My Morning Jacket thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: My Morning Jacket thread

Post by Duke Silver »

Great review, penny! Looks like a great time. Can't wait to see them next month.

Wiggum, from what I understand Spontaneous Curation lets fans vote on what the first song of the set will be.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Clams

Post by Clams »

Duke Silver wrote:Great review, penny! Looks like a great time.

what he said^^^^^^

Saw yours and headhunter's updates on facebook. Glad you guys got your fill.
If you don't run you rust

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Duke Silver wrote:Wiggum, from what I understand Spontaneous Curation lets fans vote on what the first song of the set will be.

we had voted for THE DARK and sure enough :-)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

As Penny said, this was an awesome festival. Many great bands but MMJ was clearly the star. Not many times you get to see a favorite times in a 3 hour time period. Once for a tiny, intimate acoustic set from face to face at eye-level from 2-3 feet away, once front row center on the rail for an epic 2 plus hour performance, and once in the intimate confines of an old boat -- at all times surrounded by many of your friends.

I saw at least a dozen people wearing DBT shirts this weekend (I wore one for Friday's show) and talked to or gave a big thumbs up to each and everyone. I have some pretty cool pictures, especially from the private, acoustic show if anyone wants to see them.

If you like or love the band, download the show from The Steam Engine. Great set.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Jealous! That looks really great...

vacant

Post by vacant »

After listening to the Cobra -> Run Thru portion over at archive.org, I'm hoping that sequence shows up at the Philly show. That was badass!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'd love to hear the full version of Run Thru next month. I've only heard them do the end of it (after Smoking From Shooting?)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2012/07/17/forecastle-2012-my-morning-jacket-wilco-atlas-sound-andrew-bird-lower-dens-charles-bradley-more

It was a performance that cemented, in our minds, MMJ's status as the best festival band in the world. They gave everyone in the crowd everything they wanted, and did it with a certain humble panache that is unique to the Jacket ... a combination of class, whimsy and tasteful earnestness that reflected the spirit of the Festival.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

This whole Roll Call thing seems like a mess. They sent out those laminates a couple months ago that said "For commemorative purposes only," but now it sounds like you need them to get in the venue early...? But they won't send out the exact details until two days before the show...? The planner in me is not happy.

Plus they recommend that you follow them on Twitter for last minute updates on fanclub ticketing. As if everyone has a smartphone. What a pain in the ass.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Duke Silver wrote:This whole Roll Call thing seems like a mess. They sent out those laminates a couple months ago that said "For commemorative purposes only," but now it sounds like you need them to get in the venue early...? But they won't send out the exact details until two days before the show...? The planner in me is not happy.

Plus they recommend that you follow them on Twitter for last minute updates on fanclub ticketing. As if everyone has a smartphone. What a pain in the ass.

there is supposed to be a special entrance line for the PIT, if you have your laminate, you can get you and a guest in before the other GA PIT line gets let in.. (in theory that's how it's supposed to work)...the only prob I have with Roll Call is you can't transfer the tix if you can't make a show, but I think they're working on it..

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Penny Lane wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:This whole Roll Call thing seems like a mess. They sent out those laminates a couple months ago that said "For commemorative purposes only," but now it sounds like you need them to get in the venue early...? But they won't send out the exact details until two days before the show...? The planner in me is not happy.

there is supposed to be a special entrance line for the PIT, if you have your laminate, you can get you and a guest in before the other GA PIT line gets let in.. (in theory that's how it's supposed to work)...the only prob I have with Roll Call is you can't transfer the tix if you can't make a show, but I think they're working on it..

I remain cautiously pessimistic. And I hope I can find that dumb laminate.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Found it! Looks like this venue has some sweet, sweet permanent seating down front. If it gets me in there, all will be forgiven.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Zach gets credit with no real face time or voice over? That is wierd.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

check out this review from last night's show---they're on fire this tour!

--I think My Morning Jacket is the best band I’ve ever seen in my life, and that goes back as far as seeing Pink Floyd before they had gray hair, U2 before they started releasing bad albums in the 90′s and nearly every live music stalwart I could reach in between then and today.

--If we had to enlist one band to save our world, these are my guys with Wilco (and in my opinion, DBT --Penny) in the bullpen.

--My Morning Jacket have raised the bar so high on the competition that everyone else is simply bringing #2 pencils to a gun fight. They’re nearly fucking unearthly they’re so good.

http://twths.org/concert-review-my-morning-jacket-band-of-horses-blind-pilot-at-the-starlight-theater-kansas-city-august-6-2012/

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

their show at Newport was the worst of the four times I've seen 'em...something was lacking.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

tinnitus photography wrote:their show at Newport was the worst of the four times I've seen 'em...something was lacking.

festival sets never really blow me away..(except It Makes No Difference with Brittany, that was pretty awesome)..you need to be there for that NYE show..

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Penny Lane wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:their show at Newport was the worst of the four times I've seen 'em...something was lacking.

festival sets never really blow me away..(except It Makes No Difference with Brittany, that was pretty awesome)..you need to be there for that NYE show..

Looks like its MMJ at Merriweather instead of DBT at Asheville for me. Hard choice, but tix were bought months ago and the anti-trade policy means I go or pay them a hundred bucks for a show I don't hear, so...

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Penny Lane wrote:

NYE is tough w/ a family, but we'll see...surprised to see it's not listed yet.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

lotusamerica wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

Looks like its MMJ at Merriweather instead of DBT at Asheville for me. Hard choice, but tix were bought months ago and the anti-trade policy means I go or pay them a hundred bucks for a show I don't hear, so...

I had tix for merriweather (and philly) and am skipping for DBT in Asheville (lol)...

*I offered my philly ticket to Clams---my merriweather is will call, too, so i can't even give that away..

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

i'm lucky enough that MMJ is playing NC the weekend after DBT so i've got 2 great music weekends lined up :D unfortunately i can only make one of the shows for both bands but that's still pretty strong. thanks for the link to that article penny, i'm all fired up for the MMJ show now!
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

patiently awaiting roll call instructions for friday...

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Penny Lane wrote:

So, you're committing to MMJ for NYE this year?

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

lotusamerica wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

So, you're committing to MMJ for NYE this year?

---not completely. still waiting on DBT's plans ..

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Phenomenal show last night. At Dawn to open (chills), Where to Begin, The Dark, Dondante into Phone Went West, gorgeous night under the stars in the hills of Wisconsin (not Minnesota, Jim)...barely anything from Evil Urges! Left at the beginning of the (first?) encore to beat traffic (I'm old). Left the venue to the tune of Wonderful, feat. Trampled by Turtles, fiddle, mando, banjo and all. Great show!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:Phenomenal show last night. At Dawn to open (chills), Where to Begin, The Dark, Dondante into Phone Went West, gorgeous night under the stars in the hills of Wisconsin (not Minnesota, Jim)...barely anything from Evil Urges! Left at the beginning of the (first?) encore to beat traffic (I'm old). Left the venue to the tune of Wonderful, feat. Trampled by Turtles, fiddle, mando, banjo and all. Great show!

WTF, dude? I'll be staying at concerts to the very end until I'm dead

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Phenomenal show last night. At Dawn to open (chills), Where to Begin, The Dark, Dondante into Phone Went West, gorgeous night under the stars in the hills of Wisconsin (not Minnesota, Jim)...barely anything from Evil Urges! Left at the beginning of the (first?) encore to beat traffic (I'm old). Left the venue to the tune of Wonderful, feat. Trampled by Turtles, fiddle, mando, banjo and all. Great show!

WTF, dude? I'll be staying at concerts to the very end until I'm dead

I know, I know...it was a first for me. But 5000 drunk idiots, long walk to car, 1.5 hour drive home, had been up since 6, tired wife...I have no regrets. Until I see the encore set lists, at least.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

ENCORE:

Wonderful
Victory Dance
I'm Amazed
Anytime
One Big Holiday

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

One Big Holiday is to My Morning Jacket as Angel Of Death is to Slayer.

In each case, I'd be shocked if I ever saw said band without getting said song.

I'm not complaining in either case, btw.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Bill in CT wrote:One Big Holiday is to My Morning Jacket as Angel Of Death is to Slayer.

In each case, I'd be shocked if I ever saw said band without getting said song.

I'm not complaining in either case, btw.

They actually opened with OBH the first time I saw them