Feature of the Week (2/20/12) Johnny Marr

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Feature of the Week (2/20/12) Johnny Marr

Post by RolanK »

Johnny Marr – the melodic power of 80’s alternative “super group” The Smiths and later on ’hired gun’ for an impressive list of other artists; The Pretenders, Talking Heads, Billy Bragg, The The, Roxy Music, Modest Mouse and The Cribs.

Introduction

The initial idea was to write about The Smiths only, but as the concept of the FotW, as opposed to AotW perhaps, opens up for somewhat broader approach, I thought that focusing on the guitar-man and tunesmith would perhaps open up a few new perspectives on this chapter in music history. The fact that Marr has continued to produce (in my opinion) vital music for 25 years after The Smiths break-up, also makes this a more interesting subject. Furthermore, at least in Europe, where the British music press dominate, The Smiths appear on the cover of one these magazines at least one or two times every year, with new “revelations” (mostly gossip) on the bands carrier and break-up. The focus, if not always, but mostly on the lead singer, Morrissey, and his natural talent for controversy. Hopefully I am able to shift the spotlight to where it belongs for a moment.

3DD being a board celebrating a band very much rooted in American music tradition I am not surprised to find that The Smiths as perhaps an arche-typical British indie-phenomenon does not get much attention here. Also being painfully aware that The Smiths, and especially Morrissey, is a classic example of “either you love-it or you hate-it” I will not at all be surprised if people use this as an opportunity to air their grievances with their music.

I first became aware of Johnny Marr and The Smiths in high-school. I think the year was 1989. I was seventeen. I do not remember exactly what was the entry-point, but there are two incidents that I remember; I heard someone play some music at a party that caught my attention, I asked what it was and I thought the guy said “The Smiths” (I found out later that it was actually The Smithereens I had heard :lol: ).

At around the same time I had started playing guitar myself and I came over an issue of Guitar Player Magazine that featured Johnny Marr on the cover followed by an article spanning 11 pages. The article had a box stating the “10 ways to avoid becoming a guitar hero”, amongst those; ‘Avoid solos whenever possible’, ‘Put songs before showmanship’, ‘Be subtle in your innovations: don’t pose with a four neck guitar; instead concentrate on offbeat harmonic ideas, unusual tunings, weirdo chord voicings, and finely detailed accompaniment’, ‘Paint with a feather, not a firehose’ and ‘Denounce guitar heroism loudly and frequently’. This was before Grunge took off, punk was pretty much forgotten and guitar heroism was truly a decease with the idioms of people like Malmesteen, Van Halen and Satriani infecting young aspiring guitarists. But for someone who was already heavily into U2 and The Edge’s simplistic and melodic approach to guitar playing, the “10 commandments” of Johnny Marr became my religion. I headed for the record store and bought the only Smiths album they had, which the live album “Rank” and I was sold!

The Smiths

The story of the Smiths formation has been told many times, and has become almost rock-mythology. The year is 1982, Johnny Marr, still only 19 had been aware of Stephen Morrissey for a while, the strange lanky character, who was frequenting the local underground scene, the president of the UK branch of the New York Dolls fan club (!). One day Marr shows up at Morrissey’s doors step (he was living with is mother at the time), hands him a demo of ideas he had recorded with a proposal for a musical collaboration. They would find common ground in 60s single-pop (Motown etc), as well as sharing the vision for their future band. Marr’s former school-mate, Andy Rourke joins on bass and Mick Joyce is brought in on drums. After only a few rehearsals they had their first gigs around the local Manchester scene, and the buzz was on. Their debut single ‘Hand In Glove’ was released may 1983 and the self titled debut album (reaching #2 in UK album charts) was released in February 1984.

The Smiths released only four studio albums, but considering the band effectively broke up in June 1987, this was a remarkable achievement. In addition to the albums (three #2 and one #1 on UK albums chart) they also released a number of singles that weren’t even included on these four albums, as well as b-sides for album singles that were not included on the studio albums, of these several with high positions in the UK singles chart. The singles and b-sides were later to be issued on compilations albums Hatful of Hollow, The World Wont Listen and Louder than bombs. Quite remarkable for a guitar-based alternative band in the hey-days of synth-pop, and for a band that didn’t shy away from controversy such as denouncing the queen, stating that ‘Meat is murder’ as well as the “homo-erotic” album covers and sexually ambiguous lyrics.

