bruce

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

bruce

Post by Clams »

here's the first single from springsteen's new record Wrecking Ball

Last edited by Clams on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Re: new bruce

Post by Iowan »

I'm going to get crucified for this, but this song comes off really jingoistic. I saw Bill's breakdown in the other thread about how its a criticism of the government's lack of concern, but Bruce makes it very hard to find that side of the song.

If Vegas is taking odds, I'll put $100 down that whomever wins the Republican nomination tries to use this as a campaign tune.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:I'm going to get crucified for this, but this song comes off really jingoistic. I saw Bill's breakdown in the other thread about how its a criticism of the government's lack of concern, but Bruce makes it very hard to find that side of the song.

If Vegas is taking odds, I'll put $100 down that whomever wins the Republican nomination tries to use this as a campaign tune.

Not to mention it's overproduced and the music is terrible.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:I'm going to get crucified for this, but this song comes off really jingoistic. I saw Bill's breakdown in the other thread about how its a criticism of the government's lack of concern, but Bruce makes it very hard to find that side of the song.

Not to mention it's overproduced and the music is terrible.

I've only had one listen, and for whatever reason was more focused on lyrical content, but it did seem incredibly bland musically. The intro was fine, and then the strings in the verse/chorus just SUCK.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I think the lyrics are pretty clearly populist, not jingoistic, but that doesn't mean they won't be misinterpreted, misused and misappropriated, just like "Born in the USA." Lines like the one about the cavalry not showing up and asking where the work is are pretty clear on that score. But given the unlikelihood of the song being a hit, there may not be a rush to adopt it by anyone on any political side.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:I think the lyrics are pretty clearly populist, not jingoistic, but that doesn't mean they won't be misinterpreted, misused and misappropriated, just like "Born in the USA." Lines like the one about the cavalry not showing up and asking where the work is are pretty clear on that score. But given the unlikelihood of the song being a hit, there may not be a rush to adopt it by anyone on any political side.

Once the imagery of the waving flag comes into play, I think you suck the Toby Keith crowd in right there.

Clams

Post by Clams »

rumored US tour dates....

01 March Denver, CO
03 March Phoeniz, AZ
05 March Los Angeles, CA
06 March San Jose, CA
12 March Las Vegas
19 March Atlanta, GA
20 March Raleigh, NC
26 March Boston, MA
28 March Philadelphia, PA
29 March Pittsburgh, PA
01 April Washington, DC
02 April Nassau, NY
10 April Albany, NY
12 April Detroit, MI
13 April Buffalo NY
15 April Mohegan Sun, CT
17 April Cleveland OH
19 April Chicago, IL
23 April St. Louis, MO
24 April Charlottesville, VA
10 May Hamilton, Ontario Canada]
04 May Montreal Canada

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Hopefully I'll get to see him do this one for the first time this year.

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I think the lyrics are pretty clearly populist, not jingoistic, but that doesn't mean they won't be misinterpreted, misused and misappropriated, just like "Born in the USA." Lines like the one about the cavalry not showing up and asking where the work is are pretty clear on that score. But given the unlikelihood of the song being a hit, there may not be a rush to adopt it by anyone on any political side.

Once the imagery of the waving flag comes into play, I think you suck the Toby Keith crowd in right there.

Understood. In fact I even almost wrote that. But I thought the question was "what do the lyrics actually say?" and again they seem reasonably clear to me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:rumored US tour dates....

01 March Denver, CO
03 March Phoeniz, AZ
05 March Los Angeles, CA
06 March San Jose, CA
12 March Las Vegas
19 March Atlanta, GA
20 March Raleigh, NC
26 March Boston, MA
28 March Philadelphia, PA
29 March Pittsburgh, PA
01 April Washington, DC
02 April Nassau, NY
10 April Albany, NY
12 April Detroit, MI
13 April Buffalo NY
15 April Mohegan Sun, CT
17 April Cleveland OH
19 April Chicago, IL
23 April St. Louis, MO
24 April Charlottesville, VA
10 May Hamilton, Ontario Canada]
04 May Montreal Canada

Oh good. Given the likely weather, i assume we're talking arenas, not stadiums. Gotta figure that either the 3/20-26 gap or (more likely) the 4/2-10 gap are for NYC & or NJ, right? And w/ open dates on both sides of the Boston date, I'm pretty sure they'll be adding a second show. That's been the pattern the last few times thru. I guess they're not sure what his drawing power is these days so they wait a little longer. Seems odd, at least in strongholds like boston. Does add to the hysteria though, which artists and their managements seem to like.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Understood. In fact I even almost wrote that. But I thought the question was "what do the lyrics actually say?" and again they seem reasonably clear to me.

FWIW, I think Born in the USA was more clear lyrically and harder to understand how it was turned into a patritotic anthem. I mean the opening verse is "Born down in a dead man's town/first kick I took's when I hit the ground/End up like a dog that's been beat too much/Have to spend half your life trying to cover it up"

This song is a lot "nicer" in its lyrical tone.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:here's the first single from springsteen's new record Wrecking Ball

That sucks harder than a starving crack ho giving $5 blow jobs.
Now it's dark.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Here is a tweet from Peter Ames Carlin:
Bruce fans: When he says 'We take care of our own,' he's being ironic, and bitterly so. The rest of the album will make it very clear.

This was my initial take on the song but I wasn't prepared to go quite this far without hearing the rest of the album. Like "Born in the USA" I think this song is anything but jingoistic.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

No dates within 4 hours of me? Hopefully that changes.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The first group of shows are up.

March 18 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena (on sale Feb 4)
March 19 - Greensboro, NC - Greensboro Coliseum (on sale Feb 3)
March 23 - Tampa, FL - Tampa Bay Times Forum (on sale Jan 28)
March 26 - Boston, MA - TD Garden (on sale Jan 28)
March 28 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center (on sale Jan 28)
March 29 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center (on sale Jan 28)
April 1 - Washington, DC - Verizon Center (on sale Jan 28)
April 3 - East Rutherford, NJ - Izod Center (on sale Jan 27)
April 4 - East Rutherford, NJ - Izod Center (on sale Jan 27)
April 6 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden (on sale Jan 27)
April 9 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden (on sale Jan 27)
April 12 - Detroit, MI - The Palace of Auburn Hills (on sale Jan 28)
April 13 - Buffalo, NY - First Niagara Center (on sale Jan 28)
April 16 - Albany, NY - Times Union Center (on sale Jan 28)
April 17 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena (on sale Jan 28)
April 24 - San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion (on sale Feb 3)
April 26 - Los Angeles, CA - Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena (on sale Feb 3)
April 29 - New Orleans, LA - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (on sale now)
May 2 - Newark, NJ - Prudential Center (on sale Jan 27)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Went to the brand new Springsteen exhibit at tHe National Constitutional Center in Philly tonight. It's here for 6 months and I believe it's the same exhibit that was recently at the rock and roll HOF in Cleveland. It was very good - career-spanning, comprehensive and intelligently and professionally presented. Lots of good stuff- guitars and other instruments, clothing, handwritten lyrics, posters, motorcycles and cars, several gold-plated paperweights and all sorts of other stuff. Highly recommended for anyone who's within a few hours of Philly and who's been a longtime Bruce fan (esp for those who remember the good old days).

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

on this song I am so going to have to whip out my techonological terms, just plain EW, icky, don't like nothing about it!!! Don't want to hear it as a truck commerical either!!!! Just plain dreadful...that is all ;)
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I thought that the new tune sounded great when they played it live to open up the Grammy's.

Seeing Bruce is on my bucket list. Hope I get to check that one off this year.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

streaming the new song (btw, i love this song, it's a bit hokey--i'll be there April 9th at MSG!)

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2012/03/stream-bruce-springsteens-land-of-hope-and-dreams-free-today/
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Penny Lane wrote:streaming the new song (btw, i love this song, it's a bit hokey--i'll be there April 9th at MSG!)

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2012/03/stream-bruce-springsteens-land-of-hope-and-dreams-free-today/

Land of Hope and Dreams is the one older song (at least the one he's been performing for quite some time) on the album. As I've said elsewhere i think it's the best thing on the album, which is not really a good thing. But I too will be there (in boston, not nyc).

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:streaming the new song (btw, i love this song, it's a bit hokey--i'll be there April 9th at MSG!)

Land of Hope and Dreams is the one older song (at least the one he's been performing for quite some time) on the album. As I've said elsewhere i think it's the best thing on the album, which is not really a good thing. But I too will be there (in boston, not nyc).

Why do you think it's "not really a good thing" if it's the best thing on the album? After all, some on this board think Pulaski TN is the best thing on GGB and it's an older song.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Why do you think it's "not really a good thing" if it's the best thing on the album? After all, some on this board think Pulaski TN is the best thing on GGB and it's an older song.

