What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Zip City wrote:Accent seems forced.
agree 100%
Yikes. It will end up in my top 5 of 2017. I think she’s fucking amazing.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Accent seems forced.
agree 100%
Yikes. It will end up in my top 5 of 2017. I think she’s fucking amazing.
The people here who like it don’t surprise me at all, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Clams surprised me, though, as he’s a big Lucinda and Lydia fan.

I’m finding that I’m just not fond of female country rockers with thick accents. It’s weird but so it goes
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
The people here who like it don’t surprise me at all, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Clams surprised me, though, as he’s a big Lucinda and Lydia fan.

I’m finding that I’m just not fond of female country rockers with thick accents. It’s weird but so it goes
I will admit to a huge soft spot for female singer/songwriters with a good song and/or a little twang. As far as Lily Hiatt goes, I saw a lot of folks talking her up here and on FB recently (most notably one Patterson Hood) and I've tried three or four times and nothing about that record has grabbed me - not the lyrics, not the music, not the voice. TC, I'd be interested to hear what it is that you like so much.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Son Colt - Notes of Blue

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I will admit to a huge soft spot for female singer/songwriters with a good song and/or a little twang. As far as Lily Hiatt goes, I saw a lot of folks talking her up here and on FB recently (most notably one Patterson Hood) and I've tried three or four times and nothing about that record has grabbed me - not the lyrics, not the music, not the voice. TC, I'd be interested to hear what it is that you like so much.
I've actually been a fan for a few years since her first record Let Down was released. Our old friend Corey (olwiggum) is a friend of hers and was talking about her on here. I liked both that record and it's follow up Royal Blue but it wasn't until this one that I really though she found her voice 100%. I was exposed to most of the songs on the new album back in the spring when she opened for Elizabeth Cook in Jackson. The songs were so raw, so personal that you almost felt like a voyeur just listening to them.

My favorite record is Purple Rain
It came out the same year that I got my name
Your mother loved driving to the B-52s
Why am I always asking about you?

’ve prayed for something to give
How can this heartache still live?
I’m not trying to whine, I’m just fucking spent
I don’t think you’ll ever know how deep that I went

I studied the crooks, I studied the kings
Studied the lines on the butterfly wings

After the record came out I probably listened to it a dozen times before finally moving on to something else. i think a lot of female artists couch their feelings in their songs using allegory more than confession, hiding in shadows more than standing in the light and shouting. Lilly Hiatt says fuck that and says what she means. Her stuff is honest and heart wrenching and she has the plaintive voice to pull it off. That's all I got, we all like what we like.

Clams

Post by Clams »

So she set the hook with the live show. I can respect that.

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:Image
one of the dudes' voice reminds me a lot of Lee Ranaldo

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Clams wrote:(most notably one Patterson Hood)
I love ya'll and benefit from your fine tastes, but this phenomenon is the dog whistle for almost every OMG album of the YEAR! I see around these parts. See also: Todd Snider could release an album of fart sounds and this place would lose its mind.

That said, I like the album but wish I could like it more. She seems like a real cool human and I hope she can keep doing her thing.
Beebs is not a ragey man

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I'm really digging this album.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:
Clams wrote:(most notably one Patterson Hood)
I love ya'll and benefit from your fine tastes, but this phenomenon is the dog whistle for almost every OMG album of the YEAR! I see around these parts. See also: Todd Snider could release an album of fart sounds and this place would lose its mind.

That said, I like the album but wish I could like it more. She seems like a real cool human and I hope she can keep doing her thing.
Most stuff I really dig I find out afterwards that Patterson digs it. That’s been the case for Lilly Hiatt and Hurray for the Riff Raff this year among others. That said I think we have similar tastes so I always check out what he recommends.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don’t think War on Drugs would have gotten a sniff in these parts if Patterson hadn’t gushed about them, but that’s just my opinion

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I don’t think War on Drugs would have gotten a sniff in these parts if Patterson hadn’t gushed about them, but that’s just my opinion
I actually saw them in 2009 and bought Wagon Wheel Blues but forgot about them until I read a piece in Rolling Stone about Lost in the Dream. The publicity for that record was intense. Patterson sure didn't hurt in terms if introducing them to Heathens though.

I will say this, Centro-Matic is a top ten band for me if all time and it was Patterson's 2006 year end list that got me into them. In honor of that...

NP:

Centro-Matic- Love You Just the Same

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Beebs wrote:I love ya'll and benefit from your fine tastes, but this phenomenon is the dog whistle for almost every OMG album of the YEAR! I see around these parts. See also: Todd Snider could release an album of fart sounds and this place would lose its mind.

I'll hold out for Smitty's bootleg compilations of Snider's farts before loosing my mind.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I've actually been a fan for a few years since her first record Let Down was released. Our old friend Corey (olwiggum) is a friend of hers and was talking about her on here. I liked both that record and it's follow up Royal Blue but it wasn't until this one that I really though she found her voice 100%. I was exposed to most of the songs on the new album back in the spring when she opened for Elizabeth Cook in Jackson. The songs were so raw, so personal that you almost felt like a voyeur just listening to them.

My favorite record is Purple Rain
It came out the same year that I got my name
Your mother loved driving to the B-52s
Why am I always asking about you?

’ve prayed for something to give
How can this heartache still live?
I’m not trying to whine, I’m just fucking spent
I don’t think you’ll ever know how deep that I went

I studied the crooks, I studied the kings
Studied the lines on the butterfly wings

After the record came out I probably listened to it a dozen times before finally moving on to something else. i think a lot of female artists couch their feelings in their songs using allegory more than confession, hiding in shadows more than standing in the light and shouting. Lilly Hiatt says fuck that and says what she means. Her stuff is honest and heart wrenching and she has the plaintive voice to pull it off. That's all I got, we all like what we like.
Ironically, I just posted in the "Live" thread , but studio Lilly Hiatt is nice. I learned on Saturday that live Lilly Hiatt is a completely different animal. One of the best unexpected supporting acts sets that I have ever seen last Saturday night. My crew and I, who there to see Old 97's, smoked cigarettes on the rooftop of the club for long periods of time for their set and talked about how great the Lilly Hiatt set was. And Rhett and the boys were energetic and great. They just weren't Lilly Hiatt and her band.

DBT always have the balls to bring great openers for Homecoming and other tours. I love that about them and DBT always finds a way to take it over the top. If they theoretically had Lilly Hiatt and her band open one night of Homecoming, they may get pushed to add a little extra mustard on that bratwurst.
You guys will love her.
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

bovine knievel wrote:
Beebs wrote:I love ya'll and benefit from your fine tastes, but this phenomenon is the dog whistle for almost every OMG album of the YEAR! I see around these parts. See also: Todd Snider could release an album of fart sounds and this place would lose its mind.

I'll hold out for Smitty's bootleg compilations of Snider's farts before loosing my mind.
A bootleg is good and all, but unless one is captured in a jar, I'm out.

NP:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

those heartless algorithms at Spotify can really deliver at times.

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:I'll hold out for Smitty's bootleg compilations of Snider's farts before loosing my mind.
A bootleg is good and all, but unless one is captured in a jar, I'm out.
almost what you requested

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

bovine knievel wrote:Image
Me too. What a loss.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

cortez the killer

one of the dudes' voice reminds me a lot of Lee Ranaldo
Yeah, it does. Lots of different 80s/90s Indie Rock influences swirling around their sound. Excellent band.
- DPM

cortez the killer

I wasn't really paying attention to or enamored with The Killers or this album when it came out on the early 00s. Being removed from the scene, the hype, the pretension, etc., I can confidently say this is a really strong album. Of course my recent foray/obsession with post-punk & 80s alternative/underground rock (whatever the fuck you wanna call it) has recalibrated how I hear music. Some might say The Killers are too derivative, but I'm perfectly fine with it.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I wasn't really paying attention to or enamored with The Killers or this album when it came out on the early 00s. Being removed from the scene, the hype, the pretension, etc., I can confidently say this is a really strong album. Of course my recent foray/obsession with post-punk & 80s alternative/underground rock (whatever the fuck you wanna call it) has recalibrated how I hear music. Some might say The Killers are too derivative, but I'm perfectly fine with it.
That was big my junior year of college.

All These Things Ive Done is pretty close to being a perfect song. Somebody Told Me was one of those rare tunes that got cranked at every house party that was actually good.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Nothing wrong with anything derivative as long as you dig whatever it's derivative to.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Local radio is playing the piss out of the new Killers album, and I hate to say that it’s pretty awful. They’ve gone the way of so many other bands, dropping their rock sound in favor of electronic drum loops and glossy production work