What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ol' Zach seems to have gotten himself in a bit of trouble this week. Apparently thought he was the King of Oklahoma. Nice recovery though w/ what I thought was a solid and actually believable apology. Fame is hard, even for the most grounded. Still don't see what all the excitement's about. Will have to try to listen again but I'm not highly motivated. Kind of shocked that he's headlining at least a few dates w/ Isbell in a supporting role :shock:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:17 pm
Ol' Zach seems to have gotten himself in a bit of trouble this week. Apparently thought he was the King of Oklahoma. Nice recovery though w/ what I thought was a solid and actually believable apology. Fame is hard, even for the most grounded. Still don't see what all the excitement's about. Will have to try to listen again but I'm not highly motivated. Kind of shocked that he's headlining at least a few dates w/ Isbell in a supporting role :shock:
If Zach’s story is accurate, it sounds like a cop on a typical cop power trip. But when you have the number one song in the country and a fair contingent of “Back the Blue” types in your fanbase, I suppose apologizing is the savvy PR move.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:13 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
If Zach’s story is accurate, it sounds like a cop on a typical cop power trip. But when you have the number one song in the country and a fair contingent of “Back the Blue” types in your fanbase, I suppose apologizing is the savvy PR move.
Even as someone who has been a big fan for a few years (hat tip to Grady Smith's awesome YouTube channel), it's absolutely astonishing how utterly *massive* he continues to be. Like, how many actual stadium acts even exist these days? Number one album, number one song, etc. Just incredible how fast it happened. I don't use TikTok at all but I understand a massive part is from there, but even still it's truly meteoric.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:06 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Even as someone who has been a big fan for a few years (hat tip to Grady Smith's awesome YouTube channel), it's absolutely astonishing how utterly *massive* he continues to be. Like, how many actual stadium acts even exist these days? Number one album, number one song, etc. Just incredible how fast it happened. I don't use TikTok at all but I understand a massive part is from there, but even still it's truly meteoric.
Exactly. "Astonishing" is definitely the word that comes to mind. And one of the fairly rare truly applicable cases of "meteoric."

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Rolling Stones - "Angry" - Only just over 2 million listens on spotify in 4 days. On one listen it's ok but nothing special except I guess new music from the Stones is inherently special on some level.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Olivia Rodrigo - Guts- First listen. So far so good. No obvious smash at the level of "Driver's License" but I'm ok w/ that. Obvious influence is obvious: The Waitresses and Alanis Morrissette among others.
beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:20 am
Olivia Rodrigo - Sour First listen. As good as advertised... But I can't help thinking she's less singer songwriter than pop punk goddess. Different producer? Anyway, a female pop punk band might have real success covering a lot of these songs.
^^^ I'm gonna say this guy nailed it. This follow-up is much more adult. Much more rock and a much more punkish overtly angry feel. I've seen a few references to riot girrrl and they're not misplaced.

"Vampire" has had about 339 Million listens with 3 other songs in 8 figures on spotify. Compare and contrast to the old guys mentioned above (the album was released the same day as the Stones's single but I don't know if any of the songs were available earlier).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Speaking of the Alanis influence, Olivia actually sings "you found a new version of me..." in one of the new songs. Seems a bit awkward but maybe that's just me.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
According to the affidavit, Mr. Bryan was “clearly aggravated and argumentative,” and the singer asked to be released from his handcuffs, saying: “If you don’t, this is going to be a mistake, sir. I promise.”

Above is from this article. Definitely sounds like someone was indeed on a power trip

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/08/arts ... =url-share

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

“Standing at the ready, with a dance or two still left in me. Wager that it won’t appear that I forgot who brought me”

This album is what I wanted it to be.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^ Nice. About time somebody classed up the joint. Scotto's presence is sorely missed for this and other reasons.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I only saw some of the dash cam footage of the incident, but he certainly seemed out of line from what I did see. The officers seemed pretty chill.

As for his music, I'm trying and I really like a couple tunes but there's something I'm missing as well.

"don't sing with a fake British accent" keeps coming to mind.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

jr29 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:51 pm

Robert Pollard would like to have a word with you.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

jr29

Post by jr29 »

cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:17 pm
jr29 wrote:

I'll let him talk to Jason and his dad first.

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

jr29 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:35 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:17 pm
jr29 wrote:

I'll let him talk to Jason and his dad first.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

RIP. He was a brilliant, hilarious, and moving writer

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I haven’t heard a note of Zach Bryan, but I have an inherent distrust of country artists who have the mass appeal to fill stadiums. Your average country fan has shit for music taste these days.

#1 song and meteoric rise puts you in the company of “Try that in a Small Town” and “Rich Men North of Richmond,” which, frankly, is not company I’d like to keep
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:27 pm
Olivia Rodrigo - Guts- First listen. So far so good. No obvious smash at the level of "Driver's License" but I'm ok w/ that. Obvious influence is obvious: The Waitresses and Alanis Morrissette among others.
beantownbubba wrote:
Olivia Rodrigo - Sour First listen. As good as advertised... But I can't help thinking she's less singer songwriter than pop punk goddess. Different producer? Anyway, a female pop punk band might have real success covering a lot of these songs.
^^^ I'm gonna say this guy nailed it. This follow-up is much more adult. Much more rock and a much more punkish overtly angry feel. I've seen a few references to riot girrrl and they're not misplaced.

"Vampire" has had about 339 Million listens with 3 other songs in 8 figures on spotify. Compare and contrast to the old guys mentioned above (the album was released the same day as the Stones's single but I don't know if any of the songs were available earlier).
Christgau gives the new album an A and waxes effusively about Ms. Rodrigo's talents.

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:05 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:27 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

Christgau gives the new album an A and waxes effusively about Ms. Rodrigo's talents.
Couldn’t disagree with Robbie more.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I haven’t heard a note of Zach Bryan, but I have an inherent distrust of country artists who have the mass appeal to fill stadiums. Your average country fan has shit for music taste these days.

#1 song and meteoric rise puts you in the company of “Try that in a Small Town” and “Rich Men North of Richmond,” which, frankly, is not company I’d like to keep
There’s no obvious exploitable angle to Zach Bryan, and it’s in a totally different realm. I first heard him in 2019. His ascent is quick and surprising, but it’s definitely organic.

My initial impression was that he was an Isbell wannabe who sounded the same on every song, and I blew him off. His songwriting evolved a lot and I started to get the appeal. I’m no super fan, but I’ve liked his last few releases.

His audience isn’t really the traditional “country radio” audience either. He started getting play on country radio, and has added those folks to the ranks, but that’s really not who his songs seemed aimed at. And there’s no RWNJ angle to any of it.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:50 am
Couldn’t disagree with Robbie more.
Possibly the first time (at least since the schoolyard) that he's been referred to as "Robbie." LOL

Do you mean that you disagree vehemently that it's not an A or that you think the album is actually terrible? If the former, that's the way things go, but if the latter I'm pretty surprised because I thought you liked her first one and this one seems better to me. I'm not sure it's an A but I'd be quibbling at the margins, not making important distinctions.