The End of U2?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

The End of U2?

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

A couple articles on that topic, the first from The Irish Times, the second from The Telegraph:

'If we don't come up with a good reason to make a new album, we should just fuck off'

Is it time for U2 to call it a day?

one belt loop

Re: The End of U2?

Post by one belt loop »

Can't happen soon enough.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

one belt loop wrote:Can't happen soon enough.

definitely won't be shedding any tears.
Lots of respect for Bono's humanitarian causes, but musically I couldn't give two fucks. I got respect for what they've done and accomplished (especially during the '80's) but if there's a more pompous,pretentious group of musicians on this planet I haven't saw them. The timing, right on the heels of REM, is kinda funny too.
I know they get compared to REM alot, but they're nowhere close IMO.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:

definitely won't be shedding any tears.
Lots of respect for Bono's humanitarian causes, but musically I couldn't give two fucks. I got respect for what they've done and accomplished (especially during the '80's) but if there's a more pompous,pretentious group of musicians on this planet I haven't saw them. The timing, right on the heels of REM, is kinda funny too.
I know they get compared to REM alot, but they're nowhere close IMO.

Well the only comparison for me is that they were two of my three favorite bands in the eighties, along with my beloved 'Mats. They also both jumped the shark for me around the same time. I haven't cared for a single U2 song in a quarter century so if they call it quits it won't even register as much as R.E.M.'s departure did, and that wasn't a lot at this late date.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I nearly posted the exact same thing.
Keep calm and have a cigar

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As always, shaking my head in wonder. It's totally expected by now, yet i still don't get it. Pretentious and annoying? Absolutely. But, man the music is THERE. Not every album of course, but discs like Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind are excellent albums that stand up against anything else going on at their respective times and there's good stuff scattered around many of the others, too.

We don't need to go over this old ground again but i just felt like the thread should have a little balance :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Well a few hours ago I downloaded the bonus Achtung Baby and just started to listen to it when I saw this thread. Clearly my favorite in the 80's only REM came close, sometimes even surpassing. They have very similar career arcs and influence. All 4 original members for over 30 years. What other band ever did that without just doing greatest hits tours? None that ever sold over 10 million records, I bet.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:As always, shaking my head in wonder. It's totally expected by now, yet i still don't get it. Pretentious and annoying? Absolutely. But, man the music is THERE. Not every album of course, but discs like Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind are excellent albums that stand up against anything else going on at their respective times and there's good stuff scattered around many of the others, too.

We don't need to go over this old ground again but i just felt like the thread should have a little balance :)

The arrogance & pretentiousness overpowers whatever musical merit they have left, in my book atleast. Honestly though, I guess I don't really if they "retire" or not.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't think they're arrogant, but they're definitely pretentious.

I haven't liked anything since Achtung Baby. They've written plenty of great songs over the years, but nowhere close to my favorite band. They probably should have done this 10 years ago.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

U2 are the epitome of arrogant - I don't even think they'd argue that - I imagine it's probably a huge part of what drove them to be so successful.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Smitty wrote:U2 are the epitome of arrogant - I don't even think they'd argue that - I imagine it's probably a huge part of what drove them to be so successful.

Maybe so, but in 1980 when commercial rock was all that was played on the radio, punk was too aggressive for me at that time, and the remainder of the decade was stupid one hit wonder synth bands, Boy was like nothing else. Original sounding guitars, lots of it, and good songs. They were the biggest influence for guitar driven hard pop for 10 years.Flock of Seagulls made a career out of ripping off The Edge. I can not see holding massive success against them. As for them hanging it up, I don't care. Shit, The Edge is my age, I know I would have better things to do than hang out with my high school buddies in my 50's.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I think arrogance came naturally for U2. Bono thought and dreamed big from day 1 and that never stopped. So as big as they got (and they are/were HUGE!), he always wanted and believed they could be bigger. It never bothered me. And with all the humanitarian shit, Bono walked the walk too. Along with Springsteen, probably one of my two favorite bands of the 80's. Back in the day, I loved U2 and didn't give much of a shit about REM. Granted, I haven't really kept up with much of their post-Achtung music, but their 80's run from Boy through Rattle & Hum is as good as it gets. Some of my favorite songs... Bad, Hawkmoon 269, Exit, An Cat Dubh-->Into the Heart, 40, Red Hill Mining Town, Bullet the Blue Sky-->Running to Stand Still, that cover of Watchtower (all I've got is a red guitar, three chords and the truth... fuck yeah). I still watch Rattle & Hum every time it's on Palladia or VH1. So anyway, I have no idea if they're breaking up b/c I don't follow them anymore. But back in the day, U2 was the shit.
If you don't run you rust

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I saw U2 in 1981 at The Ritz in NYC (now Webster Hall). The show did not sell out. Tickets were eight dollars. I stood at the rail directly in front of the bass player. I left saying that while they weren't as good as Echo and The Bunnymen they would probably be as big as Led Zeppelin. War came out in early 1983 and U2 became the biggest band on the planet.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Clams wrote:I think arrogance came naturally for U2. Bono thought and dreamed big from day 1 and that never stopped. So as big as they got (and they are/were HUGE!), he always wanted and believed they could be bigger. It never bothered me. And with all the humanitarian shit, Bono walked the walk too. Along with Springsteen, probably one of my two favorite bands of the 80's. Back in the day, I loved U2 and didn't give much of a shit about REM. Granted, I haven't really kept up with much of their post-Achtung music, but their 80's run from Boy through Rattle & Hum is as good as it gets. Some of my favorite songs... Bad, Hawkmoon 269, Exit, An Cat Dubh-->Into the Heart, 40, Red Hill Mining Town, Bullet the Blue Sky-->Running to Stand Still, that cover of Watchtower (all I've got is a red guitar, three chords and the truth... fuck yeah). I still watch Rattle & Hum every time it's on Palladia or VH1. So anyway, I have no idea if they're breaking up b/c I don't follow them anymore. But back in the day, U2 was the shit.

I agree almost 100%. Rattle and Hum always made me cringe. The Unforgettable Fire, at least 80% of it, is one of the best albums ever, even though the best songs are kind of meandering. Kinda like Astral Weeks and E Street Shuffle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

oilpiers wrote:
Smitty wrote:U2 are the epitome of arrogant - I don't even think they'd argue that - I imagine it's probably a huge part of what drove them to be so successful.

Maybe so, but in 1980 when commercial rock was all that was played on the radio, punk was too aggressive for me at that time, and the remainder of the decade was stupid one hit wonder synth bands, Boy was like nothing else. Original sounding guitars, lots of it, and good songs. They were the biggest influence for guitar driven hard pop for 10 years.Flock of Seagulls made a career out of ripping off The Edge. I can not see holding massive success against them. As for them hanging it up, I don't care. Shit, The Edge is my age, I know I would have better things to do than hang out with my high school buddies in my 50's.

I'm not holding their success against them - although as a frequent reader of Rolling Stone, I would like to see hlaf the coverage they get for any little thing they do be given to a band that could use the coverage, but thats not against them as much as RS. I'm not arguing their importance in the timeline of R'n'R, I already acknowledged that earlier, along with what great respect I have for them for their humanitarian issues, Bono about Africa & everything else and the Edge for his work after Hurricane Katrina. Every band that gets as big as they have have to be terribly arrogant - they're no worse than the Rolling Stones, but I just dig the Stones music more. Bottomline for me is I while I respect it, I don't care for their music, atleast since I've been conscious of it - it's cliche to say, but their early work is gold, and if I was around when it came out I might feel differently. I liked All That You Can't Leave Behind when it came out, and it's the only album of theirs I've ever bought around the time it was released, but really they don't contribute anything to my tastes and I won't miss them once they're gone.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

oilpiers wrote:All 4 original members for over 30 years. What other band ever did that without just doing greatest hits tours?

Queen.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Love them, and will unashamedly say that their most recent tour (360°) was incredible.

I need to read the article, but I wonder if the quote is kinda out of context--considering both Bono and Edge have said they expect to pop out a record next year. Heck, at the beginning of the year U2 fans were gleefully welcoming news that there could be up to 4 releases in the tubes. One is already out, the Spiderman Broadway show.

I get people's aversion to Bono's politics--I do. But, at the same time its refreshing that someone with so much pull and an attentive audience (potentially 90,000 people at some shows) is raising awareness about human rights issues and the AIDS crisis in Africa.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Exactly Flying Bunny--While I havent bought a U2 record since Under The Blood Red Sky I at least admire Bono for using his fame and celebrity status to try do something.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I was 9 when The Joshua Tree came out and was semi-aware of it at the time, but I became a huge, huge fan after the release of Achtung Baby thanks to some older friends that were into them. After the release of that album, I began going back and listening to the older stuff. Had always wanted to see them live and finally got the chance in 2001 at Rupp Arena on Kentucky Derby Eve with PJ Harvey opening. It's still one of the best arena shows I've ever seen, and although I've not been keeping up with their newer music as much these past few years, I'd still go watch them again live in a minute.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

dogstar wrote:
oilpiers wrote:All 4 original members for over 30 years. What other band ever did that without just doing greatest hits tours?

Queen.

Since Freddy Mercury died in 1991, I don't think that is true.The band formed in 1971.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

oilpiers wrote:
dogstar wrote:

Queen.

Since Freddy Mercury died in 1991, I don't think that is true.The band formed in 1971.

Paul Rodgers dressed in Freddy's skinsuit for the last tour(s).

