What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

RolanK wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
RolanK wrote:Image
tinnitus bait
Starting to get into these guys. Have been aware of Howe Gelb for ages, but never gotten around to check out any of his projects. Really liking the sound of this.
really dig Howe Gelb in any form. Only have a few Giant Sand albums, so I'm not expert on his entire output, but really like what I know. One of my favorite music moments ever was seeing him (and also Tim Easton) open for Wilco at the Fillmore in July 2000. It was just Howe, a guitar, and a jambox. The loop-crazy version of Cisco Kid he did that night is seared into my brain.

Then just a few years ago he played unannounced at the free stage at a Bridge School Benefit. When he took the stage I started screaming, "holy shit, that's fuckin' Howe Gelb!" and all the other Rusties there, except for one or two, looked at me like I had just gone full Simple Jack, which you should never do :lol: :lol: :lol:

lately been listening to a lot of Friends of Dean Martinez, and Giant Sand. I sense a pattern ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Zip City wrote:Jeff Tweedy's "new" solo album is out, though it's just acoustic solo versions of Wilco songs. I don't really see the point, as none of them are improvements on the originals
The concept does certainly seem like a placeholder, doesn't it? That said, he's more than earned the benefit of the doubt in my book
I sampled through it. It's....fine. The songs are good because they were good fifteeen years ago.

I guess he plans on releasing several of these
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
Zip City wrote:Jeff Tweedy's "new" solo album is out, though it's just acoustic solo versions of Wilco songs. I don't really see the point, as none of them are improvements on the originals
The concept does certainly seem like a placeholder, doesn't it? That said, he's more than earned the benefit of the doubt in my book
I sampled through it. It's....fine. The songs are good because they were good fifteeen years ago.

I guess he plans on releasing several of these
And I'm certain I'll buy each and every one :lol:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Howe Gelb, Steve Wynn (+the rest of Dream Syndicate), Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Corin Tucker (Sleater-Kinney), John Paul Jones, pluss a number of local names are playing a festival in the town of Vadsø, Norway, (up by the polar circe) this weekend. My Instagram feed is flowing over of clips from this event (mostly by the artists themselves). I try the best I can to ignore it to avoid dying of envy, as I am not there.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

whatwouldcooleydo?

RolanK wrote:Howe Gelb, Steve Wynn (+the rest of Dream Syndicate), Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Corin Tucker (Sleater-Kinney), John Paul Jones, pluss a number of local names are playing a festival in the town of Vadsø, Norway, (up by the polar circe) this weekend. My Instagram feed is flowing over of clips from this event (mostly by the artists themselves). I try the best I can to ignore it to avoid dying of envy, as I am not there.
Vadsø gets all the shows :lol: :lol: :lol:

that sounds awesome, I want to go to there

whatwouldcooleydo?

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

RolanK wrote:Howe Gelb, Steve Wynn (+the rest of Dream Syndicate), Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Corin Tucker (Sleater-Kinney), John Paul Jones, pluss a number of local names are playing a festival in the town of Vadsø, Norway, (up by the polar circe) this weekend. My Instagram feed is flowing over of clips from this event (mostly by the artists themselves). I try the best I can to ignore it to avoid dying of envy, as I am not there.

So do I. Think its something of a recurring event. A lot of the same artists were there last year I believe, although at wintertime.

NP
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

whatwouldcooleydo?

RolanK wrote:

So do I. Think its something of a recurring event. A lot of the same artists were there last year I believe, although at wintertime.

NP
Nice! If it wasn't only 1 PM here (and me still drinking tea on an empty stomach) I would suggest we each do a shot of tequila simultaneously :lol:

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

whatwouldcooleydo?

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Earlier: Black Crowes 6/24/06
Now: Larry Campbell & Teresa Williams- s/t

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

I'll go to my grave never understanding why Joe Henry isn't a huge star, he's the total package. Pearls before swine :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

That sounds awesome! Too bad you couldn't make it.
- DPM

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

out on the weekend/el paso is sweet

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Jonathan lives here in Chico, I see him all the time around town

cortez the killer

It's a Gelb takeover.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:It's a Gelb takeover.
and he isn't even produced by Dave Cobb ;)

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer

Yo, dime! Get some!
- DPM

cortez the killer

Very cool. However, once a Masshole, always a Masshole.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:
Very cool. However, once a Masshole, always a Masshole.
you say that like it's a good thing ;)

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

RolanK wrote:

In 2015, it was billed as Ice Station Vadsø, this one is called Sun Station Vadsø. I haven't been following on Insta but the majority of videos surfacing that I'm aware of are coming from Chris Hartstonge, who is one of the folks behind The R.E.M. Timeline website and FB page. The night before last, R.E.M.'s "Texarkana" was performed live for the first time, ever. In a twist on the original, Mike Mills plays guitar and Scott McCaughey plays bass. This clip as well as several others from this weekend are available on Chris' YouTube channel. If not already mentioned here, be on the lookout for the debut album from Filthy Friends (Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Kurt Bloch, Corin Tucker and Bill Rieflin) in August. They will also be doing a few dates in late August/early September but without Bill Rieflin who will be on the road with King Crimson. Filling in for him will be Linda Pitmon (The Baseball Project, Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3). Also of potential interest is a new band called The No Ones that counts Buck and McCaughey among their members. They have also been part of this year's Vadsø lineup. More here.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

ImageImage
Last edited by dee dee on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Charlie Rich - Pictures & Paintings
Charlie Pickett & the Eggs - Bar Band Americanus
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill/Prairie Wind
Allman Brothers - Dreams box set
Album Leaf - in a safe place
Terry Reid - Seed of Memory
& the last Amanda Shires record.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
In 2015, it was billed as Ice Station Vadsø, this one is called Sun Station Vadsø. I haven't been following on Insta but the majority of videos surfacing that I'm aware of are coming from Chris Hartstonge, who is one of the folks behind The R.E.M. Timeline website and FB page. The night before last, R.E.M.'s "Texarkana" was performed live for the first time, ever. In a twist on the original, Mike Mills plays guitar and Scott McCaughey plays bass. This clip as well as several others from this weekend are available on Chris' YouTube channel. If not already mentioned here, be on the lookout for the debut album from Filthy Friends (Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Kurt Bloch, Corin Tucker and Bill Rieflin) in August. They will also be doing a few dates in late August/early September but without Bill Rieflin who will be on the road with King Crimson. Filling in for him will be Linda Pitmon (The Baseball Project, Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3). Also of potential interest is a new band called The No Ones that counts Buck and McCaughey among their members. They have also been part of this year's Vadsø lineup. More here.
I think it was actually you who made me aware of this back in 2015, Kudzu. For some reason the press over here is remarkably quiet about this, so this years event also almost passed me until it was over. That being said, traveling from the Oslo area to Vadsø is about as expensive and cumbersome as going overseas, so I probably would not have made it anyway.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

cortez the killer

- DPM

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Endless Boogie - Long Island
‘Record-collection rock’ tends to carry certain negative connotations: perfunctory, mannered, among others. But Endless Boogie, a bunch of grizzled buzzards from New York, reclaim the zing in two ways. Paul Major, the Endless Boogie founder member who sings like an awesome cross between Captain Beefheart and Popeye, has bought and sold mega-rare psychedelic LPs for over three decades. ‘Long Island’, 79 minutes of utterly sublime thud-rock jams, is soaked in this knowledge. Aptly named, aye, but Endless Boogie justify indulgence via countless glorious shut-eye air guitar moments that nod to the Groundhogs, Canned Heat, the Stones at their tuffest… and a shelf of vinyl worth more than your life.
http://www.nme.com/reviews/album/review ... gtphA2b.99