Wilco.

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Wilco.

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I recently saw The Whole Love in the bargain bin at B & N, guess that means that maybe it didn't sell all that well.

I guess I wouldn't peg Wilco as the type of band that would sell all that well at a big-box.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I recently saw The Whole Love in the bargain bin at B & N, guess that means that maybe it didn't sell all that well.

I guess I wouldn't peg Wilco as the type of band that would sell all that well at a big-box.

Perhaps not but I would guess that if The Whole Love was in the bargain bin for $5 it would mean poor sales for the album overall, not just in big box type stores. Then again, I'm no retail expert.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Rocky wrote:Lots and I mean lots of bands I've never heard of at this festival.

That is true, but other than Wilco there will be some treats:

Medeski Martin and Wood with Nels Cline sitting in will be legendary to me.
Yo La Tengo isn't for everyone, but I love them and have never seen them live.
Autumn Defense in Stirrat and Sansonne's band which very rarely plays together live.
I can't wait to see Foxygen. Their stuff that I have heard sounds a little bit Velvetsesque to me.
Neko Case
They'll surely add a Tweedy solo acoustic set.
Marc Ribot and David Hidalgo (Los Lobos, right?)
Low

And I am embarrassed by this and maybe its my age, but I had never heard of Dream Syndicate before. Until I read this about them...I'm going to seek out their stuff tonight.

Fresh off of last September’s successful reunion tour of Spain, the Dream Syndicate will play it’s first North American show since 1988 at Wilco’s Solid Sound Festival.

The band’s Spanish shows last fall were named Best Live Show of the Year by the influential Ruta 66 magazine, finishing ahead of gigs by (in order) Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and The Stooges.

“I went into the Spanish shows with a little bit of caution,” says Wynn. “I’m really proud of what we did the first time around and wouldn’t want to do anything to tarnish or diminish our reputation. But I was so excited to see that the new shows not only replicated our sound and style but actually picked up on the dangerous, random, unhinged edge that was what I loved about being in the band in the first place.”

The band’s current lineup features singer/guitarist Steve Wynn and drummer Dennis Duck, the two members who spanned the group’s entire seven year career as well as bassist Mark Walton who was in the band for its final two records and nearly all of their US and world tours. Guitarist Jason Victor who has played with Wynn in the Miracle 3 since 2001 will round out the 21st Century lineup.

The Dream Syndicate made its splash in 1982 with the debut album “The Days of Wine and Roses,” often cited among the top records in rock history and has been named as a major influence by such bands as Nirvana, Yo La Tengo, the Japandroids and the Black Crowes among many others. The appearance at the Solid Sound Festival is the only US appearance booked for 2013.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kicking myself for missing Yo La Tengo this week. Only excuses are stupidity and laziness.

Yes, David Hidalgo is from Los Lobos.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Wilco

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I've never seen the Dream Syndicate but their Days of Wine and Roses and Medicine Show albums were pretty big back in my college radio days. However, I did get to hear a lot of my old favorites when the Baseball Project played the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro a few years ago. Mixed in with their own originals were songs by Wynn's various other bands and solo projects from over the years as well as some Minus Five stuff and quite a few covers. The entire show definitely had a "revue" feel to it. It was also woefully under attended despite the presence of such heavyweights (at least in my book) as Wynn, Buck and McCaughey which lent it an air of being an open rehearsal. The line between audience and band was nearly nonexistent that night. Oh, and don't let me sell Linda Pitmon (aka Mrs. Steve Wynn) short as she's an absolute powerhouse on the drums. A definite must see when and if they ever come to your area.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

The Dream Syndicate and Steve Wynn are among my all time favorites. Agree with Kudzu; Days of Wine and Roses and Medicine Show, check them out. I also like Ghost Stories, although I guess that is more of a Steve Wynn solo album. Live at Raji's is a good live album.

I never saw Dream Syndicate live, but have seen Steve Wynn solo or in various other outfits several times. He used to tour regularly over here (Norway) and played small venues around the country. Last time I saw him was with the Miracle 3 a couple of years ago. Small club, small audience but a great show.

(As a side-note: Back in the '90s Steve Wynn was in a project called Gutterball, with Bryan Harvey of House of Freaks. Bryan was murdered with his family in his home some years ago and, as probably most people in here know, he is who the song Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife is about. I saw Gutterball when I was a student when they were playing a couple of shows at a student house. They were staying for a couple of days and I got a hang with them a little after the shows. Bryan was a guitarist exactly after my taste, and he was also a very nice and down to earth guy. He said some words to me I have never forgotten since. I didn't know about his tragic destiny and that horrible story until I heard Patterson's song and started researching it, and it actually took me a while to realize it was the same guy I had met years before.)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

RolanK wrote:(As a side-note: Back in the '90s Steve Wynn was in a project called Gutterball, with Bryan Harvey of House of Freaks. Bryan was murdered with his family in his home some years ago and, as probably most people in here know, he is who the song Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife is about. I saw Gutterball when I was a student when they were playing a couple of shows at a student house. They were staying for a couple of days and I got a hang with them a little after the shows. Bryan was a guitarist exactly after my taste, and he was also a very nice and down to earth guy. He said some words to me I have never forgotten since. I didn't know about his tragic destiny and that horrible story until I heard Patterson's song and started researching it, and it actually took me a while to realize it was the same guy I had met years before.)

Wasn't Wes Freed connected to Gutterball somehow?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

^^^^^ I had to pull out the album I have to check. No mention of Wes, but it was recorded in Ricmond, Virginia (Montrose Studios). That's where he lives isn't it?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

RolanK wrote:^^^^^ I had to pull out the album I have to check. No mention of Wes, but it was recorded in Ricmond, Virginia (Montrose Studios). That's where he lives isn't it?

Yep - I did a lil lookin' and I guess the link is Bob Rupe, who records with Wes.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Smitty wrote:
RolanK wrote:^^^^^ I had to pull out the album I have to check. No mention of Wes, but it was recorded in Ricmond, Virginia (Montrose Studios). That's where he lives isn't it?

Yep - I did a lil lookin' and I guess the link is Bob Rupe, who records with Wes.

Yes, google helped me come to that conclusion as well, eventually. ;)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

This is a Wilco thread and I don't want to hijack it, but Medicine Show and Day of Wine and Roses are a lot of fun. Loving both of these records. Thanks for the recomendations.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

We've gone to multiple Solid Sounds and we're missing this year. Kinda a bummer because the line-up this year is amazing. Definitely one of the best festies we've done. It always worked out that we got a timeshare condo 10 miles from the venue, and drove in. So much easier than camping. I'd rec it to anyone with kids also, since they really focus on doing cool activities with them. 2 years ago, they made kites and then had a mass exodus flight down one of the hills. Was really cool seeing all these kids running down the hill launching them.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

This sounds like a blast.
wilco announcement wrote:Second, we're excited to announce a truly one-of-a-kind Wilco set: On Friday June 21, opening night at Solid Sound, Wilco will perform a first-ever (and maybe last?) live set comprised 100% of fan requests. We'll take submissions ahead of time and choose 50 songs from those submitted for the band to learn. Then Wilco will randomly pick from those live on stage that night. As a bonus, they'll do some in real time submitted via Twitter; then to top it off, a bit of "Stump the Band" with John Hodgman standing in for the late great Johnny Carson, giving those in the audience a chance to request songs live. It'll be a blast.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Kotche playin' the.....kitchen?!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Just came across this fantastic Being There-era show.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kind of cool that this thread popped up again. Just today my wife and I were eating lunch at a little place that she likes and just before we got up to leave a song came on that got my attention. I asked the girl behind the counter who it was and she said, "wilco." I know they have a really big catalogue so maybe I just haven't heard some of the better stuff. Whatever I heard today was a lot better than everything I had heard from them previously. I think I'll still like Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt better but maybe there's hope. With my sudden Springsteen breakthrough this year I'm sure not ruling it out.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Cole Younger wrote:Kind of cool that this thread popped up again. Just today my wife and I were eating lunch at a little place that she likes and just before we got up to leave a song came on that got my attention. I asked the girl behind the counter who it was and she said, "wilco." I know they have a really big catalogue so maybe I just haven't heard some of the better stuff. Whatever I heard today was a lot better than everything I had heard from them previously. I think I'll still like Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt better but maybe there's hope. With my sudden Springsteen breakthrough this year I'm sure not ruling it out.

If you like your Wilco neat, the first two albums are served straight up and the third is pretty much that way. Wilco (1995), Being There (1996), Summerteeth (1999). Sky Blue Sky from 2007 is also melodic and pretty straightforward. Others will recommend Wilco (The Album) as a more straightforward presentation, but I never could really catch the groove on that one - which is as likely to be me as the album since Wilco is one of those bands whose records I can not really like much and then it creeps into consciousness and I find years later upon review that I like it a lot more than I originally thought.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

cortez the killer wrote:
Just came across this fantastic Being There-era show.

just watched this front to back...stellar

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

way cool.

i saw that era a few times. i was very 90's. loud, sweaty rock shows. band was cracker jack.

although, i've lost a little interest over the years, wilco has been really, really outstanding for a long, long time. great band.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I have a full length "bootleg" video from 1995 that I'd be willing to share with anybody interested.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dime in the gutter wrote:way cool.

i saw that era a few times. i was very 90's. loud, sweaty rock shows. band was cracker jack.

although, i've lost a little interest over the years, wilco has been really, really outstanding for a long, long time. great band.

I saw Wilco a ton in those days and they never disappointed. I was pretty locked in with the people at Lounge Axe, Mrs. Tweedy's old club, and they would play unannounced shows there frequently. Sometimes just Jeff & Jay and sometimes the whole band. Tweedy was always a perfectionist but in those days they weren't choreographed or suitable for the white hanky crowd, they were just a Rock & Roll band. As much as I love today's Wilco I really miss that time.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^
Awesome!

cortez the killer

- DPM

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

That is good stuff when he quits singing and they rock,
but there is something about Tweedy that just annoys the hell out of me.
Almost as much as Yim does.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

cortez the killer

Yeah, I'm obsessed with the tone of his guitar on that one. I can see how/why Tweedy gets under people's skin (in a bad way), but I like & appreciate him as an artist.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Nothing about Tweedy annoys me
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:Nothing about Tweedy annoys me

Zip and I agree.

Mark it, Donnie.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Well don't worry about too much harmony because I'm still here...

I have seen and heard him have several hissy fits... like whiney, pouty, foot stomping, princessy hissy fits... Very undesirable behaviour in a grown man or anybody for that matter.

However I remain a fairly ardent fan. ...and i was definitely "Team Jeff" in all "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" discussion.

Plus, if the abundance of raw talent isn't enough, he's very funny... there's a video out there of him covering the Black-eyed Peas and it's hilarious..

But I could still have done without the tantrums.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

when was the last tantrum you witnessed?

and speaking of tantrums, did you ever see Sebadoh in the early 90s? :D