2012 New Album Releases

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: 2012 New Album Releases

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

A Tribute to the Repo Man Soundtrack is due on September 18th. Watch a trailer here.

Here's the tracklist:

Repo Man - Those Darlins
TV Party - Polar Bear Club
Institutionalized - Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra
Coup D'Etat - New York Rivals
El Clavo Y La Cruz - Black Francis & Spanish for Hitchhiking
Pablo Picasso - The Tellers
Let's Have A War - Mike Watt & The Secondmen
When The Shit Hits The Fan - The Suicide Dolls
Hombre Secreto - Matthew Sweet
Bad Man - Moses Coltrane
Reel Ten - Weekend

Kudzu Guillotine

Paste is debuting "To Myself" from Tift Merritt's Traveling Alone which you can listen to here. The album comes out on October 2nd, tracklisting and artwork below.

Kudzu Guillotine

I've never been much of Judas Priest fan aside from a song or two here and there (plus, who can forget Heavy Metal Parking Lot) but I figured there might be some folks around here that are interested in this 30th anniversary edition of Screaming for Vengeance which comes out on September 4th. Info courtesy of JudasPriest.com.

1. The Hellion
2. Electric Eye
3. Riding On The Wind
4. Bloodstone
5. (Take These) Chains
6. Pain And Pleasure
7. Screaming For Vengeance
8. You’ve Got Another Thing Coming
9. Fever
10. Devil’s Child

Bonus tracks
11. *Electric Eye (live)
12. *Riding on the Wind (live)
13. *You’ve Got Another Thing Coming (Live)
14. *Screaming For Vengeance (Live)
15. Devil’s Child (live)
16. Prisoner of Your Eyes

* Live from the San Antonio Civic Center, September 10th 1982

DVD
US Festival Show - San Bernadino CA 29th May 1983

1. Electric Eye
2. Riding On The Wind
3. Heading Out To The Highway
4. Metal Gods
5. Breaking The Law
6. Diamonds And Rust
7. Victim Of Changes
8. Living After Midnight
9. The Green Manalishi (with the two-pronged crown)
10. Screaming For Vengeance
11. You’ve Got Another Thing Coming
12. Hell Bent For Leather

Plus booklet featuring photos from Mark Weiss and sleeve notes written by Eddie Trunk (long -standing and well-respected US rock journo, author, radio and tv presenter)

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

There's a new Will Johnson solo album coming out on September 11. The album's called Scorpion and the first track is out now: http://birdsneedfeet.blogspot.com/2012/ ... -mine.html it's great.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Kudzu Guillotine

ImageImage

Here's a couple of Los Lobos releases to be on the lookout for. The 20th Anniversary edition of Kiko and the Kiko Live DVD, both of which drop on August 21st. More info at LosLobos.org.

Kudzu Guillotine

Another massive box set, this one is due for release in the U.K. on September 24th (not sure about a U.S. release date). There's more info at SlicingUpEyeballs.com.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Jamey Johnson records tribute album to Hank Cochran

1. “Make the World Go Away” – Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss
2. “I Fall to Pieces” – Jamey Johnson and Merle Haggard
3. “A Way to Survive” – Jamey Johnson, Vince Gill and Leon Russell
4. “Don’t Touch Me” – Jamey Johnson and Emmylou Harris
5. “You Wouldn’t Know Love” – Jamey Johnson and Ray Price
6. “I Don’t Do Windows” – Jamey Johnson and Asleep at the Wheel
7. “She’ll Be Back” – Jamey Johnson and Elvis Costello
8. “Would These Arms Be in Your Way” – Jamey Johnson
9. “The Eagle” – Jamey Johnson and George Strait
10. “A-11” – Jamey Johnson and Ronnie Dunn
11. “I’d Fight the World” – Jamey Johnson and Bobby Bare
12. “Don’t You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me” – Jamey Johnson and Willie Nelson
13. “This Ain’t My First Rodeo” – Jamey Johnson and Lee Ann Womack
14. “Love Makes a Fool of Us All” – Jamey Johnson and Kris Kristofferson
15. “Everything But You” – Jamey Johnson, Vince Gill, Willie Nelson and Leon Russell
16. “Livin’ for a Song” – Jamey Johnson, Hank Cochran, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

kendix

Post by kendix »

The new Shovels and Rope comes out today.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

kendix wrote:The new Shovels and Rope comes out today.

Thanks for the reminder!
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Kudzu Guillotine

Preview of a new Dylan track from his upcoming new album Tempest, this one is called "Early Roman Kings". It makes it's debut as the backing track to this trailer for the Cinemax series Strike Back. Another new song from the album, "Scarlet Town", will be unveiled when the series premieres on August 17th. Info courtesy of Mojo magazine.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

worst album of the year: Sirens by Sons of Bill
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

There's really no details to share about the 25th Anniversary of Document (which is due on September 25th) other that fact that the vinyl edition is now up on Amazon.com. Hopefully some details about the deluxe edition on CD will be surfacing in the not too distant future.

According to the experts at Murmurs.com the second disc of the deluxe edition of Document is the widely circulated Utrecht, Holland show from September 14th, 1987 (which was recorded for radio) minus "Superman", "Strange", "Funtime" and "Harpers" which are all covers. The flipside of the "Finest Worksong" single back in 1987 included the "Time After Time"/"Red Rain"/"So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)" medley that was recorded at this concert. The bonus discs for the 25th anniversary editions of Murmur and Reckoning also included widely circulated shows that were recorded for radio that were also edited by removing the cover songs. I've never claimed to understand the legalities of the music business but I have to wonder if these covers have been cut for time so the entire show will fit on one disc or if it has to do with some sort of royalty agreement. If it's the latter, I really find that hard to make sense of since all of these songs have appeared on other official R.E.M. releases (save for "Harpers"), at least to my knowledge.

Here's the tracklist for disc two:

1. Finest Worksong
2. These Days
3. Lightnin Hopkins
4. Welcome To The Occupation
5. Driver 8
6. Feeling Gravitys Pull
7. I Believe
8. The One I Love
9. Exhuming McCarthy
10. Wolves, Lower
11. Fall On Me
12. Just A Touch
13. Oddfellows Local 151
14. Little America
15. Its the End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
16. Begin The Begin
17. Disturbance At The Heron House
18. Moral Kiosk
19. Life And How To Live It
20. So. Central Rain

Kudzu Guillotine

New John Hiatt which comes out on September 25th

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

new Avett Brothers album available to preview (at least 90 seconds/song) on iTunes
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Best month in new releases for as long as I can remember, as Black Prairie (Decemberists side project) announces 9/18 release.

Seriously, that makes 6 or 7 records in a 3 week span that could all be top 10 for the year

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Zip City wrote:Best month in new releases for as long as I can remember, as Black Prairie (Decemberists side project) announces 9/18 release.

Seriously, that makes 6 or 7 records in a 3 week span that could all be top 10 for the year

It's getting to the point of having to budget for a few weeks there, it's crazy how good September looks

Sept 11:

Patterson
Calexico
Avetts
St Vincent/David byrne

Sept 18:
Grizzly bear
Band of horses
Menomena
Ryan Bingham

Sept 25
Bettye lavette
Mumford

This nuts for a few weeks but then not too much for the rest of the year IMHO

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

ScottyC wrote:

It's getting to the point of having to budget for a few weeks there, it's crazy how good September looks

Sept 11:

Patterson Hood
Calexico
Avetts
St Vincent/David byrne
Will Johnson
Bob Dylan

Sept 18:
Grizzly bear
Band of horses
Menomena
Ryan Bingham
Black Prairie

Sept 25
Bettye lavette
Mumford

I added a few

Kudzu Guillotine

Here's the latest via REMHQ on the Athens, GA Inside/Out reissue which will include the soundtrack (which has never been released on CD) as well as a DVD of the movie. Been looking forward to this for a while, especially the CD. It's been so long since I last watched the DVD that I'm not sure if the bonus footage mentioned in the press release is new or if it's the same stuff that was on the last reissue.

OMNIVORE RECORDINGS TO REISSUE ATHENS, GA-INSIDE/OUT CD/DVD THIS OCTOBER

When the documentary Athens, GA - Inside/Out was released in 1987, it provided a peek into the town that had turned the music world upside down by producing acts like R.E.M. and The B-52's. For those who didn't get to see this limited-release film in the theaters (or in clips on shows like MTV's 120 Minutes), a soundtrack LP filled with rare and unreleased music was also released to universal acclaim. Twenty-five years later, Omnivore Recordings will reissue this remarkable piece of music history on DVD and, for the first time, the soundtrack on CD - all in one package - on October 9. To make it even better, the newly remastered CD version contains five bonus tracks, including two previously unheard performances!

A mix of interviews and live shows, Athens, GA - Inside/Out is a love letter to not only the musicians, but the town of Athens, Georgia, as well. Bands like Pylon, Flat Duo Jets, Dreams So Real, Love Tractor, and more tell their stories and play their songs. R.E.M., The B-52's, and local "celebrities" like the Reverend Howard Finster (creator of album art for R.E.M. and Talking Heads) also reminisce. The film presents the town as a place where both creativity and personalities thrive. And, even though everyone wants to be the next big thing, the sense of camaraderie is clear - with every band being a fan of the other! DVD special features include an interview with the B-52's Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson from 2003, a commentary track, and more.

The performances featured on the soundtrack CD were recorded solely for the film project, and have been a holy grail in the collector's circuit for the nearly 20 years that the original soundtrack LP has been out of print. A stunning remaster brings to them a clarity previously unheard. With the addition of five bonus recordings, the CD soundtrack is now even more of an event. The bonus tracks include songs featured in the film that were not on the original LP, as well as ones from the sessions that weren't included in either the film or the LP-including a newly found performance of Love Tractor's cover of The Rolling Stones' "Shattered" with R.E.M.'s Peter Buck on guitar!

Never looking or sounding this good, the Omnivore Recordings 25th Anniversary CD/DVD reissue collection of Athens, GA-Inside/Out is the ultimate document of the mid-1980s independent music scene.

Athens, GA-Inside/Out CD track listing

The Squalls - Na Na Na Na
Flat Duo Jets - Crazy Hazy Kisses
R.E.M. - (All I've Got To Do Is) Dream
Love Tractor - Pretty
Kilkenny Cats - Nightfall
Time Toy - Window Sill
Pylon - Stop It
Time Toy - Hi
Bar-B-Q Killers - His And Hearse
Dreams So Real - Golden
R.E.M. - Swan Swan H
Flat Duo Jets - Jet Tone Boogie
The Squalls - Elephant Radio

Bonus Tracks
Love Tractor - Search And Destroy
Kilkenny Cats - Room 101
Love Tractor - Got To Give It Up
Bar-B-Q Killers - Hunchback In The A.M.
Love Tractor and Peter Buck - Shattered

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Zip City wrote:
ScottyC wrote:

Sept 11:

Patterson Hood
Calexico
Avetts
St Vincent/David byrne
Will Johnson
Bob Dylan

Sept 18:
Grizzly bear
Band of horses
Menomena
Ryan Bingham
Black Prairie

Sept 25
Bettye lavette
Mumford

I added a few

Also in September 11:
Chris Robinson Brotherhood
Dinosaur Jr.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

vacant

Post by vacant »

New Local H (Hallelujah I'm A Bum) and another Drivin' n' Cryin' EP (Songs About Cars - Space & The Ramones) on 9/18 as well.

kendix

Post by kendix »

I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Van

Post by Van »

The Jim Jones Revue " The Savage Heart" October 12th.

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:New John Hiatt which comes out on September 25th

American Songwriter has posted an exclusive preview track:

"We're Alright Now"

Kudzu Guillotine

New tribute to Jesse Winchester which was spearheaded by Jimmy Buffett and Elvis Costello that is due for release on September 25th on Buffett's Mailboat Records.

Payday - James Taylor
Biloxi - Rosanne Cash
Gentleman of Leisure - Jimmy Buffett
I Wave Bye Bye - Allen Toussaint
Talk Memphis - Vince Gill
Defying Gravity - Mac McAnally
Brand New Tennessee Waltz - Lyle Lovett
Mississippi You're On My Mind - Lucinda Williams
Dangerous Fun - Rodney Crowell with EmmyLou Harris and Vince Gill
Rhumba Man - Little Feat
Quiet About It - Elvis Costello

(Excerpts taken from the album liner notes written by Bill Flanagan)

I don't know anyone who dislikes Jesse Winchester's music. It seems to me that there are only those who love it and those who have never heard it. Jesse is a songwriter's songwriter, praised by every composer from Dylan down and covered by greats from Wilson Pickett to the Everly Brothers. Jesse Winchester's songs are like mirrors in which both performers and listeners can see themselves.

Among Jesse's most prominent fans are Jimmy Buffett and Elvis Costello, both of whom have covered a number of Jesse songs on record and in concert, and both of whom performed with him on television in 2010 - Elvis on his SPECTACLE series and Jimmy on his CONCERT FOR THE GULF special after the BP oil spill...Buffett and Costello both took great pleasure in introducing one of their musical heroes to their own audience.

A year after that, in 2011, Jesse was told he had esophageal cancer. He stopped in the middle of a tour and began radiation treatments, followed by surgery. Immediately, Buffett and Costello agreed that it would be a good idea to put together a tribute album as a show of support.

At Christmas of 2011 Buffett wrote to Jesse and told him the album was coming, a gift from a whole bunch of grateful musicians and songwriters to a master. Jesse expressed his gratitude and had some good news of his own. He had beat the odds - after treatment and surgery the doctors had told him he was cancer free. Soon he returned to the road and as of this writing is performing again, making up for a lost year. A happy ending all around.

This album is a tribute to a great singer/songwriter and also to the community of musicians who pulled together to show their love and respect to Jesse when he was down. Now that Jesse is back up, make sure you see him when he comes to your town. They are not making any more like him.

Kudzu Guillotine

Johnny Cash — The Complete Columbia Album Collection is due for release on October 30th, complete details here.

Kudzu Guillotine

Due September 18th

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Aimee Mann's new one also due 9/18.

Newbury Comics is offering pre-orders of the new PH album complete w/ autographed cd booklet.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Add Grizzly Bear to the September Album Avalanche[tm]

Kudzu Guillotine

The long awaited, Rick Rubin produced new record from ZZ Top drops September 11th. According to a Billy Gibbons interview in the latest issue of Classic Rock magazine they recorded a Gillian Welch song for the new album. Not sure if it made the cut or not though.

Kudzu Guillotine

Hear Four Songs From Garth Hudson Presents
Chest Fever: A Canadian Tribute To The Band

By Evan Schlansky

On October 2, Curve Records will release Garth Hudson Presents Chest Fever: A Canadian Tribute To The Band, featuring Band organist Garth Hudson performing alongside Canadian artists like Neil Young,The Sadies, Cowboy Junkies, Blue Rodeo, and Bruce Cockburn.

The album was produced by Hudson with engineer and co-producer Peter J. Moore (Cowboy Junkies, Lucinda Williams). The playlist represents Hudson’s favorite Band tracks to play. According to the press release, Chest Fever marks “the first time a Band project has been sanctioned and produced by a member of The Band.”

The song selection ranges from post-Robbie Robertson era Band tunes like “Move To Japan” to familiar favorites like “The Shape I’m In,” to Bob Dylan’s “Clothes Line Saga” from The Basement Tapes, which The Band performed on.

“It was very organic how the artists and songs matched up so perfectly,” says the 75-year-old Hudson. “I had aural visions of how each song could be enhanced by the talent of each artist… each voice, instrument, and spirit.

“These songs were among the most enjoyable to me while the Band was together because of the words, or the story, or humor… an example of all three is the reading of ‘Clothes Line Saga,’ written by Bob Dylan and sung by Margo Timmins with Cowboy Junkies,” says Hudson. “Each of these songs stands on its own, yet they mystically sequence together as a string of jewels.”

Listen to Neil Young and The Sadies cover “This Wheel’s On Fire,” and check out the full track listing below.

Love The Band as much as we do? Look for our September/October issue, featuring The Life and Legacy Of Levon Helm, The Best Songs Of The Band, and more, coming to news stands soon.