My Morning Jacket thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: My Morning Jacket thread

Post by tinnitus photography »

Duke Silver wrote:Tennessee Fire is good, kinda like At Dawn's scrawny, underdeveloped little brother. But the songs are good.

1. At Dawn
2. It Still Moves
3. Z
4. The Tennessee Fire

5. The Waterfall

6. Circuital

7. Never hearing music again

8. Evil Urges
this made me laugh, but i agree w/ Zip that there are some quality songs on there. i missed the two MMJ shows this past weekend in Boston (seen 'em twice already this year) but that 2nd show's set list looked damned good.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

iss>z>waterfall>circuital>tf>Eu>ad
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Smitty wrote:iss>z>waterfall>circuital>tf>Eu>ad
First time I have ever seen anyone put Circuital over the first two albums. I don't get it. Circuital has about 5 boring songs. Probably less than 5 boring songs on the other 6 albums combined. Opinions! Fuck Em, right?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

oilpiers wrote:
Smitty wrote:iss>z>waterfall>circuital>tf>Eu>ad
First time I have ever seen anyone put Circuital over the first two albums. I don't get it. Circuital has about 5 boring songs. Probably less than 5 boring songs on the other 6 albums combined. Opinions! Fuck Em, right?
some days circuital is my favorite Mmj record.
The first couple records have a lot more weak and boring tracks imo. there's also the fact that so many sound the same. that's not to say they're bad songs; some of them have grown to be amazing, but their initial arrangements leave a lot to be desired.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Duke Silver wrote:Tennessee Fire is good, kinda like At Dawn's scrawny, underdeveloped little brother. But the songs are good.

1. At Dawn
2. It Still Moves
3. Z
4. The Tennessee Fire

5. The Waterfall

6. Circuital

7. Never hearing music again

8. Evil Urges
I like Evil Urges to a degree...or is it just the live show splendor of Highly Suspicious and Touch Me? I get completely disinterested at Thank You Too! -> Look at You. I like I'm Amazed, Remnants, and generally take a leak when they play Smokin' from Shootin' at shows.

Evil Urges -> Circuital -> The Waterfall are so love - hate for me. Circuital for me was good. Tennessee Fire never got me. My ranking of albums would put The Waterfall last because Evil Urges and Circuital have some solid tracks that transcend MMJ's live show.

1. At Dawn
2. Z
3. It Still Moves
4. Circuital
5. Evil Urges
6. Tennessee Fire
7. The Waterfall

Clams

Post by Clams »

Headhunter is binging on MMJ this week
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Clams wrote:Headhunter is binging on MMJ this week
Looks like Bill is too.

Bill are you hiring? :)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Nice 10 minute fluff piece on the band's latest tour
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I bought some tickets for Ray LaMontagne Saturday & found out afterwards his band for the tour is MMJ minus Jim James. Ray's new cd was produced by Jim & is mighty good. This could be a helluva a good show!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It Still Moves is getting a deluxe edition re-issue

http://mymorningjacket.com/news/272093

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Lol, of course. If it ain't broke, break it.
For James, It Still Moves was the only My Morning Jacket album he could look back on and wish that some things were different about it. So, with the help of the band’s longtime friend Kevin Ratterman behind the mixing desk, James revisited and tweaked all the old material & remastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, this new version still has that shimmering grandeur that lent it such a singular identity, but there is an increased strength and clarity to it now.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:Lol, of course. If it ain't broke, break it.
For James, It Still Moves was the only My Morning Jacket album he could look back on and wish that some things were different about it. So, with the help of the band’s longtime friend Kevin Ratterman behind the mixing desk, James revisited and tweaked all the old material & remastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, this new version still has that shimmering grandeur that lent it such a singular identity, but there is an increased strength and clarity to it now.
Like most remasters, I'll barely tell the difference. It's the outtakes/demos I want

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:Lol, of course. If it ain't broke, break it.
we still have the original. I'm stoked.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

It Still Moves is by far and way MMJ's best record so naturally let's fuck with it. Knowing James I'm guessing this is more than just a remaster.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

maybe he added ZZ Top drums.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

it's also JJ's to do whatever he wants. I say we reserve judgment until we actually hear it, and then y'all can tell me y'all told me so :)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:it's also JJ's to do whatever he wants. I say we reserve judgment until we actually hear it, and then y'all can tell me y'all told me so :)
True, I just don't trust that guy's judgement on what is good music. That's a bias but it is what it is. You are right though judging before hearing is silly. Mea culpa.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I dig hearing alternate productions/remixes; if it works out, that's great and if it doesn't I'll stick to the original. Unless there was some kind of campaign to wipe out the original album and scrub all evidence off the earth, I don't see the problem.

I don't have the distrust of Jim James either; I think his judgment/taste in music and production are definitely unique and offbeat, I'll give ya that. IMO he's one of the few originals in popular music today and certainly one of the most interesting.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I'll admit I'm a hypocrite. I hate the idea of ISM being messed with, but when I dive into an artist's back catalog I always go for the remaster if that's an option.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:I'll admit I'm a hypocrite. I hate the idea of ISM being messed with, but when I dive into an artist's back catalog I always go for the remaster if that's an option.
My tendency to go for a remaster is usually based on my opinion of the original production.

For example, with Pearl Jam I always listen to the Brendan O'Brien mix of Ten. If whoever did the original production of Ten were to produce Vitalogy, I can all but guarantee I would never touch that remaster.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Ok, so my thoughts/review of the remaster:

Short version: It's great. 98% of the changes they made are for the better, and work to put a finer point on an already brilliant album. The overall improvement is a greater clarity and separation of instruments. I listened on headphones and you can clearly distinguish Carl and Jim's guitar parts, and the keys have more presence.

In some songs, the differences are subtle; Golden has no obvious changes, nor does Mahgeetah, though both seem more vibrant. Other tracks, like Run Thru (which has ~8 extra bars of intro) and Steam Engine (that has a very prominent guitar part in the outro) have more clear changes. One in the Same's piano track is much more clear and present in the mix. The one negative change (to my ear) is that the bass guitar in the One Big Holiday intro has less punch.

The song with the most wholesale changes is "Easy Morning Rebel". It sounds completely rebuilt from the ground up. It could almost be a new recording (outside of the vocals). It's tough to put my finger on, but the entire song feels different. Easily the most tinkered with track on the record.

The three unreleased tracks are all very good. "En La Ceremony" is a spanish guitar driven jam that would be fantastic live. "Grab a Body" is heavy on the horns, and was probably recorded in the same session as Easy Morning Rebel. It's entirely instrumental, and the last minute or so was re-purposed as the outro for . "That's Too Bad" sounds more like something off of Tennessee Fire, and the last minute or so was re-purposed for I Will Sing You Songs.

The demos are worth a listen, though don't stand up to repeated listening. There are four-track, acoustic demos for most of the songs (no OBH, though) with two guitar tracks and two vocal tracks (Jim harmonizing with himself). They're interesting in a song-writing context, as they show songs in various stages of completion. Some have slightly different lyrics, some don't have their instrumental sections sorted out yet. The guitar lick in Run Thru resolves in an entirely different key than the final product.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Listening to it now on Spotify. Pretty much agree with your write up, zip, except I'd add that Masterplan sounds rebuilt, too. Everything in it just sounds...bigger.

And I think it's Johnny Quade on guitar. Carl and Bo joined between this and Z.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:Listening to it now on Spotify. Pretty much agree with your write up, zip, except I'd add that Masterplan sounds rebuilt, too. Everything in it just sounds...bigger.

And I think it's Johnny Quade on guitar. Carl and Bo joined between this and Z.
My bad. I thought Carl joined after At Dawn

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The Easy Morning Rebel intro is definitely different and longer. They either used a different take or the original was trimmed.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I hate to say it but I kinda hate the remix of Run Thru. Not sure what it is, but it feels all wrong

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

New song released on SoundCloud today

https://soundcloud.com/my-morning-jacket/magicbullet

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:New song released on SoundCloud today

https://soundcloud.com/my-morning-jacket/magicbullet
it's not bad

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Okonokos being reissued with three bonus tracks. Strangulation is the coolest one

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Are the bonus tracks just songs from the Acoustic Chorale EP? I thought that was outtakes from Okonokos. Bermuda Highway, At Dawn, Sooner, Where to Begin, I Think I'm Going to Hell, Strangulation.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:Are the bonus tracks just songs from the Acoustic Chorale EP? I thought that was outtakes from Okonokos. Bermuda Highway, At Dawn, Sooner, Where to Begin, I Think I'm Going to Hell, Strangulation.
Bonus tracks are Where to Begin, Sooner and Strangulation, so maybe? It's not getting the remaster treatment that ISM got, just a reissue and new vinyl pressing