Artist Of The Week: Faces (11/14/11)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tyler
Site Admin

Artist Of The Week: Faces (11/14/11)

Post by Tyler »

(Posted a day early since I won't be near a computer tomorrow.)

Faces - Artist of the Week 11/14/2011

First: A bit of music to set the mood - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umxx2Qjxfww

The Faces were perhaps the greatest pure rock'n'roll band of all time. That's a bit of a statement to

make, and I suspect many will disagree, but this is *my* AoTW, so roll with it ok? They could boogie

like no other, but could effectivly tackle slower, more folk-like material as well. This sound like

any other group a few of us are a fan of?

Formed out of the remains of the Small Faces, the three remaining members Ian Mclangan, Kenney Jones,

and bassist Ronnie Lane proceeded to steal guitarist Ronnie Wood and vocalist Rod Stewart from the Jeff Beck group. They didn't stay together long, just 3 years, from the fall of 1969 through the summer of 1973, time enough for four studio albums.

I'm not going to dwell in-depth on the history or the discography. Check wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faces_(band)) if you want the gritty details.

What made the faces so great? They rocked, hard. They were loose and sloppy, in the best possible way. Everything the Rolling Stones were, they weren't. They were down to earth, inviting, and populist. Where the Stones acted like they wanted to take your head off, the Faces are the sort who you'd expect to find hanging around an english pub, circa 1970.

They were amazingly versatile - ranging from full-on rockers like "Borstal Boys" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkDURWODmSo) or "Too Bad" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3zWqoe6 ... re=related), to mid-tempo stomps like "You're So Rude" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCzAfhGEo10), to more acoustic songs like "Richmond" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WUuIGm_T-c&t=29), which were often sung by bassist Ronnie Lane. The slide guitar of Ronnie Wood, and the driving keyboards of Ian Maclagan gave the band a really unique sound admist a see of bands playing 3rd hand blues tunes through cranked Marshalls.

With that much lightning in a bottle, there was really no way it could last. Much as Steve Marriott broke up the Small Faces when he went solo, Rod Stewart inevitably left for solo stardom, and that, essentially, way that. Too Bad, indeed.

Last time all original members performed together - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_ZQBT502k

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Re: Artist Of The Week: Faces (11/14/11)

Post by StevieRay »

Hell Yeah. One of the best bands there ever was.

Ooh La La:

Clams

Post by Clams »

The Faces were one of those bands I always wanted to get into, and some discussion on the old 9B board a couple of years ago prompted me to pick up this 2 disc compilation on Rhino and it's fantastic. Love that hard rocking, bluesy sound. It also bears mentioning that Rod Stewart's classic Every Picture Tells a Story came out in '71 and every member of the Faces plays on the record and, if I'm not mistaken, "(I Know) I'm Losing You" is actually a Faces track.
If you don't run you rust

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I love the Faces. Really started listening to them after a thread on 9B, and have the whole discography now.

If I knew anything outside of "Stay With Me" in college, they would have been my "college soundtrack" band.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Very nice write-up Tyler (and a great choice for AotW). Loved their bluesy boogies. The Rod was still pretty cool when he cut EPTAS. It's not surprising to hear it was The Faces in disguise. I loved the Small Faces too (and even Humble Pie).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Actually, I was always a bit more partial to the Small Faces, and I thought Steve Marriot was, potentially, one of the best rock n roll singers ever, but he had his issues like so many others. But, I'm going to give the Faces more of a chance, but I'll have to get past my predjudice of Rod Stewart.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

The key to enjoying Rod Stewart is that he stopped recording albums about 1974. Anything rumoured to be released after that simply doesn't exist...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tyler wrote:The key to enjoying Rod Stewart is that he stopped recording albums about 1974. Anything rumoured to be released after that simply doesn't exist...

Oh, those post '74 records exist, it's just that his body had been taken over by aliens from the planet Easylistening.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Clams wrote:
Tyler wrote:The key to enjoying Rod Stewart is that he stopped recording albums about 1974. Anything rumoured to be released after that simply doesn't exist...

Oh, those post '74 records exist, it's just that his body had been taken over by aliens from the planet Easylistening.

I like everything before Blondes Have More Fun.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

sactochris wrote:
Clams wrote:

I like everything before Blondes Have More Fun.

I have that album on picture disc. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

If ya want my body and you think I'm sexy, come on sugar let me know.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Just as I'm getting ready to except Rod Stewart into my music listening life a few years ago, he comes out with an album of standards which my mom loved now he's my mom's favorite singer. Come on Ma, listen to Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett. I can't shake this anti Rod Stewart thing, "tonights the night, its gonna by awright"

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Hot Legs is pretty good.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

excellence on all counts, tyler. great choice.

one of my favorite performances ever. so much to dig here.

billy pierced his ear...drove his pickup like a lunatiaiaiac!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I think it was 1970 at the Fillmore. They rocked the fucking house. Had front row and Rod nearly took my head off with the mic stand. Annoyingly loud opening act with some guy with a giant cross just continuously screaming and spitting all over me. Some guys named Black Sabbath
Always go to the show

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Jonicont wrote:I think it was 1970 at the Fillmore. They rocked the fucking house. Had front row and Rod nearly took my head off with the mic stand. Annoyingly loud opening act with some guy with a giant cross just continuously screaming and spitting all over me. Some guys named Black Sabbath

You saw all the best shows...I guess old age has its advantages.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Clams

Post by Clams »

BigTom wrote:
Jonicont wrote:I think it was 1970 at the Fillmore. They rocked the fucking house. Had front row and Rod nearly took my head off with the mic stand. Annoyingly loud opening act with some guy with a giant cross just continuously screaming and spitting all over me. Some guys named Black Sabbath

:lol:

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:
BigTom wrote:

:lol:

Wiesenheimers
Always go to the show

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

RIP Ian McLagan

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dmPh/amazon-ech ... g-by-faces

Have any of y’all seen this commercial yet? I saw the ad, thought about my little girl, and almost cried!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I saw it tonight, too. Outstanding commercial! That song will be on the mix I make for my oldest when she heads off to college in two years. Whether or not she actually listens to it is a whole other story. :lol:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah. Saw it. Definitely tugged at the heartstrings but still not sure what I think about it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:Yeah. Saw it. Definitely tugged at the heartstrings but still not sure what I think about it.
Same here. It certainly does what it's supposed to do, but, since A----- is the fucking devil, I want to hate it. Hard to hate anything with that song, though.