Never Had Such A Good Time/The Grateful Dead Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Never Had Such A Good Time/The Grateful Dead Thread

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

211poundsofpork wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:Elvis Costello did that?! Who knew!
he's performed quite a few GD covers over the years- Loser, FOTD (almost every night with Sugarcanes on that tour). Ship of Fools, It Must Have Been the Roses, and others I can't recall right now.

Seeing him a week from Monday in San Diego, doubtful he'll do any GD, pretty sure he doesn't do GD songs with the Impostors
Ha! Wait 'til I tell my brother this. He is a big Costello fan; the Dead...not so much.
Play this for him. The entire show circulates in good quality, audio and video. Jerry is only one a few songs

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

so tomorrow we're gonna be in San Bernardino, crashing for the night before heading to Joshua Tree on Wednesday. Being the maniacal Deadhead that I am, I decided I had to go pay homage the Swing Auditorium, site of the legendary 2/26/77 GD show (and also site of the very first Rolling Stones concert played in the U.S. on 6/5/64). Was looking up the address when I read this:

On September 11, 1981, the auditorium was irreparably damaged when it was struck by a small plane, following which the building had to be destroyed.

Let that sink in. On 9/11, a plane hit the building, leading to its destruction :o :o :o

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I work for the Alt-Weekly rag out here in Denver, and we have the Dead & Co shows coming up in Boulder next week.

AEG purchased our cover this week. I'm biased, and I know this probably offends some folks because of the overt advertising, but I think this is awesome.

I got a print framed from our printer.

Image Image
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Hud

Post by Hud »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:so tomorrow we're gonna be in San Bernardino, crashing for the night before heading to Joshua Tree on Wednesday. Being the maniacal Deadhead that I am, I decided I had to go pay homage the Swing Auditorium, site of the legendary 2/26/77 GD show (and also site of the very first Rolling Stones concert played in the U.S. on 6/5/64). Was looking up the address when I read this:

On September 11, 1981, the auditorium was irreparably damaged when it was struck by a small plane, following which the building had to be destroyed.

Let that sink in. On 9/11, a plane hit the building, leading to its destruction :o :o :o
Damn, hats crazy!

I share the the Sam Birthdate as Mickey....9/11
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Apparently a bomb scare at the Hollywood Bowl last night. Second set, second song, "He's Gone" the band was rushed off the stage by authorities. Police dogs were brought on stage. After about a 10 minute delay the band returned, and Bobby gave a cryptic "All clear, kind of." message to the crowd. The band slowly built back the song and began again with the "Like a steam locomotive" chorus. I've seen multiple reports that it may have been caused by some slapnuts throwing a big bag of weed onto the stage. Regardless, following Manchester, venues are on high alert, and there may have been other reasons last night. The band and venue had shared the following message yesterday..."SEE something. SAY something".
This darkness got to give.

Here's some news reports from last night....on a funny note, I can't get over the reporter twice referring to the band as Dead & CO. AND John Mayer.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I watched Long Strange Trip streaming on Amazon this weekend. It is an amazing documentary. Fantastic. Watch it!

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:I watched Long Strange Trip streaming on Amazon this weekend. It is an amazing documentary. Fantastic. Watch it!

Awesome! We are on road until Saturday, gonna watch as soon as I get home. Seeing Elvis Costello tonight here in San Diego

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I thought it started out strong but went downhill fast. Reverted to the old music doc trope of talking heads, aging hippies waxing philosophical, etc. More shots of roadies doing nitrous and hollow-eyed, stereotype-affirming Deadhead morons than of Keith, Dick, Owsley, etc, and nothing about Betty. This 'head's disappointed.

whatwouldcooleydo?

and I left my Dead grass there by the side of the road

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

After Kudzu brought it up a few days ago I put on Reckoning for the first time in years. Damn fine live record. I haven't been able to stop listening. Jerry's vocal on It Must Have Been the Roses is simply amazing.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:After Kudzu brought it up a few days ago I put on Reckoning for the first time in years. Damn fine live record. I haven't been able to stop listening. Jerry's vocal on It Must Have Been the Roses is simply amazing.
A personal all-time fave, a criminally overlooked album. My favorite Sunday morning album. Reckoning and Dead Set were what set me off on my long, strange trip

whatwouldcooleydo?

A favor to ask from a very close friend. Help him out if you feel like it. I don't know any details beyond what he says below. BTW, Barry Barnes is the author of Everything I Know About Business I Learned from the Grateful Dead:

Fellow Deadheads:

Barry Barnes and I are writing a book on the Grateful Dead’s 100 best songs. The publisher asked us to do a marketing survey, and here’s the link — it only takes a couple of minutes and would help us if you complete it.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BQCCB9K

Thanks in advance, and we’ll keep you posted.

Bob Trudeau
Providence

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:After Kudzu brought it up a few days ago I put on Reckoning for the first time in years. Damn fine live record. I haven't been able to stop listening. Jerry's vocal on It Must Have Been the Roses is simply amazing.
A personal all-time fave, a criminally overlooked album. My favorite Sunday morning album. Reckoning and Dead Set were what set me off on my long, strange trip
WWCD, curious why you say it is overlooked? Might be my favorite Sunday morning album too. You think it just doesn't get the props it should?

whatwouldcooleydo?

ramonz wrote:
WWCD, curious why you say it is overlooked? Might be my favorite Sunday morning album too. You think it just doesn't get the props it should?
Yeah, it doesn't get the love it should, and also, I think a lot of people have totally overlooked it because it's not electric. Not all heads are aware of their acoustic roots, and that's a shame.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

...On that note, I was just enjoying the acoustic set from 6/7/70 the other day.

whatwouldcooleydo?

211poundsofpork wrote:...On that note, I was just enjoying the acoustic set from 6/7/70 the other day.
those 1970 acoustic sets are especially nice

whatwouldcooleydo?

if the GD still existed I would be selling this shirt in the lot :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

this pic is awesome in so many ways

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

27 years ago today, I saw the Grateful Dead in concert for the second time when they performed at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh. There's lots of lore surrounding this show, the majority of which is true: how they started "Promised Land" back up right where they'd left off due to a hellacious thunderstorm, a bunch of heads forming a line at the top of the hill and then storming it much to the chagrin of the assemblage of NC State Troopers and the tale of Douglas Simmons who'd driven up with friends from Florida for the concert. At one point, he told them he was headed back to their car but to this day he has not been found. It has been theorized that he went on to follow the Dead but even if that's true, it seems like he would have been found by now. As for the show itself, I've seen it written off as mediocre, mid-level Dead. That may be so but that's coming from people who saw them in concert a multitude of times. That day was hot and at times, miserably so (lots of people were being treated for heat exhaustion and the Fire Dept was hosing people down) but as far as live concert experiences go, it was pretty fucking top notch to me.
I was on the far end of the field so I wasn't aware that Bruce Hornsby (who opened) had joined them on stage for a few songs until I heard the Dead interviewed on Rockline a few months later. Then, there's the bittersweetness of Brent Mydland passing just a few weeks later. I went with a group of friends and family and we had a blast. As the skies darkened and the power went out, that was a pretty hairy moment. There was also a brief rain shower but it was a much needed respite from the heat, even if it made it all the more muggy when it let it up. It was mid-summer in North Carolina, it's pretty much what we're used to. There was also a media circus surrounding this concert. I remember hearing about a nude woman running out into traffic on I-40 close to the venue. The officer that pulled her back said he was more embarrassed than she was (I doubt she was all that embarrassed, probably just frightened).
There were also the news reports following the concert that focused on the number of drug arrests that had been made and how the City of Raleigh would never allow the Grateful Dead to ever play there again. If memory serves, the Dead had been trying to stage a show in Raleigh for several years but had never been successful because they hadn't been able to find a venue with "the proper infrastructure." Finally, they did but the local media chose to focus on what they deemed to be the most negative aspects of the Dead, Deadheads and the concert itself. By all measures, it could have been a lot worse but what I witnessed was not that bad at all. Friends I have talked to have said they don't recall the Dead meeting with this sort of media frenzy when they performed in other parts of the country. I probably shouldn't be surprised that they met with it here. Despite the focus on the negative by local media, it remains one of my fondest concert memories. If you so desire, click on the image of my ticket below if you'd like to listen to the show.

1st Set
Jack Straw
Loser
We Can Run
Me and My Uncle
Big River
Friend of the Devil
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Bird Song
Promised Land

2nd Set
Iko Iko
Playin' in the Band
Uncle John's Band
Drums
The Other One
Stella Blue
Not Fade Away

Encore
Brokedown Palace

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:27 years ago today, I saw the Grateful Dead in concert for the second time when they performed at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh. There's lots of lore surrounding this show, the majority of which is true: how they started "Promised Land" back up right where they'd left off due to a hellacious thunderstorm, a bunch of heads forming a line at the top of the hill and then storming it much to the chagrin of the assemblage of NC State Troopers and the tale of Douglas Simmons who'd driven up with friends from Florida for the concert. At one point, he told them he was headed back to their car but to this day he has not been found. It has been theorized that he went on to follow the Dead but even if that's true, it seems like he would have been found by now. As for the show itself, I've seen it written off as mediocre, mid-level Dead. That may be so but that's coming from people who saw them in concert a multitude of times. That day was hot and at times, miserably so (lots of people were being treated for heat exhaustion and the Fire Dept was hosing people down) but as far as live concert experiences go, it was pretty fucking top notch to me.
I was on the far end of the field so I wasn't aware that Bruce Hornsby (who opened) had joined them on stage for a few songs until I heard the Dead interviewed on Rockline a few months later. Then, there's the bittersweetness of Brent Mydland passing just a few weeks later. I went with a group of friends and family and we had a blast. As the skies darkened and the power went out, that was a pretty hairy moment. There was also a brief rain shower but it was a much needed respite from the heat, even if it made it all the more muggy when it let it up. It was mid-summer in North Carolina, it's pretty much what we're used to. There was also a media circus surrounding this concert. I remember hearing about a nude woman running out into traffic on I-40 close to the venue. The officer that pulled her back said he was more embarrassed than she was (I doubt she was all that embarrassed, probably just frightened).
There were also the news reports following the concert that focused on the number of drug arrests that had been made and how the City of Raleigh would never allow the Grateful Dead to ever play there again. If memory serves, the Dead had been trying to stage a show in Raleigh for several years but had never been successful because they hadn't been able to find a venue with "the proper infrastructure." Finally, they did but the local media chose to focus on what they deemed to be the most negative aspects of the Dead, Deadheads and the concert itself. By all measures, it could have been a lot worse but what I witnessed was not that bad at all. Friends I have talked to have said they don't recall the Dead meeting with this sort of media frenzy when they performed in other parts of the country. I probably shouldn't be surprised that they met with it here. Despite the focus on the negative by local media, it remains one of my fondest concert memories. If you so desire, click on the image of my ticket below if you'd like to listen to the show.

1st Set
Jack Straw
Loser
We Can Run
Me and My Uncle
Big River
Friend of the Devil
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Bird Song
Promised Land

2nd Set
Iko Iko
Playin' in the Band
Uncle John's Band
Drums
The Other One
Stella Blue
Not Fade Away

Encore
Brokedown Palace
That was indeed a tremendous show. Interesting that you have seen the show written off as mediocre/mid-level, I've mostly encountered positive accounts. Was living in Chapel Hill then and it was the first time I got to sleep in my own bed after a Dead show (by this point I was over 100 shows into my "career"). We were about 20 rows back on the floor, Jerry side, sound was fucking perfect down there. Not much to add to Kudzu's complete post, it was a great day. Loved them piping in some of the MLB All-Star game during drums/space. Oh yeah, they finished the Other One that they so viciously teased before going into drums 4 days earlier in Louisville. I did Louisville, Raleigh, and RFK and all were great shows and tremendous fun. Came home and saw the Allman Brothers in Raleigh 2 days after RFK. Good times!

Summer tour 90 was when Jerry broke out the cutoff shorts and aqua sox attire. He looked really healthy and was in fine form

I came off my three-show run just as high as could be (not drugs high), had such an amazing time and was so geeked up for fall tour, then just two weeks after RFK hit a wretched low when Brent died. I loved that guy and his death was a tremendous gutpunch

whatwouldcooleydo?

this one is actually from the Raleigh show

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I've seen very few photos from this show. These are a couple that belong to a friend. In the first one, he's enjoying a visit from the Watermelon Lady. I'm not sure if any of y'all that were there encountered her or not.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I've seen very few photos from this show. These are a couple that belong to a friend. In the first one, he's enjoying a visit from the Watermelon Lady. I'm not sure if any of y'all that were there encountered her or not.

Professional photographer Robbi Cohn-- https://deadimages.com/ -- took some nice shots at Carter-Finley. Years ago I was pestering her about buying several of her pics from this show but it fell through (not my doing) and I've never reconnected

I also knew a professional photographer from Raleigh named John Rottet (we traded tapes a ton back around 89-91 when I was living in Chapel Hill) and he took some nice shots there as well. He took some really nice shots at Greensboro shows over the years

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Disc 1
1. New Minglewood Blues [6:20]
2. Dire Wolf [4:35]
3. Cassidy [5:08]
4. Peggy-O [7:23]
5. El Paso [5:21]
6. Tennessee Jed [9:06]
7. Jack Straw [6:08]
8. Row Jimmy [10:37]
9. The Music Never Stopped [8:08]
Disc 2
1. Bertha> [6:52]
2. Good Lovin’ [6:26]
3. Ship Of Fools [7:33]
4. Samson And Delilah [7:48]
Disc 3
1. Terrapin Station> [11:08]
2. Drums> [7:51]
3. The Other One> [16:57]
4. Space> [3:52]
5. St. Stephen> [7:39]
6. Not Fade Away> [14:09]
7. Around And Around [8:57]
8. U.S. Blues [5:53]
10. Uncle John's Band (6:13)

http://www.dead.net/store/special-editi ... =133164806

whatwouldcooleydo?

TW_2.0 wrote:Image

Disc 1
1. New Minglewood Blues [6:20]
2. Dire Wolf [4:35]
3. Cassidy [5:08]
4. Peggy-O [7:23]
5. El Paso [5:21]
6. Tennessee Jed [9:06]
7. Jack Straw [6:08]
8. Row Jimmy [10:37]
9. The Music Never Stopped [8:08]
Disc 2
1. Bertha> [6:52]
2. Good Lovin’ [6:26]
3. Ship Of Fools [7:33]
4. Samson And Delilah [7:48]
Disc 3
1. Terrapin Station> [11:08]
2. Drums> [7:51]
3. The Other One> [16:57]
4. Space> [3:52]
5. St. Stephen> [7:39]
6. Not Fade Away> [14:09]
7. Around And Around [8:57]
8. U.S. Blues [5:53]
10. Uncle John's Band (6:13)

http://www.dead.net/store/special-editi ... =133164806
About fucking time! Such a classic show, one of my all-time faves. the Terrapin>DS>Other One>Close Encounters>St. Stephen is such a wicked stretch of essential GD. the last time we were in Eugene, about a year ago, I made us go out of the way just to pay homage to 1/22/78. Jen's marathoning friends, of course, didn't understand and were probably a little bit weirded out :lol: :lol: :lol: