What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Shakespeare

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by Shakespeare »

grouper - dragging a dead deer up a hill

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:Per Spotify's recently played list, here's what I've been up to the past week:

David Byrne - American Utopia
Beatles - Abbey Road
Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch and Live at the Twist & Shout
DBT - English Oceans and It's Great to be Alive
Ray Wylie Hubbard - Grifter's Hymnal
Booker T Jones - Potato Hole
Jenny lewis - The Voyager
The Breeders - All Nerve
The Regrettes - Attention Seeker
Colter Wall - self titled

Good thing the site is back up, otherwise you guys would have no idea what I've been listening to, yo.
I've got my eyes on you, Clams. I see you're listening to Billy the Kid and Geronimo right now. 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel wrote:
Clams wrote:Per Spotify's recently played list, here's what I've been up to the past week:

David Byrne - American Utopia
Beatles - Abbey Road
Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch and Live at the Twist & Shout
DBT - English Oceans and It's Great to be Alive
Ray Wylie Hubbard - Grifter's Hymnal
Booker T Jones - Potato Hole
Jenny lewis - The Voyager
The Breeders - All Nerve
The Regrettes - Attention Seeker
Colter Wall - self titled

Good thing the site is back up, otherwise you guys would have no idea what I've been listening to, yo.
I've got my eyes on you, Clams. I see you're listening to Billy the Kid and Geronimo right now. 8-)
Great, now let's see if you can keep up, MF'er. NP:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

After several spins, I can say that the new Brandi Carlile and Ty Segall are excellent, while the new Lucius is only just okay.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

terrible cover aside, this is very great. it does what death magnetic (the only bad metallica album imo) set out to do in recapturing their early vibe after a...dicey mid period, but with much better songs this time. even has a bunch of those old school moments where im like fuck yeah lars sucks but he sucks well

heck of a band

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

feels completely out of time in the best way

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:Image
terrible cover aside, this is very great. it does what death magnetic (the only bad metallica album imo) set out to do in recapturing their early vibe after a...dicey mid period, but with much better songs this time. even has a bunch of those old school moments where im like fuck yeah lars sucks but he sucks well

heck of a band
Death Magnetic was a necessary step for them to get to Hardwired, so I admire them for "going there".

St. Anger is the truly awful album

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i like st anger a lot. its got a ton of flaws but theyre all fascinating to me. its a totally unique listen. i dont know how much of it is intentional and how much they stumbled upon due to the drugs, bickering, etc, but i was pleasantly surprised when i finally heard it (years later, expecting the worst) and enjoyed it

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I thought Death Magnetic was way better than St. Anger, but I don't listen to either much.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:i like st anger a lot. its got a ton of flaws but theyre all fascinating to me. its a totally unique listen. i dont know how much of it is intentional and how much they stumbled upon due to the drugs, bickering, etc, but i was pleasantly surprised when i finally heard it (years later, expecting the worst) and enjoyed it
Plastic pail sound for the snare drum + no guitar solos = MEH

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

First listen. A lot of stretching themselves here, which will take some getting used to

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

st anger was at least something no other metallica album could give me. death magnetic was solid but gave no real reason for me to come back to it often. st angers bigest flaw in my book is how lazily pasted together most of the songs are. the band was so good at that in the past but on st anger its like they didnt even bother with any sort of transitions between the riffs.

but even that is ultimately part of the charm for me. bizarre album, long live bizarre albums

np
band lost me pretty hard after hissing fauna (an album i absolutely adored when it came out) but this is much less spastic. not drastically different at its core (still solidly in their glossy funk era), but the songs are longer, simpler grooves so its more focused with fewer obnoxious moments

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:st anger was at least something no other metallica album could give me. death magnetic was solid but gave no real reason for me to come back to it often. st angers bigest flaw in my book is how lazily pasted together most of the songs are. the band was so good at that in the past but on st anger its like they didnt even bother with any sort of transitions between the riffs.
Paste is the right word. If you've ever watched the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary, you see that St. Anger is Pro-Tooled to death. I'm talking about dropping in individual notes and drum hits. It's so "not live" as to be barely real performances. The band rightly moved on from Bob Rock after that record

Clams

Post by Clams »

Earlier:

NP:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Zip City wrote:

heck of a band
Death Magnetic was a necessary step for them to get to Hardwired, so I admire them for "going there".

Agree, except (don't know about Hardwired- have not heard it yet) I'd throw in every album after ...And Justice for All as awful (yes, Black album included). Have not been into Metallica since '93 but Death Magnetic almost got me back in- really no Bob Rock cheesiness and horrible ballads on it at all- I thought that album rocked!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

First listen

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

heck of a band

Rip off album art. Everyone in the Metallica camp knows exactly who Crowbar is and is to one extent or another familiar with this record.

Also...
211poundsofpork wrote:I'd throw in every album after ...And Justice for All as awful
Had to read this 8 times but I'm pretty sure you're saying AJFA was the last good album. Agreed. Even with the crap mix it was an amazing record to pull together after the death of Cliff.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Clams

Post by Clams »

Out today

I saw nutfat at the Tyler Childers show last week and he was giving me the hard sell to see Earthless in Philly this weekend. But I'm not sure I have the patience/stamina/desire to deal with three heavy metal openers on a Sunday night. As much as I'd like to.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

you could argue the crowbar cover is just a spin on forever changes, revovler, etc, so i cant get up in arms over metallica doing their own version

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

billy cobham is such a monster drummer.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:Image

First listen. A lot of stretching themselves here, which will take some getting used to
Again. Officially out today. Some real high points, but feels like their most uneven record to date.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

probably a strange first sun ra album. still wrapping my head around it

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Shakespeare wrote:you could argue the crowbar cover is just a spin on forever changes, revovler, etc, so i cant get up in arms over metallica doing their own version

They have all the talent and resources any organization could ever dream of. Just seems lazy.
Beebs is not a ragey man

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Beebs wrote:

heck of a band

Rip off album art. Everyone in the Metallica camp knows exactly who Crowbar is and is to one extent or another familiar with this record.

Hit the nail on the head, Beebs. Totally forgot to mention the crappy production, etc. of Justice- but still it ended up being a kick-ass album: at least to my 12-year old ears. ;)

Also...
211poundsofpork wrote:I'd throw in every album after ...And Justice for All as awful
Had to read this 8 times but I'm pretty sure you're saying AJFA was the last good album. Agreed. Even with the crap mix it was an amazing record to pull together after the death of Cliff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Clams wrote:Image
Out today

I saw nutfat at the Tyler Childers show last week and he was giving me the hard sell to see Earthless in Philly this weekend. But I'm not sure I have the patience/stamina/desire to deal with three heavy metal openers on a Sunday night. As much as I'd like to.
So much for that DNA test :lol: :lol: :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:
Zip City wrote:Image

Again. Officially out today. Some real high points, but feels like their most uneven record to date.
Damn, I can't remember if I ordered this.....

Did get tickets to see them in Bend, OR at end of July, can't wait. One of my favorite bands at a sweet venue in a great town with tons of breweries!!!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:

heck of a band

Thank you, Zip. You beat me to it. St. Anger is truly awful. I used to love Metallica years ago. Haven't cared about them very much for a long time. I listened to Hardwired a little and thought it was pretty good. St. Anger is some of the worst crap I have ever heard.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.