What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

scotto

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by scotto »

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Clams wrote:Image
pretty cool that her PO lets her have work furlough to record/tour :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got to chat with her last year in a tiny club. She's the sweetest thing and so polite. Got another small (but larger this time) show this coming Saturday
Always go to the show

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Jonicont wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Clams wrote:Image
pretty cool that her PO lets her have work furlough to record/tour :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got to chat with her last year in a tiny club. She's the sweetest thing and so polite. Got another small (but larger this time) show this coming Saturday
she's coming to the brewery here in July
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:Image
I absolutely love that record. The live video from a couple of years later is incredible as well.
I had kind of completely forgot about it. Ben Harper was my favorite artist my senior year of high school/freshman year of college. Saw him several times in that span, and he always put on a hell of a show. The Innocent Criminals are a great band to boot.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i loved ben harper when i was in high school too (circa both sides of the gun) but havent really kept up with him since and never saw him play

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Shakespeare wrote:i loved ben harper when i was in high school too (circa both sides of the gun) but havent really kept up with him since and never saw him play

I was about halfway through college when that came out. Probably the last album of his I bought. There was a lot on there that I just didn't hit with, and I was finding music left and right at that time and pretty much obsessed with really digging into the 70's as well as grunge.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

BSOTG ended up being the one i played most, particularly the electric disc. i realize it was a bit of an outlier in his catalog (at least at the time, maybe hes done more like it since) though. i would say his earlier stuff was some of my first exposure to rootsier sounds. his slide work was excellent

actually i remember liking the relentless7 album quite a bit

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

wasnt sure what to expect out of this, like with any solo release, but it doesnt seem much removed from the heartless bastards albums at all. not a bad thing, just curious

good to be alone is wonderful

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Shakespeare wrote:BSOTG ended up being the one i played most, particularly the electric disc. i realize it was a bit of an outlier in his catalog (at least at the time, maybe hes done more like it since) though. i would say his earlier stuff was some of my first exposure to rootsier sounds. his slide work was excellent

actually i remember liking the relentless7 album quite a bit
I actually think the tunes and musicianship were pretty consistent with previous stuff, I just don't remember a lot of the songs grabbing me.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

scotto

Post by scotto »

whatwouldcooleydo?

the riff on this sounds real familiar

scotto

Post by scotto »

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

This album will definitely be in my top 10 of 2018. The track "One Take Pusher" is one of the filthiest, low-down dirty jams I've heard in a while. It's fantastic.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

allisonsdc wrote:Image
This album will definitely be in my top 10 of 2018. The track "One Take Pusher" is one of the filthiest, low-down dirty jams I've heard in a while. It's fantastic.
Story checks out. Strong Captain Beefheart vibe. Love it.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

scotto wrote:Image
That album could have been so much better with different production.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:
Agreed. I really enjoyed some of those songs live but I've never warmed to the record.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Agreed. I really enjoyed some of those songs live but I've never warmed to the record.
The first time I saw the title track live, with the guitar solo, my jaw dropped. All these tunes were much, much warmer in person.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

friend of mine who has been lukewarm at best about ryan texted me last night saying he was really into this so i felt i should revisit it. i thought it was terrible on release (both as its own thing and as versions of songs i already adored) but figured maybe id at least better hear it as its own thing after some time.

its even worse than i remembered. style is a decent jam, nice bit heavier, but obviously its a jam because how can you mess that riff up. the rest ranges from nice but why wouldnt i listen to the original instead to you asshole, why/how did you hear that song that way. his treatments could have worked if he sang anything with even the smallest percentage of the personality of the originals, thats the biggest shame

that said im still a bit peeved that she didnt return the favor and at least cover one of his songs

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
Smitty wrote:
ramonz wrote:
That's awesome - it even sounds like a song that would fit perfectly on a DT record.
If you ain't familiar with the Danny & Dusty record you're missing out.
It's Dan Stuart from Green on Red and Steve Wynn from the Dream Syndicate backed up by members of GoR and the Long Ryders. Killer record that trumps anything Deer Rick's ever done ;)
Duly noted. You do know how to throw out an intriguing hook, smitty :)
It's also got the best cover of Knocking on Heavens Door this side of Warren Zevon, which is the only other cover of that song that I can stomach.

This is cool as shit though:
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Shakespeare wrote:Image
friend of mine who has been lukewarm at best about ryan texted me last night saying he was really into this so i felt i should revisit it. i thought it was terrible on release (both as its own thing and as versions of songs i already adored) but figured maybe id at least better hear it as its own thing after some time.

its even worse than i remembered. style is a decent jam, nice bit heavier, but obviously its a jam because how can you mess that riff up. the rest ranges from nice but why wouldnt i listen to the original instead to you asshole, why/how did you hear that song that way. his treatments could have worked if he sang anything with even the smallest percentage of the personality of the originals, thats the biggest shame

that said im still a bit peeved that she didnt return the favor and at least cover one of his songs
We are in complete opposite camps on this. This album helped me gain respect for T Swift. It showed that these are great songs, they just needed to be given an enjoyable musical setting to shine, instead of cheap generic pop sheen. This version of Wildest Dreams is phenomenal.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Iowan wrote:

We are in complete opposite camps on this. This album helped me gain respect for T Swift. It showed that these are great songs, they just needed to be given an enjoyable musical setting to shine, instead of cheap generic pop sheen. This version of Wildest Dreams is phenomenal.
youre probably not alone and if it had that affect on anyone im glad. shes a brilliant writer. if this were just a new ryan adams album id probably be very on board with it, so maybe i cant fairly call it horrible.

if youre interested, theres a really good version of wildest dreams (one of her best songs imo) from some grammy event on youtube. its just taylor singing and playing electric guitar and shes by no means a technical wizard but theres a rawness to it that makes me want her career to tank so she can make albums like that

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

np
don cherry - complete communion
not new to me but it got caught in a wave of jazz albums I downloaded in college and never bought, so im rediscovering it now that i have a copy. truly excellent, manages to work as both an accessible gateway to avant garde jazz and jazz in general.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

marian anderson - spirituals
this stuff is unbelievable. the recordings are pretty bad quality but her voice hangs in the air beautifully. the crackle and the fact that i cant make out many words makes it all so ghostly

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Shakespeare wrote:
Iowan wrote:

youre probably not alone and if it had that affect on anyone im glad. shes a brilliant writer. if this were just a new ryan adams album id probably be very on board with it, so maybe i cant fairly call it horrible.

if youre interested, theres a really good version of wildest dreams (one of her best songs imo) from some grammy event on youtube. its just taylor singing and playing electric guitar and shes by no means a technical wizard but theres a rawness to it that makes me want her career to tank so she can make albums like that
I'll check it out. I could get down with that

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Shakespeare wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I went and found the clip you were referring to.

It was really good.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man