2012 New Album Releases

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: 2012 New Album Releases

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Pitchfork has details on the Mermaid Avenue box set which is due on April 21st (aka Record Store Day).

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Nice. Heard III was on its way, but didn't know about the box.

You can pre-order it btw from Nonesuch for $36. Pretty good deal for the 3 cds, 1 DVD of the doc, book and mp3s. Also, if you pre-order you get a print.
http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/mermaid-avenue-the-complete-sessions

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

In response to Kudzo Guillotine's post (11/29/11 - i know i know, but I just saw it) with the sample of Patterson's "Better Than the Truth" which is supposed to be on his next solo record:
I cannot wait for this to come out! I really loved the last one (my review of that one is on Amazon.com somewhere) and am very interested where he is going to go next. I've never heard his first one - any good?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

211poundsofpork wrote:In response to Kudzo Guillotine's post (11/29/11 - i know i know, but I just saw it) with the sample of Patterson's "Better Than the Truth" which is supposed to be on his next solo record:
I cannot wait for this to come out! I really loved the last one (my review of that one is on Amazon.com somewhere) and am very interested where he is going to go next. I've never heard his first one - any good?

I like his first solo album a lot.
My friend Chris Rasmussen told me that Patterson's next album is coming out in September.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Bill in CT wrote:My friend Chris Rasmussen told me that Patterson's next album is coming out in September.

Makes sense. Gives him the entire fall/winter to tour on it if he wants to *fingers crossed*.

Kudzu Guillotine

New Kelly Hogan due in June.

vacant

Post by vacant »

Really digging the new Corrosion of Conformity album. No Pepper this time around, but Reed Mullin is back with the band. It's the same lineup that made Animosity, way back when. This new album isn't a rehash of the old hardcore days though. Musically it has more in common with Deliverance and Wiseblood than the early stuff. Woody Weatherman comes up with some of the best Iommi style riffs this side of Iommi. Good stuff!

Kudzu Guillotine

Frontier Ruckus from their new EP, Way Upstate & the Crippled Summer, pt. 2 which is out now.

Kudzu Guillotine

I have no idea when (or even if) this will ever come out but according to the Dylan fan site BobDylanIsis.com, Dylan's at work on a new record.

New Dylan Album In The Works

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Todd Snider has a Jerry Jeff Walker covers album entitled Time As We Know It: Songs of Jerry Jeff Walker. Release date on the pre-sales I've seen say April 24.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-As-We-Know-Walker/dp/B007IX39AK%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJASE6HSSVXTNREYQ%26tag%3Dsmtfx1-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB007IX39AK?afsrc=fstfx

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

wonder if he'll "officially" release the Kristofferson covers too?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

The Shithouse Wire mailserv says it was recorded last spring with Great American Taxi

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Did I miss it or has nobody said boo about the new Van Halen album? Any comments/thoughts?

Has anyone heard the new Kaiser Chiefs album? AMG gave it a pretty definitive thumbs down.

And, total shot in the dark for this board, has anyone heard the new Robert Glasper Experiment album? It looks interesting (lots of intriguing "guest stars") and AMG really likes it but i'd be interested in hearing more if anyone knows anything.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Have you warmed up to Maraqopa yet, btb?
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:Did I miss it or has nobody said boo about the new Van Halen album? Any comments/thoughts?

I bought it but have only listened to it once. Not because it's bad but because I was much more enamored of Sharon Van Etten's Tramp (which I purchased at the same time). Just goes to show how mood can dictate what type of music you're more inclined to listen to at any given time. Now that we're that much closer to Spring, temperatures are warmer and I'm getting outside more, it may be time to give the new Van Halen another spin. My first impressions were pretty much what you've probably been seeing if you've been reading any of the reviews. Ed is definitely back in fine form. It sounds like late David Lee Roth era Van Halen (minus the keyboards) which also shouldn't come as any real surprise. I'm just glad to hear Edward still rockin' it. That goes both for what I've heard on the record and some of the YouTube clips I've watched from their current tour. I'm not sure if he was still abusing drugs or alcohol back when I last saw them in '07 but he sure seems to be fully back on top of his game these days. Considering how those stories tend to end, I'd say it's nothing short of a miracle. I find that very refreshing and reassuring to see (and hear).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:Have you warmed up to Maraqopa yet, btb?

Haven't had a chance to listen to it any further but will.

Thanks, KG.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Caetano Veloso & David Byrne - Live at Carnegie Hall.

First third: Veloso solo: B+ It's Veloso so it's pretty much guaranteed to be good (don't know if there's any more sure thing in music), and it is, but to these less than expert ears it just sounds like the studio transported to the stage.

Second third: Byrne solo: A- AMG says Byrne sounds overexcited and nervous, to me he sounds glad to be there and joyous. I think the stripped down Heads' songs work great.

Final third: Veloso & Byrne: A It just works.

Not a lot of listens yet but right now, this and Lucero are my co-favorites of the year to date.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

beantownbubba wrote:Has anyone heard the new Kaiser Chiefs album? AMG gave it a pretty definitive thumbs down.

Yup, its pretty poopy. There is a definite lack of excitement and energy that was present in their first couple of records. Not to mention the songs just aren't good either. I listened on spotify and was promptly glad I didn't waste money on it.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

beantownbubba wrote:Caetano Veloso & David Byrne - Live at Carnegie Hall.

First third: Veloso solo: B+ It's Veloso so it's pretty much guaranteed to be good (don't know if there's any more sure thing in music), and it is, but to these less than expert ears it just sounds like the studio transported to the stage.

Second third: Byrne solo: A- AMG says Byrne sounds overexcited and nervous, to me he sounds glad to be there and joyous. I think the stripped down Heads' songs work great.

Final third: Veloso & Byrne: A It just works.

Not a lot of listens yet but right now, this and Lucero are my co-favorites of the year to date.

Thanks for the review BtB. Looking forward to hearing this one.

Kudzu Guillotine

This vinyl only release has some Zep fans up in arms because they don't want to have to buy a turntable. I say good on Jimmy Page for sending a fuck you to the download world. Of course, someone will rip it to mp3 (just as they did with the vinyl only re-release of the Death Wish II soundtrack which came out last year) but if it causes just one fan to go out and buy a turntable, I think Page would have accomplished something.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Zip City wrote:Neil & the Horse in June

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"She’ll Be Comin ’Round The Mountain"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"

Disappointing that the jam session didn't materialize into new original material (at least for now)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"

Disappointing that the jam session didn't materialize into new original material (at least for now)

It smacks of hucksterism to me. They gotta have a new album out to justify going on the road and charging people a small fortune to see them play live again.
Keep calm and have a cigar

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"

The jam session was essentially two older songs ("Cortez" and "Fuckin' Up"). Plus, if you watched the video, several of the song titles and lyrics from this upcoming album were shown.
- DPM

cortez the killer

sactochris wrote:It smacks of hucksterism to me. They gotta have a new album out to justify going on the road and charging people a small fortune to see them play live again.

I don't know about that. Remove the new album from the mix and the demand/excitement for a Neil Young & Crazy Horse tour is still very high. I'm going to do something revolutionary. I'm going to wait till I actually hear the album (if it is ever actually released) before I form an opinion on it.
- DPM

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

cortez the killer wrote:
sactochris wrote:It smacks of hucksterism to me. They gotta have a new album out to justify going on the road and charging people a small fortune to see them play live again.

I don't know about that. Remove the new album from the mix and the demand/excitement for a Neil Young & Crazy Horse tour is still very high. I'm going to do something revolutionary. I'm going to wait till I actually hear the album (if it is ever actually released) before I form an opinion on it.

I will admit that my opinion is somewhat jaded. I'm just glad that I know in advance that I won't be able to afford to go see them, unlike several years back when I was all stoked to see Neil with Lucinda Williams opening and then couldn't afford to go when I found out that the tickets started at something like $85.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

cortez the killer wrote:

"Oh Susannah"
"Clementine
"
"Tom Dooley"
"
Gallows Pole
"
"Get A Job
"
"Travel On
"
"High Flyin’ Bird
"
"This Land Is Your Land
"
"Wayfarin’ Stranger
"
"God Save The Queen"

http://www.ausbcomp.com/~bbott/cars/1905Loco/index.html
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

cortez the killer

Locomobile > LincVolt
- DPM