Artist of the Week - 12/6/11 - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gang Green

Re: Artist of the Week - 12/6/11 - Ray Wylie Hubbard **REPRI

Post by Gang Green »

That was shit hot, thanks for posting

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

Saw RWH for the first time last night at Proud Larry's here in Oxford and man did he put on a great show.

So glad I got to see him and am looking forward to seeing him again in Memphis this summer.

He played a lot off the new record, which is awesome, and his stage banter kept me rolling all night.

At one point fans were shouting out songs and he said something like "I didn't know I turned it over to requests."

He played "Mississippi Flush" and I thought about the Hayes Carll story he shared in the interview with 3DD.

After the show I told him "It sure is nice of you to keep playing 'Mississippi Flush' by Hayes man."

He laughed and said "Yeah, he did real good on that one."

I'm just glad he got the joke and it didn't fall flat.

I thanked him for the show and for taking the time to answer the questions from 3DD.

"Aww, y'all are welcomed. You know how to reach me. Keep in touch."

Such a cool cat.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Well it only took 29 months since this thread started, but finally getting to see him tonight. Can't wait
Always go to the show

Clams

Re: Artist of the Week - 12/6/11 - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Post by Clams »

I just reread that interview, holy crap did Ray and I do a great job or what? :mrgreen:

Seeing him tomorrow night in Sellersrville, PA and, like jonicont, I cannot fucking wait.
Last edited by Clams on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Ray on acoustic, son on goldtop and another youngster on snare,highhat and a mini bass drum. They made a lot of music. Great stuff. Ray is quite the entertainer and storyteller. Lovely young lady (Kelley Mckwee) with a guitar and great voice opened. She's right up your alley Clams. For those of you interested, check back in a few days for a very nice recording
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great show last night. Now I can finally cross RWH off my bucket list. He's got a pretty slick show - in addition to greasy slide guitars and finger pickin, you get stories and a comedy show to boot. I'm sure he's told all those stories and one liners a million times, but I swear every single one of them worked. I was surprised that he didn't play much from Grifter's Hymnal, but he did play a bunch of great songs like Snake Farm, Ballad of the Crimson Kings, a Redneck Mother singalong, and a bunch of great songs I don't know the titles of. He closed his set with a great version of The Messenger (which he picked as his favorite in his own catalogue in the 3dd interview) and then did an asskicking Choctaw Bingo for an encore. Interesting that I've been to the Sellersville Theater twice and Choctaw was played both times (once by McMurtry and last night by RWH). Also interesting that in the past 6 weeks I've seen both of the cowriters of the song Drunken Poets Dream (Hayes Carll and Ray Wylie) play it live. It was also great to see Ray's totally cool son Lucas playing "that gold top Les Paul" - check out the song Mother Blues if you don't get the reference.

The only negative on the night was the fucking rain. Sellersville is way up in the no man's land between Philly and the Lehigh Valley so it's a good 45 miles north of where I live. We got almost 6 inches of rain yesterday so there was serious flooding everywhere. I couldn't leave my house until 745 and got there just before 9 when Ray was just into his first song. Even worse, I had to go solo because my wing man for the night was supposed to be Worldwide Bill, and he made it from CT to about Newark, NJ before having to turn around and go home due to the conditions.

Very, very glad to finally catch the man live.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

here ya go. missed the first 2 songs. some rumbling in the left channel (mild) during the banter at the end of tracks 3-5. was trying to reposition mic, had a yelper behind me

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x12lak

as per a friend

Setlist:
Drunken Poet's Dream,
Down Home Country Blues,
Train Yard,
Name Droppin',
Count My Blessings,
Mother Blues,
Ballad of the Crimson Kings,
(New Song),
Cooler-N-Hell,
Redneck Mother,
Wanna Rock and Roll,
The Messenger,
Choctaw Bingo.
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

FB update from the man. Sounds like a new record is in the works.

4 days, 8 songs tracked..maybe redo one guitar part..wha? wha? you kidding. ray, man how you do that?..some bands take months or even years to make a record. thats fast..do you just not care? oh yeah, i care. i wont put out anything less than what i feel is righteous.. and this thing sounds like it was blessed from the tone and groove gods themselves with george reiff engineering, ol rick richards drumming, lucas and gabe rhodes doing the guitar sliding and bending like they do..and me warbling and doing the dead thumb thing on the 1937 gibson L37 and the 1929 gibson hg00 and the 1935 supro spanish electric through the 59 vibrolux..well how could it not sound cool.
next week, kyle to do some drumming and then a little later brandy dzan gonna do some guitar squall and i may have some other guests that might say yes if i pout and threaten to hold my breath.
its really something to see these songs fire up after they only been sung in this loft i got that i write 'em in..and i know the record i'm making ain't gonna be on any billboard chart or even make this local texas music chart that's around down here but that's okay..i didn't write 'em for that reason..i wrote 'em cause i had no choice..
you don't care about the charts, ray?
nope. don't care bout 'em at all.
what i do care about is making a record so even the one with just acoustic guitar, mandolin, echo harp, tambourine and a card board box used as a kick drum still rocks.
and i believe it do.
anyhow got tomorrow night with the wheeler bros and the old crow medicine show so that should rock some.
find a groove and decorate it with some grit.
yours truly,
rwh

Clams

Post by Clams »

Ray Wylie on facebook a few days ago:

whoop dee do..whew..3 perfectamundo gigs. houston thurs, la grange fri & sat.. was indeed a time.
guess who showed up at the bugle boy sat? huh? huh? give up? okay. dan dority from deadwood. thats right. w. earl brown hisself and i got him to come up on stage and sing 'long black veil'. he wasn't acting like a singer, he was one.
he's in austin till dec doing acting and he said he'd come sing again at the gig at the state theater in nov..i forgot to tell him bout unplugged at the grove before that so maybe he'll show up then too.
hey. i wanna say something here and i'm not just sucking up or using flattery to sell some stuff i got for sell somewhere..the people that come to my gigs are damn great and downright nice. i really do enjoy meeting y'all and talking to you about my songs.
you probably all know i've never had a song on the country charts or even the texas charts and in the 70's, if you hadn't heard of jerry jeff walker..then you hadn't heard of me.
yep.
back in those days,the only song i was known for was 'up against the wall, redneck mother' cause jerry jeff left bob livingston saying 'this song is by ray wylie hubbert'' on his 'viva terlingua' album at the beginning of the song..so i'd go in these old texas honky tonks and walk on stage and the crowd would yell ''play 'redneck mother' ..i'd play it and after i finished i'd say 'for my second song here's one i wrote about''...and the crowd would yell ''play 'redneck mother' again.''
i guess the internet and serius/xm and facebook and twitter and you tube and the cool npr and community and americanna radio stations that don't play 'hot new country' have been responsible for helping people hear my other gnarly old songs.
so however you heard of me, whether buying the cds or or if someone burned you one or you down loaded one or you heard me on some cool radio station or you turned over a rock and there i was..well however you did, and since more than likely i ain't gonna be giving an acceptance speech at an awards show anywhere or anytime soon or ever, thanks for being there..and here..
yours truly,
rwh

Clams

Post by Clams »

Ray's just finished recording and sequencing a new record. Here's his description of it:

metaphorically, if the record was a woman..well, it wouldn't be gussy up'd wearing mascara or rouge and tight pants..its gonna be going to the dance in torn stockings and old bloomers and blonde hair with black roots ratted up

sounds like my kinda record

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Ray's just finished recording and sequencing a new record. Here's his description of it:

metaphorically, if the record was a woman..well, it wouldn't be gussy up'd wearing mascara or rouge and tight pants..its gonna be going to the dance in torn stockings and old bloomers and blonde hair with black roots ratted up

sounds like my kinda record

Dude! Wear protection! I guess that means ear plugs or something.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

New song from RWH's upcoming record streaming here...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premi ... m-20150204

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Ruffian's Misfortune reminds me a lot of of Grifter's Hymnal - some similar riffs, the vocal cadence - but what the hell, that record was great so I don't really mind. I don't think there's anyone going right now who plays the down low dirty greasy blues like Ray Wylie Hubbard and his band. Another thing I love about him that's on full display here is how he's got this heightened spirituality - songs about heaven and hell, living and dying, faith, sinning, god, you name it - but without any notion of religion or preachiness. He's like a shaman poet. And you really get the feeling that he's lived, or at least knows of, the heavy shit he's singing about. RWH is one of my absolute favorites and I think he's got another great record here.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Clams wrote: Ruffian's Misfortune reminds me a lot of of Grifter's Hymnal - some similar riffs, the vocal cadence - but what the hell, that record was great so I don't really mind. I don't think there's anyone going right now who plays the down low dirty greasy blues like Ray Wylie Hubbard and his band. Another thing I love about him that's on full display here is how he's got this heightened spirituality - songs about heaven and hell, living and dying, faith, sinning, god, you name it - but without any notion of religion or preachiness. He's like a shaman poet. And you really get the feeling that he's lived, or at least knows of, the heavy shit he's singing about. RWH is one of my absolute favorites and I think he's got another great record here.
excellent post.

Clams

Post by Clams »

4 out of 5 stars from American Songwriter....

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2015/ ... isfortune/

Clams

Post by Clams »

Not sure if this link will work but here's the vid for Chick Singer Badass Rockin'. Too many chick singer shout-outs to count. The chick singer here is Carson McHone who's from Austin and sings backup on the song. Gotta love the clapping monkey when he sings the "Nashville country" line.

what have i not been up to? sleeping. oh well.
i probably don't need to tell you that main st. in tomball was great but i will anyway. it was great.
the guitar pickup thing i said i'd do next will have to wait but soon..
okay the video:
shot it with 8mm app at george reiff's studio/house back amp room and front vocal room.
carson mchone of course. think that is a threadgills dang me shirt.
it is a 1965 vibro champ she is setting up.
plugs it into the brown box and is a broadcaster rather than a telecaster (i lied).
richard skanse shot the black and white and him and george both make a quick cameo.
the leather pouch the slide is in is mine and was made by brandy zdan (see the slide guitar in her glasses?).
okay, carson wasn't drinking..that was george's liquor on the floor by the mic stand.
the joan jett hot wheels big rig: cost $19.95. money well spent if i say so myself.
now dig this.. timed it so picture of judy shows up when i sing the word goddess..smart huh? keep mama happy.
thats lucas and gabe at the zone probably not playing that song but it works..
an engraved A harmonica from the man hisself charlie musselwhite to me. coolito.
thats my copy of ''i'm your man'' by sylvie simmons and i do have about 40 pages dog eared..is my switchblade too.
the rev billy gibbons and me in fort worth.
a little statue with the price tag still on it.
my old leather pants too. still fit in 'em.
the monkey! its the monkey! from 'coricidin bottle' and 'south of the river'! yeaaa! since i couldn't find a real piss ant, why not the monkey?! perfect timing, ray. yeah, i know.
alan durham sex drive pedal and the brown box again.
now i ain't gonna name all the beautiful cool women who i respect so much in the outro montage. you all should make the effort to figure our who they are and find and listen to them. i didn't ask permission but i think they'll be okay with it..
me in mirror..
monkey again! took a little work to get perfect timing with the last crash cymbal.
fade to black.
thanks.
rwh

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

From Texas Monthly

“Redneck Mother” (1973)
WRITTEN BY: RAY WYLIE HUBBARD
RECORDED BY: JERRY JEFF WALKER

Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and Terry Ware in Dallas circa 1975.
COURTESY OF RAY WYLIE HUBBARD

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

nice post, kg.

bellevillemusic

Post by bellevillemusic »

Clams wrote:A Truer Sound has a TON of good Ray Wylie stuff. Live shows, old studio stuff, vids, discussions about lyrics, show reviews etc. Here's everything they've got with a Ray Wylie tag: http://atruersound.com/?tag=ray-wylie-hubbard
They've also got a post with an excellent Ray Wylie sampler from a couple years ago. The post is here: http://atruersound.com/?p=102 and the sampler is here: http://depositfiles.com/files/clcgldevh
Just for kicks, one of my favorite ATS posts about Ray Wylie is from a year or two ago where they posted a Youtube that shows the "proper" way for a woman to dance to the song Snake Farm:
Hey y'all,
I've yet to go down the RWH rabbit hole, but after seeing Hayes Carll for the first time this week in Berkeley, Ca. I need to fix that, but quick. Big fan of Hayes, owning both KMAG & Trouble, but after all the stage banter about Ray, and a couple cursory listens I want to delve further. I ordered 'The Grifter's Hymnal' and was looking forward to DLing "the best of" available from A TRUER SOUND, but that's been down for awhile now. Can I get a re-up or even better, a songlist of must haves? Haven't been on 3DD for a year or so, but I knew I needed to come here if I wanted to learn more about Ray.

Clams

Post by Clams »

bellevillemusic wrote:
Clams wrote:A Truer Sound has a TON of good Ray Wylie stuff. Live shows, old studio stuff, vids, discussions about lyrics, show reviews etc. Here's everything they've got with a Ray Wylie tag: http://atruersound.com/?tag=ray-wylie-hubbard
They've also got a post with an excellent Ray Wylie sampler from a couple years ago. The post is here: http://atruersound.com/?p=102 and the sampler is here: http://depositfiles.com/files/clcgldevh
Just for kicks, one of my favorite ATS posts about Ray Wylie is from a year or two ago where they posted a Youtube that shows the "proper" way for a woman to dance to the song Snake Farm:
Hey y'all,
I've yet to go down the RWH rabbit hole, but after seeing Hayes Carll for the first time this week in Berkeley, Ca. I need to fix that, but quick. Big fan of Hayes, owning both KMAG & Trouble, but after all the stage banter about Ray, and a couple cursory listens I want to delve further. I ordered 'The Grifter's Hymnal' and was looking forward to DLing "the best of" available from A TRUER SOUND, but that's been down for awhile now. Can I get a re-up or even better, a songlist of must haves? Haven't been on 3DD for a year or so, but I knew I needed to come here if I wanted to learn more about Ray.
A Truer Sound was a great site but the guy who ran it shut it down and killed all of his links a few years ago. Are you on Spotify? If so, here's a Ray Wylie playlist I made that you can use:

bellevillemusic

Post by bellevillemusic »

Clams wrote:
bellevillemusic wrote:
Hey y'all,
A Truer Sound was a great site but the guy who ran it shut it down and killed all of his links a few years ago. Are you on Spotify? If so, here's a Ray Wylie playlist I made that you can use:
Hey Clams....thanks.
I'm not on spotify, but if you can copy/paste the song selections here, i will go out in the marketplace and DL. I can see that you are all over this thread. I trust you. ;)
Thanks !

EDIT - all done. thanks for the recommendations via your playlist. !!

Clams

Post by Clams »

bellevillemusic wrote:
EDIT - all done. thanks for the recommendations via your playlist. !!
Cool, check back after you've listened a bit and lemme know what you think.

Clams

Post by Clams »

wha? opening for bad company and joe walsh? ray, how this come about?
oh, you know..joe called me and asked me to come down and do 20 minutes of that greazyness that i do.
wow. cool. why you figure he did that?
well the reason might be because i gave him the bell&howell speaker with the stormberg carlson amplifier mounted inside it that i used on the recording of snake farm a few years ago.
he had asked me about what amp i used on that and i told him and he said it was one badass cool tone...after that i felt he should have it.
now when i gave it to him i told him to be sure not to leave it on without surveillance cause every time you plug it in, it smells like burnt electrical wiring.
ah, but the tone..the tone..
i got a couple more anyway..
then again he likes snake farm.
anyhow just gonna be me and kyle cause of the necessity of getting the gear off stage as soon as possible.
now before any body hits me up for tickets i have given my four guest passes to cody canada and shannon and their two critters, dierks and willy
cody doeth haveth a rock and rollth heart.
should be a fun night.
i plan on using the 61 super with the brown box adapter which squeezes the most beautiful badassyest tone out them speakers like they was some pastry chefs squirting one of those dessert decorating tools on a cake they was making for the queen of england..
hmmm..reaching a little far for that weren't ya, ray.
yeah. i guess.
but that amp and brown box go good together.
anyhow i figure i'll play the black es335 and take the sunburst es345 as a backup in case i break a string.
no acoustic and no direct box, baby..roll the amp out, plug it in, mic it, throw down the tuner and the alan durham sex drive pedal, tell 'em just my vocal in the monitor and gimme that happy smile mix which means take out the mids, put a mic in the kick, one overhead and sound check is over, go backstage, hang, if no introduction, go cold and flick off the stand by switch and play one of my favorite lightnin hopkins' licks and then go into rabbit and kyle comes in and then we righteous as joan of arc singing a hymn waiting for the pile of wood to be lit.
we get it, ray. you don't have to go that far to tell us you got a cool gig and you planning on making some rock.
oh, sorry..you know..kinda excited bout it.
any how i'll keep you posted.
yours truly,
rwh

Clams

Post by Clams »

so i driving thursday and judy calls and says eric church wants you to come up to dallas and sing 'screw you, we're from texas' with him at his american airlines colosseum gig. i say 'colosseum?; she says you know, whatever they call it.
just so you know i have never met eric or even talked to him.
i know who he is cause he mentioned me in a song of his called 'mr misunderstood.
i heard about this one night when i was messing with a guitar lick on the couch and judy was watching 'criminal minds.'
i get a text from caitlin everden the great young fiddle player who used to play with taylor swift when she was country that i met in california at a gig and she texted that she is at a big televised country award show in nashvile and eric church is singing about me.
i say judy, 'eric church is singing about me on tv right now.'
she says, 'don't think about changing the channel, dog..spencer and jj are about to grab the serial killer.'
so i see it the next day on youtube.
well thats cool and i am impressed and honored as he mentions me with elvis costello and jeff tweedy.
so we drive up and get there and we got our own dressing room and i took lucas' es335 with the whammy bar and i wish i could remember all his crews names but can't. anyhow his stage guy takes me down and he tapes a wireless rig on my strap and his sound guy asks if i brought my own in ear monitors or if not they have some generic ones. i say well i don't have any as i've never used them. he says we kinna figured you were old school so we rented some monitor wedges for you that we'll set up before you go out.
so then eric shows up under the stage where the guitar tech is and he thanks me for doing this and i say how did i end in that song?
he says when he was writing it with casey beathard, the vinyl albums he had on his turntable were me and elvis costello and jeff tweedy.
we walk up on stage and i meet his band and they asked about the arrangement and i says its in E, no third, it thinks about going to an A chord but doesn't and its verse, chorus, ride, verse, chorus, ride, verse, chorus, chorus, tag, fall apart ending.
they nod and say got it.
i start it, eric and his guys fall in and it doth rock.
after the echo of the last note dies off eric says i discovered the 13th floor elevators because you mentioned them in this song. i say yeah i saw them play at a sorority house in arlington in 66 and they were the coolest band i'd ever seen.
he meets judy and they hit it off and i got to say that his crew were so accommodating and professional and kept asking up if we needed anything. top notch pros.
so we went to eat with the crew and hang and then the show starts and the colosseum is sold out and this audience loves the eric church guy. they go nuts.
he plays hour and half and then a twenty min break and the second set starts.
he does this song 'jack daniels' and then i go strap on the 335 and the song ends and the crew set up the monitors and mic and i couldn't hear eric's intro for me but i guess he said something nice and i walk out and its an E ticket ride at disneyland. we do the song and it explodes like the volcano above pompeii.
it was indeed fun. after a cool ragged just right fall apart rude ending eric comes over and hugs me and says ''thank you so much for doing this."
i say it was my pleasure and we can't stay for the rest of the show as we gotta drive back to wimberley. he says cool, travel safe. he says thanks again.
i walk back down the stairs and the crew slaps me on the back and rave about it and they take off the wireless rig.
we go back to the room and his manager says take all the swag stuff from the dressing room with us. he walks us out to my van and we are loaded down with hats, t-shirts, candles, a couple of his merch bottle openers (eric church key..get it?) a flower arrangement, a full coffee thermos so we wouldn't go to sleep on the way.
we got back home bout 3 something.
judy told me today that when eric introduce me, she teared up.
so there you go.
my undying thanks to eric church for asking me to do this.
i've been fortunate enough to have experienced some incredible moments during my old life and have shared the stage with some amazing musicians though out my so called career but this..this was a doing of paramount quality unmatched.
keep the faith.
yours truly,
ray wylie

worrierking

Post by worrierking »

I am pretty new to 3DD. Threads like this will make me want to stick around. I really enjoyed reading all this stuff from way back.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

worrierking wrote:I am pretty new to 3DD. Threads like this will make me want to stick around. I really enjoyed reading all this stuff from way back.
The AotW was always a lot of fun. We should bring it back on maybe a not so strict schedule. Plenty of artists we haven't covered.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
worrierking wrote:I am pretty new to 3DD. Threads like this will make me want to stick around. I really enjoyed reading all this stuff from way back.
The AotW was always a lot of fun. We should bring it back on maybe a not so strict schedule. Plenty of artists we haven't covered.
One of these days I'm going to AOTW The Yawpers.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I was actually thinking the same thing the other day. I'm willing to run it again. Will make a post about it tonight.

PS - Iowan you're hired for the Yawpers. Pick a date and let me know.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

New song from the upcoming album: Tell The Devil I'm Gettin' There As Fast As I Can.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be