What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by RolanK »

Iowan wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:52 am
That Tim remix is exceptional. I’m probably going to replace all songs from that album with those versions on my various playlists
Fully agree! Also loving the “alternate versions”, Left of the dial for instance. The sloppier the better.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:26 am
Iowan wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:52 am
That Tim remix is exceptional. I’m probably going to replace all songs from that album with those versions on my various playlists
Fully agree! Also loving the “alternate versions”, Left of the dial for instance. The sloppier the better.
I sure do miss the Replacements & wish someone could get Paul out of his basement. I saw them several times but got lucky on the reunion tour. Seattle was eiher the first or second show before Paul burnt out on the tour. He had a tent onstage so he could go smoke between songs. Pretty funny.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

This beauty just arrived, absolutely can’t wait to dig in

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Ben Nichols’ most recent synth wave project with his daughter. It came out back in the spring on Bandcamp, but is now streaming everywhere as far as I can tell. I can’t say it shares a ton in common with his Lucero work, but there’s definitely parallels with some songs on Among the Ghosts and When You Found me.

Have also been wearing out the new Margo Cilker and Will Johnson records. Alan Palomo (of Neon Indian) put out an awesome solo record last week as well. Hoping to dive into the new Lydia Loveless and Brent Cobb albums tomorrow.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:39 pm

Ben Nichols’ most recent synth wave project with his daughter. It came out back in the spring on Bandcamp, but is now streaming everywhere as far as I can tell. I can’t say it shares a ton in common with his Lucero work, but there’s definitely parallels with some songs on Among the Ghosts and When You Found me.

Have also been wearing out the new Margo Cilker and Will Johnson records. Alan Palomo (of Neon Indian) put out an awesome solo record last week as well. Hoping to dive into the new Lydia Loveless and Brent Cobb albums tomorrow.
I love the new Brent Cobb.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Zach Bryan - "Boys of Faith" EP
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I’ve been listening through a lot of the later Wilco albums as we lead up to tomorrow’s release of “Cousin”. A lot of underrated material in these records, especially on Wilco (The Album) and The Whole Love. Schmilco gets too understated, and Ode to Joy remains a complete slog.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:06 am
I’ve been listening through a lot of the later Wilco albums as we lead up to tomorrow’s release of “Cousin”. A lot of underrated material in these records, especially on Wilco (The Album) and The Whole Love. Schmilco gets too understated, and Ode to Joy remains a complete slog.
I've been a Wilco fan for a real long time, actually since the beginning but hardcore since Summerteeth. They had a stellar 3 (4 if you count Kicking Television) album run with Summer, Yankee & Ghost. The slog for me is Cruel Country. From what I'm reading, I'm really looking forward to hearing Cousins.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:06 am
i have every Wilco record except Ode To Joy. that one stinks.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I’ve been listening through a lot of the later Wilco albums as we lead up to tomorrow’s release of “Cousin”. A lot of underrated material in these records, especially on Wilco (The Album) and The Whole Love. Schmilco gets too understated, and Ode to Joy remains a complete slog.
Everything post Whole Love is drying paint to my ears. Cousin seems more of the same.

I’ve accepted that it’s unlikely I’ll ever really connect with new music from Jeff Tweedy again. Doesn’t diminish my love for what he did from 1989-2009ish

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:00 am
Zip City wrote:I’ve been listening through a lot of the later Wilco albums as we lead up to tomorrow’s release of “Cousin”. A lot of underrated material in these records, especially on Wilco (The Album) and The Whole Love. Schmilco gets too understated, and Ode to Joy remains a complete slog.
Everything post Whole Love is drying paint to my ears. Cousin seems more of the same.

I’ve accepted that it’s unlikely I’ll ever really connect with new music from Jeff Tweedy again. Doesn’t diminish my love for what he did from 1989-2009ish
I really like his solo records & the one he did with son.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

New record is pretty good. Starts and ends strong, but that’s just after one listen. Certainly sounds like a course correction after the last few.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I remember having a positive impression of Warm, but never found myself going back to it. Maybe have to dust that one off.

Clams

Post by Clams »

3 discs - The original record remastered, all songs in demo form (basically just Jason and his guitar), and all the songs live with the 400U.

Listening to the demos now and it's pretty fuckin good.

I also love how they substituted 2023 Jason on the cover where 2013 Jason used to be.

Looking fwd to getting into the new Jerry Joseph record later today.
If you don't run you rust

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:48 am
cortez the killer wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I remember having a positive impression of Warm, but never found myself going back to it. Maybe have to dust that one off.
I really like Love Is the King from a few years ago.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

On a sonic level, Cousin feels much more like a Wilco record than anything since Star Wars. Not sure the songs are exciting, but it feels like an attempt to recapture the YHF days in terms of layers of sound, etc.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Listening to the new album from Jerry Joseph - Baby, You’re The Man Who Would Be King - out today. It’s great!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

RolanK wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:29 pm
Listening to the new album from Jerry Joseph - Baby, You’re The Man Who Would Be King - out today. It’s great!
I spent some time with it today as well and I agree with you

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Also enjoying the new Lydia Loveless and Jerry Joseph. Jason Isbell’s reissue of Southeastern is fantastic and well worth a listen (though the remastered disc isn’t terribly different than the original). Hoping to dive into the new Wilco and Animal Collective this weekend as well (is it 2004 again???).
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I had basically given up on Tweedy and Wilco until his WARM album a few years ago. I really like some of those tunes a lot.
Unfortunately, I haven't given a Tweedy or Wilco release a proper listen since.

cortez the killer

- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:49 pm
Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac
Followed up with Faithless Street, and is still can’t get into it. Almanac feels like a superior record in every way.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Third time through Cousins and it’s starting to show it’s layers. I think the record could benefit from a more animated Tweedy, but he is what he is these days.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:27 pm
that cover... :lol:

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:11 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:27 pm
that cover... :lol:
I'm highly representative
A throwback
To the carnivore days
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:09 pm
Third time through Cousins and it’s starting to show it’s layers. I think the record could benefit from a more animated Tweedy, but he is what he is these days.
I've listened to it twice now. I think this is one that is going to be one that rewards with each listen. Should be interesting live, too. After Ode to Joy & Cruel Country it feels like a breath of fresh air.