RIP Davy Jones

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LuthierJustin

RIP Davy Jones

Post by LuthierJustin »

Davy Jones died today, he was 66 :(
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

211poundsofpork

Re: RIP Davy Jones

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Yes indeed. Shedding a nostalgic tear for that famous Brady Bunch episode where Marcia goes to the school dance with him. Take the Last Train to Clarksville... :cry:

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Can't say I was ever a huge fan of The Monkees but I did watch their show pretty regularly when I was growing up. As I approach the big 5-0 later this year, Davy's passing makes me feel that much older.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm in the sad demographic.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

RIP Davy Jones.

I guess this is a good time to mention that Neil Young played on the Monkees song "You And I" which was co-written by Davy Jones and Bill Chadwick.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Bill in CT wrote:RIP Davy Jones.

I guess this is a good time to mention that Neil Young played on the Monkees song "You And I" which was co-written by Davy Jones and Bill Chadwick.

Too soon for anyone. I've heard that before. Wow!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

too young
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

My sister is very sad. I always watched the tv show. It was the weirdest thing on the air.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

211poundsofpork wrote:Yes indeed. Shedding a nostalgic tear for that famous Brady Bunch episode where Marcia goes to the school dance with him.

If you don't run you rust

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

I didn't believe it at first. Then I saw his face...
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Clams wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:Yes indeed. Shedding a nostalgic tear for that famous Brady Bunch episode where Marcia goes to the school dance with him.

Dammit, Marcia isn't..no she isn't...ageing in my wee, nostalgic mind...I'm not a Monkee fan, but they still had some nice songs/videos..

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

The reason the Monkees songs were all so good is because they were all written by people like Carole King and Neil Diamond
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LuthierJustin wrote:The reason the Monkees songs were all so good is because they were all written by people like Carole King and Neil Diamond

correct. they were the original "boy band". yet unlike manufactured groups of recent vintage, The Monkees had the charm and personality to pull it off. they went from a spoof of the Beatles to a legitimate musical entity
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Can't say I was ever a huge fan of The Monkees but I did watch their show pretty regularly when I was growing up. As I approach the big 5-0 later this year, Davy's passing makes me feel that much older.

I was a huge fan of the Monkees. As a matter of fact I remember at around the age of 7 or so fantasizing about having a party for all my friends with a life-sized cut out of the Monkees and spinning their records. It truly was the genesis of my love for live music. It all came full circle when in 1986 or so, the reunited Monkees played a concert at Weber State's Wildcat Stadium (almost literally in my back yard), and I had a backstage pass. The three things I remember most about that day were how much fun it was, how illogically smoking hot Mickey Dolenz' daughter is, and seeing Davey Jones changing costumes backstage. Thanks Davey for bringing innocent joy to a whole generation.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

He had four daughters. An embarrassment of riches!

(I'm 3 of 3, myself)
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

I was a huge fan , I remember getting all my chore`s done
so I could watch their show on Saturday morning`s and I had a major crush on Davy ...
I also had the lunch box set....sure wish I still had that.

Rest in peace Davy ....
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Kudzu Guillotine

One of my older brothers had their self-titled debut album which I used to play a lot. Outside of that and the TV show I've never really had a desire to own any of their albums or to see them in concert. Growing up back then it was hard to escape the Monkees, the Partridge Family, the Jackson Five, the Osmonds and other bands that were targeted at my age group so in that respect I have a lot of fond memories of that time of my life when bubblegum pop played such a big part in the music I listened to and the television shows that I watched. However, the first time I dropped a needle down on an Alice Cooper or Grand Funk record, that was all she wrote for the likes of the Monkees.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I never saw The Monkees but I did see Peter Tork in 2006 in Springfield, MA. He was pretty good.

Michael Nesmith is considered the most musically talented member of The Monkees. In fact, he is considered by many to be among the early innovators of country-rock with his early solo albums.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Kudzu Guillotine

Bill in CT wrote:Michael Nesmith is considered the most musically talented member of The Monkees. In fact, he is considered by many to be among the early innovators of country-rock with his early solo albums.

I've heard that over the years as well but I wasn't aware of his solo albums at all at the time, nor have I ever heard any of them.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:Michael Nesmith is considered the most musically talented member of The Monkees. In fact, he is considered by many to be among the early innovators of country-rock with his early solo albums.

I've heard that over the years as well but I wasn't aware of his solo albums at all at the time, nor have I ever heard any of them.

Magnetic South & Loose Salute, circa 1970 are seminal, alt country bedrock albums, well worth searching out.

From The Johnny Cash Show: This song is on Nesmith's Magnetic South

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

LuthierJustin wrote:The reason the Monkees songs were all so good is because they were all written by people like Carole King and Neil Diamond

Not quite true. My favorite Monkees song 'Sunny Girlfriend' was written by Mike Nesmith.

R.I.P. Davy. I forgive you for puttin' the moves on my Marcia (but it took a long time).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Slipkid42 wrote:

Not quite true. My favorite Monkees song 'Sunny Girlfriend' was written by Mike Nesmith.

R.I.P. Davy. I forgive you for puttin' the moves on my Marcia (but it took a long time).

I have an aunt that gave me the album Headquarters for xmas when I was 9 0r 10 yrs. old. sunny Girlfriend was on that album. I listened to it alot. then a few years ago i got on the Zune DL program and looked that record up. It's still not a bad record.Good call slip.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This week's issue of Sports Illustrated includes a Davy Jones obituary. Go figure.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard