Never Had Such A Good Time/The Grateful Dead Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Hud

Re: Never Had Such A Good Time/The Grateful Dead Thread

Post by Hud »

Happy Birthday to JERRY! Keep the mother rolling, one more time!
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The Vast Recorded Legacy of the Grateful Dead

The Grateful Dead in San Francisco, in 1970. “Our audience is like people who like licorice,”
Jerry Garcia said. “Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”

Hud

Post by Hud »

I heard 'Black Muddy River' going to work this morning on the radio.....it was like eating good licorice on a Monday morning drive

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

TW_2.0 wrote:Nice new feature on the Drunkard.

Love me some Pigpen

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2013/05/01/dead-notes-1-good-lovin-41771-dillon-gym-princeton/

Nice. Thanks for sharing. This literally made me LOL :

There is a raw stigma that runs parallel with the mention of the Grateful Dead. Far too often the circus surrounding the band trumps the actual music, instead placing more emphasis on skeletons, dancing bears, hacky sacks and other vestiges of the ‘parking lot’ scene. Not to mention Bobby’s shorts.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

My first show was the first Unbroken Chain (Philly 3/19/95) at the tender, young age of 17.. Man, talk about a trip. The crowd eruption during the Unbroken went all the way through set break. The fact that the Dead never really pulled it off is inconsequental. Still one of the biggest rushes of my life.

Phil and his various bands knock the Unbroken out of the park these days. Cool to see so many Dead Heads on this board! Not all that suprising, I suppose.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gaetzi wrote:My first show was the first Unbroken Chain (Philly 3/19/95) at the tender, young age of 17.. Man, talk about a trip. The crowd eruption during the Unbroken went all the way through set break. The fact that the Dead never really pulled it off is inconsequental. Still one of the biggest rushes of my life.

Phil and his various bands knock the Unbroken out of the park these days. Cool to see so many Dead Heads on this board! Not all that suprising, I suppose.

I had a strange relationship with the Jerry and the boys. I was a fan in high school, saw them in 1979 and then went in completely different directions musically. In the meantime my brother and cousins, ranging from 5-9 years younger than me, became big tour heads. In 1991 my brother convinced me to come out to Shoreline in CA for some shows and I saw about 35 over the next 4 years before the end in 1995. Saw tons of post Jerry Dead incarnations all the way up until about 2006 too but it never was the same without the fat man.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Bobby Weir passed out at a show with Further (Weir and Phil Lesh) in Upstate NY (I think DBT played the same theatre recently) this week. Hope he recovers well. He is off the road for a while as Further had to cancel the rest of their tour.

http://bobweir.net/april-30

http://furthur.net/

Kudzu Guillotine

I watched this last night. I love Little Feat and am a longtime Dead fan but I just couldn't get into this for some reason. Nice try though.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXY4QsVHZdM

This is a cool version (the acoustic Weir/Wasserman version), but no one can touch the LF versions.

RMD

Post by RMD »

I just got Dave's Picks Vol. 6 in the mail yesterday. '69 & '70 shows. And it is absolutely amazing stuff. Tapes that were just recently returned to the vault, unheard tapes till now. The set lists were even unknown.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Hud wrote:I heard 'Black Muddy River' going to work this morning on the radio.....it was like eating good licorice on a Monday morning drive

On the radio? Anyway, underrated tune.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

For Derby Day

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

JERRY!!!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Hud

Post by Hud »

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/agdl/days.html

"the singing man is at his song, the holy on their knees..."

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Hud wrote:http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/agdl/days.html

"the singing man is at his song, the holy on their knees..."

I was actually at the Oakland Coliseum for Mardi Gras 1993 when they broke out this song. We also got first time versions of Lazy River Road and Liberty in that run. Days Between has always had a very intense emotional affect on me and it took a couple of years after Jerry kicked it before I could make it through it without getting choked up. The last time I saw it performed live was at Sunday Vegas '95, and Jerry was largely absent. I knew then that there was trouble in paradise. This reminds me of the old sticker that said "Reality is what happens between Dead shows". It is sad that the band never had a chance to fully flesh out this great song in the studio. The only released version that I know of is on the Box Set called "So Many Roads".

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Mardi Gras was always my favorite show of the year.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Kudzu Guillotine

Hour long compilation of Grateful Dead footage from concerts, news programs and MTV circa 1987.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I am reading Blair Jackson's Garcia: An American Life. Probably the best book I've read about The Dead. He does a good job of wading through all of the legends and rumors to present as accurate an account as he can of Garcia's career. He doesn't gloss over the man's personal demons. But the main focus is the music, both with The Dead and the various solo projects.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

Looking forward to seeing this on August 1st. There's a list of theatres here.

On a blistering summer day in 1972, the Grateful Dead took the stage on the grounds of the Oregon Country Fair in Veneta, Ore. for what would become one of the most legendary concerts of the band's storied history. Join us this summer when we screen the previously unreleased concert film "Sunshine Daydream" as part of our now annual Grateful Dead Meet Up At The Movies.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm not sure what's happened but after (for the most part) putting the good ol' Grateful Dead on the shelf for the last ten years I'm slowly returning them to regular rotation. Jerry's guitar can be like manna from heaven in the right frame of mind. I saw a lot of post Jerry Dead incarnations, Phil & Friends and the like but nothing compares to a show from 1972, 1977, 1989 or even some other years. Anything else is just a ghost of the real thing.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Looking forward to seeing this on August 1st. There's a list of theatres here.

On a blistering summer day in 1972, the Grateful Dead took the stage on the grounds of the Oregon Country Fair in Veneta, Ore. for what would become one of the most legendary concerts of the band's storied history. Join us this summer when we screen the previously unreleased concert film "Sunshine Daydream" as part of our now annual Grateful Dead Meet Up At The Movies.

I've got this on VHS. Would be nice if they would release just the concert footage. Really--how many scenes of blissed out hippies do we need
Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

I never did get burnt out on the Dead though I have been surrounded by folks that have tested my patience by playing their music non-stop. Part of why I've never really tired of them may be because there's so much in their catalog (one that continues to grow with each new release from the vault) as well as the diversity of it. Other reasons may be that I'm into very few other bands that fit the jam band mold. Offshoots like Old and In the Way and New Riders of the Purple Sage? Yes, as well as Donna the Buffalo and the Allmans but I've never gone hogwild on that whole genre (or subgenre, as it were). I've also never really made it a point to follow every incarnation of the band post-Jerry. The first Other Ones show I saw in 1996 on the Furthur Festival was the best I've seen but even then I couldn't help but be reminded of Garcia's absence. Shortly after Garcia died Weir said as long as all of the Grateful Dead were performing together, Jerry would be there. I agree but sometimes all I hear is the void he left. That last such show I saw was The Dead in 2004 and for the most part it just wasn't cutting it for me. The best part of that show was Branford Marsalis sitting in on several tunes, especially "Eyes of the World". Otherwise it sounded like a bad cover band (and there were covers aplenty) having a very off night. I've heard good things about Furthur (the band) but can't bring myself to see them. I'd rather get by on my memories of when I saw the real deal. I also gave Dark Star Orchestra a chance on the recommendations of some friends. I admire what they do and think it's a unique twist on the whole tribute thing but the whole thing (audience included) felt like some sort of re-enactment and I just couldn't get into it.

I think the main reasons I've never really gotten into any of these post-Grateful Dead bands or jam bands as a whole is because the Grateful Dead laid down the gauntlet and set the bar so high as to be virtually unreachable. There's also the fingerprint of it all: folk, country, bluegrass, jazz, etc. I saw the Jerry Garcia Band twice without Jerry, the first time being right after he died. I'm glad I went to that one as it was a very emotional experience. During the entire concert there was a line down front as people came up and laid roses on the stage and the JGB back up singers hugged each and every one. There was also the wonder behind the organ, Melvin Seals. However, the most telling part of both times I saw them was that it took two guitarists to play Garcia's parts. I know playing is in the DNA of every member of the Grateful Dead's blood and they'll continue to perform until the day they die. That, I admire greatly but to me, I believe the true legacy of the Grateful Dead is the creation of campfire songs, which is part of the folk tradition. At least that's how I felt after attending a couple MerleFests in the late 90's, one of which involved an all night singalong session around our campfire. It started with just a couple pickers but within the hour nearly everyone within earshot that had an instrument (and quite a few that didn't) began to gather.

To Jonicont's point, I love that footage from Sunshine Daydream. As one of the commentators on YouTube said, it's refreshing to see people at a concert simply enjoying the music without a single cellphone or camera in sight. Personally, I don't mind seeing crowd shots during concerts films as the audience is just as much a part of the experience as the band on stage. A concert without shots of the audience would be like listening to a live album with the crowd noise removed.

Kudzu Guillotine

Nice article from Joanna Colangelo of the Huffington Post about her first Grateful Dead memories.

My Grateful Dead
By Joanna Colangelo
Music journalist

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Kudzu Guillotine

18 years ago today the Grateful Dead played their last show. Click on the ticket stub to listen or download.

Set 1
Touch of Grey
Little Red Rooster
Lazy River Road
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Childhood's End
Cumberland Blues
The Promised Land

Set 2
Shakedown Street
Samson and Delilah
So Many Roads
Samba in the Rain
Corrina
Drums
Space
Unbroken Chain
Sugar Magnolia

Encore
Black Muddy River
Box of Rain

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:18 years ago today the Grateful Dead played their last show. Click on the ticket stub to listen or download.

Set 1
Touch of Grey
Little Red Rooster
Lazy River Road
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Childhood's End
Cumberland Blues
The Promised Land

Set 2
Shakedown Street
Samson and Delilah
So Many Roads
Samba in the Rain
Corrina
Drums
Space
Unbroken Chain
Sugar Magnolia

Encore
Black Muddy River
Box of Rain

I was at this show
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

My last one was on March 24th, 1995 in Charlotte.