What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by cortez the killer »

This one has grabbed me by the throat. So good. One quibble - it's too short.
After meeting at a memorial for a mutual friend, Tony Molina (Ovens) and Sarah Rose Janko (Dawn Riding) started spending nights into mornings playing guitar and singing their hearts out to an audience of empty wine bottles in the East Oakland warehouse where Sarah lived. Both fans of each other's respective musical projects, they bonded over a shared love of The Byrds and Bill Fox and leaned into their friendship as a much needed support in a time of dizzying grief. The days were marked in trips to Jackson’s Liquor store, the same spot Tony frequented while recording with his band Ovens a decade earlier, at a studio in the same neighborhood. The nights drifted by. The songs kept coming. They decided they wanted to record all they’d been pouring their hearts into and The Lost Days was born.

Over the course of 2021, the two kept writing & sharing songs. Inspired by the solo work of Bill Fox, The Byrds, Dear Nora and Guided by Voices, The Lost Days started recording what was to be their first full-length LP, In The Store, at friend Nick Bassett’s basement studio on his Yamaha MT8X 8 track. The album is an exercise in true DIY lo-fi analog home recorded tradition, with songs that are a unique blend of folk and pop, crafted by two songwriters with a love of Beatles melody and ‘65 era Rolling Stones instrumentation.

The comfort and familiarity of friendship and the intimacy of home recording allowed the two to craft traditional and yet deeply personal pop and folk songs. Writing that addresses alcoholism, depression and complex relationships are lovingly brought to life on the ten tracks (in thirteen minutes) that make up the album. Characterized by 60’s folk rock arrangements, with jangly 12 string guitars, bright tambourine, swells of Hammond organ, and Byrd’s style harmonies, the songs are a groovier take on Molina’s signature pop-gem writing style, pulled together with Vampire On Titus era GBV recording methods.

“It was really about an obsession with the first three Bill Fox LPs, and finding a newfound freedom in home recording with Sarah that set the concept in motion. The Lost Days was a collaboration in which we were tapping into our love of traditional songwriting. We felt that recording to cassette at our friend’s house was the best way to capture the songs,” Tony says.

The songs that make up “In The Store '' represent a unique collaboration between two songwriters that express true-to-life realities over pop hooks, Byrds-style harmonies, and the songs leave one feeling hopeful or at least able to commiserate in the company of friends.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

3milelake wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:26 pm
Too early to call, only 2 tracks on early release (like them both). Isn’t fully out until Sept. 15
cortez the killer wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:56 pm
3milelake wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:18 pm
Saw this a little while ago. My music budget has been out of control. How is it? Worth plunking down for?
Just pulled the trigger on this. Look forward to delving into it when it arrives next week.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:14 pm

After meeting at a memorial for a mutual friend, Tony Molina (Ovens) and Sarah Rose Janko (Dawn Riding) started spending nights into mornings playing guitar and singing their hearts out to an audience of empty wine bottles in the East Oakland warehouse where Sarah lived. Both fans of each other's respective musical projects, they bonded over a shared love of The Byrds and Bill Fox and leaned into their friendship as a much needed support in a time of dizzying grief. The days were marked in trips to Jackson’s Liquor store, the same spot Tony frequented while recording with his band Ovens a decade earlier, at a studio in the same neighborhood. The nights drifted by. The songs kept coming. They decided they wanted to record all they’d been pouring their hearts into and The Lost Days was born.

Over the course of 2021, the two kept writing & sharing songs. Inspired by the solo work of Bill Fox, The Byrds, Dear Nora and Guided by Voices, The Lost Days started recording what was to be their first full-length LP, In The Store, at friend Nick Bassett’s basement studio on his Yamaha MT8X 8 track. The album is an exercise in true DIY lo-fi analog home recorded tradition, with songs that are a unique blend of folk and pop, crafted by two songwriters with a love of Beatles melody and ‘65 era Rolling Stones instrumentation.

The comfort and familiarity of friendship and the intimacy of home recording allowed the two to craft traditional and yet deeply personal pop and folk songs. Writing that addresses alcoholism, depression and complex relationships are lovingly brought to life on the ten tracks (in thirteen minutes) that make up the album. Characterized by 60’s folk rock arrangements, with jangly 12 string guitars, bright tambourine, swells of Hammond organ, and Byrd’s style harmonies, the songs are a groovier take on Molina’s signature pop-gem writing style, pulled together with Vampire On Titus era GBV recording methods.

“It was really about an obsession with the first three Bill Fox LPs, and finding a newfound freedom in home recording with Sarah that set the concept in motion. The Lost Days was a collaboration in which we were tapping into our love of traditional songwriting. We felt that recording to cassette at our friend’s house was the best way to capture the songs,” Tony says.

The songs that make up “In The Store '' represent a unique collaboration between two songwriters that express true-to-life realities over pop hooks, Byrds-style harmonies, and the songs leave one feeling hopeful or at least able to commiserate in the company of friends.
Great 1st listen vibes. I’ve bumped into Tony Molina solo stuff fairly often via Spotify and always enjoy the songs, but have never done a deep dive. Not familiar with Sarah Rose Janko. I see a 2021 EP called Lost Demos too. Hat tip!

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:29 pm
3milelake wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:26 pm
Too early to call, only 2 tracks on early release (like them both). Isn’t fully out until Sept. 15
cortez the killer wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:56 pm

Saw this a little while ago. My music budget has been out of control. How is it? Worth plunking down for?
Just pulled the trigger on this. Look forward to delving into it when it arrives next week.
Forgot about this. Working through it now. Feels like a lot of quality to mine so far. Standing within Pollard’s orbit maybe didn’t help Tobin’s solo appeal, but he is an undeniable force on his own.

Clams

Post by Clams »

If you don't run you rust

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

cortez the killer

3milelake wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:28 am
cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:14 pm

Great 1st listen vibes. I’ve bumped into Tony Molina solo stuff fairly often via Spotify and always enjoy the songs, but have never done a deep dive. Not familiar with Sarah Rose Janko. I see a 2021 EP called Lost Demos too. Hat tip!
This collaboration has led me down the Bill Fox rabbit hole. Former frontman for The Mice (head over to the power pop thread) who abruptly disbanded that outfit in the late 80s and embarked on a solo career a decade later. I snagged his 1st two albums Shelter from the Smoke & Transit Byzantium. Yet another artist to add to the too-expansive list of talented musicians who never got their proper due.

I like Tony Molina a lot. Have a few of his records.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Good 'ol boy Neil
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

jr29

Post by jr29 »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:08 pm
Good 'ol boy Neil
Hell yeah ! This era was my first exposure to Neil. He played with the Harvesters on Austin City Limits and my dad recorded it onto VHS. He watched it all the time. I was probably 5 and I fucking loved it. It was the lineup that had Tim Drummond on bass and Spooner on keys.
When that album came out a few years ago I listened to it a lot.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

New Tré Burt and Earl Sweatshirt albums are also excellent.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

brettac1 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:31 pm
#megamullet

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Margo Price - Strays II
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

tinnitus photography

holy shit this sounds SO MUCH FUCKING BETTER than the original... tons of details i never knew existed. my favorite Chills record and i am really happy that Martin has finally put out a restored version, as he hinted at doing so decades ago.

tinnitus photography

Genesis... first Trespass and now Nursery Cryme.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:54 pm
This beauty just arrived, absolutely can’t wait to dig in

Excellent article in today’s Washington Post about the man behind this amazing collection. Fascinating story on numerous levels

https://wapo.st/3rGTiWM
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

cortez the killer

- DPM

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Family vacation to Colorado this past week=all things Stephen Stills

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

This album is firmly in my top three for 2023 at this point, along with Weathervanes and the self-titled Zach Bryan album. What an absolute banger.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

“Cousin” is sinking its claws. I now think it’s quite good
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »