2012 New Album Releases

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flying Rabbit

Re: 2012 New Album Releases

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

Someone correct me, but hasn't this been available on bootleg/online for quite some time? I played it on my radio show once upon a time. Its really not that spectacular.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

Someone correct me, but hasn't this been available on bootleg/online for quite some time? I played it on my radio show once upon a time. Its really not that spectacular.

I've never heard any of it but yes, it's been available as a bootleg for a long time. Apparently Page has tweaked it for an official release, it's also of much better quality then what's been passed around in trading circles throughout the years. All this according to what I've seen fans post on the official Zeppelin board.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

cortez the killer wrote:
Zip City wrote:Neil & the Horse in June

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"She’ll Be Comin ’Round The Mountain"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"

I'm as excited to hear this as I would be new material.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

This isn't a new release but for anyone that's interested, this Paul Westerberg single is now available for sale again. It can be ordered through Amoeba Records.

kendix

Post by kendix »

In anticipation of #LP3, the Titus Andronicus mixtape:

http://titusandronicusllc.tumblr.com/po ... tape-vol-1
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Kudzu Guillotine

From RollingStone.com:

Joe Walsh's first solo album in two decades finds the former James Gang member and longtime Eagle contemplating life in the digital age. Analog Man is co-produced by the guitarist and Jeff Lynne and features Walsh's brother-in-law – Ringo Starr – on drums. The album will be released on June 5th, but you can preview the title track today.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

cortez the killer wrote:

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"

I'm assuming that 'God Save the Queen' is a Sex Pistols cover (but then again who knows), which is a bit strange for an Americana album. Who knows. So long as the tour comes to the UK I don't really care.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

dogstar wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"

I'm assuming that 'God Save the Queen' is a Sex Pistols cover (but then again who knows), which is a bit strange for an Americana album. Who knows. So long as the tour comes to the UK I don't really care.

Or maybe it isn't?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don't know anything about this Hunger Games movie, but the soundtrack is very promising. It features tracks from The Decemberists, Glen Hansard, Punch Brothers, The Low Anthem, Civil Wars, Neko Case, Secret Sisters, Carolina Chocolate Drops.....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Zip City wrote:I don't know anything about this Hunger Games movie, but the soundtrack is very promising. It features tracks from The Decemberists, Glen Hansard, Punch Brothers, The Low Anthem, Civil Wars, Neko Case, Secret Sisters, Carolina Chocolate Drops.....

Just heard a piece about it on NPR and how similar the theme is to a movie that came out in 2000 called Battle Royale (which was based on a novel of the same name).

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

dogstar wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/58256/neil-young-crazy-horse-releasing-americana-june-5.html

Neil Young & Crazy Horse Releasing Americana June 5
March 21, 2012

NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE will release a very special album titled AMERICANA on June 5, 2012. AMERICANA is the first album from Neil Young & Crazy Horse in nearly nine years. Crazy Horse is: Billy Talbot, Ralph Molina, Poncho Sampedro, and Neil Young.

AMERICANA is collection of classic, American folk songs. In their day, some of these may have been referred to as "protest songs," "murder ballads," or campfire-type songs passed down with universal, relatable tales for everyman.

Some of these compositions which, like "Tom Dooley" and "Oh Susannah," were written in the 1800s, while others, like "This Land Is Your Land" (utilizing the original, widely misinterpreted "deleted verses") and "Get A Job," are mid-20th-century folk classics. It's also interesting to note that "God Save The Queen," Britain's national anthem, also became the de facto national anthem of sorts before the establishment of The Union as we know it until we came to adopt our very own "The Star Spangled Banner," which has been recognized for use as early as 1889 and made our official national anthem in 1931. Each of these compositions is very much part of the fabric of our American heritage; the roots of what we think of as "Americana" in cultural terms, using songs as a way of passing along information and documenting our past.

What ties these songs together is the fact that while they may represent an America that may no longer exist, the emotions and scenarios behind these songs still resonate with what's going on in the country today with equal, if not greater impact nearly 200 years later. The lyrics reflect the same concerns and are still remarkably meaningful to a society going through economic and cultural upheaval, especially during an election year. They are just as poignant and powerful today as the day they were written.

AMERICANA was produced by Neil and John Hanlon along with Mark Humphreys, and engineered by John Hanlon with John Hausmann and Jeff Pinn. It was recorded at Audio Casa Blanca by John Hanlon.

The track-listing is as follows:
Oh Susannah
Clementine
Tom Dooley
Gallows Pole
Get A Job
Travel On
High Flyin' Bird
She'll Be Comin 'Round The Mountain
This Land Is Your Land
Wayfarin' Stranger
God Save The Queen

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

dogstar wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"

It's not a Sex Pistols cover. Check out the link below for more info on the album.

http://download.wbr.com/neilyoung/booklet.pdf
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Bill in CT wrote:It's not a Sex Pistols cover. Check out the link below for more info on the album.

http://download.wbr.com/neilyoung/booklet.pdf

I'm disappointed by this news. Doesn't he know it's a jubilee year over here?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This one's for you, Stevie Ray:

Canada’s finest live band, The Sadies, have reunited with explicit soul singer/cult legend Andre Williams for Night & Day on Yep Roc records. Night & Day is the result of sessions that began in 2008 at Key Club Studio in Detroit and captures Andre, then 70 years old and still using at the time, at his most raw, honest, and immediate. No filter. Andre is aided by a stellar cast of musical friends, dirty bluesers who have earned the trust of the ancient hustler, including Jon Spencer (who directed these sessions) and Matt Verta-Ray of Heavy Trash, Danny Kroha of Detroit’s own gutter-blues superheroes, The Gories, the unsinkable Mekon, Jon Langford, and of course, behind it all, The Sadies’ long-time line-up of Dallas Good on guitars and keys, his brother Travis Good on guitars and fiddle, Mike Belitsky on drums, and the mighty Sean Dean on the bass. The result is a raw, gritty slice of raunch rock that has attitude in spades and the hooks and playing to back it up.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

In more Sadies related news:

Sled Island will be announcing this later today but since the Calgary Herald already beat them to the punch... Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet will play two shows, in Toronto and Calgary, to launch a reissue program of our records. Mammoth Cave Recording Company will release the three S Men albums in deluxe packages beginning with Savvy Show Stoppers on June 1. Our friend Dallas Good, of The Sadies, will be playing the bass parts of our very missed friend, the late Reid Diamond. Uh huh.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20120326

I don't know if anyone else here cares, but if this album is half as good as the reunion tour show I caught, then it should be a pleasant surprise
Last edited by Shakespeare on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I see that the All American Rejects have a new album out this week. That's gotta be their first one in quite some time, right? Anyone hear anything?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Shovels & Rope have an album coming out on July 31st called O' Be Joyful. There's also a documentary about them in the works called The Ballad of Shovels & Rope, this is the trailer for it:

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

From the North Mississippi Allstars' Facebook page:

North Mississippi Allstars are excited to announce their Songs of the South 7” Single Series. The band is planning to release a series of digital singles throughout 2012, which will be available for download via iTunes and the band’s official website. Some of the singles in the series will feature special guest appearances and some will be accompanied by a music video.

The first single in the series is the barn-burner "Rollin’ n Tumblin'", a cover of the traditional blues classic. The video for the song is available to watch now on NMA’s YouTube page.

In addition to this project, Luther is also behind three new releases that will be coming out on May 8th. I wonder if the same people that jumped all over Ryan Adams for being "too prolific" will also give Luther shit for doing the same sort of thing?

Luther Dickinson to Release Three New Records (from JamBands.com)

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

The Wilderness, forth and final volume of The Nomad Series.
Four albums of music in 20 months is unheard of these days.
It's what can happen when a band gives up on record companies.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Shovels & Rope have an album coming out on July 31st called O' Be Joyful. There's also a documentary about them in the works called The Ballad of Shovels & Rope, this is the trailer for it:

Awesome! Love those guys.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Shakespeare wrote:http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/soundgarden-release-snippet-of-first-new-song-in-15-years-20120326

I don't know if anyone else here cares, but if this album is half as good as the reunion tour show I caught, then it should be a pleasant surprise

The show I saw last summer was also really good. I'm looking forward to this album too. (I'm also excited about the movie, but that's for another thread.)
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:New Kelly Hogan due in June.

I'm going to be all over this one. I love Kelly's voice.
Not forever, just for now.

kendix

Post by kendix »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Zip City wrote:I don't know anything about this Hunger Games movie, but the soundtrack is very promising. It features tracks from The Decemberists, Glen Hansard, Punch Brothers, The Low Anthem, Civil Wars, Neko Case, Secret Sisters, Carolina Chocolate Drops.....

Just heard a piece about it on NPR and how similar the theme is to a movie that came out in 2000 called Battle Royale (which was based on a novel of the same name).

It is true that the soundtrack is pretty excellent and that the premise of Hunger Games is almost exactly the same as that of "Battle Royale," which is definitely worth a rental.

Kudzu Guillotine

'Scratch wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:New Kelly Hogan due in June.

I'm going to be all over this one. I love Kelly's voice.

I'm also looking very forward to this one. The trailer for it is hilarious in all the right ways.

kendix

Post by kendix »

Joe Pug - "The Great Despiser"

April 24, 2012

Kudzu Guillotine

Trailer for the new Dr. John album, Locked Down, which is due for release next Tuesday.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

out on 8 May. It's 4 tracks over 2 cd's / 4lps.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

not sure if they've already been mentioned but: white fence got two records coming out in april and may. both great. then there's the ty segall/white fence collab record in april as well. plus at least two segall albums more. garage rock dudes are productive.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/