My Morning Jacket thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Re: My Morning Jacket thread

Post by Penny Lane »

In my blood, there's gasoline..

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

[/quote]Definitely a turn-off. I refuse to believe Mr. James doesn't puff the magic dragon.[/quote}

I am pretty sure there is an element of Andy Kaufman in Jim. He knows exactly what he is doing, and stating. When I saw him with New Multitudes, 2 days in a row, he seemed to be the most at peace and content individual I have ever seen. I met all four members and he was very different from the rest, in his eye contact, and apparent sincerity. He seemed genuinely happy and it did not appear to be drug induced at that time. ( However I would assume at times he has "experimented" a bit.)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

oilpiers wrote:
Definitely a turn-off. I refuse to believe Mr. James doesn't puff the magic dragon.[/quote}

I am pretty sure there is an element of Andy Kaufman in Jim. He knows exactly what he is doing, and stating. When I saw him with New Multitudes, 2 days in a row, he seemed to be the most at peace and content individual I have ever seen. I met all four members and he was very different from the rest, in his eye contact, and apparent sincerity. He seemed genuinely happy and it did not appear to be drug induced at that time. ( However I would assume at times he has "experimented" a bit.)[/quote]

Maybe, but I don't really like the new-agey bullshit.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Smitty wrote:
oilpiers wrote:
Definitely a turn-off. I refuse to believe Mr. James doesn't puff the magic dragon.[/quote}

I am pretty sure there is an element of Andy Kaufman in Jim. He knows exactly what he is doing, and stating. When I saw him with New Multitudes, 2 days in a row, he seemed to be the most at peace and content individual I have ever seen. I met all four members and he was very different from the rest, in his eye contact, and apparent sincerity. He seemed genuinely happy and it did not appear to be drug induced at that time. ( However I would assume at times he has "experimented" a bit.)

Maybe, but I don't really like the new-agey bullshit.[/quote]
There are very few genres he has not dabbled in. He records what he wants to, and tries not to be trapped by fan expectation. I admire that, and like the new song more than 80% of Circuital.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

MMJ was one of my very favorite bands up to Evil Urges which was 1/2 ok and half garbage, but Circuital lost me entirely. Idk though, I kind of dig this solo song. It's strange but in a good way I think. looking forward to hearing the rest of teh record.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

TC--agree about the last 2 albums..
Last edited by Penny Lane on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:MMJ was one of my very favorite bands up to Evil Urges which was 1/2 ok and half garbage, but Circuital lost me entirely. Idk though, I kind of dig this solo song. It's strange but in a good way I think. looking forward to hearing the rest of teh record.

Maybe it was because I was a little late finding out about MMJ, but I really love EU. Love the variety. All the songs have the common element of lots of melody, which to me is what really separates them from all other bands now.The problem with Circuital, is it had too many Sesame Street melodies. But the songs are fitting in better live, now that they only play 2 or 3 out of 23 songs, instead of 9 out 20 when it was first released.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Circuital has grown huge on me - I hated it when it first came out, but I've grown to maybe not love it, but to like it a lot, more than EU.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:Circuital has grown huge on me - I hated it when it first came out, but I've grown to maybe not love it, but to like it a lot, more than EU.

the Circutial songs are amazing live, too.

EU is definitely a mixed bag, though Touch Me Pt. 2 is a top 3 MMJ song for me
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RMD

Post by RMD »

The sbd's of the Red Rocks run are availible on livedownloads.com for those interested.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Very sad these boys are done touring for a long while but got to see these last few shows and wow...best i've ever seen em...

Incredible three nights in Port Chester (Cap Theater) last week (no repeats at all)..including a 26 min version of Dondante..

Welcome Home, which I'd only heard one other time at a sound check:

I will be there when you die

Masterplan

and one of my favorites, Where to Begin (off the Elizabethtown soundtrack)

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

I bought the recordings of the three Capitol Theatre shows run. Freakin' amazing. Great recordings, fantastic shows. No repeats, a lot of mix in the deep catalog. Those shows are a must!
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

from Reddit Q&A today with JJ

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/Q/A

Q: Jim Im a huge fan and Im super pumed for the solo album. Any chance you will be at Bonnaroo this year?
A: thanks! yes!

Q: What are you listening to now? What albums are you looking forward to coming out in '13?
A: i've been deep into this band called floating action. i've been meditating on their last two records a lot: "desert etiquette" and "fake blood" ive also really been into this guy pastor t.l. barrett- he has two great albums: "like a ship" and "do not pass me by" there is a song on DNPMB called "father stretch my hands" that i have probably listened to 300000000 times in the past few days

Q: What is in a peanut butter pudding surprise?
A: ok. this is super important... so pay attention, because the ingredients are: 1.peanut 2.butter 3.pudding 4.love

Q: You’re stranded on a deserted island, but you get to bring 5 albums with you. What do you bring?
A: 1. whats goin on- marvin gaye 2.like a ship without a sail- pastor t.l. barrett 3.gil scott heron- pieces of a man 4.the ink spots greatest hits 5.where dreams come true- eddie dunstedter

Q: Were there any particular artists/music that inspired Regions of Light?
A: yes the album was inspired very much by the wordless novel "god's man" written by lynd ward. it is one of my favorite pieces of art...musically there is a pretty wide range...everything from the early duke ellington stuff to marvin gaye trouble man soundtrack to my neighbors dog barking all morning long.

Q: Just curious what your views on religion, spirituality and god are? I saw an interview with you in Amsterdam when the Tennessee Fire came out and you seemed to have firm views against religion and god. However, you seem to reference them a lot in your songs and not always in a negative way?
A:hello. i think spirituality is maybe the most important thing a person can try and figure out in their lifetime on this realm...and that can also change for a person many times over a lifetime as they grow and change with life...i think it is a very personal thing and deserves a lot of time and thought...meditation has helped me start to get a little bit better grasp on what i think about when it comes to even starting to try and figure out the tip of the iceburg lettuce pray. thanks!

Q: Do you think you've become a better songwriter/musician over time, and in what ways have you improved or evolved?
A: hmmm i dont know if i could say better or worse, i guess that is for you to decide! i know that i put everything i have into what i do and am constantly trying to change and develop what i do. i also know that life is very inspiring in every way if you keep your radar open...i find that i am constantly inspired by everything that hits me be it happy or sad there is something to be learned there and everywhere and i find if i keep my eyes open to the spirits and trust in god is as was were LOVE it will find me.

Q: Is Monsters of Folk still alive somewhere?
A: ha ha ha. yes MOF we are alive and well and hiding out in a valley on the southernmost point tip of mexico. we have worked on 5 new songs and also are developing a screenplay to be turned into a full length major motion picture. currently we are looking for a studio to take on the picture and also the album- if any of you are heads of major motion picture studios lets talk.

'i coined the phrase below' -Penny

Q: Jim, ever since your My Morning Jacket clothes have evolved into what many of us affectionately call "the brownfit" I have become obsessed with why the brownfit almost all the time. Can you explain the evolution of the brownfit; why those particular brown pants, how many actual pairs of the brown pants you own, will we see the brownfit on your solo tour, and will it ever be retired like the trench coat has? I love your music, and have quite a few questions about it as well, but you never get asked about this in interviews, and I really spend too much time wondering about this.A: i like to think of clothes almost like a uniform because i feel it is more memorable that constantly wearing different clothes all the time. i remember seeing an episode of the smurfs where smurfette opened her closet and all that was in there were like 20 different copies of the same white dress she always wore hanging on hangers. i just thought that was hilarious for some reason and have adopted that sense of fashion to my own sense of self when it comes to clothing my earthly body.

Q: Some question asked by a guy named I_Remove_Cocks
A: ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah aha ha ah ah a I AM ROARING WITH LAUGHTER OVER YOUR USERNAME!!!!!

Q: If you weren't such a pure musician, what would you being doing for a living
A: maybe art therapy or a roasted almond vendor on the streets on NYC

Q: How were you approached to guest star in the episode, "My Morning Straightjacket" of American Dad!? What were the cast and crew like?
A: mike barker from the show approached us with some really funny and crazy ideas. we were flattered and honored and also a little scared- cuz you are kind of helpless in a situation like that not knowing how it will turn out- but in the end they were really kind and did a really amazing job and we were beyond stoked and flattered!

Q: Jim, thanks a lot for doing this AMA! What song are you most proud that you've written, both musically and lyrically? Keep up the good work!

PS You guys crushed it NYE, thanks!
A:thanks for the kind words. hmmmm my shift of pride shifts from year to year...we have a system we call "the doghouse" where, for some reason i cannot explain i will start hating a song and throw it in "the doghouse" for awhile, but then out of nowhere and again for no reason, i will love it again and call it forth from the doghouse.

Q:How do you care for that luscious, manly mane of hair?
A: 1.dont shampoo. very important. only use conditioner. 2.the brand of conditioner i use is called- hold on i have to go to the bathroom and find it real quick....well shit i cant find it but anyway its made out of the bones of ancient himalayan polar bears. very rare.

Q: What, exactly, is that box you hang 'round your neck during shows? Is it an MPC?
A: it is the essence of a bumblebee sting. i took whats leftover after the sting, grilled it, flipped it, reduced it to it's purest energy vibrating on am emotional level, then lit that up and saved it. apple-s yall. apple-s.

Q: Mr. James/Yames, I am a huge fan.

I hold steadfast to the belief that “Golden” is the greatest song to listen to when on a scenic road trip. Consequently, I think that an MP3 copy of the song should come standard with every newly-purchased car in America. Are you working with Big Auto to make this happen?

Keep making the greatest music ever.
A: aw thanks for the kind words. that is funny you should mention that because yes actually i have been in meetings all week long with the heads of all major US auto companies and we have developed a 2 point plan to bring back the US auto industry to its former glory. the plan is as follows:

1.just build new versions of all the old beautiful cars. the classics. the did it right the first time, no need to improve on perfection. only make them hybrid and better on the environment in as many ways as possible and also add modern elements like GPS or stereo, etc but from the outside make them look EXACTLY like a classic model- like 75 coupe de ville for instance. 2.install the song "golden" inside of every stereo system.

Q:What is your beards name?
A: CAPTAIN GOODIES.

Q: Would you rather fight one horse sized duck, or 100 duck sized horses?
A: i like these kind of questions because i feel like they deal with the big issues. im glad you asked about healthcare because i believe it is one of the biggest issues facing not only americans but the world. we need to get down to the bottom of this, thru the greed somehow, and take care of each other- to make sure that every american is taken care of no matter what...i really believe that this is possible if we can work together to see thru the greed while keeping options open to create a system that works for everyone. its not impossible. it can be done.

Q: Where do you get your capes/ponchos?
A: at joe's cape and poncho hut, located on I-95 just off the new jersey turnpike.

Q: This isn’t a question, but I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for you guys bringing “It Makes No Difference” back into the fold. I stood on the rail for the Forecastle show and it was the first time that live music had ever brought me to full blown tears. Thank you.
A: thank you.

Q: 1) Did you guys ever become the second band to make it to space, as per"the battleplan" (and behind Wyld Stallyns, of course)?
A: YES we are in space as we soak i mean speak.

Q: Is My Morning Jacket back in the studio for another album? If not, will they be in the near future? And if so, when?
A: yes we plan on working this summer and fall to get another one cookin

Q: -I love the wails and screams you deliver in songs like Gideon and Wordless Chorus. Reminds me of Robert Plant. Did you have to work on that a lot before it came out like that, or did it just explode out of you during practice one day?A:thanks! the screams and wails just kind of pop out of nowhere when they are born...we will just be rocking and rocking and then all of a sudden i am leaping around and wailing and sweating and chanting and whirling and the next thing i know it is morning and i waking up in bed... covered in mud.

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:MMJ was one of my very favorite bands up to Evil Urges which was 1/2 ok and half garbage, but Circuital lost me entirely. Idk though, I kind of dig this solo song. It's strange but in a good way I think. looking forward to hearing the rest of teh record.

Agree. Through Z MMJ was right up there with the Truckers for me. Z is one of my favorite albums, period. Things started to go south with EU, although there are still some songs on there that I really like. When Circuital came out I listened to it twice and have never listened to it again. Just totally forgettable for me.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It Still Moves is my favorite.

I've said it before, but the Circuital songs are way better live.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

US tour dates announced for Jim James solo tour

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I definitely wore out At Dawn, It Still Moves and Z. I really put Z through the ringer and played that sucker relentlessly for God knows how long. I think At Dawn is still my favorite album.

I agree with Zip on Circuital. It doesn't stack up to previous work but some songs add some magical goodness to their live show. I guess in hindsight, that's what they do best.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

My favorite MMJ album will always be "It Still Moves". And I love "Circuital". And yeah, the songs are always better live. In any album. I've got all their albums and releases, but MMJ are one of those bands I almost only hear live today (like Pearl Jam, Black Crowes and some more favorites). Their shows are just too good. I highly recommend buying the three "Capitol Theatre" shows from last month. Freakin' amazing. No repeats. At their best.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Touring with Bob Dylan this summer? Rumors the 3rd band is Wilco. (RUMORS...)

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/203726071.html

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Penny Lane wrote:Touring with Bob Dylan this summer? Rumors the 3rd band is Wilco. (RUMORS...)

Jim James has a ton of festivals booked, so that would be a crazy schedule for him.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Zip City wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:Touring with Bob Dylan this summer? Rumors the 3rd band is Wilco. (RUMORS...)

Jim James has a ton of festivals booked, so that would be a crazy schedule for him.

i'm assuming it's after in Aug/Sept. PLEASE SAY RED ROCKS PLEASE SAY RED ROCKS..

(not a fan of the solo album, ready for his tour to be over and get some MMJ back)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Penny Lane wrote:
Zip City wrote:

i'm assuming it's after in Aug/Sept. PLEASE SAY RED ROCKS PLEASE SAY RED ROCKS..

(not a fan of the solo album, ready for his tour to be over and get some MMJ back)

solo album is hit or miss, but the hits are pretty damn good.

seeing him on Tuesday. seems like his main set is the solo stuff, and his encore is all MMJ material. can't wait to see him in a smaller venue

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Zip City wrote:

seeing him on Tuesday. seems like his main set is the solo stuff, and his encore is all MMJ material. can't wait to see him in a smaller venue

he did 3 Monsters of Folk songs the night before last which would be a treat (to me)..the main set is the album in order in entirety..

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Penny Lane wrote:
Zip City wrote:

he did 3 Monsters of Folk songs the night before last which would be a treat (to me)..the main set is the album in order in entirety..

I can think of worse ways to spend an evening

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

MMJ will be on CBS Sunday Morning coming up shortly
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

What can one expect from the Americanarama set?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Erdlivz wrote:What can one expect from the Americanarama set?

Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
Circuital
Master Plan
First Light
It Beats 4 U
Slow Slow Tune
Phone Went West
Brown-Eyed Women
(Grateful Dead cover) (with Bob Weir)
I Know You Rider
Victory Dance
Mahgeetah
Gideon

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Zip City wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:What can one expect from the Americanarama set?

Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
Circuital
Master Plan
First Light
It Beats 4 U
Slow Slow Tune
Phone Went West
Brown-Eyed Women
I Know You Rider
Victory Dance
Mahgeetah
Gideon

Awesome. Thank you. Just read up on the Bob Weir shows. I wish he was sticking with them. I'll be heading to the show at DTE in Detroit in a couple weeks.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

One Big Holiday. Anyone going?

http://www.mmjonebigholiday.com/
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Meanwhile, last night at the Americanarama Festival in Virgina Beach, Dylan joins Tweedy and Jim James for "The Weight". The video itself isn't of the best quality but the audio is fine.