Because it's a new album of new songs.

If we were talking about "degrees of greatness" it wouldn't matter if the greatest were the oldest. In fact, I also recall some people expressing some concern that Cooley's best contribution to GGB was his oldest, but that was soon swamped by the recognition of "Cartoon Gold" as a high quality song. In Bruce's case, "Land of Hope and Dreams" seems to me to be noticeably better than the next track and significantly better than most. That's just my opinion of course, but if you* share it, i think you have to be concerned about Bruce and his future as a meaningful artist.

* That would be the LJ memorial general you, not you, Bill.

Clams

Post by Clams »

He used to close his shows with Land of Hopes and Dreams in 1999!!! If that's the best song in this new batch, what does that say about the current state of things? I'm sitting this tour out (I even declined when a good friend offered me a GA ticket). Bruce needs to strip down the band (no horns, no back up singers, no wife), play some clubs or theaters, and retire about 20 war horse songs from his live show.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

lock this thread!!

/clams
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Zip City wrote:lock this thread!!

/clams

someone lock CLAMS! see avatar for further explanation..

how dare you.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Clams wrote:He used to close his shows with Land of Hopes and Dreams in 1999!!! If that's the best song in this new batch, what does that say about the current state of things? I'm sitting this tour out (I even declined when a good friend offered me a GA ticket). Bruce needs to strip down the band (no horns, no back up singers, no wife), play some clubs or theaters, and retire about 20 war horse songs from his live show.

I'm used to Neil Young putting out old songs on new albums so I am not the least bit concerned about this. To wit...

He debuted Country Home and White Line with Crazy Horse in 1975. They didn't come out until the Ragged Glory album.
He debuted Razor Love in 1984. It didn't come out until the Silver & Gold album.
He debuted Ordinary People in 1988. It didn't come out until the Chrome Dreams II album.

Oh and not only was Pulaski TN an old song...so was The Weakest Man. So 2 of Cooley's 3 contributions to GGB were old songs. Why are you not hand-wringing about Cooley's "current state of things" too?

One more thing...I was shut out for this tour...is your friend's ticket still available?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Bill in CT wrote:
One more thing...I was shut out for this tour...is your friend's ticket still available?

Yes, but it will be an entire show of Kelly Clarkson covers on American Idol that same night, so I could not in good conscience hook you up with the Bruce ticket. :mrgreen:

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Clams wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:

Yes, but it will be an entire show of Kelly Clarkson covers on American Idol that same night, so I could not in good conscience hook you up with the Bruce ticket. :mrgreen:

I will find a VHS tape to record the show! It will be worth it for Bruce...warhorses or no warhorses.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I don't think it's hokey at all. I like the live versions better though. Here's the Sister Rosetta Tharpe song that Bruce modeled his song after:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:
Clams wrote:He used to close his shows with Land of Hopes and Dreams in 1999!!! If that's the best song in this new batch, what does that say about the current state of things? I'm sitting this tour out (I even declined when a good friend offered me a GA ticket). Bruce needs to strip down the band (no horns, no back up singers, no wife), play some clubs or theaters, and retire about 20 war horse songs from his live show.

I'm used to Neil Young putting out old songs on new albums so I am not the least bit concerned about this. To wit...

He debuted Country Home and White Line with Crazy Horse in 1975. They didn't come out until the Ragged Glory album.
He debuted Razor Love in 1984. It didn't come out until the Silver & Gold album.
He debuted Ordinary People in 1988. It didn't come out until the Chrome Dreams II album.

Oh and not only was Pulaski TN an old song...so was The Weakest Man. So 2 of Cooley's 3 contributions to GGB were old songs. Why are you not hand-wringing about Cooley's "current state of things" too?

Bill I don't know why you're listening to Clams when u could be listening to me driveling.

You make the point for me, sir. Neil Young put an old song on Ragged Fucking Glory (i.e. a pretty good album, lol). Mike Cooley paired Pulaski w/ Cartoon Gold (the less said about The Weakest Man the better imo). The point is that to me the comparison of "Land" to the rest of the new album indicates an absence of inspiration, quality, catchiness, you name it. It's not like there's a rule against recording or issuing old songs (look at "Blind Willie McTell" for goodness sake) but in THIS case it's an indication of a bigger problem. I don't know how else to say it so I'll stop driveling now.