Loudest show you been to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flying Rabbit

Re: Loudest show you been to?

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Sub wrote:
Flying Rabbit wrote:Mogwai @ Ottobar (circa CODY)

Band was super loud to begin with, but when Stuart ripped off his guitar strings during "My Father, My King", and wrapped the strings to the microphone--it created an unholy communion of reverb-induced feedback. So much so that the speakers in the venue apparently blew, and prior to that were going in and out. The audience literally didn't know if it was the speakers or if we were all going deaf. I had no ear protection, and had a ringing in them for over a week. On the drive home, I noticed by the time we got to our destination my throat was sore. Apparently my friend and I couldn't hear well and were yelling at full volume the entire ride back as we talked.

Saw Boris in DC at the Black Cat, and they weren't anywhere near as loud as I had heard. Kinda a letdown.

I don't quite know why but this was easily the funniest story I've read all day.

I left out the part where while waiting in line, Mogwai's manager was walking up and down the line asking if anyone was carrying. Two intrepid kids in front of us said they were, the manager ushered them in--and they watched the show from the side of the stage. Presumably hiiiiiigh.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

bold99 wrote:tie between Sleep at ATP 10'
Dinosaur Jr. at the Middle East Club in Cambridge, MA

i was at both of those shows (i think...depends on what year DinoJr was downstairs)

kendix

Post by kendix »

The Wooden Shjips
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Biffy Clyro, Motorhead and Foo Fighters, together in Little Rock.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

All of my first shows were punk gigs in clubs and rec centers. They were kids with big amps turned up too loud. Tons of feedback that killed my ears.

The first time I saw DBT was The Dirty South tour and I was right against the stage when the show started. Cooley walks out by himself and I am right in front of him. He was still playing the flying V and busted into Cottonseed. It shook my being and you could feel wind hitting your hair. My friend, who was just as big a fan as I, had to walk towards the back after about 20 seconds.

One of the loudest shows I remember was Public Enemy at The Palace in Hollywood around 1991. The 808 bass was so loud it was hurting my heart. It vibrated your whole body because the wood dance floor was like that thing you put your feet on at the fair.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Ted Nugent - Richmond Coliseum 1986 opening for Aerosmith. Nugent just got up on stage and played with none of the right wing, political bullshit. He was so loud that I could barely hear Aerosmith play. It was ok because Aerosmith sucked on that tour anyway.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Yellow Ledbelly

Post by Yellow Ledbelly »

Razorback wrote:Biffy Clyro, Motorhead and Foo Fighters, together in Little Rock.

Same show except in Memphis

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

ruthy2705 wrote:Ac/dc in the Ulster Hall Belfast 1979 with Bon Scott singing let there be rock.

AC/DC Boston Garden 1980 :shock: :shock:
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

The Jam in Ann Arbor Michigan 1982. Several people in Chicago tell me that the Jam show at the Park West that same tour was the loudest they ever heard.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Loud doesn't always mean good
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

:lol:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

you're easily amused

the Dinosaur Jr. show I saw was loud to the point of being painful and distorted. it was horrible

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Zip City wrote:you're easily amused

the Dinosaur Jr. show I saw was loud to the point of being painful and distorted. it was horrible

By you? Absolutely. I don't think the insinuation was that loud = better. But thanks for that observation Zip. Your expertise on sound is borderline legendary.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:
Zip City wrote:you're easily amused

By you? Absolutely. I don't think the insinuation was that loud = better. But thanks for that observation Zip. Your expertise on sound is borderline legendary.

Your opinion of my opinion means so much to me.

When can we look forward to you disappearing for another 3 months?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

can we alternate like the Olympics so that it's Zip's turn next?

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

I think it depends on the music being played if loud is better or not, Jucifer was so loud that when they turned on Ambers amplifiers, just the act of turning them on made the bar vibrate, they sounded great that loud, other bands, be they rock, metal or whatever may not sound as good because at that sound level you can lose some of the detail and intracases in the music.
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

joelle

Post by joelle »

the cramps
w/ the screaming blue messiahs
cabaret metro, chicago
loud.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Judas Priest on the Defenders of the Faith tour, 1984, Lloyd Noble Center, Norman, Ok.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Roy

Post by Roy »

All Husker/Sugar shows.
Big Black ran a close second.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Helmet and my first MMJ show. Crazy loud.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

BigTom wrote:Ted Nugent - Richmond Coliseum 1986 opening for Aerosmith. Nugent just got up on stage and played with none of the right wing, political bullshit. He was so loud that I could barely hear Aerosmith play. It was ok because Aerosmith sucked on that tour anyway.

That was a good concert, I saw it in Birmingham. I thought Aerosmith was pretty good, right before they went pop. Joe Perry sang Red House. I remember Nuge's bass player looked like a metal Barry Manilow. Too bad Derek St. John was no longer with him (best as I can recall, 25 years later).