What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

scotto

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by scotto »

scotto

Post by scotto »

"Alright This Time Just the Girls," Sympathy For the Record Industry collection of rock de la femme

roland

Post by roland »

Apple Music playlist- Best of 1986. I was 11. Radio ruled. The Final Countdown is up now.

scotto

Post by scotto »

scotto

Post by scotto »

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Richard Russell - Everything is Recorded
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

This is really great. Their best work in awhile. It takes the dark corners they started exploring on "All A Man Should Do", grinds away all the production sheen, mostly ditches the horns, and replaces with lots of grinding guitars, and hammering piano. It's sparse and ragged, and a bit of a turn for Ben Nichols from a songwriting stand point. There are very few "little girls", and a lot of the songs seem to be centered around Civil War soldiers, thieves, and general miscreants. "Long Way Back Home" feels like something that could have come from Patterson.

It's early in my time with this album, but it's my favorite of 2018 thus far. If you're a Lucero fan that's been losing interest over the past couple albums, do yourself a favor and put this on. Loud, with head phones.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

2 songs in, and all I can think is this reminds me of listening to "Celebration, Florida" for the first time.

It doesn't seem as intentionally tuneless and pretentious, but it's every bit as much of a departure from their previous work.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:Image

2 songs in, and all I can think is this reminds me of listening to "Celebration, Florida" for the first time.

It doesn't seem as intentionally tuneless and pretentious, but it's every bit as much of a departure from their previous work.
The clips I've heard are extremely disappointing. They've almost completely ditched their sound.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:

The clips I've heard are extremely disappointing. They've almost completely ditched their sound.
Yeah, this is completely unrecognizable. They've just decided to be an electro-pop band for hipster kids.

I'm sure my wife will like it.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Yeah, this is completely unrecognizable. They've just decided to be an electro-pop band for hipster kids.

It sucks. Those electro-pop bands are a dime a dozen. A band that taps The Band/The Grateful Dead/etc. is more unique, yet they went with the former and ditched the latter. Now they'll just get washed away in a sea of Bleachers, Portugal, The Man and Cage the Elephant

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

ive come back to this in a big way lately. safe bet to land high on my EOY list now that the noveltys worn off

it hit me that some bits here, especially on four out of five, sound like a ~2000 dr dre beat, but like...smoothly coked out. really a strange brew but turners charisma sells it like its nothing

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

A gift from a friend who I hooked up with some high-quality Hendrix vinyl to tape. Possibly the greatest singer alive, but she's not touring much, if at all, these days. I guess once you don't have a whole six and a half octaves, it must be a drag to perform like a mere mortal. Still wish she'd do it, though. It wasn't just those awesome pipes--and they were indeed awesome! And probably still are, if you're anyone but her--that make her great. It's her musicality. So tasteful.

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Shakespeare wrote:Image
just an absolute classic.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:

It sucks. Those electro-pop bands are a dime a dozen. A band that taps The Band/The Grateful Dead/etc. is more unique, yet they went with the former and ditched the latter. Now they'll just get washed away in a sea of Bleachers, Portugal, The Man and Cage the Elephant
Bingo.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote: I'm sure my wife will like it.
:lol:
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Again

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

This is really great. Their best work in awhile. It takes the dark corners they started exploring on "All A Man Should Do", grinds away all the production sheen, mostly ditches the horns, and replaces with lots of grinding guitars, and hammering piano. It's sparse and ragged, and a bit of a turn for Ben Nichols from a songwriting stand point. There are very few "little girls", and a lot of the songs seem to be centered around Civil War soldiers, thieves, and general miscreants. "Long Way Back Home" feels like something that could have come from Patterson.

It's early in my time with this album, but it's my favorite of 2018 thus far. If you're a Lucero fan that's been losing interest over the past couple albums, do yourself a favor and put this on. Loud, with head phones.
This
Always go to the show

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

http://www.wbrh.org/player/wbrh/

wbrh 90.3

baton rouge hs student run radio station.

rhythm review

check it.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Steven R Smith is the most unheralded musician of our times. pretty much everything he does is really fucking good.

https://worstward.bandcamp.com/album/helm

John A Arkansawyer

This one is a little scratchier but still beautiful. I think of the records I got stolen, the Flora/Airto stuff that was hard to find, like the George Duke BASF LPs--I had all those except the one with Zappa and without Flora or Airto, and despite my being a huge Zappa fan, if there's one for me to be without, that's the one--is some of the keenest loss. I can get another Revolver at the store, but where will I find all those?

Moving on. This one is a little more US mainstream and a little less Brazil to my ears, but I can't say why exactly. Both those things are there in spades. There's just nothing like her (or Airto, but that's a different day's obsession).

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

ye

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

another great 1 from the vaults. bruce decides to conquer europe & make them see the light.

John A Arkansawyer

A big favorite back in the day. I'll hit this one again soon when I'm in the right mood:

I sure wish I still had the 415 EP the single came from. I'm not sorry to have this, but I'd trade these nine songs for the four on it. The CD comes with the EP tacked on. Quite ahistorical. It should be the other way around, but I get why putting the better, longer version of the single three songs before the cut version wouldn't flow. And really, I'd rather have a single CD with the EP and the first LP, also on 415, which I've never heard. But this is what I've got. Not bad, not their best:

Both these got one side and out for now. I'm not sure what's next.

John A Arkansawyer

scotto wrote:Image
I just realized! That's one of those shirts Vanessa Jean Speckman makes! I have several of her little art objects. Never have gotten a shirt or a jacket, though. I might have to change that.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

not saying anything new here but holy cow is she incredible

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams

Post by Clams »

Lately:

Kurt Vile