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

X 1,000,000,000 you get the idea!!! Gawd awful band !!! didn't get the big draw in the 80s and still don't get the following they have now
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Kudzu Guillotine

The "big draw" in the 80s was much like the initial affection I had for R.E.M., their very humanistic and emotional qualities. At the time, these came to me via War and Murmur, respectively. Count me as another person that has never gotten the hate that is so often directed at Bono. So, he speaks out on issues that mean something to him and has held court with politicians around the world. I say, if he can get them to bend an ear, more power to him. As for their music, nothing they have done has ever moved me as much as War. That said, I've also purchased some of their more recent efforts (but not No Line On the Horizon) which really haven't done a whole lot for me, especially How To Dismantle an Atom Bomb. I liked All That You Can't Leave Behind much better, especially the "Beautiful Day" single but not nearly as much I as I like the early material. Back when War was new, they played Kenan Stadium at UNC in Chapel Hill with Todd Rundgren and Grandmaster Flash. I've been kicking myself over missing that one for years but a couple of years ago I finally got to see them on the 360° tour when they played Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh and loved it. As for them calling it quits, I have a feeling they won't but who knows. Would I miss them? Yes, even though I'm not as huge of a fan as I used to be. To me, R.E.M. and (potentially U2) calling it quits would mark the end of an era. Perhaps you had to be there in the 80s to witness their arrival on the music scene firsthand for it to mean something to you, of that, I'm not sure but if U2 were to call it quits I'd be lying to you if I said it wouldn't make me sad. One of the most moving moments I've ever witnessed was U2 performing "Bad" during Live Aid and Bono dancing with the girl from the audience. Yes, I know he did that at a lot of shows (maybe even all of them) but that doesn't detract from how much that moment moved me. In regards to them throwing in the towel, from having read the articles it sounds like U2 are facing a similar frustation as R.E.M., Jimmy Page, Jimmy Buffett and others when it comes to marketing their music in a meaningful way in 2011 (and beyond) when there's so many so called "fans" out there that seem just as content to steal it.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

KG, I bought War and Murmur on the same day in 1983 and loved both bands initially but soon got bored with them. You are right though, it seems like the end of an era.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I liked them fine back in the day, though I don't think I ever bought an album, but I think they've outlived their usefulness by a large margin. And despite my admiration for Bono's zeal for good causes, I still get this feeling he's sort of a tool.

Just a feeling, though.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

Gator McKlusky wrote:KG, I bought War and Murmur on the same day in 1983 and loved both bands initially but soon got bored with them. You are right though, it seems like the end of an era.

I can't say I ever got bored with either of them but with R.E.M. there were a few times when my interest started to wane. For whatever reason, I stayed onboard until the very end and am not the least bit embarrassed to say so. Even though I was not always a huge fan of the post-Bill Berry releases, they remained to be a kick ass live band right up until their last tour for Accelerate in 2008. With U2, I was thrown for a bit of a loop with Achtung Baby but looking back on it all these many years later they did a very remarkable job of reinventing themselves. I also really like Zooropa even though I wasn't necessarily a huge fan of that EP when it first came out. Where they really started to lose me was with "Discothèque", the first single from Pop. I'm still not a big fan of that album but I do love the song "Pleas". After that, I began paying less and less attention to them but admired their skewering of mass media via the Zoo TV tour.

As far as the "end of an era" thing, when I was a young, impressionable man back in my college days of the early 80s there was something that spoke to me when it came to the music of bands like R.E.M. and U2. I also think reggae played a large role in that. Live Aid and the Amnesty International concerts also made a huge impression on me from a social and political activism standpoint. That those influences have stayed with me throughout my life is something I just can't put into words. As I've probably said before, I may not have agreed with everything Stipe, Bono, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Peter Garrett (Midnight Oil) and the other outspoken musicians of that time had to say but they at least got me to sit up, take notice and do something with my life. There's been few other bands that have had that sort of impact on me, especially R.E.M.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

the only U2 album I own is The Joshua Tree. I don't listen to it much, but Where the Streets Have No Name, Bullet the Blue Sky and Running to Stand Still are some of my favorite songs of the 80's.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I don't own a single U2 album. I dig the early stuff from the 80s. I was a wee little one when they were starting out but definitely dig some of the stuff from those formative years. I've never been inclined to see a show or buy their music.

The Edge was a friend/partner with the group that owned the development/facility I worked at in Athens. I met him once and he was a pretty decent dude. No skull cap either. I thought that was refreshing.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I used to be a fan back in the 80's. I think Boy is a great debut album. Joshua tree I still listen to from time to time, but I can't help thinking of that as a Lanois/Eno-album as much as it is a U2 album. Somewhere along the line things startet to go wrong. I am not exactly shure when. Maybe already at Achtung Baby. I wasn't a big fan of that album when it came out although I learned to appreciate it eventually.

People mention Bono as the problem, however, I think the Edges innovative guitar "playing", which was unique and fresh in the beginning, became their biggest threat as their music became more and more megalomaniacal (is that a word?). Here is a funny clip http://youtu.be/y0S0_NDvvrQ. :roll: I don't know if it makes sense to non-guitarists, but I think it shows how bad things got eventually (bear in mind, this is popmart cirka '97. Must be even worse now.)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa