3DD Artist of the Week (5/17/10) - Jack Rose

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

3DD Artist of the Week (5/17/10) - Jack Rose

Post by cortez the killer »

This week's artist comes courtesy of tinnitus photography.

Jack Rose - 1971-2009

Jack started out his musical career w/ a far different sound, and end goal, from where he eventually ended up and made his largest mark. Along w/ some friends in Virginia, he was part of the avant-noise band Pelt, who were known for their droning, occasionally abrasive sounds, but gradually Jack would start to incorporate strains of the music (sometimes commonly known as 'American Primitivism') he'd later concentrate on, first on the _For MIchael Hannahs_ and then most prominently on 2003's _Pearls from the River_.

At that point he'd already started exploring his musings on steel string/open tuned guitars with the release of _Red Horse, White Mule_ and _Opium Musick_, both on Eclipse records. Here he started tentative steps in the fashion of giants like John Fahey and Robbie Basho, and one could say that his drone background would set him up well for this sort of music, but whereas both Fahey and Basho showed strong interest in Indian raags and Eastern music, Jack's love was set in the primitive blues of America, the kind of stuff that Fahey made a living in buying and selling rare 78s to augment his musician's income.

In addition to 6 and 12 string guitar, Jack would also play slide and banjo. His skills grew enormously as he delved into this world, and his respect from fellow colleagues such as Steffen Basho-Jungens, Glenn Jones, Ben Chasny and others was loud and appreciative. I first caught Jack in a local gig he did w/ Glenn Jones, at the Lily Pad. I remember it being an extremely hot summer evening, and i was just getting into concert photography at the time. I grabbed an empty seat in the 3rd row, and settled in, with a friend joining me shortly, a six back of cold Leffe in the bag he carried in his hand. We were taken to another world, one of repetition, circling figures, inventive runs, gloriously smeared slides and plenty of smiles. Right from the start you could tell that Jack was so engrossed in what he was doing and creating, and that he was so natural doing it. He'd close his eyes, move his fingers, and let the music carry all of us away. I met him for the first time that night after the show, bought a Pelt 2LP and a solo 7" from him and a poster, knowing that I'd just seen the glimpse of a prodigious talent w/ a bright future ahead.

Over the next couple of years I saw him 4 more times, and he'd always have Glenn come out on stage for "Linden Ave Stomp," a song that they both clearly delighted in playing together. Jack opened for legends like Peter Walker, played a loft party in crowded Chinatown apartment, opened for doom/metal mantra riff masters Om, and played as part of the Byron Coley-organized No More Bush tour. He was equally at home in a variety of worlds. One of my favorite images of Jack is where he and Byron are listening as Damon Krukowski (ex-Galaxie 500) is reading some hilarious letters received via his private print publiciation operation Exact Change.

Jack would also re-team w/ old Pelt member Mike Gangloff as Black Twig Pickers where they indulged their love of bluegrass, appalachia folk and just good ol' general front porch pickin', sawin' and grinnin' music.

Jack created his masterpiece with _Kensington Blues_, a work of really astounding power and beauty. The track "Cross The North Fork" truly showcases what Jack and his music is all about, and the version of this on 2009's _Black Dirt Sessions_ is even better. Jack was busy in 2009, playing in Europe and working on his next record, which was to come out on Thrill Jockey, his highest profile release to date. Things were moving forward. Tragedy struck in the form of a sudden heart attack in December of last year, before the record was out (_Luck In The Valley_ was released this past February). He was 38.

I still find it hard to believe he's gone, and that the No More Bush tour was the last time I'd talk to him. I couldn't claim to be his friend as I didn't know him that well, but as an informal acquaintance he always had time to shoot the shit about anything, and I was glad to help him out w/ my photography where I could.

For those trying to figure out where to start, I'd definitely say Kensington Blues, and then anywhere after that won't be a wrong turn (though the _I Do Play Rock and Roll_ does hearken back to his noise days w/ Pelt). There's also a new DVD w/ Jack and Glenn that I've not watched yet, but I'm sure it's quality stuff.

here's a random smattering of songs to check out

Goodbye, Dr. Ragtime. You're sorely missed.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

DJ Golf

Re: 3DD Artist of the Week (5/17/10) - Jack Rose

Post by DJ Golf »

Jack used to shop in the record store I worked in the last few months I lived in Blacksburg, VA. He was in Pelt at the time and IIRC had just started seriously teaching himself acoustic guitar. I became a fan of his solo records later on. He was a good guy and an amazing talent.

joelle

Post by joelle »

hey tim
very nice.
i will be honest, i had never heard of jack rose before.
when i watched the first youtube, and saw no mic...i was a little unsure. because,for me, in music, the lyrics almost always come first. then, the music.
i know i am backassward on that one.
anyway, by the 2nd video, i could actually hear/feel the words out of his instrument. amazing. i love when that happens. it takes a tremendously talented musician.
finally, i do not know if it was the lighting or the film quality or the setting of the 3rd video, but i began to feel like there were ( almost) lyrics. the last song started like a lullaby, or folk song, an oral tradition handed down.
i really like the way he plays and the way it sounds. truly this man was incredibly gifted and passionate.
i am usually pretty slow to step outside of my musical comfort zone. i can be stubborn and feel happy and safe in my 'wheelhouse' so to speak.
thanks for writing about this guy.
i am sorry to read he has passed, especially at such a young age.
i look forward to seeking out some of his work.
cheers!
joelle

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

thanks Joelle. it's very nice of you. my end goal is really just to share the music i love and think deserves a listen, and i'm glad that this connected with you.

8-)

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Jack Rose was/is one of my favorite musical artists. Its really a shame that we won't be able to hear any new output from him, except whats released posthumously. I recommend this DVD pretty highly:

http://www.strange-attractors.com/catalog/saah058.html

I ordered it, and if you want to see 2 fantastic guitarists at work, you won't be disappointed.

Also, there was a tribute record put out digitally. Its about 7 hours of content:

http://fina-music.com/catalog/index.html?id=104712

Again, highly rec'd.

Finally--http://www.sendspace.com/file/84ymzg suoni per il popolo festival at the wonderful la sala rossa venue in montreal in june 2006.

If you dig him, hit me and I'll rec some more like him.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice work, tim. Is that last pic yours?

I would have been willing to bet that this series would not include any artists I hadn't even heard of, and i would have lost w/in 3 wks, lol. Loved the clips and will definitely seek out more. Thanks.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Thanks BTB. yep, that's my photo.

i was honored that the New York Times, Boston Globe and The Guardian all used photos of mine for Jack's obituary, but i'd rather have not had that chance arise so suddenly.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:Thanks BTB. yep, that's my photo.

i was honored that the New York Times, Boston Globe and The Guardian all used photos of mine for Jack's obituary, but i'd rather have not had that chance arise so suddenly.

I hear that, but if they're anything like this one it's easy to see why. Not that there's any doubt at this point, but you are really good at what u do :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard