Wilco.

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Wilco.

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Tracing Wilco’s Live Evolution Through Their Best Bootlegs

I am inclined to say that the omission of the 5/10/97 soundboard of a legendary Fillmore show invalidates the whole shebang, but still think some will find this of interest. Do with this what you will
The Solid Sound tapes on NYCtaper are blessed by the band.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

From Sky Blue Sky, released 15 years ago this month. PopMatters looks back at it in the article below.

https://youtu.be/kmI7SiLe4Vw

https://www.popmatters.com/wilco-sky-bl ... lSAGTtP_Ng

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Personally, that album was when I drifted away from Wilco. Prior to that, I likely would have called them my favorite band or at minimum top three. I saw them live a couple times on that tour and they were still great (as I'm sure they still are today), but SBS itself was where they became "not for me anymore." I still check out their new releases to see if anything catches me but it's been a long time. However, I threw Summerteeth on a couple of weeks ago and it blew me away like always.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Clams

Post by Clams »

I love that this 8 page Wilco thread was started over 10 years ago by someone who doesn't like them or get their sound - and all these years later I have to agree. I've tried to get into Wilco like 25 times, and while there are a few nuggets and songs that I think are decent, to this day I still find Wilco boring as hell. Which isn't to say I don't respect Wilco - but only because I have a LOT of friends whose musical taste I respect who really love them. But, for me, I just don't like Wilco and I'm comfortable with that.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:32 am
I love that this 8 page Wilco thread was started over 10 years ago by someone who doesn't like them or get their sound - and all these years later I have to agree. I've tried to get into Wilco like 25 times, and while there are a few nuggets and songs that I think are decent, to this day I still find Wilco boring as hell. Which isn't to say I don't respect Wilco - but only because I have a LOT of friends whose musical taste I respect who really love them. But, for me, I just don't like Wilco and I'm comfortable with that.

Would you say that Wilco are your "One of These Days" of rock groups? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:49 am
Clams wrote:

Would you say that Wilco are your "One of These Days" of rock groups? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nah, lots of folks dont like Wilco. You're the only DBT fan who doesnt like One of These Days.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:59 am
Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:

Nah, lots of folks dont like Wilco. You're the only DBT fan who doesnt like One of These Days.
Transcends opinion and taste and moves into the territory of character flaw.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:59 am
Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:

But I do like it, just not as much as you.

Primer Coat, on the other hand....

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:52 am
Personally, that album was when I drifted away from Wilco. Prior to that, I likely would have called them my favorite band or at minimum top three. I saw them live a couple times on that tour and they were still great (as I'm sure they still are today), but SBS itself was where they became "not for me anymore." I still check out their new releases to see if anything catches me but it's been a long time. However, I threw Summerteeth on a couple of weeks ago and it blew me away like always.
They had a hell of a run from "Summerteeth" through "Kicking Television". I like "Being There" plenty, too but probably would have been better as a single record. They've kind of settled into a comfortable groove but still are capable of being outstanding at times. This upcoming country record scares me though.

cortez the killer

- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:59 pm
hahahahahahahaha. I've been kind of having similar thoughts about them lately. The last time I saw them was just ok except for Helter Skelter on the encore with Young Fresh Fellows. I'm really not wild about the new record. They are also at the phase where they are heavily monetizing everything. Is ok but I have a limit on what I would spend to see them which they are fast approaching. Same thing happened with MMJ this week. I passed on spending over $100 to see them in a lame outdoor venue with a curfew this week. Coincidentally, DBT are playing that same venue a week from today but it's free & in the afternoon. I'm going to that one, haha. Maybe I'll get the new record better seeing them play some of it live. I like the first 2 songs on it (1 Hood, 1 Cooley) but the rest of it hasn't really sunk in for me.

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:22 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
hahahahahahahaha. I've been kind of having similar thoughts about them lately. The last time I saw them was just ok except for Helter Skelter on the encore with Young Fresh Fellows. I'm really not wild about the new record. They are also at the phase where they are heavily monetizing everything. Is ok but I have a limit on what I would spend to see them which they are fast approaching. Same thing happened with MMJ this week. I passed on spending over $100 to see them in a lame outdoor venue with a curfew this week. Coincidentally, DBT are playing that same venue a week from today but it's free & in the afternoon. I'm going to that one, haha. Maybe I'll get the new record better seeing them play some of it live. I like the first 2 songs on it (1 Hood, 1 Cooley) but the rest of it hasn't really sunk in for me.
Chuck is rabble rousing.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:14 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:22 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Chuck is rabble rousing.
;)

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

They are also at the phase where they are heavily monetizing everything
i don't disagree with you, but i also tend to think of it like a pro athlete in terms of making hay while the sun still shines. there are no guarantees for a long career and the days of retiring on residual radio royalties are long over. i begrudge no one the effort to make a living and trying to maximize their earnings. if the price for any particular show/release/etc is too steep i can always not pay that price. if enough people choose that route, the prices will eventually drop.

https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0a00 ... aa0ed83dea

cortez the killer

Cruel Country finally getting a physical release (CD and double vinyl) on 1/20/23.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Guess who has an op-ed in the NYT today? None other than Jeff Tweedy. Haven't read it yet but I think it's about guilty pop pleasures.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard