They were the same demographic last week when Davy J got some love.

I don't have an answer then. It just never dawned on me until that Music Your Parents Listened To thread that apparently those of us that are in the late 40s and early 50s range (and older) are apparently in the minority here. At least that's the gist I got out of that thread. Or maybe all the Davy Jones love stemmed from the fact that he was much more of a household name than Ronnie Montrose was. Like I said in that thread, I was more of a fan of The Monkees tv show than I was of their music. I definitely listened to the music but never felt like I needed to own any of their albums or see them in concert.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Yeah, I looked @ that thread & it was mostly fogies like us, who had posted. I don't necessarily get that, though. I've always been interested in the music that came before me. Blues, Ragtime, Rockabilly; hell even Stephen Foster & Civil War songs. I can't imagine not lookin' back to see how we got here. I know hard rock & heavy metal & punk are not everyone's cup'o'tea; but my musical journey would not have been nearly as thrilling if it weren't for the head bangin'. Maybe hard rock is a tough sell on this board. It also could be that the board has been distinctly quiet in general lately; and the ones on here that would miss Ronnie, are in hibernation.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

The first Montrose album was, is, and always will be the shit.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

^^^^^^well said. The 2nd album had some major moments too. Up till Sammy couldn't drive 55.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

LBRod wrote:The first Montrose album was, is, and always will be the shit.

It is the only Sammy Hagar album I would ever listen to. Definitly the cream of that type of mid 70's testosterone rock, which I was never a huge fan of.

ruthy2705

Post by ruthy2705 »

Sad to see Ronnie gone. The 1st Montrose album is a classic and helped bring in a new era of American hard rock.