Lost Treasures from the 80's

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gang Green

Lost Treasures from the 80's

Post by Gang Green »

Thanksgiving is a time of sharing and I want to share with you my lost treasures from 80’s when I was at the peak of my record buying abilities. Like most of you who were listening to music in the 80’s, I was huge fan of the Replacements, Husker Du, The Smiths, The Fall, The Pogues, REM, The Violent Femmes and Tom Waits (the Island years). Of course, the legacy of these bands lasted well past the 80’s as people today still talk about these bands.

But, as I was going through my old vinyl during a day off from work, I came across albums that I loved and/or that were used on all my mixed tapes whose legacies didn’t make it much past the 80’s. Some of these bands could all be going strong for all I know, but I've lost track of them. At the risk of embarrassing myself, here goes:

Fishbone EP – Fishbone: This is one of my favorite albums of the 80’s and I saw them twice at the 9:30 Club in Washington D.C . in 1985. They were a group of young African Americans from California who had many musical influences, a product of school busing in the 70’s. This particular EP was heavily ska based and I was a huge fan of the British Ska movement in the late 70’s. Plus, they added a little funk and hard rock to the mix. Every song on the album is great and the lead singer was a supremely talented performer. They had some follow-ups, but, I gave-up on them after the first follow-up as I didn’t like the direction they were headed.

Born, Sandy, Devotional – The Triffids: In the 80’s there was nice little Australian movement which included the Celibate Rifles, Ed Kuepper and, my favorite, The Triffids. I loved this album to death. It’s kind of an Australian Echo and the Bunnymen. “Seabirds” and “Lonely Stretch” were my favorites and the cover made want to visit Australia with I never did. This album was is regarded as a top album of all time in Australia, but you don’t hear much about the Triffids much in this neck of the woods.

Rockabilly Psychosis and the Garage Disease – Compilation: This album of rockabilly (American) music was produced in London in 1984 where, believe it or not, there was a big rockabilly movement. The kids in London were all dressing like they were from the American heartland, and this album was a top selling Indie album. Of course, the music spans several decades and includes tracks from the Gun Club and the Cramps, but my favorite stuff is the early stuff which includes, “Love Me” by the Phantom, “Surfin Bird” by the Trashman, “Pycho” by the Sonics and “The Crusher” by the Novas. In fact, when I played “The Crusher” for my boys when they were little they would laugh hysterically.

The Man – Bill Drummond: Bill Drummond was a very outspoken Scotsman, who, actually, made a big splash in the late 80’s and early 90’s in the UK with his controversial band, or whatever it was, KLF. I’m not sure what that was all about. This album is somewhat more traditional folk music, but not quite, but the Triffids backed him on this album. One song was called “Julian Cope is Dead,” and, I understand, Julian Cope had a response on one of his albums.

Hole – Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel: aka Jim Thirlwell, Clint Ruin or Jim Foetus, he was a one man performance artist, industrial type guy sort of like Nine Inch Nails, but even more warped. “Lust for Death” and “Water Torture” were two of my favorites, but this album kicked ass. Okay, maybe “Hot Horse” was a bit much. I also had “Nail,” then Foetus kept changing his name and I lost track. He might still be around for all I know.

Herbman Hustling – Sugar Minott: I spent the early 80’s pretty much obsessed with Reggae music, and, in the end, my favorite ended being Sugar Minott who was, in my mind, king of the dance hall. I got to see him live at Kilimanjaro in Washington, DC and it was the first show I went to by myself. The 80’s were a great time for the Dance Hall Style as other greats included Frankie Paul and Half Pint.

Groovy Hate Fuck (feel good about your body) – Pussy Galore: Jon Spencer’s band before Jon Spencer’s Blues Explosion which was one of my favorite 90’s albums. I can’t say I actually liked Groovy Hate Fuck, but I bought the album for two reasons. First, I worked with the drummer at a large and highly prestigious DC law firm. We were both paralegals, or gophers might be the right term. Second, I really wanted to hear what the song “Pretty Fuck Look” sounded like. Maybe the song wasn’t all that great, but what a great title.

My Ever Changing Moods – Style Council: I’m probably the only fan of the Style Council that admits to being a fan of the Style Council. I became a monstrous Jam fan about the time The Jam broke-up, so I was primed for the Style Council. I love the song “My Ever Changing Moods, “ and the album of the same name. If I hear it I’ll sing it and loud. Also, liked “The Paris Match” and “You’re the Best Thing.” Style Council had a successful follow-up with “My Favorite Shop” UK version or “Internationalist” US release which I loved then everyone decided they hated the Style Council including Paul Weller himself. Well, I still love the Style Council, and I don’t care what anyone thinks.

Go Go Crankin, Paint the White House Black – Complilation: Yes, during, just about, all of the 80’s I was living in Washington DC which was then the murder capital of the world. But, there was a local music scene in those rough sections of town which sported big bands with lots of percussion which mixed rap, funk and standards and just kept playing and playing. This music was referred to as Go Go, but really, it was just the local music scene in Washington, DC. You didn’t hear much about Go Go in the outskirts of DC, among the more white population, where I lived, and you didn’t read about it much in the Washington Post or the more adventurous City Paper. In fact, if I wanted to read about Go Go Music, I had to read the New Music Express (NME) the famous English music paper which understood what the music was all about. This album includes the standard Go Go acts, Chuck Brown and Soul Searchers, Trouble Funk and Experience Unlimited (EU). EU got its shot by appearing in Spike Lee’s second movie “School Daze.”

Potatos, a collection of folks songs from Ralph Records – Compilation: This is a collection of folk and blue grass songs, some being standards. This very warped compilation includes contributions from The Residents and Mark Mothersbaugh who does tons of music for TV. But, standouts for me include “Perfect Scrambled Eggs” by Negativeland and “The Billy Bee Song” by an unknown Appalachian artist. Of course, there’s the “Legend of Sawny Bean/Sawney’s Death Stance” by Snakefingers Midi-evil Vestal Virgins. Great, great fodder for mixed tapes.

Sunshine on the Leith – The Proclaimers : Okay, the Proclaimers might be one of the all-time most popular Scottish bands, but in this country they made their splash in the 80’s with their super charged super hyperactive brand of folk music. I saw them at the Bayou in Georgetown and was dancing on the tables by the end, and realized I hadn’t yet had anything to drink. It was a natural high.

Moonhead – Thin White Rope: I truly love this album. The singer sounded like a cross between an angry Michael Stipe and Bob Dylan. The guitars were searing and twinkling at the same time, so much for the ears to grasp. Yet, I know nothing about this band, in fact, I had to look them up on Wiki and there wasn’t much there. I won’t mention what “Thin White Rope” means. But, I actually, downloaded this album last week since my turn table doesn’t work and I’ve renewed my love for this band.

Polkatharis – Brave Combo: A rock band from Texas, I believe, that played polka. Their songs always fit nicely into one of my mixed tapes. I saw them opening for the Violent Femmes in 1984 at, yes, the 9:30 Club. All I can say is that they fired on all cylinders and they were fun as hell. I was completely worn-out by the time the Femmes came on stage. Their version of the “Happy Wanderer” was always a nice compliment to “Lust for Death” on a mixed tape.

Telephone Free Landslide Victory – Camper Van Beethoven: Okay, I might be cheating here as CVB’s legacy went beyond the 80’s. Technically, CVB first broke-up about 1989, and its leader David Lowery started Cracker then brought CVB back together. But, I think this is one of the most important albums of the 80’s. “Club Med Sucks”, “Take the Skinheads Bowling” and the “Ambiguitey Song”, plus all the weird polka, reggae, Eastern European influenced instrumentals. At the time, it was completely off the wall, and I never heard anything like it. I saw them at the 9:30 Club and they were terrible. Then I read an interview with David Lowery in SPIN a couple of months later and he said that there were all these homeless people hanging out in the changing room when they got to the 9:30 Club that night and that killed their mood prior to the performance.

Please share your lost treasures from the 80’s. Actually, I’d like to hear about any lost treasures from any decade.

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Lost Treasures from the 80's

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Great idea for a thread. Thin White Rope put me in mind of Mary My Hope and lots of other bands I used to watch on MTV's 120 Minutes like Mary's Danish. Here's a couple clips from them as well as something from the Four Horsemen just for good measure. Oh yeah, their debut came out in '91.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Great idea for a thread.

Mr. Unique and The Leisure Class These guys started out in Detroit and moved to NYC in 1984. Part performance art, part No Wave, part funk, 100 percent great. Mr. Unique was a human statue or maniquin. Mr. Unique left the band sometime in the late eighties so they shortened their name to The Leisure Class.

Oil Tasters From Milwaukee. Bass, drums and saxaphone.

Rat At Rat R CBGB's Class of 1984. From the same scene that produced Sonic Youth. These guys rocked a bit harder
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

GG - Although I'm on record here, as not being a huge fan of the 80's; I will readily acknowledge that there were many hidden nuggets throughout the decade. Thanks for reminding me of some of those & uncovering some I hadn't heard of. I lived near D.C. throughout the 80's (still do). I was very aware of the Go-Go scene, but I never really checked it out. They still have Go-Go nights @ Lamont's near where I live in MD. Maybe I'll check it out. Did you ever catch the Bad Brains. I always regret not catchin' them back in the day. I wasn't too keen on the punk scene (I couldn't understand the lyrics or why they were all slammin' into each other); but that is one punk band I wish I'd seen. Anyway here are some more lost treasures of the 80's:

Guadalcanal Diary:

Del Fuegos:

Bodeans:

Smithereens:

Rockpile:

Wall of Voodoo:

Mother Love Bone:

Hanoi Rocks:

Fine Young Cannibals:

Timbuk 3:
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

A lot of old goodies posted already. This is the timeperiod I had my "musical awakening" - early in my teens.

Here is a few from my own collection:

If not completely forgoten all of these, but at least not often mentioned these days.

A few youtube clips

(Not the same band as on the debut album I believe?)

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

scotto

Post by scotto »

So many...here's a quick one:

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Jonathon Edwards/Seldom Scene:

David Lindley:

Bad Religion:

Slickee Boys:

The Housemartins:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The Band of Blacky Ranchette (I was lookin for their cover of "Revolution Blues")

Tex & the Horseheads

Rubber Rodeo

John Trubee

Charlie Burton & the Cutouts

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Gang Green wrote:
Born, Sandy, Devotional – The Triffids: In the 80’s there was nice little Australian movement which included the Celibate Rifles, Ed Kuepper and, my favorite, The Triffids. I loved this album to death. It’s kind of an Australian Echo and the Bunnymen. “Seabirds” and “Lonely Stretch” were my favorites and the cover made want to visit Australia with I never did. This album was is regarded as a top album of all time in Australia, but you don’t hear much about the Triffids much in this neck of the woods.

Please share your lost treasures from the 80’s. Actually, I’d like to hear about any lost treasures from any decade.

The Triffids are one of my favourite bands of all time (I nearly offerred to do an AOTW on them). I was lucky to see them 5 or 6 times as they seemed to be resident in the UK for a large part of the eighties. Pretty much any of their albums are worth a listen.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

The Triffids are one of my favourite bands of all time (I nearly offerred to do an AOTW on them). I was lucky to see them 5 or 6 times as they seemed to be resident in the UK for a large part of the eighties. Pretty much any of their albums are worth a listen

I also had Raining Pleasure an EP, In the Pines and Calenture. I loved Raining Pleasure and In the Pines, but I don't remember what I thought of Calenture. I think you should do an AOTW feature on the Triffids. Their legacy must continue and its up to you, I've never actually met another Triffids fan except for the guy who sold me their albums at the Melody Maker record store at Dupont Circle in DC where I bought all my albums.

Kudzu Guillotine

This article from Magnet magazine on the Paisley Underground dates back to 2001 but it's still very much worth reading. Looks like we'll never see the planned Paisley Underground box set but at least we have the Children of Nuggets collection.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Red Clay Ramblers - This Carolina band's career spanned the 70's-90's. Love this little ditty from 1986:

Georgia Satellites:

Marshall Creshaw:

Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians:

The Alarm:

The Jam:

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Scraping Foetus off the Wheel vid includes prelude, sarcastic interview from the Tube and performance

Trouble Funk, UK performance (hence the more white audiance)

Kudzu Guillotine

I've never been the world's biggest Cars fan but somewhere in my vinyl stash I have a copy of Elliot Easton's "(Wearing Down) Like A Wheel" 45 which originally came from this album. Try as I might, I can't seem to find a clip of it online. Every time I think I'm close to hearing it again after all of these years I discover it's been removed. Funny that it's the target of removal at the hands of the record labels yet this single from the record remains:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Thanks everyone for all your contributions, I've watched every single one of them. If you got more keep them coming, and, always, remember "A blind man's penus is erect because he's blind."

I really wanted a good clip of Lonely Stretch, but I'll settle for Wide Open Road. The Triffids

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Agree. This has been a great thread...

Talk Talk

OK. This one may be stretching the topic of this threat a bit... The Aller Vaerste. Their "claim to fame": Despite lyrics in Norwegian being played several times by John Peel on BBC in 1980.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Careful what you wish for, GG:

Bananarama- didn't usually go for this sort of thing, but these gals turned me on:

Was (Not Was):

World Party:

The Nails:

Jon Astley (one-time brother-in-law of Pete Townshend):

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

^^Co-written by Sting (the dub version of this is phenomenal)

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Oh dear now you've got me started. Not sure if these are exactly lost but I guess a lot of you guys on here won't be familiar with some of this stuff

Clams

Post by Clams »

Slipkid42 wrote:The Housemartins:

Mrs Clams loved the Housemartins. I used to cringe every time she's put them on. That CD is lost, hopefully for good.

Here are some Lost Treasures from the 80's, Philly Style...

The A's:

(The A's were the kings of South Street back in the 80's. They made one record on Arista and went nowhere, though it holds up pretty well. The guitar player, Rick DiFonzo, somehow went on to play in Roger Waters' band and played lead guitar at the famous show at the Berlin Wall)

Robert Hazard and the Heroes:

(one of the first concerts I ever saw - Southside Johnny with Robert Hazard at the Phila Zoo in about 1981 or 82.)

The Hooters:

(the only hot Philly band of the 80's that actually made it)
If you don't run you rust

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Clams, you let Bananarama slide, but no love for the Housemartins? Mrs. Clams has good taste (even if she settled for you).

Dramarama (got even better in the 90's, but this sleeper snuck in):

Bang Tango (G'n'R wannabees, but pretty good in their own right):

Psychedelic Furs:

The Church:

The Waterboys:

Robert Cray:

Fabulous Thunderbirds:

Jason & the Scorchers:

scotto

Post by scotto »

One of the best of the '80s "roots" bands and Dave Gonzalez killed on the Guild.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Slipkid42 wrote:Clams, you let Bananarama slide, but no love for the Housemartins? Mrs. Clams has good taste (even if she settled for you).

:x
Personal foul! Unnecessary cheap shot. 15 yards and loss of down!
(I was gonna back you up on the Jackson Browne vs Elton John debate, but now you're on your own! )

]
If you don't run you rust

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Clams wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Clams, you let Bananarama slide, but no love for the Housemartins? Mrs. Clams has good taste (even if she settled for you).

:x
Personal foul! Unnecessary cheap shot. 15 yards and loss of down!
(I was gonna back you up on the Jackson Browne vs Elton John debate, but now you're on your own! )

]

j/k, I need any help I can get; convincin' Smitty what should be obvious.

Kudzu Guillotine

By the time I started paying attention to Elton John it was when I bought a 45 of "Crocodile Rock" by which time he was parading around in the Donald Duck suit. That probably did a great deal to sway me from his artistic side, that's why I pay close attention when his older tunes get a spin on XM's Deep Tracks channel. That said, I was also exposed to stuff like Tumbleweed Connection and Honky Château but I was at such an impressionable age when "Crocodile Rock" came out that I allowed that to cloud my vision.

Back to the thread at hand...meanwhile, back in North Carolina in the 1980s I feel very fortunate to have been at ground zero for the Comboland years thanks to the Welcome To Comboland album, as well as the Mondo Montage and More Mondo compilations. I must also mention 94.7 FM WQDR out of Raleigh because without them, I never would have heard of any of these bands at the time. This was the environment in which I first heard of Arrogance, Don Dixon, Mike Cross (more country, bluegrass and folk than the usual Comboland suspects but well worth mentioning because many of those folks played on his records in those days), the Spongetones, the Fabulous Knobs, Let's Active, the Connells, Fetchin' Bones, the dB's, Southern Culture on the Skids and R.E.M. There's even a website devoted to this era called Return To Comboland where filmmaker Steve Boyle is documenting the early stages of what he hopes to turn into a feature length motion picture. I sincerely hope he is able to achieve that goal. In addition to Steve's website, I highly suggest checking out the Power Pop Criminals blog for rips of Mondo Montage and More Mondo. There is also something called Comboland Radio, an online radio station where you can hear all of the artists from this era and then some.

ImageImageImage

Comboland was also a feature on the The Whistle Test (formerly The Old Grey Whistle Test) back in the day:

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians:

The Stone Roses:

Kitchens of Distinction:

The Blue Aeroplanes:

Aztec Camera:

The Teardrop Explodes:

Del Amitri:

Big Country:

Midnight Oil:

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

This is just as fresh as it was when I picked it up because of David Byrne's involvement. Far superior to the sequel from last year "Everything that happens will happen today"

Good to see the Sisters of Mercy getting some love. I'm not sure they're "lost treasures" exactly but early Ministry is from the 80's.

That first Psychedelic Furs album is excellent. Their subsequent releases (where the production was cleaned up and it was much more poppy) suck by comparison. Sister Europe and Mother Russia (SoM) all the way!
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Love love love Robyn Hitchcock. Globe Of Frogs is damn near a perfect pop album.
Now it's dark.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Holy Crap, I thought this thread was dead as of last night. So, I thought I would pay a little homage to Smitty and his contribution with the blind man's penus song which was priceless, and get my last little Triffids song in and then we'd be done. Then I look this morning and yes, holy crap. Do you guys sleep at night?

Slipkid, I'll take your Bananarama and raise you one Frankie Goes to Hollywood which was the biggest band in England in the winter of 1984 when they could slip in a song between Michael Jackson hits from Thriller. My the way, I didn't listen to the Housmartins but I did listen to Fatboy Slim their major offspring. Funk Soul Brother (Rockfellar Skank) is on my 90's list. By the way, I like "Robert DeNiro's Waiting" so there. So bring it.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood

A little Roddy Frame for everyone? ooops just notice another the Aztec Camara song I liked above, but here's another
Aztec Camera

Okay William Bloke went beyong the 90's, but Life's a Riot with Spy vs Spy was the only album I had of his until those Wilco collaborations.
Billy Bragg

One of the many overlooked bands from the 80's, but it would help if they could take it past one album
Manic Pop Thrill