What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by tinnitus photography »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Image

Back to present day. One of my favorite records of the year.

a friend mentioned this guy in a thread where i was gushing over Lydia Loveless' new record. gotta check him out.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Lots of New Zealand indie pop from the 80's/90s originally on the Flying Nun label - reissued via Captured Tracks.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

The Afghan Whigs Congregation
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Such a great, great record. Yeah we throw that word around too much, I realize that, but this one deserves it. Actually gets better with time and it started out amazing.

I don't know if anyone actually "throws it around" undeservedly, but you may be onto something TC. I find myself wondering why I dip so light into all the wonderful recommendations here and think it;s because everything is so damned great.

There's such a high concentration of great music in this thread, evangelized by folks who's tastes and opinions I hold in high regard, that I find it almost desensitizing. I have limited listening time and dollars and the list of albums I need to get into is as long as my arm (actually longer, I'm sure). So when I listen I tend to go to something more familiar that I can enjoy while playing "in the background" rather than being frustrated that I'm getting interrupted and can't hear so and so's album that the LIstening Thread is going nuts over.

No real point this. Just some weird perspective from a music fan, with access to great recommendations who gets to do little actual listening. What bothers me about my predicament is that my next favorite musician is out there right now and I'm not listening to or supporting them.
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beebs wrote:

Such a great, great record. Yeah we throw that word around too much, I realize that, but this one deserves it. Actually gets better with time and it started out amazing.

I don't know if anyone actually "throws it around" undeservedly, but you may be onto something TC. I find myself wondering why I dip so light into all the wonderful recommendations here and think it;s because everything is so damned great.

There's such a high concentration of great music in this thread, evangelized by folks who's tastes and opinions I hold in high regard, that I find it almost desensitizing. I have limited listening time and dollars and the list of albums I need to get into is as long as my arm (actually longer, I'm sure). So when I listen I tend to go to something more familiar that I can enjoy while playing "in the background" rather than being frustrated that I'm getting interrupted and can't hear so and so's album that the LIstening Thread is going nuts over.

No real point this. Just some weird perspective from a music fan, with access to great recommendations who gets to do little actual listening. What bothers me about my predicament is that my next favorite musician is out there right now and I'm not listening to or supporting them.

Well described, beebs. I probably don't feel it quite as much as you, the demands on my time being different than those on yours, but I've noticed I often react the same way to "yet another great find" here on 3dd. Information (or input) overload. Someone once wrote a book about it, i think.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Beebs wrote:

Well described, beebs. I probably don't feel it quite as much as you, the demands on my time being different than those on yours, but I've noticed I often react the same way to "yet another great find" here on 3dd. Information (or input) overload. Someone once wrote a book about it, i think.

I think this is very real and while the demands on our time are quite different I sometimes feel the same way Beebs does. Sometimes I go whole hog into something highly recommended here but other times I simply don't have the time and it gets lost in the shuffle. Sturgill Simpson is a good example in that I just didn't dive in because I couldn't give his work the proper listen that it seemed to deserve. Now that I have I love his stuff but sometimes I forget about the hot stuff and by the time I can really listen people aren't talking about it as much and it gets forgotten. Still most of the new stuff I listen to is either from recs here or released by This Is American Music who's artists rarely disappoint.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I've got a lot of free time and I can't keep up
Always go to the show

cortez the killer

- DPM

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Image Image
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

1 and 2 are both pretty good.

How's the new Neil Young album?
Not forever, just for now.

cortez the killer

'Scratch wrote:How's the new Neil Young album?

If you are referring to A Letter Home, I don't like it.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The Boss on shuffle.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan's "Best of Son Volt"
1. Windfall
2. Dynamite
3. Hearts & Minds
4. Caryatid Easy
5. Drown
6. Jukebox of Steel
7. Bandages & Scars
8. Hanging Blue Side
9. Creosote
10. Loose String
11. Medicine Hat
12. Live Free
13. The Picture
14. Mystifies Me

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok so about that thing about missing out on some of the stuff being plugged on here? Yeah, if it means missing out on stuff like this I gotta work on that.

NP:

Holy shit.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok so about that thing about missing out on some of the stuff being plugged on here? Yeah, if it means missing out on stuff like this I gotta work on that.

NP:

Holy shit.

And that's not even their best work.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

With all the great live shows and studio albums, etc. of theirs out there, I find that this often slips through the cracks. Very well done and underappreciated release.

cortez the killer

Thanks belleville!
- DPM

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

The STrypes-Snapshot
BtB nails it again

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

On the one hand, I wish I liked Lydia Loveless more

On the other, there's too much good music out there for it to worry me too much
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I hand you my ball and chain
You just hand me that same old refrain
I'm walking on a wire, I'm walking on a wire
And I'm falling
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

cortez the killer

dee dee wrote:Image
The current landscape of garage rock is overrun by bands who find heroes in Sabbath and the Stooges, so it's rare in 2014 to find an artist that invokes the masters of ultra-mainstream radio rock from the late 1970s and early 1980s, a sub-genre that the comedian Marc Maron recently described as townie music. We're talking Van Halen, AC/DC, Skynyrd, Nugent, ZZ Top—bands that binged on masculinity and guitar heroics and made hit records that sounded really good when they were played loudly. They made songs that were ideal for pushing the speed limit, lifting weights, getting in bar fights, flirtin' with disaster, and for those moments where you ain't talkin' 'bout love.
This aesthetic void is handily filled by Austin shredders OBN IIIs, who revel in their own pose. They once made a music video in which all of the members murdered each other for the purpose of stealing booze and record money. On the cover of their new album, Third Time to Harm, frontman Orville Bateman Neeley III is flipping triple birds. They're surly in all their surface imagery, their lyrics are plenty macho, and sure enough, that churlishness finds its way into their beefy sound.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19375-obn-iiis-third-time-to-harm/

This. And loving it. I suppose I'm a sucker for "churlishness." Fucking Pitchfork.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've never listened to much aside from Rumor & Sigh, but I think my recent discovery of Shoot Out the Lights may end up being my favorite RT record.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:Image

I hand you my ball and chain
You just hand me that same old refrain
I'm walking on a wire, I'm walking on a wire
And I'm falling

I'll join you.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:

I've never listened to much aside from Rumor & Sigh, but I think my recent discovery of Shoot Out the Lights may end up being my favorite RT record.

Shoot Out the Lights is amazing, maybe a top 50 record IMHO. Thompson is a great guitarist and a fantastic songwriter but unfortunately has been criminally overlooked.this new acoustic record is quite good in terms of just revisiting some old songs, much like Bottle Rockets Not So Loud but a studio affair.