Artist of the Week 10/10/11 - Lydia Loveless

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the Week 10/10/11 - Lydia Loveless

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Some really great songwriting with a three guitar attack and a killer rhythm section. Sound familiar? OK, no keyboards.

Moving away from the alt-country towards something less alt-country was inevitable with this band and I think it works really well.

As Joni says, "always go to the show". Their live show kicks ass.

I echo smitty's thank you to Ben for enlightening us as to the production insider stuff.
Dave

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

This is kind of hard to articulate, but I love how different songs on Real sound like they could have come from different eras (Same to You wouldn't have been out of place on nineties alternative radio, Heaven the eighties, Out on Love the seventies, etc) but at the same time sound completely contemporary and not at all like pastiches. It also doesn't seem deliberate like a lot of other throwback artists that are big these days, it feels completely natural.

Oh and how much fun does she sound like she's having singing Midwestern Guys? In fact her vocals have gotten subtly more emotive all over the record. She's ahead of the game right now.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think Heaven is a Prince tribute.

The whole sequence about playing Def Leppard albums for blowjobs on Midwestern Guys is brilliant vocal delivery. Smitty's right on.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hadn't read this guy's stuff before. Rob Harvilla is a writer.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:I think Heaven is a Prince tribute.
It may be in a sense but the record was finished last summer. Not trying to be pedantic or an asshole, btw.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
It may be in a sense but the record was finished last summer. Not trying to be pedantic or an asshole, btw.
Was it around when she covered I Would Die 4 U?

Maybe not a tribute as in "a posthumous nod" but more so in the "obvious influence is obvious" sort of way, then.

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Was it around when she covered I Would Die 4 U?
I'm not sure, I just remember reading that the new album was done at least as far back as last summer. From what I can recollect, her cover of "I Would Die 4 U" was done as sort of a joke at the Bloodshot Records offices in Chicago. This NPR piece on it aired in March of 2015.
Iowan wrote:Maybe not a tribute as in "a posthumous nod" but more so in the "obvious influence is obvious" sort of way, then.
This has been posted either in this thread or the Cover Songs one previously but she was doing this cover during her acoustic performances that accompanied the Who is Lydia Loveless? documentary screenings. In fact, the same weekend she did it at the Pour House in Raleigh back in May, John Howie, Jr. and special guest Daniel Chavis (of the Veldt) had done it earlier in the day out at Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw during the Stand Against HB2 protest concert.

Kudzu Guillotine

On the "Heaven" / Prince tip, this is from a new interview from No Depression:
One such song “Heaven” with its disco dance floor groove, grew out of a dream Loveless claims she wrote in her sleep. She asked her band to imagine it was like a Smiths song except that they were playing it. She also was intrigued by doing “a Prince mixing kind of thing.” But masked in the disco dance floor groove of “Heaven,” our connections seem illusive. If we meet at the gates, we’ll just turn away from each other.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

After about a dozen spins, I'm quite partial to Side Two. The music leans towards the alt-country side of the band's resume.

Non-east coast DBT fans are in for a treat.
Dave

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for posting that Clams. I was enjoying reading that and then some loser comes on and starts slamming Lydia. WTF? You know musicians are actually people...with feelings and shit.

I don't get the random attack bullshit. The worst part of the internet.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Rocky wrote:Thanks for posting that Clams. I was enjoying reading that and then some loser comes on and starts slamming Lydia. WTF? You know musicians are actually people...with feelings and shit.

That's the nature of reddit, especially.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Rocky wrote:Thanks for posting that Clams. I was enjoying reading that and then some loser comes on and starts slamming Lydia. WTF? You know musicians are actually people...with feelings and shit.

I've heard about that, which would explain why I never venture there. It seems like there would be someone moderating the questions to prevent that sort of bullshit.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I have no desire to go to Reddit either. That place is a mess
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm a pretty avid redditor and have been for years. You figure out which subs to steer clear from.

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

Zip City wrote:I have no desire to go to Reddit either. That place is a mess
…and that's gonna be pretty much the end of her AMA Redditing experiences. I suppose everyone needs to "toughen up" somewhat but maybe the onus should be on people to not be douchebags, when given the opportunity. Lotsa great people chimed in though with questions so that's cool. It's weird to transition to something that strangers consider to be a "celebrity" which i guess entitles everyone to just sling poop w/ no consequences or regard for humanity. It's ok to not like our record or our music; it would be weird to expect otherwise. No reason to get mean about it though.

Having said that, our album release show is tomorrow, our tour starts Friday, and we FINALLY got a box (of 50?!?!) LP''s from the record company so hopefully we'll have some to sell for you on tour. Live is about to get simpler and way cooler for us so we hope to see you in the next few months.

-Ben
have a good time all the time

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty wrote:I'm a pretty avid redditor and have been for years. You figure out which subs to steer clear from.
Yep, same. There are a ton of cool, respectful, well-policed subreddits. I've yet to find a good one for music, though.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Smitty wrote:

I've heard about that, which would explain why I never venture there. It seems like there would be someone moderating the questions to prevent that sort of bullshit.
If you don't have good online moderation, you generally get a shithole instead of a conversation; bad moderation, while suboptimal, is almost always better than no moderation at all. My sympathies to Lydia.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I was really impressed by how tight the band was Saturday night. It was a short set, but they absolutely brought it. Blammo looks like he's straight up attacking his bass. Lydia blew the doors off the First Ave crowd with her vox on "Out on Love". Todd May is ridiculously talented.

I briefly complimented Blammo on the set at the merch booth, but didn't want to bug him with fanboy shit so I kept it brief (I was wearing a long sleeve t with a beer drinking German guy on it and a ball cap). Can't wait to see them headlining!

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

Iowan wrote:I was really impressed by how tight the band was Saturday night. It was a short set, but they absolutely brought it. Blammo looks like he's straight up attacking his bass. Lydia blew the doors off the First Ave crowd with her vox on "Out on Love". Todd May is ridiculously talented.

I briefly complimented Blammo on the set at the merch booth, but didn't want to bug him with fanboy shit so I kept it brief (I was wearing a long sleeve t with a beer drinking German guy on it and a ball cap). Can't wait to see them headlining!

Hey, thanks! Glad you dug it. Hope you get to see the band again soon-ish because I'm pretty sure the sets will just get better. (it wasn't BAD but we can do better). Still getting warmed up & still getting the kinks out of the songs.

It was a gas to play there for sure, and let me just say the Truckers are freaking KILLING it. Not that anyone expected that they wouldn't, but as a guy who's gonna see a few of their shows in the next month, they seem to have no problem changing things up from night to night & with the nature of the content of the new album, there's a purpose behind the band besides southern rock partying or whatever some people might expect. It's PALPABLE. It's an honor to share the stage with this particular band at this particular point in time in American society; it's not often that good ol' rock and roll feels vital, but with these dudes it truly does.

Plus they are super-nice guys, and they let us play 45 minutes and they give us plenty of room on stage. Those things are not a given from headliners; they could be total dicks, give us 36" of stage & 25 minutes of time & $100 & we'd still do it. But you can tell DBT didn't want to be huge just so they could lord it over others and make them feel small. The Truckers know it feels way better to be cool, and they sure as hell are.

Two days off feels like an eternity on tour; we are lousy tourists and by the second day you can forget why you're even here. So we can't wait to get out of this Bozeman hotel & rejoin the party in Missoula tomorrow, and then the freaking west coast awaits. Looking forward to seeing you guys out there.

Ben "can you tell I'm lonely" Lamb
have a good time all the time

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Well said, Ben. I speak for all of northern California when I say we can't wait. Eight days until Sacramento!
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

looking forward to seeing both bands tomorrow night!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Really enjoyed Lydia's set last night. Great band & songs. A perfect opener for DBT IMHO.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Caught them opening 4 shows. They are just so good. Can't wait to see a full set. This is from night 1 at the Fillmore

Always go to the show

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Apparently some sbds floating around of recent shows. Anyone have links?

Ben,
You OK with this?
Dave

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

From Sacramento--not the best angle

Always go to the show

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I'm looking forward to the show in Birmingham tomorrow night. Any other 3DDers going?
Let the outside air in

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Lydia is the musical guest on the very funny "Improv 4 Humans" podcast this week. I haven't listened yet but in past episodes they usually have the guest play a song, talk about it, then use that as a springboard for an improv scene. Highly recommended.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/lydia-lo ... gage-muse/
ain't no static on the gospel radio