Wilco.

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Wilco.

Post by Duke Silver »

well, i pre-ordered Schmilco. what can i say, i liked the t-shirt design and now maybe i'll win that autographed guitar.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I did a preorder, too. Just got the cd as I'm going to wait until the show for a shirt. Very fan friendly on the shirt prices in the past. A guitar or clock would be cool.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

I saw the first show of the Schmilco Tour last night in Salt Lake City. Awesome as usual.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

how'd the new stuff sound?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Looks like they seriously shook up the setlist last night in Idaho & introduced the stripped down set up. Can't wait for tonight & tomorrow!

from last night:
If I Ever Was A Child
Cry All Day
Misunderstood
The Joke Explained
Someone To Lose
War On War
Reservations
Impossible Germany
Pick Up The Change
Nope
I'm Always In Love
Passenger Side
Whole Love
Jesus, etc.
Locator
Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)
Shrug And Destroy
We Aren't The World (Safety Girl)
Hummingbird
The Late Greats
----------------------------------
Via Chicago
California Stars
It's Just That Simple
We've Been Had
Christ For President
A Shot in the Arm

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

chuckrh wrote:Looks like they seriously shook up the setlist last night in Idaho & introduced the stripped down set up. Can't wait for tonight & tomorrow!
If you mean the acoustic encore by "introduced the stripped down set up" - they've been doing that all year. I saw them do it at multiple shows last winter, at the Philly show, and at the Chicago show last month. Enjoy the Seattle shows!
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Bill in CT wrote:
chuckrh wrote:Looks like they seriously shook up the setlist last night in Idaho & introduced the stripped down set up. Can't wait for tonight & tomorrow!
If you mean the acoustic encore by "introduced the stripped down set up" - they've been doing that all year. I saw them do it at multiple shows last winter, at the Philly show, and at the Chicago show last month. Enjoy the Seattle shows!

I was talking about the stripped down stage set up for the whole show, as referenced in the COS stories. Smaller drumkit, less amps & keyboards etc. There's a picture out there. I can't get it to load but if you see it you'll see what I'm talking about. I saw the acoustic encore too. This is different. Boise was the breakout. Strangely it didn't happen in SLC a earlier in the week. The set list is quite different too. No Man Who Loves, Heavy Metal, Break Your Heart. Quite different.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

chuckrh wrote:new stage set up from last night

https://igcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/h ... 5298_n.jpg
Thanks for the clarification. How was the first show at the Moore? The backdrop looks nice…very woodsy.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Bill in CT wrote:
chuckrh wrote:new stage set up from last night

https://igcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/h ... 5298_n.jpg
Thanks for the clarification. How was the first show at the Moore? The backdrop looks nice…very woodsy.
I've seen the band countless times & this was among the best. The whole band is right up at the front of the stage including drums & keyboards. Even though it was stripped down, that doesn't mean it was acoustic. Jeff played acoustic most of the show but busted out the electric for a stellar version of Impossible Germany. As unlikely as this seems, that song keeps getting better. Nels definitely went to another place during it. The huge good surprise for me was a ferocious version of Spiders for the 1st encore. Stellar & best I've seen. Reservations was everything I wanted. I had never seen them play that before. It was a special night as my belle had never seen them. I turned her onto to them & she said it was 1 of the best shows she's ever seen. & we've been to some really good ones. I'm going again tonight solo as she had a commitment with her daughter. It was an excellent night. Setlist below. Think you'll see some other stuff that will make say "wow!". :)

Normal American Kids @
If I Were a Child
Cry All Day
Wishful Thinking
Misunderstood (9ish nothings)
Company in My Back
Joke Explained
Someone to Lose
Pot Kettle Black
Either Way
Reservations
Impossible Germany
Pick Up The Change
Nope
Always in Love
Passenger Side
Locator
Whole Love
Jesus Etc.
We Aren't The World
Hummingbird
-------------------
Spiders
-------------------
We've Been Had
Christ for President
Shot in the Arm

@ Jeff & Nels only

PS: just noticed this but they did War on War, too.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

American Kids is my favorite Tweedy song in a long time.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Last night was excellent also. Setlist below. Enough differences where it was worth doing both shows. There was kind of a weird energy as the band walked offstage after 5 songs & the house lights came up. There was no info & people were a little freaked. Paris on the brain. It turned out someone had a heart attack & chest compressions were being done. All we could tell was there was a bright light & a lot of yelling. Someone near me said "sniper" & it was tense for a few minutes. The band came back on after about 15 minutes & they were a little shook up. It was announce what happened. Overall, I think Nels was more on fire first show, Glenn last night. I had wished for Radio Cure & Ashes of American Flags & was very happy to get those. True Love was a nice surprise on the encore. I think I would give the edge to Friday but both shows were excellent. I got merch last night. As usual, tshirts were cool & fan friendly on the pricing. Also, the poster for the show was awesome. Seahawks theme! Resting up today, they Ray LaMontagne with MMJ tomorrow. It has been a good rock & roll weekend to this point for sure!

Normal American Kids $
If I Were A Child
Cry All Day
Radio Cure
Company In My Back
(Break)
Misunderstood
Someone to Lose
Nothingsever
Bull Black Nova
Shouldn't be Ashamed
Reservations
Impossible Germany
Nope
Forget The Flowers
She's A Jar
Dawned On Me
Ashes of American Flags
Locator ->
Laminated Cat
We Aren't The World
Hummingbird
Late Greats
----------
Spiders
----------
True Love ^
California Stars ^
Just That Simple
Shot In The Arm

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm bummed that they aren't coming close to me with any of the currently announced dates. Last time they played here was one of a handful of shows they played right before Tweedy went on his solo tour, and it was the first time they'd been on stage together in over a year.

Unbelievable show with a great set list:

Misunderstood
Forget the Flowers
Passenger Side
Handshake Drugs
Hummingbird
Cars Can't Escape
Via Chicago
Poor Places
Art of Almost
I Might
Impossible Germany
Born Alone
Laminated Cat (Loose Fur cover)
Jesus, Etc.
A Magazine Called Sunset
Whole Love
I'm Always in Love
California Stars
Walken
Kingpin
I'm the Man Who Loves You

Encore:

Box Full of Letters
Dawned On Me
Heavy Metal Drummer
I Got You (at the End of the Century)
Outtasite (Outta Mind)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

After a couple of listens, I actually agree with Pitchfork ( :shock: ) on this one

walthers

Post by walthers »

Smitty wrote:American Kids is my favorite Tweedy song in a long time.
Agree 100%. I think that song is fantastic, great opener to the album.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

There's a couple songs that seem kinda wallpaperish, but for the most part it's a great record. "Kids" would've fit on Being There, and that's not something I've thought about any of their songs in a long time.

It's definitely top five aoty material; it's currently a toss up between it, HWA, Richmond Fontaine and Lydia Loveless for second place.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm reserving judgment until many more listens. First impression was that I liked it, but often asked "where is Wilco?" Felt more like a Tweedy solo record

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I'm reserving judgment until many more listens. First impression was that I liked it, but often asked "where is Wilco?" Felt more like a Tweedy solo record
I kind of agree, with the exception of, I think it was Common Sense (but I'm not sure), where Glenn steals the show with drums that sound straight out of "Hollywood Nights"

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:I'm reserving judgment until many more listens. First impression was that I liked it, but often asked "where is Wilco?" Felt more like a Tweedy solo record
It's been billed as being a very slow, subdued album so there was no surprise there. I do sort of get where you're coming from and I felt the same way initially, but after a few spins things popped out that I didn't notice at first. There's some superb playing by the all the members, particularly Nels and Glenn, but the nature of the record does make it less obvious than on other albums.

Regardless of what name is on the cover, it's still an astonishing album and it has more depth than any Wilco record since probably Sky Blue Sky (or maybe even AGIB).

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

BTW, parts of Schmilco are reminiscent of the Velvet Underground's quieter moments. Tweedy's vocals even evoke Lou Reed on a couple of tracks.

My only complaint about the record is that it's too short and seems to fly by.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I luv the record. Of course the playing is stellar, as is the song writing. Sonically, amazing. I had the record early on MP3 & the difference between that & the cd is stunning. My ears are on the shot side & usually I can't tell much difference. This 1, the difference floored me. I've been a fan since day 1, hardcore since Summerteeth. It's been quite a journey so far & I look forward to wherever Jeff wants to take us from here.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

It's very good. First three songs are amazing.
Locator is awesome too.
Wish they were coming close.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

the three shows I just saw at the Fillmore were spectacular, truly a band 100% on top of its game. Wish I could see them again tonight
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Damn, I can't stop listening to If I Ever Was a Child. Absolutely perfect song. I think each night live this weekend it had a nice false ending led by Nels

whatwouldcooleydo?

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Already listened to the more times than Star Wars. No misses on Side One.

This will play well in the stripped down, live setting.
Last edited by Vincent on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

They just released Roadcase bundles of the recent Seattle & LA multi night runs. Excellent!

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:They just released Roadcase bundles of the recent Seattle & LA multi night runs. Excellent!
I'm gonna be pissed if they don't release SF, especially after not releasing the Fillmore Tweedy solo shows from a few years back

I haven't checked the Roadcase in a week or so, so if in that time they released the Fillmore run I missed it

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
chuckrh wrote:They just released Roadcase bundles of the recent Seattle & LA multi night runs. Excellent!
I'm gonna be pissed if they don't release SF, especially after not releasing the Fillmore Tweedy solo shows from a few years back

I haven't checked the Roadcase in a week or so, so if in that time they released the Fillmore run I missed it
No Fillmore yet. Night 1 of Seattle is one of the best live recordings I've ever heard. Haven't listened to night 2 yet.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

solid sound festival #5 - jun 23-25, north adams mass.