Artist of the Week 11/7/2011 Centro-Matic

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Artist of the Week 11/7/2011 Centro-Matic FINAL TOUR!!

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Heading west in a few hours for the last three shows. Can't wait to celebrate the career of this great band. I've enjoyed everyone's posts about the final tour the last few weeks and now we get to see for ourselves. Denton here we come...
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So I stopped for coffee on my way to Denton. I should arrive about showtime.

After choir today, the daughter and her mom were at church for Christmas Eve outfitting. There was an envelope on the floor of the van from the church we go to in Fayetteville, with Annie's address on it in her own handwriting. I thought nothing of it till I went home and found a similar envelope in my own mailbox, addressed to me in my own handwriting. Inside was a small purple index card, and then I remembered: They had us all write messages of encouragement to ourselves in the future which they would later mail. I'd forgotten all about it! And my card said:

It's not too late
To bloom, and twist your fate
And become a rock solid kind of dude

I think I made the right decision going to this show. Thanks to Fatah Ruark for the spare ticket! And now I'd best make the right decision to get on the road and down to Denton.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'm really glad I came to this show. Aside from the obvious affection the crowd showed for Centro-Matic, which I'd expected to really enjoy--last shows are bittersweet, and I've been to my share--I got them in a way that I did not get them seeing them open for DBT. That was a hell of a band! I'm sorry I didn't pick up on that earlier. Everyone gave me different "must have" albums to buy, none of which were at the merch table, so I got the new one and the two people seemed most excited about. I skipped the vinyl of the first album reissued; I expect I'll regret that someday.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I've said a lot on the book of face about this past weekend and I'm going to post some some thoughts here as well but just in case any of you haven't seen this one from Brent Best on Saturday night I wanted to share. The story goes like this; when Slobberbone called it quits on New Year's 2005 Will had to drive from Missouri in bad weather to make the show. On the way he wrote Gunmetal and Engines as his tribute to them. When he got to the show he asked Brent to hold up some lyrics for him and performed it. Brent returned the favor and played the song himself on Saturday night with Brian Lane holding the lyrics. Here it is:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Artist of the Week 11/7/2011 Centro-Matic

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Some pictures from Lurleen and myself:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Man what a fun time. I drove down solo from Denver. Hit up a really nice mountain bike ride near Amarillo (which for the record has a HORRIBLE selection of beer). Pulled into Denton a couple of hours later than I would have liked, but it seems like a really nice town. Got to the venue and Patterson was still sound checking. Got to thank him for introducing me to Centro-matic. Wanted to buy him a beer, but he got free beer.

Met up with John (see above) for my extra ticket. Always nice meeting new Truckers fans. I'm glad you enjoyed the music.

Incredible set of music. I think the longest I've seen Centro-matic play was about 1.5 hours (including encores)...the show was 2.5 hours. Patterson sat in for a few songs. Also some of the Slobberbone guys. Saw Patterson rocking out fully in the crowd which was awesome.

Hit up Roosters BBQ for lunch on Monday before heading home. I'm a BBQ snob and it was pretty good. I'm still more of a Eastern NC style BBQ guy, but this stuff was pretty good.

On the way home I popped the recording in. Patterson's set sounded FANTASTIC in the car, but the Centro-matic set sounded pretty bad. I was pretty bummed. Also ran into a pretty nasty blizzard in Southern Colorado.

All in all well worth the trip. 25+ hours of driving along with the blizzard that added about 2 hours of drive time.

GOOD NEWS: when I got home and put the recording on some good speakers it sounds okay. Certainly listenable. Not my best, but I'm happy with it.

Here is the setlist:

Anything Torn Out
Members of the Show 'Em How It's Done
Every Mission
Fountains of Fire
Most Everyone Will Find
Salty Disciple
All the Talkers
Reset Anytime
Through The Fog, Then Down
The Mighty Midshipman
Biology Tricks
Estimate x 3
The Fugitives Have Won
Cross Path
Calling Thermatico
Patience for the Ride
Gas Blowin' Out of Our Eyes
Flashes and Cables
Iso-Residue
Magic Cyclops
Strahan Has Corralled the Freaks
The Blisters May Come
Fidgeting Wildly (with Patterson and Brent)

Encore:

Take the Maps and Run
In Such Crooked Time
Am I the Manager or Am I Not?

Encore 2:

Only in My Double Mind (with Patterson)
Love Has Found Me Somehow
Without You

Here is a sample of my recording. I'll have the rest of it done soon. When it's done it will be up on the LMA. (see: https://archive.org/details/Centro-matic )

https://soundcloud.com/fatah-ruark/cent ... -song-ever

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Here is my recording. Turned out better than I thought it would.

https://archive.org/details/centromatic ... 930.flac16

Enjoy.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

My buddy did a really nice matrix from the farewell show at the Mercury Lounge 12/12/14

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/chs45vhf7bmx ... cXY0a?dl=0
Always go to the show

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

1. Necessitarianism (Fred Merkle's Blues)
2. A Carousel Victor
3. Gasconade
4. Cornelius
5. A Solitary Slip
6. Shadow Matter
7. Chimera
8. Need Of Trust And Thunder
9. To The Shepard, To The Lion
10. (You Were) Just Barely You

Out 8/27/19
Preorder
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

https://will-johnson.com/new-album-no-o ... order-now/

Sounds more like Centro-Matic than solo Will.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM