What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

TW_2.0

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by TW_2.0 »

MMJ, At Dawn
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld - Never Were the Way She Was

Totally fantastic album of violin and double-reed saxophone duets.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Barely_Oakely wrote:New Charlie Parr:
I've always loved Charlie's work, he's a phenomenal picker and a very gifted songwriter. He's known for his prowess at creating a raw and rough sound by finger picking a resonator guitar or a 12 string to great effect with little to no accompaniment. This album, however is the first time he has recorded with a backing band. I've got to say, the presence of a few additional instruments doesn't muddy his individual efforts, it amplifies him. Subtle accompaniment adds life to this album that, at times, his other efforts could be accused of lacking. I've already written about my love for the track "Over the Red Cedar" - to me the standout track of the album - but every track on this album (after a few listens) stands among his best work.
I love this place
Always go to the show

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Perfect listening for a foggy, wet morning in the Upper Midwest.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'll Puke If This Jukebox Plays John Cougar One More Time - Best of B Rox

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Iowan wrote:Image

Perfect listening for a foggy, wet morning in the Upper Midwest.
I'll drink to that. x2
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

MMJ's catalog in order:

Tennessee Fire --> At Dawn --> It Still Moves --> Z --> Evil Urges (hopefully while I'm at lunch) --> Curcuital --> The Waterfall
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Time for a shift of gears:
It's probably not for everyone's taste, but it's just a fun live album.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Petty on shuffle

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Again.

I've been watching that Cobain doc on HBO. I haven't gone out of my way to listen to Nirvana in years. I don't know why. I was completely obsessed with Nirvana/Cobain in 6th/7th grade and maybe I've always assumed there was a certain immaturity to the music if I was that into it at that time, and I just didn't relate to it anymore. Maybe it's because I just listened to it so fucking much for a period of time, and there's so much other music out there. I've never disliked Nirvana, but I had definitely forgotten how fucking good they were.

I still remember sitting on the school bus with my cousin, and sharing headphones as "Smells Like Teen Spirit" blew our pre-pubescent minds wide open. I would go home, and put on "From the Banks of the Muddy Wishkah" at ridiculously high volumes, and pretend my hockey stick was a guitar. I would pretend that the entire world had been neuralyzed after Kurt Cobain's death, and I had been given the songs of Nirvana and assembled a band that consisted of my buddies (with me being the Cobain figure) and we took the world by storm with this music. Our first gig was the local county fair, and we just caught like wild fire from that point, selling out arenas soon. My 6th grade girlfriend was our groupie. It was great.

This is the kind of shit bored farm kids come up with during winter.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Jackson Browne
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA
March 2, 1975

A Child In These Hills
Rock Me On The Water
Come All Ye Fair And Tender Ladies
Take It Easy
Our Lady Of The Well
For A Dancer
Ready Or Not
Fountain Of Sorrow
For Everyman
Walking Slow
Doctor My Eyes
These Days
The Road And The Sky
Before The Deluge
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Bill in CT wrote:Jackson Browne
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA
March 2, 1975

A Child In These Hills
Rock Me On The Water
Take It Easy
Our Lady Of The Well
For A Dancer
Ready Or Not
Fountain Of Sorrow
For Everyman
Walking Slow
Doctor My Eyes
These Days
The Road And The Sky
Before The Deluge
is this available for dl somewhere?

RMD

Post by RMD »

Iowan wrote:
Again.

I've been watching that Cobain doc on HBO. I haven't gone out of my way to listen to Nirvana in years. I don't know why. I was completely obsessed with Nirvana/Cobain in 6th/7th grade and maybe I've always assumed there was a certain immaturity to the music if I was that into it at that time, and I just didn't relate to it anymore. Maybe it's because I just listened to it so fucking much for a period of time, and there's so much other music out there. I've never disliked Nirvana, but I had definitely forgotten how fucking good they were.

I still remember sitting on the school bus with my cousin, and sharing headphones as "Smells Like Teen Spirit" blew our pre-pubescent minds wide open. I would go home, and put on "From the Banks of the Muddy Wishkah" at ridiculously high volumes, and pretend my hockey stick was a guitar. I would pretend that the entire world had been neuralyzed after Kurt Cobain's death, and I had been given the songs of Nirvana and assembled a band that consisted of my buddies (with me being the Cobain figure) and we took the world by storm with this music. Our first gig was the local county fair, and we just caught like wild fire from that point, selling out arenas soon. My 6th grade girlfriend was our groupie. It was great.

That is rock and roll in a nutshell and if KC was alive I am certain he would love this story. As for the documentary I enjoyed it. The most cringe worthy part was Courtney singing Amazing Grace. You could tell she thought she was amazing. I really dislike her.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

RMD wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Again.

That is rock and roll in a nutshell and if KC was alive I am certain he would love this story. As for the documentary I enjoyed it. The most cringe worthy part was Courtney singing Amazing Grace. You could tell she thought she was amazing. I really dislike her.
I haven't gotten to any of Courtney Love yet. I think Krist Novoselic said something to the effect of "the first 2/3rds were great, and I couldn't stand the last 1/3rd" which I assume is the Courtney stuff. As far as that being the spirit of rock and roll, I couldn't agree more. I remember jumping on my bed to practice leaping with the guitar and going nuts. It makes me chuckle just thinking about that. That feeling it gave you back then was as powerful as any drug I've ever done.

NP:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:
Again.

Great post, Iowan. I'm just impressed that you had a girlfriend in 6th grade. It, um uh, took me a bit longer than that.

I was a already in my mid 20's when Nirvana broke. I liked the louder stuff, but for me, their unplugged record is what I obsessed on. I recorded it from my stereo when it was first broadcast on MTV, so I had it on cassette for about six months before the record was released. I listened to that cassette over and over and over. I still get goosebumps when I hear Cobain howling the lyrics to Where Did You Sleep.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:
I've always loved Charlie's work, he's a phenomenal picker and a very gifted songwriter. He's known for his prowess at creating a raw and rough sound by finger picking a resonator guitar or a 12 string to great effect with little to no accompaniment. This album, however is the first time he has recorded with a backing band. I've got to say, the presence of a few additional instruments doesn't muddy his individual efforts, it amplifies him. Subtle accompaniment adds life to this album that, at times, his other efforts could be accused of lacking. I've already written about my love for the track "Over the Red Cedar" - to me the standout track of the album - but every track on this album (after a few listens) stands among his best work.
I love this place
Yeah that's a great fucking post. Bravo BO.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Again.

Great post, Iowan. I'm just impressed that you had a girlfriend in 6th grade. It, um uh, took me a bit longer than that.

I was a already in my mid 20's when Nirvana broke. I liked the louder stuff, but for me, their unplugged record is what I obsessed on. I recorded it from my stereo when it was first broadcast on MTV, so I had it on cassette for about six months before the record was released. I listened to that cassette over and over and over. I still get goosebumps when I hear Cobain howling the lyrics to Where Did You Sleep.
FWIW, my jr high/high school love life was very "Zip City".

Their Unplugged album album is incredible. My best friend from college would watch that entire performance on VHS every single day after school when he was growing up. He wouldn't go do anything without getting in his daily dose.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Nevermind broke out in my junior year of high school, which is pretty much the best timing ever
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Duke Silver wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:Jackson Browne
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA
March 2, 1975

A Child In These Hills
Rock Me On The Water
Take It Easy
Our Lady Of The Well
For A Dancer
Ready Or Not
Fountain Of Sorrow
For Everyman
Walking Slow
Doctor My Eyes
These Days
The Road And The Sky
Before The Deluge
is this available for dl somewhere?
I don't know one way or the other. A friend burned me a copy from his collection.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Again.

I was a already in my mid 20's.
It's ok Clams, some of us are slow starters.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Carrie and Lowell - Sufjan Stevens
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

This thing is so damn good. Wish I had known about her sooner. Sold out 3 nights at the Bowery Ballroom. I actually bought my first ticket on Stub Hub
Always go to the show

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Top 5 live album of all time.

Others:
Live At Leeds
Get Yer Ya-Yas Out
Viva Terlingua!
Europe 72

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Sound and Color

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Clams wrote:
Jonicont wrote:
I love this place
Yeah that's a great fucking post. Bravo BO.
You guys are going to make me blush. haha Thanks!