By the time they were finishing the studio sessions for their final album Strangeways, Here We Come, the band was in reality history. The band had become dysfunctional by then. Johnny Marr had been serving as the bands “manager” since their first and only real manager was sacked (by Morrissey) after the first album. He had become an alcoholic. His London apartment, where he was living with his wife, was the daily hang-out joint for the other band members and crew when not on tour. Rourke, the bass player had a heroin habit (Police busting his apartment “Stones style” on a couple of occasions), and Morrissey was acting prima donna refusing to involve anyone that might be able to assist the band both artistically or in more mundane matters. Marr was exhausted and went on a two weeks vacation without approval. Marr was sacked and Morrissey tried to carry on without him. But the Smiths without Marr was not The Smiths; soon after the news broke that The Smiths was no more.

The songs were always the result of collaboration solely between Marr and Morrissey. Marr would record simple demo tapes that were handed over to Morrissey for him to come up with lyrics and vocal melodies. Studio recordings would very much follow the same pattern. Marr and the two others would work on the music with the producer until it was time for Morrissey to show up and do the vocal tracks. Often the band would not have a clue what Morrissey was up to until they heard him do the first take in studio.

Morrissey’s lyrics, full of literal references and witty sarcasms could probably aspire for a dedicated FotW, and will not be covered here…

Marr’s guitar style in the early days were often labeled ‘Jingle Jangle’, with references to The Byrds and The Beatles as well as contemporaries R.E.M, his fascination for Rickenbacker guitars, which he used extensively for foto-shoots and TV appearances the first years also contributes to this “image”. His influences however, spans much wider and in interviews he refers to acoustic folk virtuoso Bert Jansch as well as Nels Lofgren, Keith Richards, Pete Townsend, James Honeyman-Scott and Paul Weller. Perhaps not obvious in the music at first glance but Marr has also a funky/afro-beat and the Ohio Players was quoted as a reference in a more recent interview, and the classic track How Soon Is Now is basically a Bo Didley wamp, run through an intricate set-up of guitar-amplifiers and tape loops. His talent for melancholic, simple and hypnotic melodies are apparent in tracks like Rubber Ring (from Louder Than Bombs) and Girlfriend In A Coma (from Strangeways Here We Come) as well as the layering of multiple guitar tracks than can be heard in The Headmaster Ritual (from Meat is Murder)

The Smiths influenced (and perhaps even initiated) the of the brit pop wave that emerged in the ‘90s; Suede, Blur, Oasis and Stone Roses admit being influenced by The Smiths and Johnny Marr in particular. Here is Radiohead paying homage to The Smiths with their cover of ‘The Headmaster Ritual’.

So…the music, and how to indulge;

Studio Albums:
The Smiths(1984)
Meat is Murder (1985)
The Queen is Dead (1986)
Strangeways, Here We Come(1987)

Live Album:
Rank (1988)

Singles-compilations:
Hatful of Hollow (1984)
The World Wont listen (1987)
Louder than bombs (1987)

Depending on your taste and how “alterntative” you like it the first two albums may not be the place to start. In my opinion the production on these unfortunately has not stood the test of time that well. Critics favorite The Queen is Dead may be the best entry point. Both Marr and Morrissey have stated Strangeways Here We Come as their favorite. By far the most heavily produced album with strings and keys and with guitars turned down a bit. Louder Than Bombs is also an excellent starting point with guitar-pop classics like Panic, William It Was Really Nothing and Ask.

Some of my favorite The Smiths tunes:

This Charming Man
What Difference Does It Make?
Well I Wonder
The Boy With A Thorn In His Side
There’s a light that never goes out
Draize Train (live)
Cemetery Gates
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Paint A Vulgar Picture
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want

Marr post-Smiths

During the last year or so of The Smiths Marr wanted to collaborate with other artist, and with Morrissey not approving this may have been a contributing factor to the break-up. So after the break-up Marr started as session guitarist and through the ‘90s and ‘00s collaborated with a number of artists, amongst others; Billy Bragg, Talking Heads, Roxy Music, Kirsty MacColl, Neill Finn, Beck, Pearl Jam and Oasis. He was an official member of The Pretenders, The The and Electronic (With Bernard Sumner of Joy Division and New Order) as well as his own band Johnny Marr and the Healers.

Of these I think the work he did with The The on the albums Mind Bomb and Dusk is the most noteworthy. Check out Marr’s soulful Harmonica playing on Slow Emotion Replay from Dusk, or the disturbing soundscape on Good Morning Beautiful from Mind Bomb.

Talking Heads Nothing But Flowers is classic “African high-life” Marr.

Happy Mondays once attempted hi-jacking Marr for recording their last album in Barbados. Here is Marr’s hilarious recap of the event.

In 2006 Marr moved to Portland, OR to join Modest Mouse. Materials for two albums were recorded in 2007 and released as We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank (2007) and No One’s First And You’re Next (2009). They achieved a Billboard #1 for the song Dashboard which he co-wrote with Isaac Brook. Particular tracks from these albums: On Spitting Venom Marr is doing his magic and adding his simple but delicate guitar textures at 1:06, at 3:44 and at 4:27 and onwards.

Marr left Modest Mouse to join British trio (of brothers) The Cribs, to record the album Ignore The Ignorant. Quite an unlikely partnership but here Marr really lets loose the guitar wizardry we know from the Smiths on tracks like We Were Aborted, We Share The Same Skies, Last Year’s Snow and Victims Of Mass Production.

Marr is currently not in a band, but rumors has it he his working with new material for Johnny Marr and the Healers.

In 2010 Marr collaborated with Hans Zimmer for the Soundtrack to Inception (The movie with Leonardo DiCaprio sleeping)

For the gear heads. Marr is showing some of his awesome collection of vintage guitars here. Marr who was known for wielding Rickenbacker’s in the early days of the Smiths is now playing Fender Jaguars, and in January this year Fender released their Johnny Marr signature Jaguar.

Some live clips to round it off:
Marr with Pearl Jam (Dylan Cover)
Smiths Live – Still Ill

Enjoy...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Gator McKlusky

Re: Feature of the Week (2/20/12) Johnny Marr

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Nice job Dogstar. I like Johnny Marr; I think he is a fantastic guitarist. I first heard The Smiths in January 1984 on KUNV (University of Nevada Las Vegas radio station) when they started playing What Difference Does It Make? and I thought it was great and bought the first album. Even though Morrissey is kind of a whiny puss :lol: their songs were great and Marr's guitar playing really stands out.

Later that year they released Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (which is my fave Smiths song) and then my second fave song the incredible How Soon Is Now. Both are on the excellent Hatful of Hollow. They lost me with Meat Is Murder though (even though I am a long time vegetarian I think the title track is laughably bad--the cows mooing just cracks me up. :lol: ) I gave up on The Smiths after that--besides I was moving more in a Replacements, Green On Red, Jason & the Scorchers direction.

I was a big The The fan and thought the lineup with Marr in it was the best version of them, expecially on Dusk.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Nice job Dogstar

Would love to take credit for this but it's ROLANK's work.

Anyway never really got into the Smiths; REM happened to me at the same time and the sight of Morrissey prancing around on Top of the Pops with a bunch of Gladiolis put me off for good. That saying Marr is a very fine guitarist, very similar to Pete Buck but better. Not really got anything else to add.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Whoops sorry Rolan and Dogstar, I was in a hurry (trying to not get caught playing on the internet at work.) :lol:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Whoops sorry Rolan and Dogstar, I was in a hurry (trying to not get caught playing on the internet at work.) :lol:

No problemo, Gator... Dogstar and myself go a long way back (at least four weeks) and as tight drinking buddies I don't mind being confused for him for a short moment... :D

Heaven knows could have been up there amongst my other favorites. I have a hard time picking just a few. When it comes to Auntie Manchester (The Mozzer) I can understand why people don't like his appearance or singing for that matter. I guess he has some of the same complaining "quality" to his voice as Robert Smith of The Cure. The Smiths were over when I got into them, and youtube was not a reality in almost 20 more years or so... So I was "spared" seeing that Gladiol and women's blouses stuff. I had no idea what they looked like and could focus on the music. That being said I think Morrissey is an excellent singer, and the vocal melodies (according to Marr) for all those songs were Morrisseys inventions. I also believe that people do tend to take him too seriously. I have always smiled and laughed at those lyrics that some people take utterly seriously. I think may be secretly he does as well.

I guess the comparison with R.E.M is a natural one in many ways. According to rumors Stipe and Morrissey became very close friends at one stage. Marr's and Buck's styles are quite similar on the surface, especially in the layering of multiple guitar tracks and how they use the guitars as prime movers for the songs and in the chord voicings as well. What I think makes Marr stand out however is perhaps the "less than obvious" stuff. That funky thing he has got going, and also the pumping rhythm, in many ways I think he's got more in common with Keith Richards.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

one of his projects involved coming to New Zealand and working with Neil Finn (Mr Crowded House, Split Enz, solo) and a bunch of other people including Eddie Vedder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Worlds_Collide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Worlds_C ... 28album%29

I was desperately keen to go to the show, but was unable to travel due to some bullshit reason :(
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Even though Morrissey is kind of a whiny puss :lol:
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (which is my fave Smiths song)

:lol:

tinnitus photography

to me, Marr is one of the most innovative guitarists ever to play, and completely blows Buck out of whatever waterway he's in. take a listen to "Girl Afraid" (a goddamn early B side!!!!) and soak it in...the intricate lines, the phasing, and the complete shift when the lyrics start. brilliant. Marr had many such moments.

Marr was incredibly productive with The Smiths, but to be honest i never really listened to his work after that...rending the Morrissey/Marr team into something else never came close to the magic they produced together.

i know this isn't a post about Morrissey but i heard this song last week again and this lyric came out in its total brilliance

I dreamt about you last night
And I fell out of bed twice
You can pin and mount me like a butterfly
But "take me to the haven of your bed"
Was something that you never said
Two lumps, please
You're the bee's knees
But so am I

i was lucky to see The Smiths play once, but no one will ever see them again, sadly.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Great post RolanK, I was in London on a study abroad program in 1984 (I use the term study loosely) right around the time the first Smiths album was released, and the New Music Express (NME) was consumed by them. Since I read NME regularly while in London, I new more about the Smiths than I could have imagined without actually having heard their music. Several months later I got the first album and I was first in line when the record store opened when "Meat in Murder" was released. I bought the third album, but by that time I was consumed by Husker Du, Replacements, Pogues and Camper Van Beethoven among several others. Didn't listen much to Johnny Marr or Morrisey until that last Modest Mouse album Johnny Marr contibuted on.

When I was back in England in 1995 both Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke sued Johnny Marr and Morrisey for more royalties from the Smiths. One of them settled and the other went to court and possibly won. I always thought there was friction between Marr and Morrisey, but, apparantly, Marr really didn't get along with Joyce and Rourke. Anyway, in England, and I'm sure in the rest of Europe, the Smiths are still legendary.

Talk about the Smith's influence, Noel Gallagher of Oasis completely idolized the Smiths and always discussed their influence on him and Oasis. Just like the Smiths, Oasis released a lot of singles and albums with singles and b-sides. Both Noel Gallagher and Johnny Marr are two of the more notable Manchester City surpporters.

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

Johnny Marr's guitar playing is a treasure heard by too few. He's the reason I like The Smiths. I don't really care for Morrissey, but Marr is a genius. Have you heard the solo album? It's pretty good too. I wish he got out and recorded more often.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Nice writeup, Trym!
RolanK wrote:In 2006 Marr moved to Portland, OR to join Modest Mouse. Materials for two albums were recorded in 2007 and released as We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank (2007) and No One’s First And You’re Next (2009). They achieved a Billboard #1 for the song Dashboard which he co-wrote with Isaac Brook. Particular tracks from these albums: On Spitting Venom Marr is doing his magic and adding his simple but delicate guitar textures at 1:06, at 3:44 and at 4:27 and onwards.

Those two albums he did with Modest Mouse are ridiculously good.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Gang Green wrote:
Talk about the Smith's influence, Noel Gallagher of Oasis completely idolized the Smiths and always discussed their influence on him and Oasis. Just like the Smiths, Oasis released a lot of singles and albums with singles and b-sides. Both Noel Gallagher and Johnny Marr are two of the more notable Manchester City surpporters.

Agreed. There are so many Oasis b-sides that blow away their album songs..same for The Smiths--he's definitely Noel's hero.

Great write-up, Trym! Glad you mentioned his work with Kirsty MacColl: I always loved this song and had no idea he co-wrote it..(stupid video but love the song--also loved her cover of the Kinks' song Thank you for the Days).

In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I confess that I missed the Smiths in "real time" in part because of my general rule that if the English press is gaga over something there's good reason to avoid it like the plague. Hey, it usually works.

But I eventually found the Smiths and Johnny Marr was a big part of that. FWIW, Louder Than Bombs worked great as an introduction for me.

Not familiar w/ most of Marr's post Smiths work but will definitely keep an ear out now.

Nice job, trym. Your English is alsum.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I pretty much missed the boat on The Smiths back in the 80s but I did see Johnny Marr sitting in with R.E.M. on "Fall On Me" during a couple of dates on their final tour in 2008.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Penny Lane wrote:Agreed. There are so many Oasis b-sides that blow away their album songs..same for The Smiths--he's definitely Noel's hero.

Great write-up, Trym! Glad you mentioned his work with Kirsty MacColl: I always loved this song and had no idea he co-wrote it..(stupid video but love the song--also loved her cover of the Kinks' song Thank you for the Days).

I remember I heard the demo version for this song a while ago but without the vocals. I think it was a demo Marr sent to Kirsty before she decied to record the song. There are several songs out there that started out as demos or instrumental B-sides from the Smiths aera. Bryan Ferry released a song called 'The Right Stuff' in 1987. That one first appeared as instrumental B-side to one of the earlier Smiths singles. Kirsty Maccoll and the Smiths had a relationship already quite early in their carreer. Kirsty was married to producer Steve Lillywhite who later on produced a few Morrissey Albums.

There is also this one with Sandie Shaw.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Gang Green wrote:When I was back in England in 1995 both Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke sued Johnny Marr and Morrisey for more royalties from the Smiths. One of them settled and the other went to court and possibly won. I always thought there was friction between Marr and Morrisey, but, apparantly, Marr really didn't get along with Joyce and Rourke. Anyway, in England, and I'm sure in the rest of Europe, the Smiths are still legendary.

I think it was Joyce who went on with the lawsuit. Rourke and Joyce I get the understanding was rather tight with Marr during the Smiths years,and Rourke and Marr had been school mates. It was Morrissey who was a bit on the outside and never really connected with the other two. There has been written a lot (mostly gossip I suppose) about the relationship between Marr and Morrissey, and apparently it was Morrisseys obsessiveness with Marr that caused the collapse in the end. The song "I wont share you" (the last one on Strangeways) is supposed to be Morrisseys "message" to Marr after he had started showing interest for collaboration with other artists.

Regarding the law-suit there appears to have been a lot of shady business going on in the early days. Apparently Marr and Morrissey signed a secret contract with Rough Trade that would cut the other two short of most of the earnings the band would ever make. Anyhow, I guess this rises an interesting philosophical question regarding song writing and royalties. Both Joyce and Rourke are excellent musicians, and especially Rourke contributes significantly to the arrangement on several Smiths tunes. Can you really claim all the royalties for the chord progression and lyrics only? Same debate as with 'The Band' and I guess many others.

You also have the infamous episode where Morrissey alegedly fired Rourke from the band after the drug bust by leaving a note on the windshield of his car, saying; "Andy, you have left The Smiths. Good luck and goodbye, Morrissey"

Gang Green wrote:Talk about the Smith's influence, Noel Gallagher of Oasis completely idolized the Smiths and always discussed their influence on him and Oasis. Just like the Smiths, Oasis released a lot of singles and albums with singles and b-sides. Both Noel Gallagher and Johnny Marr are two of the more notable Manchester City surpporters.

Marr, I have read was a very talented football player in his late teens. Luckily the music won him over.

For those who whish to read more about the Smiths, I can recommend the book "The Smiths: Songs That Saved Your Life".. Very cool format, built up around the songs and how they were written and recorded in chronological order. I once made a playlist of Smiths songs on my iPod based on the order laid out in that book. :ugeek: :D
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I hated the Smiths in the '80's and Morrisey. the description "whiny puss" is spot on. Fucking shoegazer, teen angst when you're 27 (or 47!) bullshit. We're here for the rock and roll, man!

Marr is awesome though.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

tinnitus photography

Steve French wrote:I hated the Smiths in the '80's and Morrisey. the description "whiny puss" is spot on. Fucking shoegazer, teen angst when you're 27 (or 47!) bullshit. We're here for the rock and roll, man!

Marr is awesome though.

sorry but the shoegazer tag is woefully off target here. angst, ok.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Steve French wrote:I hated the Smiths in the '80's and Morrisey. the description "whiny puss" is spot on. Fucking shoegazer, teen angst when you're 27 (or 47!) bullshit. We're here for the rock and roll, man!

Marr is awesome though.

You got me thinking of a Rock n Roll cage match. Morrisey v. David Lee Roth.

But, this is about Johnny Marr. I have to say Morrisey's "whiny puss" thing against Marr's jangling guitar worked for me. But, Morrisey without Marr, was too much Morrisey, if that makes sense.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Gang Green wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:

Marr is awesome though.

You got me thinking of a Rock n Roll cage match. Morrisey v. David Lee Roth.

But, this is about Johnny Marr. I have to say Morrisey's "whiny puss" thing against Marr's jangling guitar worked for me. But, Morrisey without Marr, was too much Morrisey, if that makes sense.

This is my position as well. I must admit I have a few Morrissey records, and I have seen him live once. He's was rocking quite a bit actually, and did not come across as a "whiny puss" on stage imo. But to me the magic of the Smiths is 80% about Marr, although I guess Marr would not have been what he is today had it not been for his companionship with Morrissey.

Here is Marr doing a Smiths song. I think this is from the Neill Finn initiative that Steve French mentions. Sound quality is not good, but I love the simple but beatiful guitar playing he's doing here. Simply a symphony for six strings.

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Completely great write-up.

But, man what an odd move when he linked up with MM. I remember reading that and just being astounded, when it happened.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I pretty much missed the boat on The Smiths back in the 80s but I did see Johnny Marr sitting in with R.E.M. on "Fall On Me" during a couple of dates on their final tour in 2008.

I'm envious... As mentioned in a previous post, I saw Morrissey, but I never saw Marr. I was hoping that either Modest Mouse or The Cribs would stop by my neck of the woods while he was still with those bands, but they never did. Seeing Marr live is one of the top on my list of things to do before I die... I guess I'll have to be patient (and not be crushed by a double decker buss or a ten ton truck).
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RolanK wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:Agreed. There are so many Oasis b-sides that blow away their album songs..same for The Smiths--he's definitely Noel's hero.

I remember I heard the demo version for this song a while ago but without the vocals. I think it was a demo Marr sent to Kirsty before she decied to record the song. There are several songs out there that started out as demos or instrumental B-sides from the Smiths aera. Bryan Ferry released a song called 'The Right Stuff' in 1987. That one first appeared as instrumental B-side to one of the earlier Smiths singles. Kirsty Maccoll and the Smiths had a relationship already quite early in their carreer. Kirsty was married to producer Steve Lillywhite who later on produced a few Morrissey Albums.

There is also this one with Sandie Shaw.

I had no idea she had been married to Steve Lillywhite but her death and events following were really fascinating to me..
i love her voice, other than Dusty S, i think she's my favorite British vocalist-- she should have been the English Neko Case..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Penny Lane wrote:I had no idea she had been married to Steve Lillywhite but her death and events following were really fascinating to me..
i love her voice, other than Dusty S, i think she's my favorite British vocalist-- she should have been the English Neko Case..

A tragic loss for music... :(
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I was lucky enough to get to see the Smiths in 85 and then again in 86.
Keep calm and have a cigar

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I was a huge fan of The Smiths back in the 80's. Hatful of Hollow was my first album and still my favorite. I was supposed to see them on the Strangeways tour but then they broke up and cancelled the shows. I did see Morrissey once and enjoyed it alright. The endless line of people getting on stage hugging him and throwing flowers was annoying.

Johnny Marr is a great guitarist and his licks give them their sound. I got some tabs of their songs way back and couldn't play any of them. :lol: Just too complicated for my brain. I also saw Johnny with Modest Mouse and was impressed. I was dragged to that show kicking and screaming but at least I saw a living legend.

tinnitus photography

lajakesdad wrote:I did see Morrissey once and enjoyed it alright. The endless line of people getting on stage hugging him and throwing flowers was annoying.

i am pretty sure that Morrissey fans are the most annoying of all time.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

lajakesdad wrote:Johnny Marr is a great guitarist and his licks give them their sound. I got some tabs of their songs way back and couldn't play any of them. :lol: Just too complicated for my brain. I also saw Johnny with Modest Mouse and was impressed. I was dragged to that show kicking and screaming but at least I saw a living legend.

He's showing a few of his own (and other peoples) classic riff in the clip below. I find it almost impossible to "get" what he's playing just by listening, and a lot of the tabs that are out there are simply wrong. In the Smiths he used a lot of capo, and once you know where to put it things get much simpler.

OK...Were heading straight into guitar-geek/gear-head territory now...

Edit: typo
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:once you know where to put it things get much simpler.

Wisdom for the ages. If I hadn't just changed my sig, this would be it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote:once you know where to put it things get much simpler.

Wisdom for the ages. If I hadn't just changed my sig, this would be it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa