My Morning Jacket thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Re: My Morning Jacket thread

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Framed this guy and put it above my turntable over the weekend. Had to slice off half an inch on each side to make it fit the frame (turning "August" into ugust :oops: ), but it still turned pretty well.

That's the most enjoyment I've gotten out of MMJ in oh, five years or so. :D
ain't no static on the gospel radio

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Jim likes looking at me, but only when he plays the Newport stage (2 for 2!)

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

tinnitus photography wrote:Jim likes looking at me, but only when he plays the Newport stage (2 for 2!)

Awesome. Always love your photography. That's an understatement. True talent and sometimes the stars aline for perfection.

I enjoyed their set in Detroit. Glad to see them and get some friends in on the action.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

tinnitus photography wrote:Jim likes looking at me, but only when he plays the Newport stage (2 for 2!)

He's let himself go. I've let myself go to kind of in a Shakey Ditch Trilogy kinda way. Wooly. Drunk 1/2 the time. Puffy. Smelly. Yimmy pulls it off far better than I could ever, but I'm right there. Right there...
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Per Facebook/Twitter:

One BIG announcement coming tomorrow!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Meh, false alarm. No album or tour news :(

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Zip City wrote:Meh, false alarm. No album or tour news :(

Yeah there is. Flaming Lips joining them in Mexico.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

oilpiers wrote:
Zip City wrote:Meh, false alarm. No album or tour news :(

Yeah there is. Flaming Lips joining them in Mexico.

I don't really consider that tour news. I want an actual national tour, not a "fan experience" weekend

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I committed today and purchased my OBH ticket. I was more stressed the past few months thinking about it, than I feel today, after purchasing it.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Dammit, Hyden. After being less than impressed by "Big Decisions" and "Among the Living" or whatever it's called, I was planning to finally say goodbye to MMJ. Now I guess I have to at least give it a listen.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Duke Silver wrote:
Dammit, Hyden. After being less than impressed by "Big Decisions" and "Among the Living" or whatever it's called, I was planning to finally say goodbye to MMJ. Now I guess I have to at least give it a listen.
I really loved that article. Some of it wasn't exact but it was written by a fan who gets a lot more than most of the writers (as far as where they fit/don't fit into things). Leaves me wondering how much physical pain Jim's been in all these years, I knew he had a bad back but didn't realize the extent.

My opinion of the album is still out after a few days' listens or so but the two songs above- BD and Spring (Among the Living)- are my least favorite on the album. They played the album live the last 2 nights at Headliners and everyone's been bringing back glowing reviews (except for Big Decisions). It's miles better than Circuital.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Penny Lane wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
I really loved that article. Some of it wasn't exact but it was written by a fan who gets a lot more than most of the writers (as far as where they fit/don't fit into things). Leaves me wondering how much physical pain Jim's been in all these years, I knew he had a bad back but didn't realize the extent.

My opinion of the album is still out after a few days' listens or so but the two songs above- BD and Spring (Among the Living)- are my least favorite on the album. They played the album live the last 2 nights at Headliners and everyone's been bringing back glowing reviews (except for Big Decisions). It's miles better than Circuital.
Dangit. I hope these reviews are worthy coming out of Headliners. Sounds like a bunch of Bears fans raving about Jay Cutler having some sort of bounce back 6th season under Marc Trestman...... MMJ are monsters on tour and still a favorite. Not trying to be Erdnegative....I just like Chicago Bears analogies.

That article was good. It reversed my thoughts and got me interested in the new album(s). Spring (Among the Living) is ok. Funky. Big Decisions is a bad start for me though.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Big Decisions is this album's I'm Amazed. A sorta okay song that will get moderate radio play

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I'm underwhelmed. Nothing good for me on this album. Damn. Shit. I'm going back to the headphones and trying to polish this turd somehow in my mind.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Erdlivz wrote:I'm underwhelmed. Nothing good for me on this album. Damn. Shit. I'm going back to the headphones and trying to polish this turd somehow in my mind.
Opposite here; I love everything about it, aside from "Big Decisions".
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Smitty wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:I'm underwhelmed. Nothing good for me on this album. Damn. Shit. I'm going back to the headphones and trying to polish this turd somehow in my mind.
Yeah, I do, too. And I haven't really liked much since 2008. It's a grower (I hate when people say that but it truly is..) Big Decisions is the weakest.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Sooooooooo, am I correct in assuming if I loved Evil Urges that I will dig this one? (I also don't like Big Decisions).

Penny Lane wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Yeah, I do, too. And I haven't really liked much since 2008. It's a grower (I hate when people say that but it truly is..) Big Decisions is the weakest.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

211poundsofpork wrote:Sooooooooo, am I correct in assuming if I loved Evil Urges that I will dig this one? (I also don't like Big Decisions).
I believe so.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Because I did pre-sale of two different shows, I'll have two free download codes for The Waterfall. I'll only need one, so hit me up if your want the other

211poundsofpork

Penny Lane wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:Sooooooooo, am I correct in assuming if I loved Evil Urges that I will dig this one? (I also don't like Big Decisions).
I believe so.
Just picked it up Sunday. Will take several listens - only have been through it once but I think I will definitely like it better than Circuital. And, I still don't like Big Decisions...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I like "Big Decisions", sorry all

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I liked the song they played on Fallon. First of the three that I've heard that I've liked.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:I liked the song they played on Fallon. First of the three that I've heard that I've liked.
There's an alternate version of "Compound Fracture" on the deluxe edition that blows that arrangement out of the water IMO.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Giving it a first listen right now, just got to "Big Decisions." That song works much better in the context of the album than it did on its own. So far I'm pleasantly surprised. It's definitely their smoothest, most cohesive sounding album since Z.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm on my second listen. My initial impressions are that I don't hate it like I did the last two records but there is nothing left of the band I fell for so hard back in 2003 or so. It reminds me of what happened to U2 after The Unforgettable Fire except that I'm older now and because of that I haven't taken their stylistic changes like a complete betrayal like I di with that transformation. Heck, I actually like a few songs here Compound Fracture, In its Infancy (The Waterfall) and Spring (Among the Living) are all really good songs and a couple more might get into that category for me, heck I don't even hate Big Decisions. The problem is that 5 or 6 solid songs isn't enough for me to spend a ton of time with a record. I'll give it a few more listens and I can actually see coming back to it occasionally but I still think these guys are making music for different musical tastes than mine.

edit: Only Memories Remain is absolutely fantastic. I don't think I really heard it in my first listen as usually by the end of a record during the work day the volume is very low.Be that as it may I think this is my favorite MMJ song since It Still Moves. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

edit 2: OK, shit. I like this record. I almost like it a lot. It's not the old MMJ but it isn't a jarring mess either. There are some really strong songs and the guitars shine (!!) like they haven't in years. First I wasn't going to listen to it at all, then I was going to but only out of a sense of completism and then I found myself deep into listen number two. I just started it over again for my third go around. I never made it to a second listen of Circuital much less a third. I guess preconceived notions can sometimes be wrong huh?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

211poundsofpork

Smitty wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:I liked the song they played on Fallon. First of the three that I've heard that I've liked.
There's an alternate version of "Compound Fracture" on the deluxe edition that blows that arrangement out of the water IMO.
Totally agree. I also get a Genesis/prog-rock-type vibe from this tune. Anyway, I like the album so far after several listens. "Spring" and "Compound Fracture" are my favorites as of right now.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Wait, TC's opinion of Circuital is based on fewer than two complete listens?