Most Surprisingly Good Records of 2011

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Most Surprisingly Good Records of 2011

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok if I can post a topic of the bad ones that disappointed me I can do the same for the ones that came out of left field in a good way. Here are a couple:

Tommy Stinson- One Man Mutiny

Who knew ol' Tommy had an album like this in him? I sure did not. One Man Mutiny is close to being thebest post Replacements album by any member, including Paul Westerberg (I would put it in a three way tie with Tommy's Bash & Pop & Paul's 14 Songs). This album just plain rocks and has some killer harmonies from Tommy's fiance, among others. Top ten of the year and I didn't even know it was coming out.

Ben Harper- Give til It's Gone

Post divorce albums are generally pretty good. Makes sense songwriters are emotionally charged people to begin with and that kind of a muse, however negative, is powerful stuff. Still though after some very disappointing releases I sure didn't expect this. Powerful songwriting, a new direction and even a little punk rock swagger mixed in. Made me really pay attention to BH for the first time in several years.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Re: Most Surprisingly Good Records of 2011

Post by Zip City »

Girls - Father, Son and Holy Ghost - Never heard of this band until someone on another board starting raving about them. I saw that Pitchfork gave them a high score, and my instinct was to dismiss them out of hand ( :lol: ), but I streamed the song they were featuring and was hooked. It's now in my top 3 of the year.

Dawes - Nothing is Wrong - I'd seen them mentioned here before, and then I saw them open for Bright Eyes earlier in the year and thought they were just okay. I went ahead and got the new record anyways, and I love it. It's surprising that the songs didn't hook me in concert, but grabbed me right away on record
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

White Denim - D
Never heard of them before. Bought it on a whim and it's been blowing me away ever since. Every time I listen to it it gets better.

King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine
This, along with the Ghostpoet album, was my go out and buy a few things off the mercury prize shortlist that I wouldn't have normally tried. It's a mixture of folk music and electronics. This is the most beautiful, restful album I've bought since In the Heart of the Moon by Ali farka Toure and Toumani Diabate (which is one of my top 5 albums of the last five years or so)

EDIT

REM - Collapse into Now
I'll be honest I've been buying the last few albums when they come out and not really expecting very much. This might be their best album since 'Automatic for the People'. It seems to take a lot of the best bits from their whole career and pack them in to one last hurrah.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm With You - Red Hot Chili Peppers

I expected to this to be complete garbage without John Frusciante, who is one of my 5 favorite guitar players of all-time. And while new guy Josh Klinghoffer was buried in the mix some, it became evident that the driving force behind RHCP's songs and undeniable sense of groove has been Flea and Chad Smith all along. I'm guessing this is an album that wasn't huge for the rest of this board, but I've been a big fan of these guys for a long time, and I keep waiting for the suck to happen. So far, it hasn't (outside of a few individual songs).

Wasting Light - Foo Fighters

Again, I keep waiting for the suck here. Now they have had some very uneven albums (Echoes Silence Patience & Grace looks weaker with every passing year, and One By One was pretty bad) but they knocked this one out of the park. Grohl and company sound as invigorated, focused, and intense as ever. Borders on a late career masterpiece, but doesn't quite achieve it, running out of steam a little on the back side.

Here We Rest - Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit

I'm guessing there won't be many folks here with this on their list, but the self-title album fell out of my rotation after a month or two. There were some good songs for sure, but compared to the high expectations I have for Jason's work, it didn't make the grade. Here We Rest is a beautiful work of art. I've listened to it consistently since it's release. It's without a doubt his finest solo work and shows how bright his future is.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Wilco - The Whole Love

Without really thinking about it, I guess I had written them off after the bland, boring slab of Volkswagon rock that was the self-titled album. The band had gotten so good, they didn't even need to write songs anymore. Jeff Tweedy could just press the "pop" or "rock" pre-sets on the Wilco sound machine, throw some magnetic poetry and a crazy Nels Cline solo on top, and call it a day. So it's good to hear a Wilco album that has actual songs again. Art of Almost, Born Alone, Whole Love, Capitol City, and One Sunday Morning are all great additions to their catalog. Welcome back, Wilco.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:Wilco - The Whole Love

Without really thinking about it, I guess I had written them off after the bland, boring slab of Volkswagon rock that was the self-titled album. The band had gotten so good, they didn't even need to write songs anymore. Jeff Tweedy could just press the "pop" or "rock" pre-sets on the Wilco sound machine, throw some magnetic poetry and a crazy Nels Cline solo on top, and call it a day. So it's good to hear a Wilco album that has actual songs again. Art of Almost, Born Alone, Whole Love, Capitol City, and One Sunday Morning are all great additions to their catalog. Welcome back, Wilco.

Yeah, I really liked this album too. But I wasn't surprised by it. I kinda like Wilco (The Album). I definitely prefer it to Sky Blue Sky (minus Impossible Germany).

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Iowan wrote:

Yeah, I really liked this album too. But I wasn't surprised by it. I kinda like Wilco (The Album). I definitely prefer it to Sky Blue Sky (minus Impossible Germany).

I feel the opposite. I love Sky Blue Sky almost cover to cover (can't stand Walken). Other than Wilco the Song, I can't remember a single track from the s/t.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Duke Silver wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I feel the opposite. I love Sky Blue Sky almost cover to cover (can't stand Walken). Other than Wilco the Song, I can't remember a single track from the s/t.

I'm with Iowan on this one. Sky Blue Sky isn't bad, but I lose interest if I play it straight through. Country Disappeared, Bull Black Nova and I'll Fight from the s/t are up there with my favorite Wilco songs.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I'm kind of torn on this album. There are pieces of this album that I really like and others that are forgettable. And the forgettable aspects of the album disrupt the flow of the album to me when listening to it front to back. That being said the new stuff that they played on Monday night sounded excellent live and I am sure will be solid live staples as they continue to progress in the post-Bennett era.

One thing I'd like to comment on regarding Wilco (The album) is that One Wing has emerged as one of their stronger live songs.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Seeing the stuff from Wilco (The Album) live really sold me on it. Especially "One Wing" as Cubsfan06 noted.

It's towards the bottom of Wilco albums for me (probabl only ahead of SBS), but I still like it. And I enjoy "Walken". Never got the hate for that song.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:One thing I'd like to comment on regarding Wilco (The album) is that One Wing has emerged as one of their stronger live songs.

YES!

also Country Disappeared is probably becoming my favorite Wilco song...

Loved this Wilco album, but love it the least of their albums...to me a testament as to how great they are...but had I not seen the songs live a couple times, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i was surprised to learn that not only was Faust still going, but they put out a pretty great record (Something Dirty)

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Highly recommend checking out this link to an hour long video from a recent performance by Wilco in Holland I believe. The sound is perfect, and the performance is jawdropping.

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/tv/#/41396395/45343471/15

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

I saw some of you all listening to Richard Buckner over the last several years but never got into it. But Our Blood feels so personal... love it. I don't believe there is a single song that I would give "5 stars" to on the entire album but also probably not one I'd say was worth less than 4.

Bill Callahan - Apocolypse was another one. "America!" is up there in favorite songs of the year. Now I want to dig into his huge body of work... It is a bit overwhelming.

I stumbled into Girls - Father, Son, and Holy Ghost the same way Zip City did. "Vomit" is epic, like 3 great songs in one. The short songs on it are a lot of fun as well.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Dee Dee, I wish that Callahan album were on spotify: I've been hearing about it for a while now but still haven't heard a single note.

Some delightful musical surprises in 2011:

Superheavy - Superheavy - When I first heard about this project I thought it was a joke and then when I realized it wasn't a joke i figured it would be pathetic. Boy was i wrong. In my top 20 of the year :shock:

Girl - Father, Son, Holy Ghost - Only heard of this 'cause of the good folks of 3dd. Had no idea what to expect; loved it immediately. In my top 10 of the year.

Wild Flag - Wild Flag - Just like in the good ole days, I read an insanely enthusiastic review of this otherwise unknown to me band and album, set out to listen to it and was blown away. Top 10.

White Denim - D - Another discovery I owe to 3DD. Just a joyful musical pleasure, all the more so for coming out of nowhere. Top 20.

The Decemberists - The King is Dead - Even more surprising 'cause i initially dismissed it because of the hype, then dismissed it on first listen so I really "earned" this surprising pleasure. Top 10ish.

Steve Cropper - Dedicated - I suppose a great steve cropper album is not exactly a surprise, but the surprise here is that I didn't hear about it on its initial release and only tripped over it later. And then I was a little concerned because it was a "tribute album" and we all know how most of those turn out. But this is nothing like that. My #2 of the year.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

dee dee wrote:Bill Callahan - Apocolypse was another one. "America!" is up there in favorite songs of the year. Now I want to dig into his huge body of work... It is a bit overwhelming.

you are in for a treat. Callahan is an amazing artist.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Hey Dee Dee and Zip, re: Girls. Be sure to check out the two previous Girls releases, "Album" and the "Broken Dreams Club" EP.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:Hey Dee Dee and Zip, re: Girls. Be sure to check out the two previous Girls releases, "Album" and the "Broken Dreams Club" EP.

But not me? ;)

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:
scotto wrote:Hey Dee Dee and Zip, re: Girls. Be sure to check out the two previous Girls releases, "Album" and the "Broken Dreams Club" EP.

But not me? ;)

Umm, no. Sorry.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

But not me? ;)

Umm, no. Sorry.

I'd promise to behave, or misbehave, but i'm not sure what'll get it done.

scotto

Post by scotto »

OK.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Love The Whole Love, but think I dig Wilco (the album) better.

Bull Black Chevy Nova.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

The Smithereens -- Smithereens 2011 -- I think this is the comeback of the year album. For the past decade The 'reens have been doing mostly Beatles and Who covers. This is their first album of original songs in about ten years. It is, IMO, their second best overall album.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

ryan adams and wilco without a doubt.

a bunch of other ones as well. i'll get back to you.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Ryan Adams
Blitzen Trapper
Elbow

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

A record I haven't seen anyone talking about is Marble Son by Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter. I always liked Jesse Sykes, but this album is a game-changer. The 'alt country' vibe of her former work is replaced by this doom-y Pink Floyd what-the-fuckness. One of the most compelling albums I've heard in a long time.

Southeast Engine have also seriously moved onto my radar with their excellent album Canary, also pretty slept on in critic's polls, but whaddya gonna do? Misra doesn't have the advertising dollars to sufficiently grease the pockets of the indie powers-that-be I guess. But for anyone who thinks Wilco peaked at Summerteeth needs to hear this band immediately.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok if I can post a topic of the bad ones that disappointed me I can do the same for the ones that came out of left field in a good way. Here are a couple:

Ben Harper- Give til It's Gone

Post divorce albums are generally pretty good. Makes sense songwriters are emotionally charged people to begin with and that kind of a muse, however negative, is powerful stuff. Still though after some very disappointing releases I sure didn't expect this. Powerful songwriting, a new direction and even a little punk rock swagger mixed in. Made me really pay attention to BH for the first time in several years.

thanks for reminding me he HAD a new album out! Listened to it 4 times today!...it's good!

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

You know, I haven't given this one single listen for the exact reasons you mentioned. Oh and thanks for the morning laughs - "Volkswagon rock" - I just about spit coffee. Your description of Wilco pre-sets was dead ob for me too. I'm sorry to the die-hard fans, but while I respect their musicianship most Wilco stuff sounds like homogenous and bland to me.

BUT, I will put on fresh ears and check out The Whole Love because I want to like these guys.
Not forever, just for now.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Iowan wrote:Here We Rest - Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit

I'm guessing there won't be many folks here with this on their list, but the self-title album fell out of my rotation after a month or two. There were some good songs for sure, but compared to the high expectations I have for Jason's work, it didn't make the grade. Here We Rest is a beautiful work of art. I've listened to it consistently since it's release. It's without a doubt his finest solo work and shows how bright his future is.

I definitely agree with this one. I did enjoy the last album and wasn't sure how this one was going to turn out. I have listened to it consistently since I picked it up and have not tired on it one bit. Almost gets better each time. My 17 month old daughter immediately smiles and laughs and dances soon as Alabama Pines comes over the speakers in the living room or in the car and will sometimes carry the album over to me to play. Helps that she loves birds now too, and she isn't allowed to play with my vinyl but they aren't always put up out of her reach. Not sure how anyone can give this album a bad review. Its light years from the last album and Ill say that the whole album is his best work ever.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I think this came out last year but I didnt discover it till a couple of months ago, and it really deserves to be shared: its the people who do the soundtrack song for the TV show JUSTIFIED.

This album has really grown on me, to the point where I have it on endless repeat in the car. You would think it might suck, being a combination of rap and bluegrass, and that it would not work in any way, shape or form, but it does. There are some great lyrivs (one of my favourites is sung by a female vocalist and talks about coal mining in West Virginia, and making crystal meth). I'm trying to get the people at my gym to use "I Go Hard" in our circuit (not sure if that'll fly or not).

Anyway, if you have a fiver spare on an emusic account, totally give this a whirl:

GANGSTAGRASS: THUNDER ON THE MIC LIGHTNING ON THE STRINGS

http://www.gangstagrass.com/

clips:

this is the anthemic "Put Your Hands up High"

I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.