bruce

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

one belt loop

Re: new bruce

Post by one belt loop »

beantownbubba wrote:I think she means w/in the continental United States. :shock:

Edit: As long as he's touring, Bruce plays the Southeast regularly including Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa and the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area.

No, I'd be happy to buy the show ticket wherever. But if CY is worried about traveling out of the Southeast, I don't think a European Bruce show is in the cards.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

one belt loop wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I think she means w/in the continental United States. :shock:

Edit: As long as he's touring, Bruce plays the Southeast regularly including Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa and the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area.

No, I'd be happy to buy the show ticket wherever. But if CY is worried about traveling out of the Southeast, I don't think a European Bruce show is in the cards.

Wow. That is really nice of you. Thank you.

I can't let you do it but I really am flattered that you would do that.

I'm not averse to seeing a Springsteen show outside the South. In fact, it might be more fun to see him in the northeast where he;s more on his stomping grounds.

I don't know how doable it would be. Mainly because I have a baby at home which makes the logistics trickier.

But I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna go see him. I'm about to start looking at the tour schedule and am gonna see which one will be the easiest to pull off.

Sunday morning, we were on the way to church and I had Springsteen in the cd player. Mrs. Younger says, "Hey, I thought you didn't really like Bruce Springsteen besides Nebraska." I said, "Me too. That's changing for soem reason." She says, "Cool. But I still like Levon Helm's Atlantic City best." Then she turned it up and started singing along with Glory Days. :D
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:Sunday morning, we were on the way to church and I had Springsteen in the cd player. Mrs. Younger says, "Hey, I thought you didn't really like Bruce Springsteen besides Nebraska." I said, "Me too. That's changing for soem reason." She says, "Cool. But I still like Levon Helm's Atlantic City best." Then she turned it up and started singing along with Glory Days. :D

8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

bovine knievel wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Sunday morning, we were on the way to church and I had Springsteen in the cd player. Mrs. Younger says, "Hey, I thought you didn't really like Bruce Springsteen besides Nebraska." I said, "Me too. That's changing for soem reason." She says, "Cool. But I still like Levon Helm's Atlantic City best." Then she turned it up and started singing along with Glory Days. :D

8-)

If' I write a movie this going to be in the last scene before the credits roll

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

What is everybody think of High Hopes the new Springteen effort?

I find it refreshing and 2x better than Wrecking Ball.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Only 1 listen in, but I'm relieved. Nothing as obviously bad as parts of the last few. Not much of a standard, I know, but I think that's where we are w/ the Boss. Also, I didn't realize that while some or all of the tracks are recently recorded, most or all are old songs so that docks it a notch right from the start (not as a listening "experience" but in answer to the question of whether the Boss still has it).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I haven't heard it yet, but "Wrecking Ball" was embarrassingly bad to my ears.

This pretty much has to be an upgrade.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

I didn't mind it being a lot of re recorded songs, The standout track was 41 Shots. I am big Bruce fan, in the past decade there is maybe 5 songs I listen to from this era of music and thats it. The Wrestler being the top track next to Terry Song. I dig the albums on first listen but I never return to them.

The best album he has put out though since 2000 IMO is The Promise double disc of songs left off of Darkness.. That was a wonderful f'n album that still gets rotations in the Biloxi home. But does Bruce still have it? Somewhere in there he does. I just really really dislike the production behind the new cuts. In my dream world Bruce would just make Nebraska over and over again..

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I read somewhere that the title track (?) is a cover by these guys?

They used to be a pretty good band. Saw them a couple of times '91-'92-ish.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

BiloxiParish wrote:I didn't mind it being a lot of re recorded songs, The standout track was 41 Shots. I am big Bruce fan, in the past decade there is maybe 5 songs I listen to from this era of music and thats it. The Wrestler being the top track next to Terry Song. I dig the albums on first listen but I never return to them.

The best album he has put out though since 2000 IMO is The Promise double disc of songs left off of Darkness.. That was a wonderful f'n album that still gets rotations in the Biloxi home. But does Bruce still have it? Somewhere in there he does. I just really really dislike the production behind the new cuts. In my dream world Bruce would just make Nebraska over and over again..

Post 2000, I think The Rising and Magic hold up well. So does Devils and Dust. But I don't reach for any of those too often at this point. I think the last two were awful. I haven't give the new one a proper listen yet, but I have high hopes that Tom Morello will breathe new life into the band. I still think that what they need to do is strip down the band (drop the violin player, the backup singers and the wife) and play some more intimate gigs. I've had enough of the stadiums, arenas, preacher schtick, song requests and sing-alongs. Strip it down to the boys in the band and play some straight up rock and roll in some theaters and clubs - '78 style.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Clams wrote:I think the last two were awful. I haven't give the new one a proper listen yet, but I have high hopes that Tom Morello will breathe new life into the band. I still think that what they need to do is strip down the band (drop the violin player, the backup singers and the wife) and play some more intimate gigs. I've had enough of the stadiums, arenas, preacher schtick, song requests and sing-alongs. Strip it down to the boys in the band and play some straight up rock and roll in some theaters and clubs - '78 style.

Your post sent me off googling "Tom Morello in E Street Band?" Now I'm up on things. (Morello is substituting for Miami Steve while he is off making a movie) Thank you.

I second the stripped down approach with no horn section, no violinist and no wifey. All in favor?
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Rocky wrote:
Clams wrote:I think the last two were awful. I haven't give the new one a proper listen yet, but I have high hopes that Tom Morello will breathe new life into the band. I still think that what they need to do is strip down the band (drop the violin player, the backup singers and the wife) and play some more intimate gigs. I've had enough of the stadiums, arenas, preacher schtick, song requests and sing-alongs. Strip it down to the boys in the band and play some straight up rock and roll in some theaters and clubs - '78 style.

Your post sent me off googling "Tom Morello in E Street Band?" Now I'm up on things. (Morello is substituting for Miami Steve while he is off making a movie) Thank you.

I second the stripped down approach with no horn section, no violinist and no wifey. All in favor?

Bruce's history seems to be that whenever he hits the artistic doldrums he goes solo. "Stripping down" in Bruce's world usually means just him and the guitar or him alone in his home studio playing all of the parts himself. Then he returns to East Street invigorated.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Clams wrote:
BiloxiParish wrote:I didn't mind it being a lot of re recorded songs, The standout track was 41 Shots. I am big Bruce fan, in the past decade there is maybe 5 songs I listen to from this era of music and thats it. The Wrestler being the top track next to Terry Song. I dig the albums on first listen but I never return to them.

Post 2000, I think The Rising and Magic hold up well. So does Devils and Dust. But I don't reach for any of those too often at this point. I think the last two were awful. I haven't give the new one a proper listen yet, but I have high hopes that Tom Morello will breathe new life into the band. I still think that what they need to do is strip down the band (drop the violin player, the backup singers and the wife) and play some more intimate gigs. I've had enough of the stadiums, arenas, preacher schtick, song requests and sing-alongs. Strip it down to the boys in the band and play some straight up rock and roll in some theaters and clubs - '78 style.

This is a perfect idea. My father in law got to see him in that a theater in New Orleans during the 70's and thats how I always imagined seeing Bruce. I wanted to love Devils and Dust but nothing clicked besides the title track which I thought was amazing.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

So what is the board's general thoughts on High Hopes?

I just gave it a once through and it seems like Bruce is trying to update his sound with the addition of Morello. I liked Down in The Hole, Hunter of Invisible, Ghost of Tom Joad and the Wall. Of all the outtakes this guy has at his disposal this seems like an odd group of songs but I guess Bruce can do what he wants.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Clams wrote:

Bruce is one of the most popular artists in the world and you want him to play theaters and clubs? Most fans wouldn't get tickets. It's hard enough to get tickets to the arena shows here in the Northeast already.
I agree with you about stadiums. I'm not a big fan of stadium shows. Arenas are perfect for Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band. He can play theaters on solo tours.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

FWIW, I saw Bruce & the boys in a theater in '77 and they had a horn section.

I like the new album and I certainly like it more than i thought i would. The question is how much will I listen to it and i suspect the answer's going to be not very much.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Bill in CT wrote:
Clams wrote:

Bruce is one of the most popular artists in the world and you want him to play theaters and clubs? Most fans wouldn't get tickets. It's hard enough to get tickets to the arena shows here in the Northeast already.
I agree with you about stadiums. I'm not a big fan of stadium shows. Arenas are perfect for Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band. He can play theaters on solo tours.

There is fine line between the things I want in life and what will actually happen...

I want Bruce to play clubs, but I in no way think it will happen.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i think bruce needs to to take a 2 year break. seems a way bit overdone in recent years.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

one belt loop wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I would like to see him live but travel would probably be involved. I don't know but I would be surprised if he ever comes down here much. He might play Atlanta once in a while I guess.

I think for me it took getting to a certain age to get where he's coming from. As you know, I became a father last year and that probably had something to do with it too.

You pick the date, I'll buy your ticket, you handle travel. I'll do it, I swear.

So I guess you two have got a date in Atlanta this weekend?
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Cole, just go. The show in Virginia Beach a couple weeks ago was hands down one of the best shows I've been to in almost forty years now of going to rock shows. Bruce is always up, but if you don't suffer nostalgia for the certain vibe that once was (and clearly you don't), and so you can hear it with fresh ears, this show is some of the most life-affirming music ever made.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

dogstar wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I would like to see him live but travel would probably be involved. I don't know but I would be surprised if he ever comes down here much. He might play Atlanta once in a while I guess.

I think for me it took getting to a certain age to get where he's coming from. As you know, I became a father last year and that probably had something to do with it too.

You pick the date, I'll buy your ticket, you handle travel. I'll do it, I swear.

I wish we had. Did you see that setlist?
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

one belt loop wrote:
dogstar wrote:
one belt loop wrote:You pick the date, I'll buy your ticket, you handle travel. I'll do it, I swear.

I wish we had. Did you see that setlist?

"I think I'm in a River kind of mood" No kidding :o
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Inspired by recent posts, I checked out some of the latest Springsteen set lists. Wow. The guy is amazing, pretty much unique. I'm starting to regret just a little bit not getting tix for the one almost local show on the current leg of his tour. Among many other notable things, it's pretty remarkable how he balances the wants of the mass of fans w/ the desires of obsessive fans. This would be admirable for any act, but for a guy doing 3 hour arena shows it's incredible. As is the fact that he's still doing 3 hour shows when he's a lot older and more active on stage than our boys who are well known for the intensity of their shows.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Sounds like a pretty good one is happening in Hershey tonight. Lots of friends are there. I of course remained true to my boycott and passed on a ticket this week. No regrets.

Okay, maybe just a tinge of regret.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Clams wrote:Sounds like a pretty good one is happening in Hershey tonight. Lots of friends are there. I of course remained true to my boycott and passed on a ticket this week. No regrets.

Okay, maybe just a tinge of regret.

I wasn't totally up for this show, but I wanted my teenage daughter to witness a Springsteen show. I'm so glad I took the plunge. He opened with Clampdown (my favorite Clash song) and he threw in Lost in the Flood and E Street Schuffle which sounded great with all the horns. Did a nice piano solo of For You. And had a nice tribute to Clarance on the big screens during Tenth Ave Freeze Out which kicked in at mention of the big man. Paid homage to Hershey with Candy's Room and to Three Mile Island with Roulette. Yes, so glad I went, it was magical evening.

Clams

Re: bruce

Post by Clams »

Did you know Roy Bittan played piano on Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart? Here's a cool interview where Roy talks about 10 great non-Bruce records that he's played on. Bowie, Lucinda, Jackson Browne, Seger, Meat Loaf, Gabriel, Stevie Nicks. And he didn't even mention Dire Straits' Making Movies.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... s-20150115

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:Did you know Roy Bittan played piano on Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart? Here's a cool interview where Roy talks about 10 great non-Bruce records that he's played on. Bowie, Lucinda, Jackson Browne, Seger, Meat Loaf, Gabriel, Stevie Nicks. And he didn't even mention Dire Straits' Making Movies.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... s-20150115

I knew Bittan is on StationtoStation (Bowie). Think what he does on the title track is essential to the song.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Darkness
Nebraska
Born in the USA
Tunnel of Love
River
BTR
Joad
DevilsDust
Magic

the rest.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Smitty wrote:Darkness
Nebraska
Born in the USA
Tunnel of Love
River
BTR
Joad
DevilsDust
Magic

the rest.

That's being awfully generous to Tom Joad.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Flea wrote:
Smitty wrote:Darkness
Nebraska
Born in the USA
Tunnel of Love
River
BTR
Joad
DevilsDust
Magic

the rest.

That's being awfully generous to Tom Joad.

I've grown to love that record - Highway 29, Youngstown, Ghost of Tom Joad, Sinaloa Cowboys and the Line are all top shelf songs. If only the production wasn't so murky and Bruce didn't mumble the lyrics, it might have been in my top 3.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.