bruce

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

one belt loop

Re: new bruce

Post by one belt loop »

This board sure loves a list.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

joelle

Post by joelle »

beantownbubba wrote:A vote for lucky town! Nice, Joelle. (Not that I agree, but it's always nice to see an iconoclast being iconoclastic :D )

"Better Days" – 4:08
"Lucky Town" – 3:27
"Local Hero" – 4:04
"If I Should Fall Behind" – 2:57
"Leap of Faith" – 3:27
"The Big Muddy" – 4:05
"Living Proof" – 4:49
"Book of Dreams" – 4:24
"Souls of the Departed" – 4:17
"My Beautiful Reward" – 3:55

I love this album. truly.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

one belt loop wrote:This board sure loves a list.

You're just figuring this out?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

In my incomplete Bruce-iverse:

Darkness
Born To Run
Born in the USA
Nebraska
Greetings
River
Wild, Innocent
Everything else

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

cortez the killer wrote:

You're just figuring this out?

Just marveling like I do.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

We're actually compelled to do it by the definition of music:

Music: An art form that can be divided or grouped or organized by 10, 40 or 100. E.g Top 10 albums of the year; Top 40 songs of the week; Top 100 guitarists of all time.

And, since Casey Stengel is mentioned elsewhere tonite: "You can look it up."*

*Actually you can't but it sounds good, doesn't it?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

vacant

Post by vacant »

joelle wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:A vote for lucky town! Nice, Joelle. (Not that I agree, but it's always nice to see an iconoclast being iconoclastic :D )

"Better Days" – 4:08
"Lucky Town" – 3:27
"Local Hero" – 4:04
"If I Should Fall Behind" – 2:57
"Leap of Faith" – 3:27
"The Big Muddy" – 4:05
"Living Proof" – 4:49
"Book of Dreams" – 4:24
"Souls of the Departed" – 4:17
"My Beautiful Reward" – 3:55

I love this album. truly.

Souls of The Departed is a badass tune. Also really dig If I Should Fall Behind.

Clams

Post by Clams »

videos and stuff from the Apollo show...

http://gothamist.com/2012/03/10/videos_ ... hp#photo-1
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:

We're actually compelled to do it by the definition of music:

Music: An art form that can be divided or grouped or organized by 10, 40 or 100. E.g Top 10 albums of the year; Top 40 songs of the week; Top 100 guitarists of all time.

And, since Casey Stengel is mentioned elsewhere tonite: "You can look it up."*

*Actually you can't but it sounds good, doesn't it?

No question that these 2 posts are the #1 and #2 posts on lists that have ever been on the board. Of course it's tough to put them in order but here goes:

1. OBL's post
2. Beantown's post
3. Cortez' response to OBL's post (this one is the dark horse folks, stay tuned)
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I <3 TC

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:I <3 TC

Damn you're easy.

ruthy2705

Post by ruthy2705 »

1 Born To Run
2 Tunnel Of Love
3 Darkness On The Edge Of Town
4 Nebraska
5 Born In The USA
6 The Rising
7 The River
8 The Ghost Of Tom Joad
9 Human Touch
10 Magic
I'm not a big fan of the Seeger Sessions album. There's not much life to it,but the tour was great.

Clams

Post by Clams »

A great recap with excerpts from Bruce's speech yesterday at sxsw...

http://backstreets.com/news.html

Woody [Guthrie]'s world was a world where fatalism was tempered by a practical idealism. It was a world where speaking truth to power wasn’t futile, whatever its outcome. Why do we continue to talk about Woody so many years on? He never had a hit, never went platinum, never played in an arena... But he's a big ghost in the machine. I believe it's because Woody’s songs... tried to answer Hank Williams' question [about] why your bucket has a hole in it. That’s a question that’s eaten at me for a long time.”

So rumble, young musicians, rumble. Open your ears and open your hearts. Don't take yourself too seriously, and take yourself as seriously as death itself. Don’t worry. Worry your ass off. Have unclad confidence, but doubt. It keeps you awake and alert. Believe you are the baddest ass in town — and you suck! It keeps you honest. Be able to keep two completely contradictory ideals alive and well inside of your heart and head at all times. If it doesn't drive you crazy, it will make you strong. And stay hard, stay hungry and stay alive. And when you walk on stage tonight to bring the noise, treat it like it's all we have — and then remember it's only rock 'n' roll."

