Lucero finishes tracking new record

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flying Rabbit

Lucero finishes tracking new record

Post by Flying Rabbit »

http://ardentstudios.com/2011/10/18/lucero-finishes-tracking-new-record-in-studio-a/

Next to no info, but saw this come across from Ardent Studios. Nice to know the new record is imminent.

uncle rickey

Re: Lucero finishes tracking new record

Post by uncle rickey »

Amy LaVere last week on twitter said she was in the studio recording a duet with Ben for Lucero's new album. That'll be interesting, her high soft voice with Ben's rasp.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I know they're playing new stuff on the tour. I shall report back!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

This is the best music news I have heard in a long time.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Really excited for this. Maybe, just maybe, they will pass through Iowa on their next tour for this.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I was hoping they'd "accidentally" forget to tell the horn section they were recording, but no such luck.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Finally ordered Ben's solo album...I've been on a Cormac McCarthy trip and knew nothing about this.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Penny Lane wrote:Finally ordered Ben's solo album...I've been on a Cormac McCarthy trip and knew nothing about this.

Even though I have all of their stuff, Last Pale Light is my favorite.
Not forever, just for now.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Penny Lane wrote:Finally ordered Ben's solo album...I've been on a Cormac McCarthy trip and knew nothing about this.

The Last Pale Light In The West is one of my most played albums ever....wish it were longer. Love Cormac McCarthy also. I almost didn't get into McCarthy at all. When I first heard of him I read great reviews of The Road and went to buy it and saw that it was displayed as one of Oprah's Book Club selections and that kind of turned me off but after reading even more good reviews I bought it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just thought that it was kind of strange that a violent book like The Road would be an Oprah Book Club selection. After The Road I read Blood Meridian which is the book that Ben's album is based on, I asked Ben if McCarthy had heard the album and Ben said "I hope not".
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

rlipps wrote:I was hoping they'd "accidentally" forget to tell the horn section they were recording, but no such luck.

Are you one of those people who accused them of making a ska record?

I was kinda hoping there were more horns on the new one.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

sactochris wrote:
rlipps wrote:I was hoping they'd "accidentally" forget to tell the horn section they were recording, but no such luck.

I enjoyed the horns too. I even liked the horns that were added to some of the old songs when played live. I am not saying I want horns on all future releases but the ones that do have them I like.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The horns were definitely an instant turn off for me given the sound of their earlier records. I'd go so far as saying jarring. Because of my expectations going in I hated 1372 Overton Park for two years. Now I've recently learned to like it quite a bit and even (gasp) welcomed the horns, it's not surprising that older fans are put off by the abrupt change of musical direction.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The horns were definitely an instant turn off for me given the sound of their earlier records. I'd go so far as saying jarring. Because of my expectations going in I hated 1372 Overton Park for two years. Now I've recently learned to like it quite a bit and even (gasp) welcomed the horns, it's not surprising that older fans are put off by the abrupt change of musical direction.

It's by far the best thing they have ever done, and most likely, the best thing they will ever do. It's a beautiful love letter to the sounds of Memphis.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I didn't like the horns but reading about why the horns were there and background of that album and the Memphis scene, I appreciate it more.

Finished The Road, All the Pretty Horses, now reading The Crossing. Just ordered Blood Meridian.

Scratch--that's how I feel about Dan Auerbach's solo album compared with Black Keys albums.

There's a really cool Ben performance on NPR, where he talks about the book and the album (and his brother's a filmmaker?). If you search under artist, I think it's the only thing under his name.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

sactochris wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:The horns were definitely an instant turn off for me given the sound of their earlier records. I'd go so far as saying jarring. Because of my expectations going in I hated 1372 Overton Park for two years. Now I've recently learned to like it quite a bit and even (gasp) welcomed the horns, it's not surprising that older fans are put off by the abrupt change of musical direction.

It's by far the best thing they have ever done, and most likely, the best thing they will ever do. It's a beautiful love letter to the sounds of Memphis.

I wouldn't go that far. I prefer Tennessee and Rebels, Rouges and Sworn Brothers over 1372 Overton Park.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

sactochris wrote:It's by far the best thing they have ever done, and most likely, the best thing they will ever do. It's a beautiful love letter to the sounds of Memphis.

I certainly respect that opinion, and although as I've said I have really come to like the record a lot in the past week, by no means do I feel it's their best work. That would be That Much Further West IMHO. A lot of folks would probably say Nobody's Darlings or Tenessee. My point I guess is when a band drastically changes it's trademark sound fans are likely to jump ship. Look how many people detest Go-Go Boots simply because it isn't Decoration Day. You have to respect those opinions even when you don't share them. Just sayin.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

sactochris wrote:

It wasn't the fact that I'm anti-horns, I just didn't think they fit their sound and the songs on that album. On the contrary, I actually don't mind the horns on the new Glossary, it seems like they fit, whereas I thought the horns on 1372 Overton Park were just there to say, "Hey, look at us, we've matured as a band and now we've added a horn section". Just my opinion, but it is definitely at the bottom for me when looking at the entire Lucero discography.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Nobody's Darlings and Tennesee are perfect albums to me.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Yeah, Ben's solo is solid and I just kinda stumbled into it, if I remember correctly. I think that's why its been such a steady for me, because I came into it completely clean not expecting anything.

As for the new record:

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

I have been waiting wayyyyy too long for this record. All of the new stuff I have heard sounds awesome, even if only acoustic thus far.
As for the horns and 1372 and all that... I'm for whatever. 1372 isn't my favorite album, but it was the one that got me to listen to them a ton more than I had already. I actually think it's a very underrated album. There are a bunch of songs that get lost in the shuffle, to songs from Nobody's Darlings, Tennessee and That Much Further West, but there are some straight up perfect songs on that record. Darken My Door rules every time I listen to it. and Mom... breaks me poor little heart every single spin

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Penny Lane wrote:Nobody's Darlings and Tennesee are perfect albums to me.

Yeah, totally. They cast the die.
Not forever, just for now.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I really like all of their albums, and I LOVE the horns. Absolutely love it. When I got 1372, I couldn't quit listening for nearly a month. They aren't afraid to take risks and go in new directions, and they attack that challenge with a confidence that helps them nail it.

I'm glad to hear they're bringing the horns back, but would like to see them do another stripped down album in the future.

I also think I'm the only person on the board who prefers full band Lucero to Last Pale Light. I like Last Pale Light a lot, but prefer the full band.

And if we're going to rank the albums, I'd go...
Nobody's Darlings
1372 Overton Park
Rebels, Rogues, and Sworn Brothers
Tennessee
That Much Further West
Lucero
Last Pale Light

I don't count Attic Tapes. All I really enjoy on that is the Kiss the Bottle cover.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:I really like all of their albums, and I LOVE the horns. Absolutely love it. When I got 1372, I couldn't quit listening for nearly a month. They aren't afraid to take risks and go in new directions, and they attack that challenge with a confidence that helps them nail it.

I'm glad to hear they're bringing the horns back, but would like to see them do another stripped down album in the future.

I also think I'm the only person on the board who prefers full band Lucero to Last Pale Light. I like Last Pale Light a lot, but prefer the full band.

And if we're going to rank the albums, I'd go...
Nobody's Darlings
1372 Overton Park
Rebels, Rogues, and Sworn Brothers
Tennessee
That Much Further West
Lucero
Last Pale Light

I don't count Attic Tapes. All I really enjoy on that is the Kiss the Bottle cover.

Hmm the ranking game. Ok I'll play but I'm not including Last Pale Light because it is a Ben Nichols solo record.

That Much Further West
Nobody's Darlings
Tennessee
1372 Overton Park
Rebels, Rogues & Sworn Brothers
Lucero

Oh and after finally figuring it out, 1372 is climbing the charts. Could end up as high as #2 eventually I think. Time will tell.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I wonder if I take to 1372 more than most because that's the point I really started listening to Lucero. I didn't have this impression of what their sound was that was just completely rocked by the horn section. I heard the horns, and then dug into the back catalog. My initial impression of the band was that they used a lot of horns and so I just didn't see it as the dramatic, unexpected shift others saw.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

What books have you read? My two faves are Suttree and Blood Meridian but have read them all.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RevMatt wrote:

What books have you read? My two faves are Suttree and Blood Meridian but have read them all.

The Road, All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, just ordered Blood Meridian (which I've heard is the best)..

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Started with Suttree, loved it. Then All the Pretty Horses, currentl working on The Crossing.
After the trilogy The Road is waiting, the I'll wade into Blood Meridian.
Hey, I posted on a Lucero thread.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »