What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

Horse Jumper of Love Horse Jumper of Love
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer

It's gonna be bedlam when we get 'em
- DPM

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

In ways, my favorite Springsteen album:

Let the outside air in

cortez the killer

Chloë and the Next 20th Century Father John Misty
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer

- DPM

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

The new Mountain Goats album - Bleed out. Several times today.

The first track makes me want to jump up and down.

Like an idiot…
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 pm
What did you think of this one? I was a bit disappointed.

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:44 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Mr. Disappointment. ;)

Toast/Neil Young & Crazy Horse (2001/2022)

After a rough decade in the 80s, Neil was on fire in the 90s and that creative spurt was spilling over into the early part of the 21st century. Originally recorded in 2001 at Toast Studio in San Francisco, this album would have been sandwiched in between two excellent albums, Silver & Gold (2000) and Greendale (2003). However, the ever-mercurial Young decided the album should be shit-canned and instead hooked up with Booker T & the MGs to record and release the slicker, more polished Are You Passionate? in 2002. Four of the seven songs from Toast were brought over to the Are You Passionate? record, with three of them re-recorded with Booker T & the MGs and given new titles. Quit became Quit (Don’t Say You Love Me), How Ya Doin’? was renamed Mr. Disappointment and Boom Boom Boom came to be known as She’s a Healer. The fourth carryover, Goin’ Home, was pretty much left intact as it was recorded in 2001 with Crazy Horse. So, why did Neil scrap an already-recorded album with Crazy Horse, take more than half the songs and cut a different album with Booker T and the MGs? Straight from the man himself comes the answer – “Toast is an album that stands on its own in my collection. Unlike any other, Toast was so sad that I couldn’t put it out. I just skipped it and went on to do another album in its place. I couldn’t handle it at that time. 2001. John Coltrane, one of my heroes, made some music at ‘Toast’ studio back in the day. It may have been called ‘Coast’ then, but maybe not. The name changed a few times back and forth. It was on Mission in SF. The back door opened onto an alley. It was so stuffy in there that we left the door open until one day we saw rats coming in and out. After that, we just went outside for a smoke. The music of Toast is about a relationship. There is a time in many relationships that go bad, a time long before the breakup, where it dawns on one of the people, maybe both, that it’s over. This was that time.” The relationship referenced was that between Neil and his wife at the time, Pegi Young. Their marriage survived that rough patch, but fell apart thirteen years later, with the couple’s divorce in 2014. Sadly, Pegi passed away five years after the dissolution of her thirty-six-year marriage to Neil. After twenty-one years of mystery, speculation and being heavily-teased, Toast finally sees a proper release in 2022. Collecting dust on the shelf for years, it was slated for a 2008 release with Neil providing the following information in a 2008 interview with Rolling Stone, “Toast is done. It's an amazing listening experience. It was recorded in 5.1. It's a mind-blowing record, and I don't think it's a commercial record, but it's great rock and roll, very moody, kind of jazzy. It was recorded in the same place where Coltrane was recorded, so there's a lot of heavy stuff in there. All of the live ambience for everything was all recorded, so the whole thing has got a massive sound about it. I want to have a premier of it that's in a large art gallery with speakers in all four corners of the room, and huge speakers and really spend some time on the acoustics of the room, so you could have two or three hundred people in there that are in the middle of the sweet spot listening to this thing all around. So you came to a real listening experience that you wouldn't be able to get in any other location than right there.” As we now know, that never happened and Toast continued to sit on the sidelines as Neil focused on several other projects, albums and archival releases. I was so excited to finally hear this great, lost Crazy Horse record from twenty-plus years ago that I was actually a little disappointed when I first listened. However, once I readjusted my expectations and gave it a few more listens, I was able to appreciate the album for what it is. Two of the songs that appeared on AYP?, Quit/Quit (Don’t Say That You Love Me) and How Ya Doin’?/Mr. Disappointment are much better as raw, blues songs than glossed-up, soul arrangements. Goin’ Home is essentially the same great song here as it is on AYP? And Boom Boom Boom is more primitive than its twin brother, She’s a Healer, which is an AYP? highlight for me. The three previously-unreleased tracks, Standing in the Light of Love, Timberline and Gateway of Love are all strong tracks, with the first two being unmistakably Crazy Horse songs. I wouldn’t go as far to say that this is a lost classic record. But it is a very good Crazy Horse album and I am glad that Neil finally decided to deliver it to his fans.

1. Quit – Smoky, late-night blues vibe on the opener. As I mention above, I prefer this version to the one that was recorded for Are You Passionate? The Horse settles in a solid groove and the background vocals courtesy of Neil’s sister, Astrid Young, and wife, Pegi Young, serve the song well. Shades of his 1988 album, This Note’s for You. “Don’t say you love me…” (6)
2. Standing in the Light of Love – Greasy neanderthal rocker in the vein of songs like Piece of Crap and Dirty Old Man. Ralph Molina bashing away on the kit, Poncho adding lumbering guitar stabs and Billy Talbot keeping it steady. Neil refers to this song “sort of like a Deep Purple hit.” “I don’t want to get personal or have you put me on the spot.” (8)
3. Goin’ Home – All-timer that I reviewed in the Are You Passionate? write-up a few years back. I detect a bit of an echoey effect to Neil’s vocals on this version and the song is faded out just as it approaches the eight-minute mark. I much prefer the abrupt cut-out the song features on the longer AYP? version. “It’s hard to get blood from a stone, but I’ll give it a try.” (10)
4. Timberline – Side two announces itself with a rough country-rock stomper that wouldn’t sound out of place on 1990’s Ragged Glory. Of the three tracks here that were never released, this is the one Rusties are hearing for the first time. The other two, Standing in the Light and Gateway of Love made appearances on Neil’s 2001 European Tour, and circulated on bootlegs of the shows. Neil sings about a logger who loses his job and, consequently, loses his faith in God. Another track that is faded out and would benefit from another minute or two with Neil stretching out on Old Black “Money with my madness, I’ll blow your head off.” (8)
5. Gateway of Love – Sprawling, Latin-flavored jam that surpasses the ten-minute mark. Ditching their trademark stomp, this is as nimble-sounding as The Horse has ever been. Neil’s voice sounds fantastic here and we are treated to some great Horse harmonizing as well. “But I’m just a drifting soul with nothing much to say.” (8)
6. How Ya Doin’? – The title here and what it was called on AYP?, Mr. Disappointment, are awkward. The arrangement and singing on this version are much better than the Mr. Disappointment one. “But I got faith in something, I’ll never give up the fight.” (6)
7. Boom Boom Boom – I imagine the title is a nod to John Lee Hooker’s Boom Boom. At 13:05, one of the longest songs in a catalog that is filled with them. Appeared on AYP? as the closing track, She’s a Healer, which is one of my favorites from that record. While both versions are certainly bluesey, this one is much rawer and stretched out. Billy and Ralph really dial it back tempo-wise and Neil’s guitar slithers in and out. Tom Bray adds some great trumpet to the proceedings. I’m still getting acquainted with this version, so I give a slight edge to She’s a Healer right now. “Let the good times roll.” (8)

Overall Score – 7.5
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:31 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:44 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Mr. Disappointment. ;)

Toast/Neil Young & Crazy Horse (2001/2022)

After a rough decade in the 80s, Neil was on fire in the 90s and that creative spurt was spilling over into the early part of the 21st century. Originally recorded in 2001 at Toast Studio in San Francisco, this album would have been sandwiched in between two excellent albums, Silver & Gold (2000) and Greendale (2003). However, the ever-mercurial Young decided the album should be shit-canned and instead hooked up with Booker T & the MGs to record and release the slicker, more polished Are You Passionate? in 2002. Four of the seven songs from Toast were brought over to the Are You Passionate? record, with three of them re-recorded with Booker T & the MGs and given new titles. Quit became Quit (Don’t Say You Love Me), How Ya Doin’? was renamed Mr. Disappointment and Boom Boom Boom came to be known as She’s a Healer. The fourth carryover, Goin’ Home, was pretty much left intact as it was recorded in 2001 with Crazy Horse. So, why did Neil scrap an already-recorded album with Crazy Horse, take more than half the songs and cut a different album with Booker T and the MGs? Straight from the man himself comes the answer – “Toast is an album that stands on its own in my collection. Unlike any other, Toast was so sad that I couldn’t put it out. I just skipped it and went on to do another album in its place. I couldn’t handle it at that time. 2001. John Coltrane, one of my heroes, made some music at ‘Toast’ studio back in the day. It may have been called ‘Coast’ then, but maybe not. The name changed a few times back and forth. It was on Mission in SF. The back door opened onto an alley. It was so stuffy in there that we left the door open until one day we saw rats coming in and out. After that, we just went outside for a smoke. The music of Toast is about a relationship. There is a time in many relationships that go bad, a time long before the breakup, where it dawns on one of the people, maybe both, that it’s over. This was that time.” The relationship referenced was that between Neil and his wife at the time, Pegi Young. Their marriage survived that rough patch, but fell apart thirteen years later, with the couple’s divorce in 2014. Sadly, Pegi passed away five years after the dissolution of her thirty-six-year marriage to Neil. After twenty-one years of mystery, speculation and being heavily-teased, Toast finally sees a proper release in 2022. Collecting dust on the shelf for years, it was slated for a 2008 release with Neil providing the following information in a 2008 interview with Rolling Stone, “Toast is done. It's an amazing listening experience. It was recorded in 5.1. It's a mind-blowing record, and I don't think it's a commercial record, but it's great rock and roll, very moody, kind of jazzy. It was recorded in the same place where Coltrane was recorded, so there's a lot of heavy stuff in there. All of the live ambience for everything was all recorded, so the whole thing has got a massive sound about it. I want to have a premier of it that's in a large art gallery with speakers in all four corners of the room, and huge speakers and really spend some time on the acoustics of the room, so you could have two or three hundred people in there that are in the middle of the sweet spot listening to this thing all around. So you came to a real listening experience that you wouldn't be able to get in any other location than right there.” As we now know, that never happened and Toast continued to sit on the sidelines as Neil focused on several other projects, albums and archival releases. I was so excited to finally hear this great, lost Crazy Horse record from twenty-plus years ago that I was actually a little disappointed when I first listened. However, once I readjusted my expectations and gave it a few more listens, I was able to appreciate the album for what it is. Two of the songs that appeared on AYP?, Quit/Quit (Don’t Say That You Love Me) and How Ya Doin’?/Mr. Disappointment are much better as raw, blues songs than glossed-up, soul arrangements. Goin’ Home is essentially the same great song here as it is on AYP? And Boom Boom Boom is more primitive than its twin brother, She’s a Healer, which is an AYP? highlight for me. The three previously-unreleased tracks, Standing in the Light of Love, Timberline and Gateway of Love are all strong tracks, with the first two being unmistakably Crazy Horse songs. I wouldn’t go as far to say that this is a lost classic record. But it is a very good Crazy Horse album and I am glad that Neil finally decided to deliver it to his fans.

1. Quit – Smoky, late-night blues vibe on the opener. As I mention above, I prefer this version to the one that was recorded for Are You Passionate? The Horse settles in a solid groove and the background vocals courtesy of Neil’s sister, Astrid Young, and wife, Pegi Young, serve the song well. Shades of his 1988 album, This Note’s for You. “Don’t say you love me…” (6)
2. Standing in the Light of Love – Greasy neanderthal rocker in the vein of songs like Piece of Crap and Dirty Old Man. Ralph Molina bashing away on the kit, Poncho adding lumbering guitar stabs and Billy Talbot keeping it steady. Neil refers to this song “sort of like a Deep Purple hit.” “I don’t want to get personal or have you put me on the spot.” (8)
3. Goin’ Home – All-timer that I reviewed in the Are You Passionate? write-up a few years back. I detect a bit of an echoey effect to Neil’s vocals on this version and the song is faded out just as it approaches the eight-minute mark. I much prefer the abrupt cut-out the song features on the longer AYP? version. “It’s hard to get blood from a stone, but I’ll give it a try.” (10)
4. Timberline – Side two announces itself with a rough country-rock stomper that wouldn’t sound out of place on 1990’s Ragged Glory. Of the three tracks here that were never released, this is the one Rusties are hearing for the first time. The other two, Standing in the Light and Gateway of Love made appearances on Neil’s 2001 European Tour, and circulated on bootlegs of the shows. Neil sings about a logger who loses his job and, consequently, loses his faith in God. Another track that is faded out and would benefit from another minute or two with Neil stretching out on Old Black “Money with my madness, I’ll blow your head off.” (8)
5. Gateway of Love – Sprawling, Latin-flavored jam that surpasses the ten-minute mark. Ditching their trademark stomp, this is as nimble-sounding as The Horse has ever been. Neil’s voice sounds fantastic here and we are treated to some great Horse harmonizing as well. “But I’m just a drifting soul with nothing much to say.” (8)
6. How Ya Doin’? – The title here and what it was called on AYP?, Mr. Disappointment, are awkward. The arrangement and singing on this version are much better than the Mr. Disappointment one. “But I got faith in something, I’ll never give up the fight.” (6)
7. Boom Boom Boom – I imagine the title is a nod to John Lee Hooker’s Boom Boom. At 13:05, one of the longest songs in a catalog that is filled with them. Appeared on AYP? as the closing track, She’s a Healer, which is one of my favorites from that record. While both versions are certainly bluesey, this one is much rawer and stretched out. Billy and Ralph really dial it back tempo-wise and Neil’s guitar slithers in and out. Tom Bray adds some great trumpet to the proceedings. I’m still getting acquainted with this version, so I give a slight edge to She’s a Healer right now. “Let the good times roll.” (8)

Overall Score – 7.5
I do like the new live record plenty!!!!! I'm just jaded. I was in "the biz" for over 25 years until the internet killed it. So, I've seen & heard a real lot. My hearing will bear testament to that!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

cortez the killer

- DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Pancho & Lefty just turned 50 years old, and keeps getting better with age.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/50-y ... y-is-born/
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

dime in the gutter

everly brothers

dime in the gutter

feelies