What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I've heard several of these songs but is the first time I've heard the entire album.

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I hope your sunsets always bleed red
And your family's always well fed
And the song stuck in your head
Plays all night
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Lawn mowin music
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

it has leaked

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

lajakesdad wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:55 am

it has leaked
- DPM

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:01 pm

Argh!! But I did preorder the vinyl. Should have it by Christmas. :lol:

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

It's also streaming today at Soundcloud courtesy of ATO Records.

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer

- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer

Numero Group - Seafaring Strangers: Private Yacht
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

^^^

nice.

i recall the last song (or maybe the penultimate one) was really good.

cortez the killer

Check that expiration date, man
It's later than you think
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

AllMusic GUV III Review

by Tim Sendra

On GUV I and GUV II, Young Guv made a case for themselves as the great power pop band of the 2020s, maybe the best since the initial wave of power pop faded. Or at least as good as any of the revivalists who sprung up in the '90s. No matter where one slots them in the rankings or places them in the power pop continuum, there is no denying that the group -- or more specifically their leader Ben Cook -- know how to whip together jangling guitars, big vocal harmony, and sugar-smacked melodies into something so sweet and sticky one might find the urge to brush their teeth afterward irresistible. GUV III is more of the same and then some. Where I and II made space for the occasional soft rock and chillwave diversion, this record is ten nonstop blasts (and one ballad at the end) of chiming 12-string guitars, gently struck tambourines, power chords, stacks of vocal harmonies, melancholy moods, earnest lead vocals, and the occasional ripping guitar solo. It's pure power pop with a side serving of jangle pop that's nostalgic but never retro. Cook isn't delving into pastiche or trying on a style for fun; he's ingested it so fully that this might as well be a record from 1977 on Beserkley or 1994 on Big Deal. Like that but better, because the early power pop bands often suffered from weak production -- not an issue here -- and the revivalists of the '90s usually fell flat when it came to the songwriting part. That's not a problem here either as Cook has no trouble knocking out memorable tunes. Everything here gloms directly onto the pleasure center of the brain on first spin; some tunes are so rich sounding it's hard to believe they aren't lost gems rescued from some obscure compilation. A few, like the almost painfully pretty "Only Wanna See U Tonight" or the pointedly wistful "Couldn't Leave U If I Tried" sound like they were lifted from a sadly yet-to-be-made box set-size collection of the genre's best examples. It's a neat trick Cook pulls off, made magical by the dedication he shows to the form. When he does make a side trip, as on "She Don't Cry for Anyone," it's not only a fine example of paisley underground jangle psych by way of the Byrds -- if one closes their eyes, it could be a lost Three O'Clock classic. If GUV I and II were genius examples of genre re-creation, III is where Young Guv make their claim to be one of the all-time greats.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:24 am
AllMusic GUV III Review

by Tim Sendra

On GUV I and GUV II, Young Guv made a case for themselves as the great power pop band of the 2020s, maybe the best since the initial wave of power pop faded. Or at least as good as any of the revivalists who sprung up in the '90s. No matter where one slots them in the rankings or places them in the power pop continuum, there is no denying that the group -- or more specifically their leader Ben Cook -- know how to whip together jangling guitars, big vocal harmony, and sugar-smacked melodies into something so sweet and sticky one might find the urge to brush their teeth afterward irresistible. GUV III is more of the same and then some. Where I and II made space for the occasional soft rock and chillwave diversion, this record is ten nonstop blasts (and one ballad at the end) of chiming 12-string guitars, gently struck tambourines, power chords, stacks of vocal harmonies, melancholy moods, earnest lead vocals, and the occasional ripping guitar solo. It's pure power pop with a side serving of jangle pop that's nostalgic but never retro. Cook isn't delving into pastiche or trying on a style for fun; he's ingested it so fully that this might as well be a record from 1977 on Beserkley or 1994 on Big Deal. Like that but better, because the early power pop bands often suffered from weak production -- not an issue here -- and the revivalists of the '90s usually fell flat when it came to the songwriting part. That's not a problem here either as Cook has no trouble knocking out memorable tunes. Everything here gloms directly onto the pleasure center of the brain on first spin; some tunes are so rich sounding it's hard to believe they aren't lost gems rescued from some obscure compilation. A few, like the almost painfully pretty "Only Wanna See U Tonight" or the pointedly wistful "Couldn't Leave U If I Tried" sound like they were lifted from a sadly yet-to-be-made box set-size collection of the genre's best examples. It's a neat trick Cook pulls off, made magical by the dedication he shows to the form. When he does make a side trip, as on "She Don't Cry for Anyone," it's not only a fine example of paisley underground jangle psych by way of the Byrds -- if one closes their eyes, it could be a lost Three O'Clock classic. If GUV I and II were genius examples of genre re-creation, III is where Young Guv make their claim to be one of the all-time greats.
:!: :o :!: :o Will be checking this out for sure. "All time greats" will get my attention every time.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:02 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
AllMusic GUV III Review

by Tim Sendra

:!: :o :!: :o Will be checking this out for sure. "All time greats" will get my attention every time.
Certainly hyperbolic, but a very good power pop record/artist. Curious to hear your impressions.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:15 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Certainly hyperbolic, but a very good power pop record/artist. Curious to hear your impressions.
i'll play.

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:13 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:15 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

i'll play.
We'll have to figure out where to place it here:
- DPM