Artists you kick yourself for because you never saw them

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

scotto

Re: Artists you kick yourself for because you never saw them

Post by scotto »

Another one for me was sax player Art Pepper. He started out in the '50s West Coast "cool school" of post-bebop players, then was in and out of prison through the '60s and had something of a renaissance in the late '70s and early '80s.

I was living in KC at the time and big into jazz, and a big fan of Pepper.
The city used to sponsor a free concerts-in-the-parks series in the summer, and brought in some big names: Brubeck, Mingus, Dexter Gordon, Basie. So Art Pepper was on the bill for the summer of '82, but passed away that June (and the rest, as they say, etc.).

I was really bummed, but went to the see the group they brought in to replace him: It was some young upstart kids named Marsallis.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Zip City wrote:Nirvana

huh????

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I've seen Stevie Wonder a few times, but passed on the chance to see him at Boston Garden in '75 - a whole bunch of my friends went and i can't remember why i didn't. That turned out to be the "stevie wonder transcends racism and heals (for a day anyway) the wounds caused by the bussing crisis" show. The one where he asked a black kid and a white kid to come up on stage, took their hands and said something like "i dont know which is which color, why can't y'all act that way?" People couldn't stop talking about it. Still haven't as a matter of fact.

And what Scotto said about Art Pepper. And James Brown, too, who had his own late 70's revival where he was playing NYC clubs all the time and i somehow managed not to go.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Zip City wrote:
The Black Canary wrote:
Zip City wrote:Nirvana

huh????

I could have seen them on their last US tour before Kurt offed himself, and I'm kicking myself for passing on the opportunity.

what's unclear?

No I get that part, I just never got the "Nirvana" bug back in the days of grunge. When he offed himself, they tried to compare it to the death of Elivs. Personally I was "who is Kurt Cobane" I had heard of the bad and some of their songs, but I had not a clue as to who he was. Seriously to compare his death to that of the King was just foolishness on some journalists part . Since multi generations knew Elivs and you can not say the same for Cobane, let's face it grunge rock came and went in less than what 6-7 years as mainstream, Elivs will "live" forever.

That is just one woman's opinion...

joelle

Post by joelle »

The Black Canary wrote:
No I get that part, I just never got the "Nirvana" bug back in the days of grunge. When he offed himself, they tried to compare it to the death of Elivs. Personally I was "who is Kurt Cobane" I had heard of the bad and some of their songs, but I had not a clue as to who he was. Seriously to compare his death to that of the King was just foolishness on some journalists part . Since multi generations knew Elivs and you can not say the same for Cobane, let's face it grunge rock came and went in less than what 6-7 years as mainstream, Elivs will "live" forever.

fair enough
but this woman' s opinion is
kurt cobain was instrumental in the changing face of music
and so was his death in a sense
i saw them open for a chicago band
while i can't say i was /or am a fan, the connection with the crowd was impressive and moving and real

i remember drivin in the car when i heard the news
it was incredibly sad and shocking

elvis was a huge loss
cobain was a huge loss
no need to compare them
there were tons of other great loses
"the day, the music died"
each has their own impact

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

The Black Canary wrote:/quote]

Dont know that Elvis will live forever, not sure how much the younger generations know or can even tell you about Elvis. And I definitely know that younger kids still dig nirvana. Saw some skater kids the other day and they were out thrashing on some public benches and had the radio blaring the Bleach album. Ask those kids about Elvis, lol. I never dug Elvis at all, and grunge might have only lasted 6-7 years before active rock killed it, but I still enjoy listening to Nirvanas albums. Elvis was more along the lines of Michael Jackson when he died, everybody knew about them, while Cobanes death hit people more along the lines of Hendrix or Morrison. For a 14yr old kid like me, Kurt Cobane dying was much bigger than Elvis living or dying, Elvis was old lady music,lol(when I was 14).

joelle

Post by joelle »

muddy waters.
talk about a death that made me real real sad
i was only 14
would not get my fake id til the following year
damn shame.

pour a little out

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Never saw Talking Heads or Led Zeppelin (had tickets though, Bonham died).

You had a ticket, but it got canceled. The rest as they say...

joelle wrote:muddy waters.
talk about a death that made me real real sad
i was only 14
would not get my fake id til the following year
damn shame.

pour a little out

That's a cool grave marker.
If you don't run you rust

joelle

Post by joelle »

Clams wrote:

joelle wrote:
pour a little out

That's a cool grave marker.

That was a cool cat.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Tonite. Had a free ticket offered by a very lovely lady; had to turn it down. I hear it was quite a show, too. :(
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

beantownbubba wrote:Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Tonite. Had a free ticket offered by a very lovely lady; had to turn it down. I hear it was quite a show, too. :(

She will be around for awhile, no worries there. Great show though, and shes hot. I was borderline on going to see Neil Young tomorrow, until i realized what i was about to turn down...hah

Roy

Post by Roy »

The Clash--(Saw them but it was towards the end when Mick Jones was gone, so I don't consider it the real Clash)
Talking Heads
Bad Brains
Minutemen
Replacements
Westerberg (Could happen though. You never know)

crowes74

Post by crowes74 »

i missed 2 shows with a chance at free tickets. clapton and the who, i dont have any clue why i passed on either, just a dumb ass.

the only band i have a chance of seeing reunite that i've missed in the past is jellyfish. that would make my year (or three).

i did give away 2 ray charles tickets. won them off the radio as a kid. my sitter had a blind daughter who loved his music, so i gave them the tickets. i'm sure they got more out of it than i would have, but now i wish i'd had been able to go also.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Bands from this list that I did get to see live:
DBT with Jason
about 8 times
RA/Cardinals

Red Butte Gardens 2007
Original GnR lineup and/or Izzy solo
Use Your Illusion 1991, although with Matt Sorum on drums so technically doesn't count, BTW Axl was the biggest asshole I've ever seen, no shit
Jerry Garcia
21 GD shows and 3 JGB Warfield shows
Screaming Trees
'89 or '90, burned with 'em backstage
Led Zeppelin
O.K. Plant once and Page and Plant once, but hey
Talking Heads
another technicality, saw Tom Tom Club on the escape from New York Tour in 1989, along with Blondie and The Ramones. Tom Tom Club was essentially Talking Heads without David Byrne, though they did play tons of TH hits. Got to see David Bryne last summer. Freakin' awesome!
Bad Brains
Speedway Cafe in 1989-90? One of my last times in the mosh pit, the last was X in 2002
Jellyfish
Magic Mountain, 1992
Janes Addiction
'89 Ritual tour and '97 at the Enit festival in SF and two nights later we closed down the Alladin in Vegas Janes style.

Ones that I've managed to miss, some by the cruel twist of fate, include:
AC/DC
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley, though I did see Ziggy in '87 '88 and '96 as well as Damian at Vegoose in '06
ELLA!
Elvis Costello
James Brown
Janis
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Pink Floyd
Pixies
Ryan Bingham
Steve Earle
Van Morrison

Bands that I did get to see include:
Lynyrd Skynyrd in '77 before that plane crashed
Bad Co. in '75
Emerson Lake and Palmer
The Who
Firehose
The Eurythmics
Rod Stewart
Tears for Fears
Living Color
The Cars
The Art of Noise
PIL
Alice in Chains
Oingo Boingo
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Fleetwood Mac
David Bowie
The Knack
The Blasters
John Kay
Black Oak Arkansas
Bow Wow Wow
Judas Priest
The Rolling Stones
Jeff Beck
CSNY
John Mayall
Pappa John Creech
Robert Palmer
Willie Nelson in '79

Some of whom can still be seen, but I saw 'em back in the day.

is it any wonder I can't hear for shit?

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Had tickets for one of the Black Crowes/Jimmy Page shows that got canceled because of Page's back injury.

mhc

Post by mhc »

rlipps wrote:Had tickets for one of the Black Crowes/Jimmy Page shows that got canceled because of Page's back injury.

Yep, tdawhare and I had tickets to Deer Creek. Oh what could have been.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

Johnny Cash. But because of missing Him I make a hugh effort to see all the great ones. How about ones you wish you had skipped like Bob Dylan. Seen him three times and can't believe I payed to see him twice after I saw him the first time and thinkng he sucked live

Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

Oh yea I saw Stevie Ray about amonth before we lost him. That was a great show One I will never forget