Music, Etc.

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

litdimly

Re: Music, Etc.

Post by litdimly »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:25 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 am
litdimly wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:34 pm
Came across this while looking for an appropriate existing thread for a question. DBT and Slobberbone teaming up on Cortez the Killer. Happy for/jealous of all of you Shoalsfest attendees this weekend!

Now what the hell was my question?
Thanks for the blast from the past. Speaking of which, good to see ya. And here's hoping the rain holds off this wkend in the Shoals.

Perhaps you were wondering when Warren Zevon will get into the RnR Hall of Fame? Or who had the greater impact, Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson? Or which version of DBT is the best one? Or why did Shonna leave the band? Or is Bob Dylan a great singer? John or Paul? Levon or Robbie?...
Or why anyone would listen to that awful band, The Weight?
Those are great questions and now I'm embarrassed to ask... what's up with cassettes? I noticed a few at my local record store and assumed it's what the cool kids are collecting but now I'm seeing new releases. Yes, I still buy physical media and I try to do preorders from my favorite artists because I heard that they actually make money that way but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on Lilly Hiatt's cassette release because I don't have a good playback option. To be honest, I didn't have a good playback option when I understood Patterson to say that SRO was always intended to be heard on vinyl but here I am, happily at the low-end of hifi (sans tape deck). Is the industry testing the waters or has this been a thing for a while now and I'm late to the party as usual? Maybe I'll look around for my Walkman this weekend.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

litdimly wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:21 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Thanks for the blast from the past. Speaking of which, good to see ya. And here's hoping the rain holds off this wkend in the Shoals.

Perhaps you were wondering when Warren Zevon will get into the RnR Hall of Fame? Or who had the greater impact, Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson? Or which version of DBT is the best one? Or why did Shonna leave the band? Or is Bob Dylan a great singer? John or Paul? Levon or Robbie?...
Those are great questions and now I'm embarrassed to ask... what's up with cassettes? I noticed a few at my local record store and assumed it's what the cool kids are collecting but now I'm seeing new releases. Yes, I still buy physical media and I try to do preorders from my favorite artists because I heard that they actually make money that way but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on Lilly Hiatt's cassette release because I don't have a good playback option. To be honest, I didn't have a good playback option when I understood Patterson to say that SRO was always intended to be heard on vinyl but here I am, happily at the low-end of hifi (sans tape deck). Is the industry testing the waters or has this been a thing for a while now and I'm late to the party as usual? Maybe I'll look around for my Walkman this weekend.
I think it’s a small thing in the indie world. Can’t see it breaking bigger like the vinyl revival several years ago, but you never know…
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:30 am
litdimly wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

I think it’s a small thing in the indie world. Can’t see it breaking bigger like the vinyl revival several years ago, but you never know…
Like cortez, I'm not aware of any big trend towards cassettes, but I'd probably be the last to know, anyway. I just wanted to observe that I occasionally buy vinyl albums even though I don't currently have a working turntable. I figure I'll have one eventually and the same may apply to a cassette player in your future.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

- DPM

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Thank you! Interesting insight about artist benefits including lower manufacturing cost and quicker time to market.

Paige

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oddly enough, the use of an "old fashioned cassette" and the difficulty of finding a way to play it was a plot element in the mystery I just finished. The book was published 2 or 3 years ago so I assume not a part of this current resurgence but the timing was impeccable.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

DBT made the list twice, and Pavement, about whom I learned originally from this site. Interesting list….

https://stacker.com/stories/4469/100-be ... ng-critics

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

litdimly wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:56 pm
Thank you! Interesting insight about artist benefits including lower manufacturing cost and quicker time to market.

Paige
yeah the lead time for LPs is really gonna hurt small bands... you can't really time recording, pressing and touring right now as the factory delays are insane, so tapes can help fill that role.

i was never a cassette guy though and really only have a handful of what were mostly tape-only releases (stuff on Teen Beat, Xpressway, etc).

tinnitus photography

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:53 pm
DBT made the list twice, and Pavement, about whom I learned originally from this site. Interesting list….

https://stacker.com/stories/4469/100-be ... ng-critics
i kinda love this list tbh... way more interesting than most, though the top 20 gets really predictable really fast (and way too much Zep... no Velvets?!).

gotta love seeing Dungen and The Drones on here, though. not much metal either... Baroness is about the only one (i'd rate QOSTA as hard rock not metal).

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

litdimly wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

The cassette revival really hit me a few years ago when I went to purchase a copy of the then new Angel Olsen album My Woman, which they didn't have in stock on vinyl but did have on cassette. I love cassettes, I still have tons of them (mostly mixtapes) but I passed. This particular record store does not sell new CD's, only used ones. It goes without saying there is more than a bit of a hipster vibe to the store but that said, I have never been on the receiving end of any condescending remarks for my music purchases there. That said, a few years ago, one of the owners made a public apology on their FB page after chastising a customer for purchasing Tim McGraw's Indian Outlaw album. On the cassette tip, I also don't see them coming back to the point of vinyl but when I was still attending live shows it wasn't unusual to see artists selling cassettes, sometimes in addition to vinyl and CD's and sometimes, in place of them.

cortez the killer

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:36 am
litdimly wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

The cassette revival really hit me a few years ago when I went to purchase a copy of the then new Angel Olsen album My Woman, which they didn't have in stock on vinyl but did have on cassette. I love cassettes, I still have tons of them (mostly mixtapes) but I passed. This particular record store does not sell new CD's, only used ones. It goes without saying there is more than a bit of a hipster vibe to the store but that said, I have never been on the receiving end of any condescending remarks for my music purchases there. That said, a few years ago, one of the owners made a public apology on their FB page after chastising a customer for purchasing Tim McGraw's Indian Outlaw album. On the cassette tip, I also don't see them coming back to the point of vinyl but when I was still attending live shows it wasn't unusual to see artists selling cassettes, sometimes in addition to vinyl and CD's and sometimes, in place of them.
Fuckin' hipster.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:37 pm
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:36 am
litdimly wrote:

Fuckin' hipster.
My car receiver has a cassette deck but in more recent years it was used more for my iPod adapter. I also still have a boombox with a cassette deck but when last used it was more for CD's or to plug in my iPod. The vast majority of my mixtapes have to be around 40 years old or so by now. I rarely, if ever play them but also refuse to throw them out. I put in countless hours sitting in front of my stereo compiling them. I just can't bring myself to part with them.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

https://apple.news/ATd4EJnCARQSa1DLxL2oABw

I was reading this article on Covid and its effects on live shows and kept waiting to see Patterson interviewed.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

R&R Hall of Fame noms are out, and to no one's great surprise, Warren Zevon has, once again, been mistakenly left out.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/02/entertai ... index.html
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/roc ... 235509036/

Wow, great nominee list. And, holy shit, I didn't think I'd live long enough to see Warren Zevon nominated! Someone must have drugged Jan.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:26 pm
https://variety.com/2023/music/news/roc ... 235509036/

Wow, great nominee list. And, holy shit, I didn't think I'd live long enough to see Warren Zevon nominated! Someone must have drugged Jan.
totally agree. just was listening to "stand in the fire". 1 of the best live albums ever.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

About time!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm as shocked and pleased as the rest a youze that Warren Zevon is finally nominated. But I gotta say that the idea that "20 years after his death the stars are aligning for Warren Zevon" is a bizarre way to talk about this stuff. The dude is DEAD, man. He might well have not given a fuck if he was alive, but I guarantee ya that dead Zevon doesn't care about halls of fame, tribute concerts or any of these honors.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:35 pm
I'm as shocked and pleased as the rest a youze that Warren Zevon is finally nominated. But I gotta say that the idea that "20 years after his death the stars are aligning for Warren Zevon" is a bizarre way to talk about this stuff. The dude is DEAD, man. He might well have not given a fuck if he was alive, but I guarantee ya that dead Zevon doesn't care about halls of fame, tribute concerts or any of these honors.
I read an article in Billboard that talked about how it's a big deal for his family, kids & grandkids. He definitely was way more rock than many who have gotten in.

tinnitus photography

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:35 pm
Ian Curtis agrees.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

No sure where else to put this

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?