Most disappointing albums of 2010

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: Most disappointing albums of 2010

Post by cortez the killer »

bold99 wrote:and the Band of Horses...that one kind of bores me.

Par for the course.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Par for the course.

eh, I really like it. It's definitely a sharp left turn from the first two records, which is bound to leave some fans behind

I was never really a fan so that is probably just me...plus it had the unfortunate luck of leaking the same day as the Black Keys album which is my favorite of the year so it didn't really stand a chance with me.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

MGMT's new album...
In my blood, there's gasoline..

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Par for the course.

eh, I really like it. It's definitely a sharp left turn from the first two records, which is bound to leave some fans behind

I ain't picky at all, but I like it a lot too. Its more dreamy, laid back, and spacy for me but I have plenty of those moods.

Is the new Deer Tick a proper album or is it an outtakes type thing? I don't like it nearly as much as the last one, but Born on Flag Day is really really good IMO. I guess I didn't hold it to much of a standard because I saw the Sessions thing on there and thought it was some sort of an outtake.

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

dee dee wrote:Is the new Deer Tick a proper album or is it an outtakes type thing? I don't like it nearly as much as the last one, but Born on Flag Day is really really good IMO. I guess I didn't hold it to much of a standard because I saw the Sessions thing on there and thought it was some sort of an outtake.

As far as I know it is a proper album. Flag Day was a grower for me, so perhaps this one will do the same, but right now I just can't see that happening.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I like TBTD fine. It's got some great songs on it for sure. BUT, I think it suffers from the "kitchen sink approach". There's just too much going on and as much as I don't want to diss Jay G, I think the keyboards have got to go. They make the band's sound too full and bloaty. To my mind, if you want to do a rock album you need to pare things down - drums, guitars, bass, vocals.

Band of Horses - really dug a few songs I heard on Pandora so when eMusic finally offered them I was psyched. I got the first and thought about the second. Realized the first was okay and one was enough. Listened to lots of samples and streams of the new one. Nothing really new or interesting there. Lots of reverb, chorus-like vocals, dreamy. Ho Hum. Like I said, one is enough. Two is redundant.
Not forever, just for now.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

cortez the killer wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:Disappointing? Hmm, kinda like calling your kid ugly!
I think once folks see the new songs performed live, sandwiched between the classic DBT tunes, the light will come on the brilliance will shine bright. I do have to say that Shonna's tune just doesn't seem to fit and that a few of Patterson's tunes sound like they could have been on Murdering Oscar.

Saw/heard 'em live. Didn't change what the album is to me either. It's a somewhat disappointing Truckers release.

Seen them 5 times this year, and still doesnt do much for me. Not a bad album, nothing to get excited about either.

Gaslight Anthem-American Slang-Cant get into this at all, and loved Sink or Swim and 59 sound and was stoked for it. Maybe listening to it on vinyl will change my feelings on it.

THS-heaven is Whenever-Do like the album, but like TBTD, just not up to there level.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Penny Lane wrote:MGMT's new album...

Yes this is my MOST disappointing album of the year. The 1st one was so freaking catchy. About a year ago it opened me up to a whole new genre of music I'd never given a chance to. This one feels dark and these guys don't do much for me in that mode.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

The Big to Do is absoulutely a disappointment.
I like the MGMT better than most people, but it is a disappointment after their last one.
The biggest disappointment for me though has been the David Byrne and Fatboy Slim collaboration. Not that I'm a huge Fatboy slim guy, but I am a huge fan of everything David Byrne has done. I think that this album could easily have been cut in half.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

'Scratch wrote:I like TBTD fine. It's got some great songs on it for sure. BUT, I think it suffers from the "kitchen sink approach". There's just too much going on and as much as I don't want to diss Jay G, I think the keyboards have got to go. They make the band's sound too full and bloaty. To my mind, if you want to do a rock album you need to pare things down - drums, guitars, bass, vocals.

For real?
I love the keyboards - I think they're a natural fit for the band - I love bare-bones rock but theres only so much you can do with that, look at the essential "rock n roll" albums and 90% of the time theres keys, horns, etc

(Not saying I want a DBT horn section, but the couple songs they did with THS horns did sound cool, especially Marry me)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Zip City wrote:wow.....over on 9B, people were gushing over TBTD. Now everyone is trashing it?

i haven't seen anybody trash it.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I quite like TBTD. One of the problems people have with it stems from the choice of "This F'ing Job" as the single. It was the first song most of us heard and I do not consider it one of the stronger songs on the album. I know that lyrically it is socially "relevant" but I look at it this way. Joe Strummer chose "Know Your Rights" to be the first single off Combat Rock because they liked the message of the lyrics. As it turned out, "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and "Rock The Casbah" were the hit songs and "Straight to Hell" was the best song on the album, both lyrically and musically. "Know Your Rights" wasn't even one of the stronger songs on the album. Anyhow, because for many of us our first impression of the album was "This F'ing Job" instead of "Santa Fe", "After the Scene Dies" or "The Fourth Night of My Drinking", I think it skewed people's perception of the album. The critics -- who are different from the foam at the mouth fans -- listened to the album all at once and the record has gotten good reviews.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

joelle

Post by joelle »

Zip City wrote:wow.....over on 9B, people were gushing over TBTD. Now everyone is trashing it?

i don't think being disappointed is trashing
i think people/fans/we can still like it and enjoy it and feel it has not lived up to their/our expectations.
being disappointed, it not the same as disgusted or disheartened or dissatisfied. (real real big fan of alliteration. can you tell?) :ugeek:
also,
it is very early
some albums are growers. take time ...

Clams

Post by Clams »

That's a different message board. Not applicable here.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The Big To Do actually exceeding my expectations; I didn't have very high hopes after hearing the live versions of the songs on archive, and I figured it was due time for DBT to "disappoint" me, but maybe I didn't have expectations as high as ya'll. I think it's a great album, a "top tier" DBT album if you ask me.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I really like the The Big To Do as well. But the topic was disappoiting albums and again I'll have to say it is The Hold Steady's "Heaven is Whenever." I've tried to listen to the hell out of this album, hoping that it would change for the better. And oh yeah it's pretty good...."for me to poop on." Where the hell is Franz?

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

I think I posted something over there expressing shock over the high praise it was getting. Then, I was reminded of where I was reading the praise.
Anyway...Birthday boy and wig he made her wear are the only songs off The big to do that I even think about wanting to listen to anymore.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Clams wrote:

Yeah there were a bunch of assholes over there like Wally Cleaver and Frank Rizzo. Good thing those douchebags have not shown up here.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

brstigerfan wrote:

I think I posted something over there expressing shock over the high praise it was getting. Then, I was reminded of where I was reading the praise.
Anyway...Birthday boy and wig he made her wear are the only songs off The big to do that I even think about wanting to listen to anymore.

Now I dont hate it like this dude, not the best album but not bad, and the only one I really care to hear live is After the Scene Dies.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Smitty wrote:
'Scratch wrote:I like TBTD fine. It's got some great songs on it for sure. BUT, I think it suffers from the "kitchen sink approach". There's just too much going on and as much as I don't want to diss Jay G, I think the keyboards have got to go. They make the band's sound too full and bloaty. To my mind, if you want to do a rock album you need to pare things down - drums, guitars, bass, vocals.

For real?
I love the keyboards - I think they're a natural fit for the band - I love bare-bones rock but theres only so much you can do with that, look at the essential "rock n roll" albums and 90% of the time theres keys, horns, etc

(Not saying I want a DBT horn section, but the couple songs they did with THS horns did sound cool, especially Marry me)

there are a couple of spots in Uncle Frank that absolutely beg for a horn section. In fact, sometimes I "hear" the horns that, of course, are not even there...... kind of like "the voices" :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Gator McKlusky wrote:
Clams wrote:

Yeah there were a bunch of assholes over there like Wally Cleaver and Frank Rizzo. Good thing those douchebags have not shown up here.

I bet their shit stunk.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Smitty wrote:

For real?

I'm just saying the application is a little too thick for my tastes. Check Out Time in Las Vegas wouldn't be what it is without keyboards. That said, I think it's a matter of too much of a good thing on TBTD. Less might be more.
Not forever, just for now.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Smitty wrote:

For real?

there are a couple of spots in Uncle Frank that absolutely beg for a horn section. In fact, sometimes I "hear" the horns that, of course, are not even there...... kind of like "the voices" :lol:

More cowbell, too.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

I've never been a huge Gorillaz fan but decided to give this a listen after Pitchfork gave it an 85. Well it's just more of the same: a few catchy tracks and then a bunch of overwrought sludge.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm w/ zip: OK, it's an overstatement to say that TBTD is being trashed here, but the difference in tone and overall reaction to the album is very noticeably different and more negative than it was on 9B. I'm not saying that's good or bad but it is surprising.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard