Never Had Such A Good Time/The Grateful Dead Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Never Had Such A Good Time/The Grateful Dead Thread

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:18 years ago today the Grateful Dead played their last show. Click on the ticket stub to listen or download.

Set 1
Touch of Grey
Little Red Rooster
Lazy River Road
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Childhood's End
Cumberland Blues
The Promised Land

Set 2
Shakedown Street
Samson and Delilah
So Many Roads
Samba in the Rain
Corrina
Drums
Space
Unbroken Chain
Sugar Magnolia

Encore
Black Muddy River
Box of Rain

I was at this show

Me too. I posted this about it on the book of face:

My one and only Birthday show. I brought my mother and my good friend James Wayman with me for their first show ever but when some girl I barely knew insisted that I take one of her group's 3rd row tickets to head up front for my b-day gift I left poor James with my mom to head up to the stands and bolted for the promised land. At the set break I did rejoin them though and found my mom dancing in the aisles. She didn't like the smell of weed but she dug the tunes after hating on them for years, The show itself was pretty bad except for So Many Roads and Black Muddy River both of which seemed deeply soulful and in retrospect tragic as well. I miss the Dead more on this day than any other.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I thought it was bad too, but assumed that was just because I wasn't a fan
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I thought it was bad too, but assumed that was just because I wasn't a fan

No, it was rough. Jerry was in bad shape but he did come around enough for those two songs I mentioned. Plus it was less than a week after the gate crashing incident at Deer Creek so the mood was a bit dark. Still it was my birthday and my mom danced to the good ol' Grateful Dead so there is that.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

It's easy to look back in retrospect and comment on how bad off Jerry was but in all honesty I had no idea how poor his health as at the time other than it was not good. That said, it seemed like it took forever for him to start singing on "Feel Like A Stranger" at the Charlotte show in '95 and that was with a teleprompter. That was the biggest sign that something was off. Some songs just seemed lackluster while others were stronger. Mainly, I'm just glad I went and that I managed to see the Grateful Dead during my lifetime. I have an older brother that loved their music but was put off by the devotion of the Deadheads. He should have never let that stand in his way as I've never experienced anything like a Grateful Dead show since then and that goes for what was happening onstage as much as what was happening in the crowd and the parking lot.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Honestly I just assumed it was heroin at the time. Didn't really think of him as close to dying or whatever. It was just a little tough to watch some nights while other nights Jerry seemed to shift into a high gear and sound fantastic.

Kudzu Guillotine

I didn't have a clue about the heroin abuse at the time. Same thing when Jimmy Page turned into a toothpick in the 70's though that can be chalked up to outright naivete on my part.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Just recently received the Dead's long awaited release of 8/27/72 Sunshine Daydream. Watched the dvd over the weekend. Really pleased with how this turned out. Excellent release. (Finally have the full show after only having half-ass incomplete tapes for many years!)

RMD

Post by RMD »

211poundsofpork wrote:Just recently received the Dead's long awaited release of 8/27/72 Sunshine Daydream. Watched the dvd over the weekend. Really pleased with how this turned out. Excellent release. (Finally have the full show after only having half-ass incomplete tapes for many years!)
It is great to finally have this show. And it sounds amazing.

Hud

Post by Hud »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnMxvi9W ... pdtomXtPmQ

Enjoying this recently posted show from 12-31-83

Rick Danko and Maria Muldaur on the last few songs (third set?)
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

I haven't listened to the interview but one can only hope they were referring to "The Dead" and not "the Grateful Dead". Either way, it sounds like disaster was narrowly averted.

Bob Weir and Mickey Hart Wanted to Sammy Hagar to Play in The Dead

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

19 years ago today at Soldier Field.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I was there. I was bored. Sorry to say....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

My last show was March 24th in Charlotte, the final evening of a three night stand. Some friends that attended all three said the previous night was best with Bruce Hornsby. I can't say that I suspected anything was up at the time but it seemed like the opening number ("Feel Like A Stranger") went on for a while before someone directed Garcia's attention to the teleprompter, then the vocals kicked in.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Heck, just buy the album (Garcia Vault Vol. 4 - 3/22/78). It's retarded. I highly recommend it. Not only is the Mission in the Rain great, but so is Mystery Train and the Cats Under the Stars stuff (ie. title track and Gomorrah) which I don't think was released yet at that point.

Kudzu Guillotine

Not sure if I'm going to make it to this tomorrow night but I sure would like to, especially considering a DVD release appears to be highly unlikely, at least for the immediate future.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Not sure if I'm going to make it to this tomorrow night but I sure would like to, especially considering a DVD release appears to be highly unlikely, at least for the immediate future.

I grabbed a ticket and will be catching it tonight. I have been looking forward to this one. Europe 72 and the 100 Year Hall boot were what started me listening to the Dead. I love that they just keep finding more and more stuff from that tour. I'm wondering if people will be dancing and doing everything else that went on in the parking lot.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

lajakesdad wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Not sure if I'm going to make it to this tomorrow night but I sure would like to, especially considering a DVD release appears to be highly unlikely, at least for the immediate future.

I grabbed a ticket and will be catching it tonight. I have been looking forward to this one. Europe 72 and the 100 Year Hall boot were what started me listening to the Dead. I love that they just keep finding more and more stuff from that tour. I'm wondering if people will be dancing and doing everything else that went on in the parking lot.

How was it ?
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

TW_2.0 wrote:
lajakesdad wrote:

How was it ?

It was awesome. Seeing that footage on a huge screen with killer sound was really cool. It was an 80 minute set with shorter jams than usual. Highlights for me were Pigpen doing Mr. Charlie and a short little Kreutzmann drum solo into a rippin Other One. I also loved hearing the banter between songs. Jerry was a ball buster and called out for some restarts. He also asked to do Playing in the Band again to see if they could get a "good" version. I really hope they work out the licensing because I'd really like to own this.

1. Bertha
2. Playing In The Band
3. Mr. Charlie
4. Sugaree
5. One More Saturday Night
6. Playing In The Band
7. Beat It On Down the Line
8. Truckin'>
9. Drums>
10. The Other One

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Cleaning out the basement and came across this. Before the days of band t-shirts. Done freehand by my cousin. Probably 1970. Wore it all through senior year

Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Jerry!! (apoloiges, I always forget how to properly link video)

http://www.deadheadland.com/2014/08/01/ ... o-moments/
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Kudzu Guillotine

I have a punk rock friend that abhors the Grateful Dead, or in their words, their fans. Privately, they revealed to me that they like American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Publicly, they're very anti-Grateful Dead and anti-hippie despite (or maybe in spite of) having hippie parents. I never understood why it was so important to put up a front when you actually like the band. I can understand the Deadhead thing somewhat as I've run into a good bit of that with the whole Parrothead phenomenon.

The Grateful Dead Are History’s Most Misunderstood Punk Band

Aaron Lefkove’s Grateful Dead/Misfits/Black Flag/Descendents
tattoo. Courtesy of the author.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Top 20 Dead Shows according to David Fricke.

Pretty good list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/20-essential-grateful-dead-shows-20130408
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

TW_2.0 wrote:Top 20 Dead Shows according to David Fricke.

Pretty good list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/20-essential-grateful-dead-shows-20130408

Not a single show in that list did I attend, but I sure heard a bunch of them.

But the 29th had a special guest: saxophonist Branford Marsalis, who slipped into the lineup for the whole second set with ease and a challenging fire. His keening phrases in "Eyes of the World" – alternating with, then dancing alongside, Garcia's teardrop runs – edge the song toward the progressive-soul temper of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On." Marsalis also enjoys the blowing room in "Dark Star" and fires up some R&B honk and squeal for "Turn On Your Love Light." That "Eyes" came out on the 1990 live release, Without a Net. But the whole set is a gas.

That is my favorite version of Eyes of the World ever. The interplay between Jerry and Branford is other worldly.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I have and enjoy most of the Dead studio albums, but trying to wade into their live catalog, from this perspective (after the fact) seems like a daunting challenge. The standard '72 Europe release is my favorite Grateful Dead item I own, but the stack of Dick's Pick, and other live anthologies seem like it's almost too much.

Would that Fricke list be a good place to start looking for individual shows to check out?

Kudzu Guillotine

If you like their acoustic material, I highly recommend Reckoning. I have a bunch of the live stuff (though that only includes one album from the Dick's Picks series) but I'm not sure if I could pick a favorite. One of my favorites (which includes both live and studio cuts) is the So Many Roads box though I believe it's out of print.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:I have and enjoy most of the Dead studio albums, but trying to wade into their live catalog, from this perspective (after the fact) seems like a daunting challenge. The standard '72 Europe release is my favorite Grateful Dead item I own, but the stack of Dick's Pick, and other live anthologies seem like it's almost too much.

Would that Fricke list be a good place to start looking for individual shows to check out?

The Fricke list is a good one. I also agree with Kudzu on Reckoning. Personally, at this late date, I basically listen to shows from 1972, 1977, 1980, 1989, 1990 (up to Brent's death) and occasionally 1991 with Hornsby and Welnick on grand piano and organ respectively which when it clicked recalled the brief Godchaux-Pigpen era. Without getting to deep there's a ton of 72 stuff out there and a ton of 77 stuff. That's as good a starting spot as any.