What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:Image
Again
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

disc 3

I've yet to hear a version of this song by anyone that was less than awesome. Such a great song, takes big vocal balls to even try it

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

RMD

Post by RMD »

Widespread Panic- Porch Songs Vol. 16- Keswick Theater, Glenside Pa. 9/15/95

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Leon Russell- Leon Live....jesus is it great
Tom Russell on shuffle

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

disc 3

I've yet to hear a version of this song by anyone that was less than awesome. Such a great song, takes big vocal balls to even try it

It's not out there online anywhere to my knowledge but John Howie, Jr. and the Rosewood Bluff do a flatout amazing, soul stirring version of this. I've never quite been able to put my finger on what "country-soul" is supposed to sound like. The first time I heard them do this live, I knew exactly what it was. You may remember John Howie, Jr. from Two Dollar Pistols. They also cut a EP of duets with Tift Merritt sometime in the early 00's. For whatever it's worth, the first time I heard him do this a few months ago, I immediately purchased an Etta James record (my first). It didn't quite hit me like I was hoping on first listen but I was probably just not in the proper mood for it at the time. Gonna give it another spin soon.

Now Playing

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Kudzu Guillotine

whatwouldcooleydo?

first listen

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

disc 3

here's another version I like..... a lot

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Joni Mitchell-Miles Of Aisles
Np: Rick Danko-S/T

Kudzu Guillotine

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

whatwouldcooleydo?

dime in the gutter wrote:Image

did you lose a bet?

Are you being punished for some infraction?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

did you lose a bet?

That album kicks ass.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Iowan wrote:

did you lose a bet?

That album kicks ass.
Classic rock radio may have made us never want to hear More Than a Feeling again but Tom Scholtz and Boston kick all kinds of ass.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Nice read from Tim Sommer. For whatever it's worth, I've never been a big fan of Boston but I do own their first two albums, they were handed out to you in the 70's along with Frampton Comes Alive! When I subscribed to SiriusXM, I went a number of years without listening to hardly any commercial radio. After roughly an eight year stretch of this, the first time I heard "Foreplay > Long Time" on the local Classic Rock station, I cranked that shit up like I did when the album was new. I'm sure the next time it came on I switched stations but for that brief moment, it was like hearing it for the first time again. In a BBC TV special that aired a few years ago called When Albums Ruled the World, Scholz said that first Boston album was engineered to sound pristine coming out of car stereos and over FM radio. He nailed it.

Boston’s Debut Album Isn’t a Guilty Pleasure—It’s One of the Best Records Ever

Tom Scholz and Gary Pihl of Boston.
Photo: Bob Summers

whatwouldcooleydo?

you guys should always remember--just cause I run my mouth don't mean I got somethin' to say :lol: :lol: :lol:

--or--

take my advice, don't listen to me

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Nice read from Tim Sommer. For whatever it's worth, I've never been a big fan of Boston but I do own their first two albums, they were handed out to you in the 70's along with Frampton Comes Alive! When I subscribed to SiriusXM, I went a number of years without listening to hardly any commercial radio. After roughly an eight year stretch of this, the first time I heard "Foreplay > Long Time" on the local Classic Rock station, I cranked that shit up like I did when the album was new. I'm sure the next time it came on I switched stations but for that brief moment, it was like hearing it for the first time again. In a BBC TV special that aired a few years ago called When Albums Ruled the World, Scholz said that first Boston album was engineered to sound pristine coming out of car stereos and over FM radio. He nailed it.

I had to stop reading after this:

This extraordinary, deeply spatial Byrds-in-Space-meets-Deep Purple playing side two of Abbey Road quality is consistent throughout every single moment of Boston

:roll:

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Nice read from Tim Sommer. For whatever it's worth, I've never been a big fan of Boston but I do own their first two albums, they were handed out to you in the 70's along with Frampton Comes Alive! When I subscribed to SiriusXM, I went a number of years without listening to hardly any commercial radio. After roughly an eight year stretch of this, the first time I heard "Foreplay > Long Time" on the local Classic Rock station, I cranked that shit up like I did when the album was new. I'm sure the next time it came on I switched stations but for that brief moment, it was like hearing it for the first time again. In a BBC TV special that aired a few years ago called When Albums Ruled the World, Scholz said that first Boston album was engineered to sound pristine coming out of car stereos and over FM radio. He nailed it.

This extraordinary, deeply spatial Byrds-in-Space-meets-Deep Purple playing side two of Abbey Road quality is consistent throughout every single moment of Boston

I'm capable of reading articles like this even if I don't agree. He's also written some outstanding pieces on Hootie and R.E.M.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

did you lose a bet?

i easily get my groove on to this record. tame impala prequel.

Kudzu Guillotine

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Long car journey at the weekend gave me the chance to listen to these

Disc one with the early stuff is espacially good.

Currently got this in the car

Whyte Horses - Pop or Not. Rather good 60's influenced Indie Pop
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm trying to remember if I've ever heard of Tim Sommer before. I think not, which seems a little odd since he appears to have been around for a long time and is VERY LOUD. I'm pretty sure I've never read anything as full of purple prose as this article about Boston. It's more purple than The Color Purple. The line you quote, WWCD, is to my mind merely middle of the pack on the Sommer scale :lol: But I'll say this, he had me smiling.

I'll also say this. This guy doesn't have opinions. He has OPINIONS. And they are thoughtful and informed by apparently deep knowledge of the music and the music industry and heart on his sleeve passion for the music even if they are expressed somewhat, ummmm, flamboyantly. I was motivated to read another half dozen of his pieces immediately and they're all similar in style though none are quite so purple as the Boston piece. In short, even though some of the material is hard to wade through, he makes it worth it. His 2 pieces on the problems w/ the RnR HoF somehow manage to trod well plowed turf while also being well more knowledgeable and thoughtful than is typical (and he doesn't even mention Warren Zevon once!). He has the fanaticisim of the purist true believer which is somewhat quaint in this post-modern, post-truth world, but which I find to be admirable. I'd believe him if he told me something is worth listening to even if I might not be confident that I'll agree. Thanks, KG for the eye opener.

And fwiw, as others have said, I think the real problem w/ Boston is its ubiquitous overexposure combined w/ its influence on way too many way too inferior bands. Like "Stairway to Heaven," if one can manage to just listen to the music w/out all the aural and cultural baggage it more or less justifies its popularity.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

jr29

Post by jr29 »