What's Everyone Listening to?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Re: What's Everyone Listening to?

Post by allisonsdc »

I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:Image

:?:

i thought you were not a fan.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

#1 NC album and probably in my top 3 all time. :ugeek:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

ImageImage

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

scored a copy of the reissue for $7 today. gonna be binging hard for a while now

album is probably too "emo" for most folks on this board but its got some of the best guitar interplay ive ever heard.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Here's one that snuck up on me, Bramble Rose turns 12 years old today.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:

:?:

i thought you were not a fan.

I throw it on now and then to see if it clicks
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Delicate Cutters - Ring

re: Cortez, TC, 3mile.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

linkous

Post by linkous »

Shakespeare wrote:Image
scored a copy of the reissue for $7 today. gonna be binging hard for a while now

album is probably too "emo" for most folks on this board but its got some of the best guitar interplay ive ever heard.

Check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6454&start=30

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Inspired by Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Country Songs ("People Got a Lotta Nerve" made the list). It's catching me, I think. I've never spent a ton of time with Neko Case, and the time I have didn't really sink in that hard.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Cramming to maximize enjoyment for Bonnaroo. Still deciding between Nick Cave and the Flaming Lips for Saturday's late night set. Leaning towards Nick Cave.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Frog Holler-Couldn't Get Along

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

dee dee wrote:Image
Cramming to maximize enjoyment for Bonnaroo. Still deciding between Nick Cave and the Flaming Lips for Saturday's late night set. Leaning towards Nick Cave.

Not knowing if you have seen any of them before or not, but I would definitely go for Cave if had to chose between those too. Not that FL are bad in any way. I like them too.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

RolanK wrote:
dee dee wrote:Image

Not knowing if you have seen any of them before or not, but I would definitely go for Cave if had to chose between those too. Not that FL are bad in any way. I like them too.

I'm not very well versed on either one. I really like yoshemi from the fl but find most of their stuff too out there for my tastes. I really like murder ballads and abattoir blues but a lot of the other stuff hasn't grabbed me I my limited listens. That said I'm sure both live shows would be great. Wish they weren't the Same time as not much on Friday late nite grabbed me.

I posted my tentative schedule in the live show thread. Had a few other dilemmas like vw vs nmh and early Sunday

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

4sooner wrote:Frog Holler-Couldn't Get Along

Love this band with Idiots probably being my favorite album of theirs. Have you heard their new side project, Ataloft?

linkous

Post by linkous »

I never thought I would like the Jack White album but it is unexpectedly good. There are a few country-ish moments which I wish he would do more of.
If it wasn't for the occasional lapse into guitar wankery, and that excruciating parody of the wailing Robert Plant style vocal he sometimes employs this might be album of the year material. The band he has assembled is first rate too.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

linkous wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:Image

Check out this thread.

http://www.threedimesdown.com/forum/vie ... 4&start=30

nice. glad you dig it. its definitely a mood album but it hits the spot damn well. i had a copy of the album for a while and wasnt gonna pull the trigger on the reissue till i found a cheap used copy. the liner notes alone are worth the price of admission. i love reading song backgrounds, even if alternate tunings talk goes way over my head

i hear it as more of a postrock sound than "emo," which is a genre name that means almost nothing anymore. the early 2000's have kinda ruined the term for a lot of people (although you mentioned jimmy eat world, a band i genuinely love still. probably an age thing there. i was discovering music as bands like that were in their prime. not many have stayed in my listening rotation sicne then, but the unfortunately acronymed JEW has) but some of the emo godfathers (sunny day real estate, jawbreaker, rites of spring/embrace/fugazi if you go way back) have held up very well, and its currently experiencing something of a revival with bands more in line with those guys than your mid 2000s mallpunk dudes.

dunno how familiar you are with the guys behind american football, but theyve been involved with a ton of bands. i think cap'n jazz might be my favorite. it's one of those albums i can see being totally grating to some people but it has this teenage exuberance i just adore. however, if you dig the guitar work on american football you might enjoy the owls albums. different singer (AF singer mike's brother tim, who is a big time love him or hate him guy for most folks. i kinda hate his band joan of arc but in the owls context hes perfect) and different band entirely (save mike on drums) but i think you might be into it if you liked the guitar interplay on american football

linkous

Post by linkous »

Nice one, cheers. I have loaded the Cap'n Jazz comp "Analphabetapolthology", and the Owls eponymous album onto Spotify.
After a cursory quick listen to the first few tracks of each band I think I would give Cap'n Jazz a miss - the vocals are terrible!!. Could be an age thing right enough. I might try a few of the later songs on this comp another time to see if it improves any.
Owls are much more interesting. Like you say the guitar interplay sounds impressive.
Speaking of impressive guitar interplay, have you heard Real Estates new album? I'm sure you have, but if not I think you would like it.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Hear an interview on NPR, good stuff and one worth listening for.
Last edited by 'Scratch on Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not forever, just for now.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

yup, thats cap'n jazz :lol:

most of the stuff on that comp is in the same vein, so if you didnt like the first few tracks, probably best to just give up. like i said, i love them but i can see how theyd be grating.

owls is essentially a cap'n jazz reunion, for the record. im glad they changed the name cuz the bands are so different. its too early to judge but i think the second owls album, which came out this year, is on par with the first

i actually saw real estate open for super furry animals in 2008 or so, before they ever really broke through. checked out their first album and it was nice but left no real impression on me so i never bothered with the others.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

RMD

Post by RMD »

Bob Mould- Beauty & Ruin

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

New Mary Gauthier album, Trouble & Love, streaming here-
http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2014/6/Firs ... ouble-Love
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Long John Baldry-Live Iowa state Univ 1987