My Morning Jacket thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

My Morning Jacket thread

Post by Penny Lane »

Wanted to start a new thread that wasn't just the Circuital thread..

Someone spliced this video together, it's pretty much part of the holy grail..T5 The Tennessee Fire Night 1. What a magical night--Johnny Quaid the original guitarist and Jim's cousin showed up to jam on some songs..Check it out! (until they release a box set, this is the closest..)

In my blood, there's gasoline..

RMD

Re: My Morning Jacket thread

Post by RMD »

Nice. Thanks for posting. Are there really plans to release these shows?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

On Spotify, Death is the Easy Way is listed as Death Is My Sleazy Pay.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

8/17 Philly (Mann Center) show announced.
More dates to follow I'm sure (including Red Rocks)

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Penny Lane wrote:More dates to follow I'm sure (including Red Rocks)

as sure as you were about DBT opening with Don't Do It? ;)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

bovine knievel wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:More dates to follow I'm sure (including Red Rocks)

as sure as you were about DBT opening with Don't Do It? ;)

even more surer---! ;) :lol:

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

tour dates announced including one in my backyard in august. is the fan club worth the price? looks like that's the only way to buy tickets so far.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

8/12 in Columbus w/ Band of Horses. Two of my favorite live bands together in one night? Music gods be praised!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Hey, they're playing in Copenhagen while I'm there. Should I go?
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

$43.00!

240.00 Danish krone

- bubba

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

one belt loop wrote:Hey, they're playing in Copenhagen while I'm there. Should I go?

do it!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Duke Silver wrote:tour dates announced including one in my backyard in august. is the fan club worth the price? looks like that's the only way to buy tickets so far.

i'm biased but yeah, it's a small fee and there will be more access to live recordings and other things coming soon..if you're going to be seeing them in the coming year at seated venues, it will help, too...plus there's a new section on the forum for just roll call members...trust me, that's a nominal fee...it's worth it.

OBL---dumb question! :D

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Penny Lane wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:tour dates announced including one in my backyard in august. is the fan club worth the price? looks like that's the only way to buy tickets so far.

i'm biased but yeah, it's a small fee and there will be more access to live recordings and other things coming soon..if you're going to be seeing them in the coming year at seated venues, it will help, too...plus there's a new section on the forum for just roll call members...trust me, that's a nominal fee...it's worth it.

What took you so long?

- bubba

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

one belt loop wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

What took you so long?

Jazz Fest!

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Oof....joined the fan club for access to the Minneapolis pre-sale only to find out all the tickets are GA. $13 shipping for the fan club t-shirt seems a tad excessive, too. They better play a lot of It Still Moves.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:Oof....joined the fan club for access to the Minneapolis pre-sale only to find out all the tickets are GA. $13 shipping for the fan club t-shirt seems a tad excessive, too. They better play a lot of It Still Moves.

they played 3 or 4 songs off ISM when I saw them last year

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just bought my ticket. Didn't need to enroll with the MMJ fan club because Band of Horses posted THEIR pre-sale code on Facebook :D

The pre-sale code is FACTORY, btw

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:Just bought my ticket. Didn't need to enroll with the MMJ fan club because Band of Horses posted THEIR pre-sale code on Facebook :D

If I had waited a day I could have used the MMJ mailing list code. But the venue's website made it sound like there would be a certain number of seats (as opposed to lawn) available. Oh well. I hope the t-shirt is nice.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:
Zip City wrote:Just bought my ticket. Didn't need to enroll with the MMJ fan club because Band of Horses posted THEIR pre-sale code on Facebook :D

If I had waited a day I could have used the MMJ mailing list code. But the venue's website made it sound like there would be a certain number of seats (as opposed to lawn) available. Oh well. I hope the t-shirt is nice.

The venue here is all GA, with no difference between pit and lawn. I just wanted the security of having my tix in hand.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

If you wanna make plans that early, they'll most likely be playing Boston for NYE.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

new west coast dates:

> = with Iron and Wine

< = with TBD

09/07: Seattle, WA @ Marymoor#

09/08: Portland, OR @ Edgefield#

09/09: Boise, ID @ Idaho Botanical Garden#

09/11: Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern<

09/12: Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern>

09/13: Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern#

09/15: Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theatre#

*they also announced that they won't be repeating any songs for the 2 Red Rocks dates

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Penny Lane wrote:If you wanna make plans that early, they'll most likely be playing Boston for NYE.

as part of 1st night? or separate? what venue?

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:If you wanna make plans that early, they'll most likely be playing Boston for NYE.

as part of 1st night? or separate? what venue?

TD Garden, 1 show NYE

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The "Spontaneous Curation" thing bugs me. Make your own setlists, you lazy bastards. :evil:

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Duke Silver wrote:The "Spontaneous Curation" thing bugs me. Make your own setlists, you lazy bastards. :evil:

Huh???

This is awesome. I wish Neil Young was doing this for his upcoming tour. I'd be all over it like a cheap suit.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Duke Silver wrote:The "Spontaneous Curation" thing bugs me. Make your own setlists, you lazy bastards. :evil:

i voted 'At Dawn' on 10 threads...I kinda agree

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Got my fan club stuff in the mail last week. Pretty nice, actually. Cool poster on heavy duty paper, a t-shirt I'd actually wear, and a little hologram thingy. :? And the Red Rocks show, too. Can't wait to see them in six weeks or so. It's been...4 years? That's ridiculous.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Duke Silver wrote:Got my fan club stuff in the mail last week. Pretty nice, actually. Cool poster on heavy duty paper, a t-shirt I'd actually wear, and a little hologram thingy. :? And the Red Rocks show, too. Can't wait to see them in six weeks or so. It's been...4 years? That's ridiculous.

That is ridiculous, Duke! I haven't gotten mine yet. Supposed to come this week..

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I've missed out on the Spontaneous Curation thing. What is it? I don't understand. People used to bitch all the time because their setlists were so similar from night to night.

Enlighten me, please.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I just got back from Louisville and have to post SOMETHING. The Forecastle Festival was by far my favorite festival experience so far, I'm still in a lot of shock, awe and wonder. MMJ worked closely with Forecastle and (I think) Superfly Prod to put on this fest (10th year I think) and they completely brought it. This topped Bonnaroo 2006 AND 2008, although probably not the entire week of T5. Got to see them 3 different times on Sat, along with Lucero, Deer Tick, Fruit Bats, Dean Wareham, and Wilco. I didn't see a huge amount of music but what I saw was incredible. The fest is really contained well, fest hotel within walking distance and right downtown and the weather stayed completely overcast for the most part (a first for me-no sunburn).

Sat a bunch of us paid for a soundcheck party VIP thing and it was monsooning all morning. Finally after we thought they'd have to cancel (all fest activities were pushed back an hour that day), My Morning Jacket surfaced out of nowhere walking with instruments to all of us who'd taken shelter under this overpass. (something DBT would totally do!). They did a handful of acoustic numbers, Jim on the omnichord. Here's a bit of it (by then the clouds had started to part)

The show Sat night contained the best set list MMJ has ever put on--none of the slower ones (Golden) that break it up or slow it down, they played all their great covers they've only broken out a handful of times (Rocket Man, It makes no difference) and did George Harrison's Isn't it a Pity (with Dean Wareham). Their original guitarist Good Hair Johnny Quaid even joined them for Run Thru.

for the entire set on youtube:

Set list:

01 The Dark
02 Black Metal *with Preservation Hall
03 Wordless Chorus
04 Im Amazed
05 Anytime
06 It Beats For You
07 Steam Engine
08 Isn't It A Pity (George Harrison) *with Dean Wareham
09 Outta My System
10 Mahgeetah
11 Rocket Man (Elton John)
12 The Bear
13 Cobra
14 Run Thru
15 It Makes No Difference (The Band)
16 Smokin From Shootin
17 Touch Me Part 2
18 Gideon
19 Victory Dance
20 Circuital
21 Careless Whisper (George Michael)
22 One Big Holiday

for download:

http://www.thesteamengine.net/home/download-my-morning-jacket-2012-07-14-forecastle-festival-lo.html

Then (no day wasn't over yet), we headed to the Belle of Louisville (the riverboat) for an after-party with Preservation Hall Jazz Band and MMJ. No pics or setlist from that but it was a mostly PHJB set with MMJ sitting in (tiny stage) for Louisiana Fairytale etc, then MMJ took over the stage with them playing Highly Suspicious and Carnival Time. It was cool because everyone on the boat was just walking around mingling so you never knew who you were going to run into (Deer Tick for one)..very surreal experience. The boat didn't actually LEAVE the dock and that was my only disappointment.

In any case, I can't believe the Sat I had, along with the rest of the festival. If you ever get a chance, this is the most seamless, fun festival. There's not a ton of stages or acts so you're not really going to miss anything, and the bands you do see will be worth it. (There was a red bull stage, which even the artists were making fun of, that was the BASSNECTAR molly club kids' tent). Funny. I went in 2009 and it's grown 10 fold since then. Anyway, coming back down to earth but wanted to share my experience. If you're an MMJ fan, hopefully they'll continue to host this fest every year, although i have no idea how they'll top this.