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

That last quote is awesome.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote: Plus, I think his anti-recession lyrics seem forced. Not forced in the sense that he doesn't believe the words he sings, because I think he does believe them, but forced in the sense that he's making too much of an effort to crank out the "Bruce-ian" lyrics that everyone - including himself - expects from him. The lyrics grate on me, and I don't think they sound good in the songs.

From a review of the SF show by Alan Scherstuhl in SF Weekly, linked by The Avon Lady in the SF show thread: "in '08 "The Righteous Path" was that tough-minded rock-will-get-us-through-troubled-times hit Springsteen keeps trying for.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bruce Springsteen is a force of nature. If we could plug him into the grid our energy problems would be solved.

I came into Monday nite's show at the Boston Garden after a long, bad day. I was frustrated by the hassles of getting into the arena, which reminded me why i never go to arena shows anymore (except for Springsteen). I found his self-introduction off putting. The first 2 songs were off the new album, which i don't really like. By the 5th song all was forgotten and I was in bossland where all things are possible and rock n roll not only can, but actually does, save your soul.

I had purposely avoided reports of the new tour (except what i read here on 3dd from CH) so everything was a surprise, and that was a good thing. I didn't know what songs I missed from earlier shows (turns out they included Rosalita and E Street Shuffle :( ), I didn't know which songs were new to the set (4 including Jackson Cage (!) and She's the One) and I didn't know how much of the new album he played (a lot but not including my favorite song which i still think would tear it up in concert, You've Got It) so I just got to experience the show in real time, which imo is the best way to do it.

Amazingly enough, after every thing, Bruce still believes in what he does, still loves and needs his audience and lives to connect with it and still inspires and excites like very few stars ever have. Sure the knee slide is total shtick at this point, but his crowd surfing over about a third of the GA crowd on the floor which delivered him safely back to the stage is a fairly incredible statement of faith in and connection to his audience at a time when stars are more isolated and less human than ever.

One of the big problems with big shows is the lack of spontaneity. Well this show had one of the great spontaneous moments I can remember: The crowd, full of NE Patriots fans of course, booing the reference to the NY Football Giants in "Wrecking Ball" and Bruce's priceless aw shucks reaction. :D Speaking of the crowd, it was amazing throughout. The energy was palpable, Bruce was obviously feeding off it and mentioned it 2x, a surprisingly large portion of the crowd was familiar w/ the new songs and overall, it was the loudest crowd I've heard at Boston Garden (new or old) for any event. Big fun.

Speaking of lack of spontaneity, the show was clearly subject to a curfew and Springsteen pushed hard to fit as much music in as he could - there was no break between "finale" and "encore" (the band never left the stage) for example. He squeezed 25 songs into a little under 3 hours which, when u consider the raps, the crowd cheering, equipment swaps, etc is about as many as possible.

Oddly enough in a 3 guitar band, one of my biggest disappointments was how little guitar hero fireworks there were. Yet despite that Nils Lofgren was featured fairly prominently and more than usual (no long solos but several short ones) partly addressing my longstanding concern that there's never enough Nils. There was surprisingly little interplay between Bruce & Miami Steve which was disappointing to this long time fan.

There was a very touching tribute to Danny Federici and Clarence Clemons during "My City of Ruins" and another to the Big Man during "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out." More than most stars, Bruce knows what's expected of him and what's required. The newly expanded E Street Band also included Clarence's nephew on sax whose every move was greeted by huge cheers from the crowd and who filled his uncle's musical shoes quite admirably (nobody could replace his presence, I don't think).

Peter Wolf made his traditional appearance during "Raise Your Hand" and appeared sober and full of his own brand of energy. It was great to see him :)

Highlights included "My City of Ruins", actually all the songs from The Rising were highlights [pause to give myself a pat on the back: During the Rising tour, a lot of fans were complaining about the number of new songs in the live set and i said that these songs would soon become part of the "standard Bruce canon" and they clearly have - incredibly well received and appreciated by the audience]. Other highlights were "Thundercrack," a far better than the album "Jack of All Trades," a stupendous "American Skin (41 Shots)" obviously intended as commentary on events in Florida and "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out" (w/ an over 3 minute insane crowd tribute to the Big Man).

OK, I'll never be 20 again and Bruce's music will never be new and fresh again, Bruce will never be scrappy and ambitious and eager to make it big again, and we'll never be on a simultaneous discovery of life and music again, but despite all that and against all odds, he still delivers in a way that almost nobody (except DBT, actually) can. Still worth every dollar and every hassle of going, and still most highly recommended.

See backstreets.com for set list and more details.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

In my blood, there's gasoline..

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I went to the show last night at MSG and it was superb! Spirit In The Night followed by Thundercrack was a great double shot of old school Bruce. Because The Night featured a dazzling guitar solo by Nils Lofgren during which he whirled while he played. (I've only seen Nils play with the ESB...gotta see one of his own shows after this tour ends & he does his own thing again.) Backstreets was stunning and a tour premiere to boot. Trapped was another highlight for me. The tributes (first to Danny and Clarence and later to Clarence) were very touching. I had dinner with Penny Lane, headhunter, and others at Stout before the show. They played the Hammersmith '75 dvd which definitely got us pumped for a great night at the Garden...which it turned out to be.
If you are on the fence about seeing this tour...GO. Bruce & the band are in terrific form.
Also: The band came onstage to the strains of "New York, New York" and then played Badlands with the house lights up...great way to start the show at MSG.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Clams

Post by Clams »

Of all the Springsteen tours over the years, I think it's safe to say that his 1978 tour (when Darkness on the Edge of Town came out) is generally regarded as his best. And if you've heard the 1978 bootlegs (there are several very good ones b/c a handful of shows were broadcast live on FM radio), you know that that tour included stunning, extended versions of Prove it all Night and Backstreets at every show. Only problem is, Springsteen hasn't played those versions since, and most longtime fans had given up hope. Well last night in Barcelona, after 34 years (!),he finally played the extended Prove it All Night with the piano/guitar intro. Amazing! Here it is...

Clams

Post by Clams »

I just checked out backstreets.com for the first time in a while and it seems that Bruce is currently touring Australia and that Tom Morello has (supposedly temporarily) replaced Miami Steve in the E Street Band. I know Morello frequently sits it and jams with the band, usually on "Ghost of Tom Joad," but I had no idea he is now "in the band." Interesting. Here's an article I dug up about it:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20130325

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Clams wrote:I just checked out backstreets.com for the first time in a while and it seems that Bruce is currently touring Australia and that Tom Morello has (supposedly temporarily) replaced Miami Steve in the E Street Band. I know Morello frequently sits it and jams with the band, usually on "Ghost of Tom Joad," but I had no idea he is now "in the band." Interesting. Here's an article I dug up about it:

Morello is suppossedly sitting in while Little Steven films the next series of Lillehammer.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:I just checked out backstreets.com for the first time in a while and it seems that Bruce is currently touring Australia and that Tom Morello has (supposedly temporarily) replaced Miami Steve in the E Street Band. I know Morello frequently sits it and jams with the band, usually on "Ghost of Tom Joad," but I had no idea he is now "in the band." Interesting. Here's an article I dug up about it:

Four hours??!! "Bishop Danced"?! Talk about digging deep. I hear Australia calling me...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Had something of a Springsteen breakthrough today.

I doubt I'll ever be as obsessive about him as mnay of those who enjoy his music seem to be but it did kind of click finally.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:Had something of a Springsteen breakthrough today.

I doubt I'll ever be as obsessive about him as mnay of those who enjoy his music seem to be but it did kind of click finally.

Remember this date :)

Now you have to see him live!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:

I would like to see him live but travel would probably be invloved. I don't know but I would be surprised if he ever comes down here much. He might play Atlanta once in a while I guess.

I think for me it took getting to a certain age to get where he's coming from. As you know, I became a father last year and that probably had something to do with it too.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Cole Younger wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I would like to see him live but travel would probably be invloved. I don't know but I would be surprised if he ever comes down here much. He might play Atlanta once in a while I guess.

I think for me it took getting to a certain age to get where he's coming from. As you know, I became a father last year and that probably had something to do with it too.

You pick the date, I'll buy your ticket, you handle travel. I'll do it, I swear.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I think she means w/in the continental United States. :shock:

Edit: As long as he's touring, Bruce plays the Southeast regularly including Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa and the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

dogstar wrote:

Morello is suppossedly sitting in while Little Steven films the next series of Lillehammer.

I can confirm this. At least the bit about Little Steven being in Lillehammer.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote:

Four hours??!! "Bishop Danced"?! Talk about digging deep. I hear Australia calling me...

Think there might have been a bit of journalistic licence taken there - the setlists on Backstreets for Australia make no mention of 'Bishop Danced' plus you're a bit late for the Australian tour it finished yesterday.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote: plus you're a bit late for the Australian tour it finished yesterday.

That's only because they're in the future over there ;)