Artist of the Week - 12/6/11 - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the Week - 12/6/11 - Ray Wylie Hubbard **REPRI

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:Ray just posted a link to this thread on his Twitter acct and Facebook page. 8-)

I saw that, very nice.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Really nice job Clams. I only have A:Enlightenment B: (whatever) and Snake Farm. I need to dig deeper. (My kids love the title track to Snake Farm)
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Really nice job Clams. I only have A:Enlightenment B: (whatever) and Snake Farm. I need to dig deeper. (My kids love the title track to Snake Farm)

Download the ATS sampler. There's a link in my first post at the beginning of this thread.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

Here's a link to listen to clips from 4 tracks off RWH's new record. They sound good, though 20 or 30 second clips kinda suck. You can also pre-order the CD.

http://www.lonestarmusic.com/index.php? ... Letter=ALL

Clams

Post by Clams »

First track from Ray Wylie's new record. Called Coricidin Bottle. Two minutes of filthy.

https://www.facebook.com/raywyliehubbar ... 8091127385

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Clams wrote:First track from Ray Wylie's new record. Called Coricidin Bottle. Two minutes of filthy.

https://www.facebook.com/raywyliehubbar ... 8091127385

Pure bad ass.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Here's some stuff from RWH's latest email newsletter. With his new record coming out soon, he's ramping up his social media. I don't follow him on twitter, but he's on facebook at least once a day and he's usually pretty interesting/amusing.

The Grifter Sessions

Beginning in late March, Ray's fans will be treated to special broadcasts directly from Ray's living room. The Grifter Sessions will feature Ray telling the story behind a song and then performing the song. A link will be provided by email. Be sure and forward this to friends so they can sign up for this exclusive fan experience. Let your friends know.

From Ray

okay. "laid down a groove like a monkey getting off, stomping on the kick, pounding on the tom." it is one long sentence. there is no period after off. the monkey is getting off (having fun) stomping on the kick drum and pounding on the floor tom. like the monkey in the video. the monkey is not pleasuring himself (or herself as the case may be) in the song. so certain radio stations who bleeped the line or refuse to play it..get your mind out of the gutter and lighten up. get off on the song.
okay. "child, you should of heard the james gang rides again;
it was like shooting salvation and funk into your soul back then." seems reasonable to me.
you gonna have to figure out the jimmy perkins reference but notice the snake farm album is on bordello records now and at one time it was on another label.
the reason all the goofing around and groans at the beginning of 'coochy, coochy' is ringo liked that.
any other questions, just send to the website.
looks like i'm gonna be out on the road all over the place between now and september doing solo, duo, trio and full band gigs. ma hub is running things the head machine in 'the matrix'. kayla is road manager deluxe. jodi is getting me social (i'm enjoying facebook and twitter). lucas wants a gibson reverse firebird. rick and george are gonna do some gigs with joe walsh who i saw play at the troubador in la. ringo starr sat in with joe so now rick has played with levon helm and ringo. i went to the craig ferguson show for ringo's appearance and the studio is tiny. brent carpenter and i are still working on a film project ( its dark and damn funny).
anyhow 'the grifter's hymnal' comes out like the little critter from the guy's chest in 'alien' on march 27th.
thanks, rwh

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

From Couch by Couchwest:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

Goddamn, this was a fun album to review:

http://www.jambands.com/reviews/cds/2012/03/28/ray-wylie-hubbard-the-grifter-s-hymnal

Conversation with ol' Ray Wylie coming up.
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Crustyharp wrote:Goddamn, this was a fun album to review:

http://www.jambands.com/reviews/cds/2012/03/28/ray-wylie-hubbard-the-grifter-s-hymnal

Great review of a great record, Crusty. But with all due respect, I think 4sooner's review is just a tad more succinct:

4sooner wrote:3 Words:

FUCKING
IN
CREDIBLE!!

:D

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Great Tweet from Ray last night:

Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote:This blond college age girl said: sign my right boob. I said: I'd rather not. I wouldn't feel right. She said: your son signed the left one

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Great Tweet from Ray last night:

Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote:This blond college age girl said: sign my right boob. I said: I'd rather not. I wouldn't feel right. She said: your son signed the left one

Speaking of his son (Lucas) that's him playing lead on Coricin Bottle and on my favorite off the new record, Mother Blues (playing that "Les Paul Gold Top" - listen to Mother Blues and you'll get the reference)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cool new RWH interview w/ a good Ringo Starr story...

http://www.lonestarmusic.com/magazine/m ... 2/rwh.html

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote:so i'm at the dentist having some work done on a damaged tooth and the nurse asks me if i want nitrous oxide and i hear witchy woman playing through the sound system and realize they have tuned in to a classic rock station so i say yeah . then for what its worth comes on and she puts on the mask and off i go. at some point after a while in oz land and i don't know the name of it but an abba song comes into the groovy ether like world i'm in and i get (the only way to say it and i know it makes me sound like an old hippie but no other word works) 'bummed out.' i must have made some kind noise of discomfort cause the dentist asked if i was ok. i point at the mask on my nose and give a hand signal to hit me with more gas.
leaving the dentist office it comes to me that having 4 stitches in my gums and a pretty bad pain in my left jaw seems minor to the hurt knowing that somewhere a program directer of a classic rock station could even think that abba rocks.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I don't know if anyone heard any of Ray's Grifter's Hymnal specials on the Outlaw Country channel but I managed to catch a good portion of one during SXSW a few weeks back when he was interviewing Eric Burdon of the Animals. Eric told a story of being seated next to a pregnant woman somewhere who turned to him and said, in reference to "We Gotta Get Out of this Place", "I hate what you did to my song". It then dawned on Eric that the woman he was sitting next to was none other than Cynthia Weil who co-wrote the tune with Barry Mann back in the 60's. If I remember correctly, as she got up and walked away she said, "but I learned to love it". Of course, the question Ray posed to Eric was prompted by something Springsteen said during his keynote speech about how "We Gotta Get Out of this Place" was "every song I ever wrote". That was a great interview as well as a learning experience for me because I always thought that tune was an Animals original. To quote Eric, "I don't think (Weil & Mann) knew what they had with that song". I'm glad he and the Animals knew how to take it to the right place.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote:so i'm at the dentist having some work done on a damaged tooth and the nurse asks me if i want nitrous oxide and i hear witchy woman playing through the sound system and realize they have tuned in to a classic rock station so i say yeah . then for what its worth comes on and she puts on the mask and off i go. at some point after a while in oz land and i don't know the name of it but an abba song comes into the groovy ether like world i'm in and i get (the only way to say it and i know it makes me sound like an old hippie but no other word works) 'bummed out.' i must have made some kind noise of discomfort cause the dentist asked if i was ok. i point at the mask on my nose and give a hand signal to hit me with more gas.
leaving the dentist office it comes to me that having 4 stitches in my gums and a pretty bad pain in my left jaw seems minor to the hurt knowing that somewhere a program directer of a classic rock station could even think that abba rocks.
:lol:
He posts great stuff like that on FB and (I think) Twitter all the time.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

"A Few Pages From The Grifter's Hymnal" - shootin' the shit with Ray Wylie:

http://www.jambands.com/features/2012/04/27/ray-wylie-hubbard-a-few-pages-from-the-grifter-s-hymnal/
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

He is heading my way in a few weeks.
Found this one digging around in musicfog.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Mr. Clams, I read your interview at the time you posted it, but I just realized that I didn't comment on it at the time. I know you were nervous going in, but I think you did a great job. He seems like a good enough dude to interview, but it wasn't necessarily easy. Some dude will ramble and give you lots of stuff, so you can edit and make it all sound great. RWH was more concise, but he gave shorter answers, yet they were decent and interesting answers because you gave him some good questions. Good stuff, man.

Clams

Post by Clams »

pearlysnaps wrote:Mr. Clams, I read your interview at the time you posted it, but I just realized that I didn't comment on it at the time. I know you were nervous going in, but I think you did a great job. He seems like a good enough dude to interview, but it wasn't necessarily easy. Some dude will ramble and give you lots of stuff, so you can edit and make it all sound great. RWH was more concise, but he gave shorter answers, yet they were decent and interesting answers because you gave him some good questions. Good stuff, man.

Thanks Pearly!

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Late to the party here, but God DAMN Grifter's Hymnal is a great record! Some of these tunes even have a Patterson vibe about them. Loving this. Was familiar with him via JJW, but wrote him off as a solo act years ago because I bought that Cowboy Twinkies record or whatever it's called and, well, you know the rest. But yeah, this new one is on constant rotation right now. AWESOME.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I stoled this from No Depression...

He ended up with that Les Paul gold top
And what's he do?
He plays an SG, ahhhhh

Clams

Post by Clams »

Ray Wylie's gonna be on Letterman tonight. Dave has requested Mother Blues and RWH's got it down to the required 3:30 for the show. Said he bought himself a new jacket and resoled his boots, so he's all set. He sounds very psyched. Here's yesterday's newsletter:

A Word From Ray....

yippeeee! newsletter time. got mother blues down to 3 mins 30 secs for late night with david letterman wed jan 9th. cut out the metaphor verse but i still think it makes sense. lucas and kyle and jon michael are ready and able. for young cats they got chops and are as cool as steve mcqueen jumping the fence in 'the great escape'. got a new jacket and my boots resoled so i'm ready as i'm gonna be. i am still impressed in that dave requested we do mother blues.
grit and groove april 6th 2013. don't think there's gonna be a hipper cooler line up than hayes carll, ben kweller, the dirty river boys, the trishas, the wheeler brothers, dustin welch, uncle lucius and my funky old hip self. these are bands that impress me cause they are full grown writers with teeth who deliver when they play rather than just show off. it gonna be a great day of the best music you ever heard. really. i mean it. word.
thanks once again to all who came out to my gigs this last year and bought the grifter's album.
peace and respect to all, rwh

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Awsome, dvr is set, can't wait to hear about the fine stripper girl friend.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Looking great and sounding great. Sounds like they had to speed things up to get it down to that 3:30. I like how the camera gets both Ray and his son playing that "Les Paul Goldtop" in the shot there near the end. Good stuff!!

Clams

Post by Clams »

After Ray and the bands appearance on the Late Show with Dave Letterman; Dave asked Ray to perform "Screw You We're From Texas' for an exclusive video on the CBS website;
check it out here!
http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_show/vide ... ie-hubbard

such a cool cat

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
After Ray and the bands appearance on the Late Show with Dave Letterman; Dave asked Ray to perform "Screw You We're From Texas' for an exclusive video on the CBS website;
check it out here!
http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_show/vide ... ie-hubbard

such a cool cat

Yup.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

more...
it worth mentioning again that when we went out to set up, dave came over from his desk to where we were and asked if i knew guy clark, i said yes. he said i like him. i said me too. i told him that when i opened for guy a few months ago that guy had told me we were getting at that age where we could hide our own easter eggs. dave then told that to the crowd right before the commercial was over. he was really gracious and when he asked me if i would do screw you, i said of course cept lucas had to retune from open e to regular.
he really seemed to sincerely enjoy both songs and the crew, sound guys, paul's band and staff were just about the nicest people i can remember working with. they had homemade fresh cookies backstage.
we then went over to do the east side dave radio podcast i tunes thing he does with roy harter. i never did figure out what it was but we did laugh. you can find it out there somewhere.
i was touched when mattson rainer and kim and josh jones and kimberley and jeremy from outlaw country showed up at the ed sullivan theater for the taping. also my older son cory showed up with his new bride so it really was a damn fine day. hey hanks to everybody. lemme get some sleep and i'll answer whatever questions you ask with in a day or too. rwh

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

"The problem with irony is not everybody gets it."